E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Coding Backup Advice

01-28-2014, 01:25 AM   #1
RedRaiderDavid
Private

Drives: 2009 328i

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Coding Backup Advice

I just wanted to pass on a little advice I learned today when coding. First most guides recommend you first take a snapshot of everything. If you do that you have a basic backup. I am recommending you take a back up of every module you code. So if you code NFRM (?) first backup that module to directory NFRM, KOMBI in directory KOMBI. If you want to be really good create backups by date.
The reason I am saying this is because about a month ago I coded to have my angel eyes AND fog lights as DRLs as well as having fogs come on automatically with low beams (basically fogs are always on). That was great but I put in new angel eyes and no longer wanted my fogs as DRLs. I referred to a guide I used and some old posts to try to remember what I had done. At one point I had no DRLs. Fortunately I had my overall backup and being the Excel genius I am I was able to compare my first backup (remember this is all modules) to my NFRM and figure out what had changed. Then I recoded my AEs as DRLs. I'm back to having to turn on my fogs but I'm happy now.
Lesson, if I had followed my advice above, I could have just went back to my NFRM backup. Lessons learned.