E90Post
 


VIBE Motorsports
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > Getting Tints this week



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-24-2011, 01:16 AM   #23
danny156b
Private
 
Drives: IS350
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Centreville, VA

Posts: 92
iTrader: (1)

I got my car tinted at TNT and he did nothing special about the rear dot matrix. So much for being a perfectionist... I am considering re-tinting elsewhere.
danny156b is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-24-2011, 08:02 AM   #24
Verbiage
I swag on 'em.
 
Verbiage's Avatar
 
Drives: N54B30
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: MD

Posts: 8,133
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseto View Post
They must have to make the tint which is why it takes 1-2 days




I'm running 20% all around, and I went to National Glass Tinting in Kensington. Mark did an excellent job, in my opinion. I'm not too much of a dot matrix freak myself, though. And I've got an E90.
__________________
Peep my music shit here
Verbiage is offline   Jamaica
0
Reply With Quote
      05-24-2011, 08:15 AM   #25
pseto
Major General
 
pseto's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 E92 ZCP, M Roadster, X5 4.4
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Columbia, MD

Posts: 6,413
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian III View Post

I'm running 20% all around, and I went to National Glass Tinting in Kensington. Mark did an excellent job, in my opinion. I'm not too much of a dot matrix freak myself, though. And I've got an E90.
e90 guys have no jurisdiction in this thread!!! you don't know what us e92 guys have to go through to find a tint guy that can actually walk the walk and not feed us a heaping ton of BS
__________________
Paul Seto - BMW Car Club of America
National Capital Chapter (MD/DC/NoVA), President & Social Chairman

Become a BMW CCA member & reference my member# 339225
Join our NCC Facebook Page
pseto is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-24-2011, 08:34 AM   #26
OneThreeFive
Lieutenant
 
OneThreeFive's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NoVA

Posts: 579
iTrader: (11)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny156b View Post
I got my car tinted at TNT and he did nothing special about the rear dot matrix. So much for being a perfectionist... I am considering re-tinting elsewhere.
Did you see this thread? http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=513195
OneThreeFive is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-24-2011, 09:14 AM   #27
pseto
Major General
 
pseto's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 E92 ZCP, M Roadster, X5 4.4
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Columbia, MD

Posts: 6,413
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneThreeFive View Post
I went 3 times to have my tint corrected and during the second visit, the tinter used the glue method. Needless to say, the 3rd visit is when vinyl was used.

I was one of the guinea pigs to try all 3 methods 4 years ago and unfortunately it wasn't planned that way.
__________________
Paul Seto - BMW Car Club of America
National Capital Chapter (MD/DC/NoVA), President & Social Chairman

Become a BMW CCA member & reference my member# 339225
Join our NCC Facebook Page
pseto is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-24-2011, 10:58 AM   #28
OneThreeFive
Lieutenant
 
OneThreeFive's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NoVA

Posts: 579
iTrader: (11)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by catcher22 View Post
Doctors orders?

I may be able to get a note. Anyone gotten a doctors note after getting lasik?? They stress wearing sunglasses/seeing as little UV light as possible after the surgery.
You probably have a good chance with this. I went through an optometrist for my medical authorization. All the authorization gets you is 35% on the fronts and windshield.

DMV Form: http://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/pdf/med20.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseto View Post
I went 3 times to have my tint corrected and during the second visit, the tinter used the glue method. Needless to say, the 3rd visit is when vinyl was used.

I was one of the guinea pigs to try all 3 methods 4 years ago and unfortunately it wasn't planned that way.
That's unfortunate. Are you happy with the results since that time? Do you have any pictures?

I have been unhappy with the dot matrix on my car since I got it done, but redoing the tint fell further down my mod list. I might want to revisit that after seeing some of these latest posts and getting a better idea of what options are out there.
OneThreeFive is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-24-2011, 02:59 PM   #29
Verbiage
I swag on 'em.
 
Verbiage's Avatar
 
Drives: N54B30
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: MD

Posts: 8,133
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseto View Post
e90 guys have no jurisdiction in this thread!!! you don't know what us e92 guys have to go through to find a tint guy that can actually walk the walk and not feed us a heaping ton of BS
I can imagine


You guys have the sexy bodied cars, though. So its a nice trade-off.
__________________
Peep my music shit here
Verbiage is offline   Jamaica
0
Reply With Quote
      05-24-2011, 10:51 PM   #30
Super Amjo
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 09 335i
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: VA

Posts: 331
iTrader: (5)

I have a docs note and like the person above said - it only gets you 35 all around. BTW - I just got it from a family doc, he didn't even ask why - his thing was 'it's ur car and it's not affecting anyone else so who cares'

Never been pulled over for my tint, but I like to have the docs note as reassurance -
Super Amjo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-14-2011, 03:42 PM   #31
catcher22
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Virginia

Posts: 354
iTrader: (1)

I wanted to send a follow up since it's been a while. I got the tints done a few weeks back. Sorry I haven't gotten to uploading pics yet but I still plan to.

Well, I honestly wasn't impressed at all with Matt, his business attitude, or the quality of his work. Am I happy with the results? Somewhat/yes. But he didn't do anything about the dot matrix, and it looks pretty bad from up close. I also didn't realize there's dot matrix on ALL the windows (the edges of the front and side windows have it too), so the tint is not even on any of the dot matrix on any single window. But, like I said, it's barely noticeable except for very up close and you have to be looking for imperfections. I've actually gotten several compliments on the looks of the tint and people have told me they didn't notice the dot matrix crap until I asked/told them about it. The areas that were flat (non-dot matrix) were done flawless and look great.

Matt had a somewhat pissy attitude, and although he seemed like a cool guy to have a beer with, I figured he just dealt with an asshole customer or something. He went on this whole tirade about how customers would come back all pissed off about something they weren't happy about instead of asking to fix it nicely. I dunno, I didn't feel like he should have been venting to me as another paying customer. It was weird to hear a business owner do that to a customer.

He tried to avoid the several conversations I had about the dot matrix/vinyl. I told him I was concerned about how the dot matrix would come out, and his counter was he was only concerned about how the non-dot matrix would come out..........wow.

All in all I paid $240, which I think was too high for the lack of quality of work for this specific car. But like I said, I'm easy to please and never really got mad/nervous/upset about the end result, which happens immediately when I'm not pleased for what I pay. So I guess I'm alright.
catcher22 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-14-2011, 04:16 PM   #32
ColtonVTECs
Enlisted Member
 
ColtonVTECs's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 328xi 6spd
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: United States

Posts: 30
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmertt View Post
In VA you have to have 50% up front.

I have never been pulled over for tints in VA or MD. I run 35% all around.
This.

50% up front and 40% in rear if you have extra doors.

I have 20% all the way around and I have never been pulled over because of it.
ColtonVTECs is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-14-2011, 04:50 PM   #33
E92Monstah
E92 OCD
 
E92Monstah's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Alexandria, VA

Posts: 142
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Matt at TNT has done 4 cars for me, including my E92 and my wife's E82 (just last week; took a couple of hours). He stands by his work. A word of caution though -- He'll talk your ear off. Drop your car off and get out of there!
__________________
2014 328i Sedan / Sport Line / Black Sapphire Metallic
2011 128i Coupe / Jet Black (Wife's car)
2008 328i Coupe / Jet Black (Sold)
E92Monstah is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-14-2011, 05:29 PM   #34
Verbiage
I swag on 'em.
 
Verbiage's Avatar
 
Drives: N54B30
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: MD

Posts: 8,133
iTrader: (5)

$240? Holy crap.
__________________
Peep my music shit here
Verbiage is offline   Jamaica
0
Reply With Quote
      07-14-2011, 06:34 PM   #35
1N54E92
Lieutenant Colonel
 
1N54E92's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 328i, 07 N54 E92 (Ret.)
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA

Posts: 1,863
iTrader: (4)

Quote:

All in all I paid $240, which I think was too high for the lack of quality of work for this specific car. But like I said, I'm easy to please and never really got mad/nervous/upset about the end result, which happens immediately when I'm not pleased for what I pay. So I guess I'm alright.

$240 ? obviously you did not get the ceramic tint. Yeah, Matt seems to have an attitude. He quoted me $380 for ceramic and I did not like the tone of his voice so I went to LA Tint. Very happy with the result !

check out the tint on my coupe.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=550358
__________________
"Join the BMWCCA today! referral member # is 423910"

Last edited by 1N54E92; 07-14-2011 at 06:41 PM.
1N54E92 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-14-2011, 07:30 PM   #36
EngineCo52
Major
 
Drives: 2007 Montego 328xi CPE
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Havre de Grace, MD

Posts: 1,458
iTrader: (2)

i ran 5% for years and never got pulled over, of course that could be because of the fire tags, but hey who knows lol
EngineCo52 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-16-2011, 01:13 PM   #37
IDreamofBimmers
Captain
 
IDreamofBimmers's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 VW GTI
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bethesda, MD

Posts: 987
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian III View Post




I'm running 20% all around, and I went to National Glass Tinting in Kensington. Mark did an excellent job, in my opinion. I'm not too much of a dot matrix freak myself, though. And I've got an E90.
What did it cost you to tint the windows if you don't mind me asking?
I live in bethesda, so that's a good location for me
__________________
2008 VW GTI
IDreamofBimmers is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-19-2011, 05:08 PM   #38
MissMyE30
Private
 
Drives: E90 330i
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Richmond VA

Posts: 63
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtonVTECs View Post
This.

50% up front and 40% in rear if you have extra doors.

I have 20% all the way around and I have never been pulled over because of it.
Not quite. 50 in the front 35 for everything behind the driver.

Also the state of registration doesn't matter. The code of VA states any vehicle driven on a VA highway must comply. I have pulled and written out of state tint but only if it's illegal in their home state too but it doesn't really matter.

46.2-1052 is the code section btw
MissMyE30 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-27-2011, 12:27 PM   #39
AaronLBeltran
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: e92 335i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NoVA

Posts: 225
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to AaronLBeltran
Quote:
Originally Posted by catcher22 View Post
I wanted to send a follow up since it's been a while. I got the tints done a few weeks back. Sorry I haven't gotten to uploading pics yet but I still plan to.

Well, I honestly wasn't impressed at all with Matt, his business attitude, or the quality of his work. Am I happy with the results? Somewhat/yes. But he didn't do anything about the dot matrix, and it looks pretty bad from up close. I also didn't realize there's dot matrix on ALL the windows (the edges of the front and side windows have it too), so the tint is not even on any of the dot matrix on any single window. But, like I said, it's barely noticeable except for very up close and you have to be looking for imperfections. I've actually gotten several compliments on the looks of the tint and people have told me they didn't notice the dot matrix crap until I asked/told them about it. The areas that were flat (non-dot matrix) were done flawless and look great.

Matt had a somewhat pissy attitude, and although he seemed like a cool guy to have a beer with, I figured he just dealt with an asshole customer or something. He went on this whole tirade about how customers would come back all pissed off about something they weren't happy about instead of asking to fix it nicely. I dunno, I didn't feel like he should have been venting to me as another paying customer. It was weird to hear a business owner do that to a customer.

He tried to avoid the several conversations I had about the dot matrix/vinyl. I told him I was concerned about how the dot matrix would come out, and his counter was he was only concerned about how the non-dot matrix would come out..........wow.

All in all I paid $240, which I think was too high for the lack of quality of work for this specific car. But like I said, I'm easy to please and never really got mad/nervous/upset about the end result, which happens immediately when I'm not pleased for what I pay. So I guess I'm alright.
Did it take the full 2 days, or was he able to take care of it on day 1? Did you talk to him about getting it redone since it wasn't 100% to your satisfaction?
AaronLBeltran is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-10-2011, 12:41 AM   #40
nella02
Registered
 
Drives: 335i coupe black/red interior
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Maryland

Posts: 1
iTrader: (0)

Tint in Gaithersburg

Reading through all these posts is making my head spin....I have a 355i coupe black w/ red interior...I want to make it as dark as I can to keep that sexy look a black car can have....I considered not doing it due to how I love the red interior glowing when the light comes in on a sunny day.....thoughts? I will post a pic soon of my car but seeing that this is a forum i'm sure you have seen it around.I am new to 'a forum' but not to being a car enthusiast. Your advice is appreciated.
nella02 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-10-2011, 10:55 AM   #41
feaganszhp
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2004 BMW 330ci ZHP
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gainesville, VA

Posts: 228
iTrader: (0)

I run 18% in the rear and 35% in the front in va and have never had any trouble with the cops for it
__________________
2004 BSM 330ci ZHP
feaganszhp is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
tint, tints

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:11 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST