E90Post
 


TNT Racewerks
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 'Mr. 5 Intake'... Zasquatch style



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-25-2011, 06:13 PM   #23
XDEEDUBBX
Lieutenant Colonel
 
XDEEDUBBX's Avatar
 
Drives: 535I
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Los Angelz

Posts: 1,707
iTrader: (11)

that milled piece came out nice!
__________________
XDEEDUBBX is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-25-2011, 06:50 PM   #24
Zasquatch
Captain
 
Zasquatch's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 BMW 335i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: CT

Posts: 619
iTrader: (15)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Thanks guys.

Here is the second machined piece for the filter. It's got two tapped holes in it to bolt onto the mounting bracket I will make once it's time to install. It's also got that big chamfer which mates up with the rounded inside base of the filter.



Here's the AFE filter I'm using. I chose the 24-91016 with a 3.5" ID mounting, 6" base, 5.5" top, and is 5" tall.



I got a free pre-filter from Cp-e when I got my tow hook plate holder..... it was a tight fit but it is able to squeeze on the larger filter. I figure it can't hurt, but not completely sure if I'll keep it on.



And finally, the whole system on my window sill. Obviously the hose will end up being as short as possible, but to be safe I ordered 4'

Zasquatch is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-25-2011, 08:18 PM   #25
bahn stormer
Taking the dog out for some exercise.
 
bahn stormer's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 E90 335i 6MT, 65 MGB
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: PA/Mexico

Posts: 527
iTrader: (3)

That looks great. I like the CNC work.
bahn stormer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-25-2011, 08:32 PM   #26
bahn stormer
Taking the dog out for some exercise.
 
bahn stormer's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 E90 335i 6MT, 65 MGB
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: PA/Mexico

Posts: 527
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraMarty View Post
Do you think that at freeway speeds, that the slightly pressurized air from the front air intakes just blows out this new air duct the wrong way? How do you know which way the air flows in your new air duct?
The air is not pressurized. It is under vacuum from the turbo suction tubes (unless you have scoops and then it may or may not be under vacuum). Air is drawn in path of least resistance, likely both filters but at different rates. I am not sure which filter ends up passing more flow but it doesn't really matter as this setup will definately pass more total flow than the OEM airbox by itself.
bahn stormer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-26-2011, 03:27 AM   #27
XDEEDUBBX
Lieutenant Colonel
 
XDEEDUBBX's Avatar
 
Drives: 535I
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Los Angelz

Posts: 1,707
iTrader: (11)

snakes on a window sill!
__________________
XDEEDUBBX is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-26-2011, 04:22 AM   #28
R1000K3
Major
 
R1000K3's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i MT
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: USA

Posts: 1,313
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zasquatch View Post
Thanks guys.

Here is the second machined piece for the filter. It's got two tapped holes in it to bolt onto the mounting bracket I will make once it's time to install. It's also got that big chamfer which mates up with the rounded inside base of the filter.
Good work, looks awesome
R1000K3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-26-2011, 04:29 AM   #29
mase
Banned
 
mase's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NYC

Posts: 446
iTrader: (27)

where did you get this tubing?
mase is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-26-2011, 06:25 AM   #30
Zasquatch
Captain
 
Zasquatch's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 BMW 335i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: CT

Posts: 619
iTrader: (15)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mase View Post
where did you get this tubing?
I used the same stuff that Mr. 5 used from McMaster Carr.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/117/211/=cgyqaj

The coils are surprisingly strong and the TPU material is abrasion resistant and flexible. Ideally I'd like to get a custom bent pipe, but for now this will be more than sufficient I think.
Zasquatch is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-26-2011, 06:31 AM   #31
PiZauL
I6 + TT = FTW
 
Drives: 07 treetree5i
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Baltimore, MD

Posts: 809
iTrader: (2)

Looks like a BMW vacuum cleaner, lol
PiZauL is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-26-2011, 06:36 AM   #32
Zasquatch
Captain
 
Zasquatch's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 BMW 335i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: CT

Posts: 619
iTrader: (15)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiZauL View Post
Looks like a BMW vacuum cleaner, lol
Hahaha thats what my fiance said after I put it all on the windowsill.
Zasquatch is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-26-2011, 06:38 AM   #33
Yahoo
Captain
 
Drives: 335i e91 LCI msport
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Lincolnshire

Posts: 826
iTrader: (3)

My intake with preformed silicone hose:















Yahoo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-26-2011, 07:01 AM   #34
CobraMarty
Lieutenant
 
CobraMarty's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 328xi Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: PA

Posts: 493
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahn stormer View Post
The air is not pressurized. It is under vacuum from the turbo suction tubes (unless you have scoops and then it may or may not be under vacuum). Air is drawn in path of least resistance, likely both filters but at different rates. I am not sure which filter ends up passing more flow but it doesn't really matter as this setup will definately pass more total flow than the OEM airbox by itself.
I know and hear what you are saying, but do you really know? It 'sounds' right and it 'should' work but does it? What testing have you done to shows hard data and not just 'in theory'. How much CFM does the stock intake flow and how much thru the add on? Which direction does the ait flow thru the add on at speed? Just questions.

You milled pieces look great!
__________________
2007 328xi E92 Coupe // 6 MT-Crimson Red, Black Interior, Brushed Silver Trim//Sport Seats//BMW Perf. SW Alcantara//CF Roof, Front Lip, Trunk Lip Spoilers//18" 197, F-5mm, R-15mm Spacers//Akebono Euro Ceramic Pads//MGP Red Caliper Covers//BMW Alarm System//BMW CF Perf. Strut Brace//LUX H8 v3.0 AE//6k HID Fogs//BMW PE//Macht Schnell Intake Scoops//BMW EURO Intake//AA Tune//188AWHP-->196AWHP-->216AWHP//SOON- 3 Stage Intake Manifold!
CobraMarty is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-26-2011, 08:05 AM   #35
Zasquatch
Captain
 
Zasquatch's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 BMW 335i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: CT

Posts: 619
iTrader: (15)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraMarty View Post
I know and hear what you are saying, but do you really know? It 'sounds' right and it 'should' work but does it? What testing have you done to shows hard data and not just 'in theory'. How much CFM does the stock intake flow and how much thru the add on? Which direction does the ait flow thru the add on at speed? Just questions.

You milled pieces look great!
Thanks man.

Mr.5 has tested this system extensively on the track and swears by it. That's enough for me

If you were to hook up flow sensors, I think you'd find that the front air ducts are not ram-air scoops, but rather just a path to cooler air so the airbox doesn't suck up hot engine air. If you have installed scoops to make the ducts ram-air, then all you are doing is reducing the amount of suction seen at the panel filter. Both the airbox and the auxiliary filter should still be seeing suction from the turbos.
Zasquatch is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-26-2011, 08:47 AM   #36
bahn stormer
Taking the dog out for some exercise.
 
bahn stormer's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 E90 335i 6MT, 65 MGB
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: PA/Mexico

Posts: 527
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zasquatch View Post
Thanks man.

Mr.5 has tested this system extensively on the track and swears by it. That's enough for me

If you were to hook up flow sensors, I think you'd find that the front air ducts are not ram-air scoops, but rather just a path to cooler air so the airbox doesn't suck up hot engine air. If you have installed scoops to make the ducts ram-air, then all you are doing is reducing the amount of suction seen at the panel filter. Both the airbox and the auxiliary filter should still be seeing suction from the turbos.
I agree.

Tuned VW 1.8T turbos draw such a deep vacuum at the turbo inlet pipe that they tend to collapse when the turbo is boosting (prompting market for upgraded turbo inlet pipes).

Both suction paths will reach a point where differential pressure from the outside suction point to the airbox is the same and the more restrictive flowpath will pass less flow with the less restrictive flowpath passing more flow to reach that dynamic equilibrium.
bahn stormer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-26-2011, 09:01 AM   #37
bahn stormer
Taking the dog out for some exercise.
 
bahn stormer's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 E90 335i 6MT, 65 MGB
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: PA/Mexico

Posts: 527
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahoo View Post
My intake with preformed silicone hose:


Congratulations! You made it work.

I started off down that road. I even bought PVC to "mock up" the path to figure out what couplings I needed. I abandoned the idea when I figured out how many turns were required, that I needed longer sections of silicone pipe for the tighter sections, and the cost of that stuff. That pipe really is better for flow as long as it is still 3" ID and the couplings are not too restrictive.
bahn stormer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-26-2011, 09:09 AM   #38
bahn stormer
Taking the dog out for some exercise.
 
bahn stormer's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 E90 335i 6MT, 65 MGB
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: PA/Mexico

Posts: 527
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zasquatch View Post
I used the same stuff that Mr. 5 used from McMaster Carr.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/117/211/=cgyqaj

The coils are surprisingly strong and the TPU material is abrasion resistant and flexible. Ideally I'd like to get a custom bent pipe, but for now this will be more than sufficient I think.
+1
That really was a great find by Mr.5. I was surprised by how good the quality was when it arrived. It also won't collapse under vacuum.
bahn stormer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-26-2011, 11:54 AM   #39
DLuce76
New Member
 
Drives: 2010 335xi
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bahston

Posts: 10
iTrader: (0)

New poster, longtime lurker.

I'm curious why no one has gone the "true" Dinan intake route when making these Mr.5s...I spent a casual 3 minutes trying to see if I could source OEM intake covers which would, if possible to source independently, be much cheaper than sourcing the entire intake.

Just a thought, I'm not sure how it would work with hood clearance, and I understand the current Mr.5 side-design works great, I was just thinking with regard to going back to stock how much easier A) it would be if you screwed up the install and B) how much cheaper it would be to switch back to stock if, for instance, you were going to bring the car to the dealer and were still under warranty.

Then again, this all hinges on being able to source the intake cover separately from the entire box.

Looking at the Dinan intake, it looks like there isn't that much hood clearance hence why their design is so flat...which makes me think that the whole 3" tubing you guys use wouldn't work if it came off the top of the cover.
DLuce76 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-26-2011, 12:21 PM   #40
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
 
Syndicategt's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Nor Cal

Posts: 3,732
iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLuce76 View Post
Just a thought, I'm not sure how it would work with hood clearance, and I understand the current Mr.5 side-design works great, I was just thinking with regard to going back to stock how much easier A) it would be if you screwed up the install and B) how much cheaper it would be to switch back to stock if, for instance, you were going to bring the car to the dealer and were still under warranty.
A - most guys buy a second oem intake for the install just incase they screw it up.
B - People doing this are probably not too concerned about warranty. As for "cheaper" this is a DIY, and I doubt anyone is paying to have this done or installed. This goes back to the warranty, if they need to bring it in, they will swap it out for the 2nd oem box that wasn't used for new intake.
__________________
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Syndicategt is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-26-2011, 02:00 PM   #41
bahn stormer
Taking the dog out for some exercise.
 
bahn stormer's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 E90 335i 6MT, 65 MGB
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: PA/Mexico

Posts: 527
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zasquatch View Post
Thanks guys.

Here is the second machined piece for the filter. It's got two tapped holes in it to bolt onto the mounting bracket I will make once it's time to install. It's also got that big chamfer which mates up with the rounded inside base of the filter.
Here is the coupling I "machined" from a real-estate info tube.



I actually had a hard time finding a section of 3" OD aluminum or SS pipe. I was searching online, looked up, and saw the info tube on the shelf. Perfect size and minimum wall thickness for max flow. It is just rigid enough for a tight seal on the hose and filter.
bahn stormer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-26-2011, 02:31 PM   #42
bahn stormer
Taking the dog out for some exercise.
 
bahn stormer's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 E90 335i 6MT, 65 MGB
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: PA/Mexico

Posts: 527
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLuce76 View Post
New poster, longtime lurker.

I'm curious why no one has gone the "true" Dinan intake route when making these Mr.5s...I spent a casual 3 minutes trying to see if I could source OEM intake covers which would, if possible to source independently, be much cheaper than sourcing the entire intake.

Just a thought, I'm not sure how it would work with hood clearance, and I understand the current Mr.5 side-design works great, I was just thinking with regard to going back to stock how much easier A) it would be if you screwed up the install and B) how much cheaper it would be to switch back to stock if, for instance, you were going to bring the car to the dealer and were still under warranty.

Then again, this all hinges on being able to source the intake cover separately from the entire box.

Looking at the Dinan intake, it looks like there isn't that much hood clearance hence why their design is so flat...which makes me think that the whole 3" tubing you guys use wouldn't work if it came off the top of the cover.
I looked at the cover idea and what it came down to for me is:

1. Less clearance
2. More complicated design to make it work
3. Just as easy to source an entire airbox used as it is just the cover

If I were a vendor I would probably go with a cover design in molded plastic. It's just not worth the extra cost for carbon fiber in my opinion. Of course I am somewhat biased by the $1k price for Dinan, maybe it wouldn't cost that much more.
bahn stormer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-26-2011, 03:42 PM   #43
DLuce76
New Member
 
Drives: 2010 335xi
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bahston

Posts: 10
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahn stormer View Post
3. Just as easy to source an entire airbox used as it is just the cover
This is what my thought hinged upon, weather it was possible to source a cover independently from the entire airbox. I've just read people saying its difficult to get an oem airbox, not that I looked into it.
DLuce76 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-27-2011, 10:18 AM   #44
bOsS n55 M
New Member
 
Drives: 335I MTEC COUPE
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Staten Island/Brooklyn,NY

Posts: 14
iTrader: (0)

Looks Clean
bOsS n55 M is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:52 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST