E90Post

Lux Angel Eyes

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Alot of people HATE BMW.

10-06-2005, 06:17 PM   #89
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep

Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

Send a message via AIM to Squawks
MCS, I think the greatest factor in determing pompousness among drivers is the person's attitude/ego itself. You're right, that Porsche, Ferrari, and even Jaguar owners are not really granted the right to exuberantly show an air of superiority but it's hard to deny that owners of such exotics can't help but feel a little pride, especially considering the fact that exotics such as Porsche and Ferraris are seldomly seen in most places, barring rich neighborhoods and stretches.

In the auto hierarchy, BMW is ascribed as being near the top. You can name cars/brands that are superior to BMW but on the other hand you can enumerate even more that are deemed inferior. The higher you go, the greater the chance of arrogance from hubris. Of course, there are exceptions, and these are folks who are truly humble at heart regardless of affluence.

Now, regarding my captious comment claiming that BMW gets the shaft for enveloping the greatest portion of irreverent drivers - while I can't say I have any quantitative evidence to approbate my words, I can only lend personal experience. There are more BMW folks who preach that "BMW is better than Audi" than Audi folks who preach that "Audi is better than BMW" around my area. A lot of folks even from the Japanese brands still praise BMW. There aren't too many BMW owners who stop short of ridiculing other brands.

My theory: people who buy BMW consist of a lot of aggressive drivers who want the most out of their drive. They eventually develope an air of competitive nature. Afterall, how else are those BMW commercials conveyed on your TV screen? That's right - high tempo music, E90 racing through curves, lots of adrenaline. Markets the thrill and excitement of the BMW. Let's then look at the TL commercial, there are a few. The car is barely moving. They even get stuck in traffic. The other commercial featuring a fingerprint in the dunes marketed towards those tech savvy individuals - afterall, it showed off the navigation's touch-screen ability. Infiniti's commercials tend to lean on the luxury side of things.

Epitome of my post: BMW apparently is doing a good job in attracting the most pompous individuals through its marketing and renown image being the "Ultimate Driving Machine".
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2005, 07:05 PM   #90
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2006 E90

Squawks: I need your help since you're good with words - - -

A. I saw Jimmy eat an apple.
B. I saw Jimmy ate an apple.

I tried explaining it to one of my students' parent.....
that sentence A is the correct one, but she wouldn't buy it.
How can I explain it in simple English where she will understand.
      10-06-2005, 07:09 PM   #91
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaTuReB0Y

Shoot...even I now the answer to this

A) is correct.
B) implies past tense. In order for it to be correct, it should read "I saw Jimmy had eaten an apple" or "I see Jimmy ate an apple".
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2005, 07:11 PM   #92
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp1183
Shoot...even I now the answer to this

A) is correct.
B) implies past tense. In order for it to be correct, it should read "I saw Jimmy had eaten an apple".

I'm talking about sentence A and B only!
      10-06-2005, 07:11 PM   #93
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm talking about sentence A and B only!
Wait...what??? So am I!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2005, 07:16 PM   #94
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep

Drives: 04 X5 3.0, 07 530xiT

Quote:

This thread is getting wierder and wierder!!

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2005, 07:17 PM   #95
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
United_States
Rep

Any English professor or teacher in here?? LOL!
      10-06-2005, 07:17 PM   #96
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewtheBassman
This thread is getting wierder and wierder!!
Gee, what makes you say that?

Natureboy, what are you talking about? Is my answer correct?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2005, 07:20 PM   #97
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Any English professor or teacher in here?? LOL!
I'll have you know I got straight A's in English class, thank you very much. How could anyone screw up a language they already speak?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2005, 07:31 PM   #98
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep

Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

Send a message via AIM to Squawks
My grammar is horrible, and I'm not pusillanimous to deny it.

For B), you can't see an event that took place already. You can say "I saw Jimmy after he ate an apple". It wouldn't make too much sense otherwise. You can say "I heard Jimmy ate an apple".

Enough of these detractions. It seems that my grandiloquence has stirred up a bad imbroglio.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2005, 07:32 PM   #99
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep

Drives: 04 X5 3.0, 07 530xiT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp1183
I'll have you know I got straight A's in English class, thank you very much. How could anyone screw up a language they already speak?
Check out his guy's posts "aimare4losers"!

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2005, 07:41 PM   #100
Imperial
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: '06 330i

Send a message via AIM to Imperial Send a message via Skype™ to Imperial
so I was goign to respond to something about E90 or BMW haters, but then I continued reading this thread, and now I've completely lost it.

so um, right.
      10-06-2005, 07:53 PM   #101
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think I've got it!!!
Sentence A is objective: I saw Jimmy/him eat an apple.
Sentence B is subjective: I saw Jimmy/he ate an apple. But in this sentence, using two past tense verbs "saw" and "ate" is incorrect. You can't use those two in the same sentence I think ...You can only say "I see Jimmy ate an apple".

So, am I right? I think I am! What do I win???
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2005, 07:53 PM   #102
NaTuReB0Y