E90Post
 


GT Haus
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 'Mr. 5 Intake'... Zasquatch style



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-27-2011, 10:47 AM   #45
slow4.7
Private
2
Rep
75
Posts

 
Drives: blue 335i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: texas

iTrader: (0)

nice ..this is my next mod
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 03:19 PM   #46
bahn stormer
Taking the dog out for some exercise.
bahn stormer's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
527
Posts

 
Drives: 07 E90 335i 6MT, 65 MGB
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: PA/Mexico

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zasquatch View Post
Thanks guys.

Here is the second machined piece for the filter. It's got two tapped holes in it to bolt onto the mounting bracket I will make once it's time to install. It's also got that big chamfer which mates up with the rounded inside base of the filter.



Here's the AFE filter I'm using. I chose the 24-91016 with a 3.5" ID mounting, 6" base, 5.5" top, and is 5" tall.
I just realized that your filter has a 3.5" ID opening and your coupling gradually steps it down to 3". That was a great idea. You might be able to sell some of these couplings along with the other one you made to people that want to take that route. I am still happy how mine came out but it was a lot of work cutting and sanding the fins off the side of the airbox. Your airbox coupling just requires the 3" hole.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 03:41 PM   #47
bahn stormer
Taking the dog out for some exercise.
bahn stormer's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
527
Posts

 
Drives: 07 E90 335i 6MT, 65 MGB
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: PA/Mexico

iTrader: (3)



My Info Tube coupling adds 20 HP. The remainder of the tube is for sale... first $100 takes it.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 04:01 PM   #48
longliven54
Lieutenant
longliven54's Avatar
Canada
4
Rep
465
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i e90 auto
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: victoria

iTrader: (6)

And for those who have DCI, and are concerned about all the hot air that gets sucked in...I have thought of using this trick.
I plan on keep using my Vishnu DCI on one intake, and use similar pipes/hose with clamps and direct it lower towards air dam in the front for the other intAke. This way I'll have a DCI/CAI.
Not sure if Nyone elsehas tried it, if anyone has, please feel free to give me any points/tips.
__________________
JB4 G5 / VRSF IC / STETT CAI / GREDDY / custom exhaust / iRotora cross drilled rotots / snow stage 3 meth / 19" iForged senekas / upgraded speakers n CF woofer box / M3 bits/ DINAN camber plates/ KONI/ megan racing toe arm/ supreme power lowering perch
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 10:50 PM   #49
Zasquatch
Captain
Zasquatch's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
622
Posts

 
Drives: '07 BMW 335i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: CT

iTrader: (15)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bahn stormer View Post
I just realized that your filter has a 3.5" ID opening and your coupling gradually steps it down to 3". That was a great idea. You might be able to sell some of these couplings along with the other one you made to people that want to take that route. I am still happy how mine came out but it was a lot of work cutting and sanding the fins off the side of the airbox. Your airbox coupling just requires the 3" hole.
Yeah I decided to go with a larger filter hole ID which also happened to be the OD of the aluminum tubing I got. I think it will work out well

I would LOVE to start making these in a kit of some sort but my buddy isn't interested in putting the time in... He did mine as a favor. I wish I had room for a lathe in my apartment lol...

Last edited by Zasquatch; 05-28-2011 at 07:39 AM.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 06:56 PM   #50
bahn stormer
Taking the dog out for some exercise.
bahn stormer's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
527
Posts

 
Drives: 07 E90 335i 6MT, 65 MGB
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: PA/Mexico

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by longliven54 View Post
And for those who have DCI, and are concerned about all the hot air that gets sucked in...I have thought of using this trick.
I plan on keep using my Vishnu DCI on one intake, and use similar pipes/hose with clamps and direct it lower towards air dam in the front for the other intAke. This way I'll have a DCI/CAI.
Not sure if Nyone elsehas tried it, if anyone has, please feel free to give me any points/tips.
If you are talking about long tube CAI to one turbo and single DCI type filter to the other turbo, I really wouldn't recommend that. I think it's better to keep equal load on both turbos, as in same inlet temp and pressure.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 06:58 PM   #51
bahn stormer
Taking the dog out for some exercise.
bahn stormer's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
527
Posts

 
Drives: 07 E90 335i 6MT, 65 MGB
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: PA/Mexico

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zasquatch View Post
Yeah I decided to go with a larger filter hole ID which also happened to be the OD of the aluminum tubing I got. I think it will work out well

I would LOVE to start making these in a kit of some sort but my buddy isn't interested in putting the time in... He did mine as a favor. I wish I had room for a lathe in my apartment lol...
I wish I had a buddy with access to a CNC machine.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 03:16 AM   #52
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
418
Rep
11,443
Posts


 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

iTrader: (29)

Looks like you guys have the lack of air volume issues addressed with this mod.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 03:18 AM   #53
R1000K3
Major
R1000K3's Avatar
United_States
16
Rep
1,313
Posts

 
Drives: 335i MT
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
Looks like you guys have the lack of air volume issues addressed with this mod.
Yes, do you have any cost effective solutions for the same purpose?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 03:36 AM   #54
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
418
Rep
11,443
Posts


 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1000K3 View Post
Yes, do you have any cost effective solutions for the same purpose?
Short of a true cold air intake...No, not really.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 11:13 AM   #55
crazydrummer
Captain
crazydrummer's Avatar
8
Rep
670
Posts

 
Drives: 335i 08
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: arkansas

iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahn stormer View Post


My Info Tube coupling adds 20 HP. The remainder of the tube is for sale... first $100 takes it.
Dog included?
__________________
Sold SGM 335i e92 Procede v5, vishnu PWM meth kit, afe dci, custom scoops, PSS10, m3 bits, Avant Garde m6 reps,Vanguard
Sold 1998 e36 M3 silver (got hit, insurance paid out)
Sold 09 e90 M3 Lemans Blue
Current 08 e92 m3 SSII. bolt ons
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 03:12 PM   #56
bahn stormer
Taking the dog out for some exercise.
bahn stormer's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
527
Posts

 
Drives: 07 E90 335i 6MT, 65 MGB
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: PA/Mexico

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
Looks like you guys have the lack of air volume issues addressed with this mod.
I wondered if throttle response is improved by having the airbox and volume in the hose "immediately available". By this I mean turbos do not have to draw as deep of a vacuum to get airflow moving as compared to pulling the air volume through the filters first. I assume that this is what you are referring to.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 03:37 PM   #57
Zasquatch
Captain
Zasquatch's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
622
Posts

 
Drives: '07 BMW 335i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: CT

iTrader: (15)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I just finished installing everything.... BMW did NOT leave us much room to work with lol. I was planning on making a nice aluminum bracket out of some cheap bar stock but there just was not enough room. Oh well. Everything fit with some massaging, and seems to be secure and tidy.

I'll snap some pics at some point, but it looks just like Mr.5's .
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 06:20 PM   #58
M3 Eater
Major
M3 Eater's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
1,057
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Sedan
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Unknown

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
OK, can I have my stock intake back now?????

I am running the injen DCI and I am very happy with all aspects. This looks so like it was borne there though. Great work!

I was thinking about taking a heat shield that I bought a long time ago and running ducting into the brake inlet. I would use square though so it would plug up to the brake duct, then run a second inlet tube to the forward cone from underneath. Ever since I upgraded my fmic I just stopped dreaming about a DIY CAI.
__________________
JB4 beta 15 ohms FSB,AEM inline filter/ CM 10, ETS fmic, ER custom made charge pipe,TSW Donnington 18's,Simitumo HTRZ3, Injen DCI, AR DPs, Forge DVs, AA SLD, Koni FSD, ZSP springs.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 06:52 PM   #59
bahn stormer
Taking the dog out for some exercise.
bahn stormer's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
527
Posts

 
Drives: 07 E90 335i 6MT, 65 MGB
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: PA/Mexico

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummer View Post
Dog included?
Ha Ha!
I went to take a picture of the coupling and she wanted some attention.



No one dares challenge the Info Tube coupling!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 07:00 PM   #60
bahn stormer
Taking the dog out for some exercise.
bahn stormer's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
527
Posts

 
Drives: 07 E90 335i 6MT, 65 MGB
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: PA/Mexico

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zasquatch View Post
I just finished installing everything.... BMW did NOT leave us much room to work with lol. I was planning on making a nice aluminum bracket out of some cheap bar stock but there just was not enough room. Oh well. Everything fit with some massaging, and seems to be secure and tidy.

I'll snap some pics at some point, but it looks just like Mr.5's .
I had similar thoughts but ended up securing it with a pair of tie wraps and calling it a day. The filter is pretty tight but there is still plenty of airspace for the filter to be effective. I am thinking about drilling some holes in the bumper side grill piece. That thing is cheap and easy to replace.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 07:11 PM   #61
bahn stormer
Taking the dog out for some exercise.
bahn stormer's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
527
Posts

 
Drives: 07 E90 335i 6MT, 65 MGB
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: PA/Mexico

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Eater View Post
OK, can I have my stock intake back now?????

I am running the injen DCI and I am very happy with all aspects. This looks so like it was borne there though. Great work!

I was thinking about taking a heat shield that I bought a long time ago and running ducting into the brake inlet. I would use square though so it would plug up to the brake duct, then run a second inlet tube to the forward cone from underneath. Ever since I upgraded my fmic I just stopped dreaming about a DIY CAI.
Ha Ha!
Thanks. It took me long enough to finish. I probably have 1K miles on it by now. I am very happy with the results. My Helix IC is in the garage ready for install as soon as I find the time.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 11:03 PM   #62
M3 Eater
Major
M3 Eater's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
1,057
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Sedan
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Unknown

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
it will take less time to install the fmic than your intake. I promise! The Helix is stepped and should fit like a glove. Its really the only fmic I like better than my ETS. Since you have the fmic going in, wouldn't you be better off HP wise with DCI"?
__________________
JB4 beta 15 ohms FSB,AEM inline filter/ CM 10, ETS fmic, ER custom made charge pipe,TSW Donnington 18's,Simitumo HTRZ3, Injen DCI, AR DPs, Forge DVs, AA SLD, Koni FSD, ZSP springs.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 11:15 AM   #63
Zasquatch
Captain
Zasquatch's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
622
Posts

 
Drives: '07 BMW 335i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: CT

iTrader: (15)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Eater View Post
it will take less time to install the fmic than your intake. I promise! The Helix is stepped and should fit like a glove. Its really the only fmic I like better than my ETS. Since you have the fmic going in, wouldn't you be better off HP wise with DCI"?
Search for Mr.5's testing of this 3" version, it has hard data that's difficult to ignore regarding just how good this setup is In the end it's a matter of preference... Personally I hate the way DCIs look.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 03:37 PM   #64
ShyGuy
Private First Class
Canada
1
Rep
163
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (3)

Out of curiousity, why do you need a filter at the end of the flex tube? There's already a filter in the airbox.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 03:41 PM   #65
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Mr. 5's Avatar
Scotland
269
Rep
8,626
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Surf City, HB

iTrader: (31)

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyGuy View Post
Out of curiousity, why do you need a filter at the end of the flex tube? There's already a filter in the airbox.
That side doesn't pass through the filter. That's why the added filter is needed.
__________________
e36 M3 Coupe, e36 325i Sedan
e90 335i--SOLD

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 02:20 PM   #66
bahn stormer
Taking the dog out for some exercise.
bahn stormer's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
527
Posts

 
Drives: 07 E90 335i 6MT, 65 MGB
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: PA/Mexico

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Eater View Post
it will take less time to install the fmic than your intake. I promise! The Helix is stepped and should fit like a glove. Its really the only fmic I like better than my ETS. Since you have the fmic going in, wouldn't you be better off HP wise with DCI"?
I hope you are right about the Helix IC. I can't wait.

As for DCI vs. Mr. 5 Intake, I agree with Zasquatch:

1. V-Box tested by Mr. 5 (and I believe every little bit helps as far as temp and D/P goes)
2. Looks OEM
3. Doesn't suck dirt / dust under the hood
4. No DV noise
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:00 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST