E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Random power window anti-trip function messages

05-28-2011, 11:38 PM   #1
zonywhoop
Registered
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

Random power window anti-trip function messages

Anyone ever had this happen? I had my passenger rear window regulator fail, got a new one from the dealer, installed it but I could never get the darn thing to fully reinitialize. The window would go all the way up then immediately come back down half way and stop. Did this for weeks. Last night I got frustrated and decided enough was enough and started to do the 17 second process from scratch. After the 3rd try the motor just stopped working - window would not go up or down. Called a friend of mine that is a BMW mechanic and he suggested that I had probably hit either the thermal or overload shutdown and just to wait it out; so I went to bed sad .

Fast forward 10 hours, problem is still there. So, with all other ideas behind me I decided to yank the battery and let the car sit for an hour. After waiting impatiently I plugged the battery back in and boom, the window works ; I'm super excited. I get the window anti-trap reset and life looks good, except, now I get a "Power Window Anti-Trap Function" message on my iDrive and the window icon in my dash about every 20 seconds or so. It's only there for about 3 seconds then disappears. All of the windows work perfectly; auto up and down never stop working. I've re-initialized all of them and have even pulled the battery again - this time for 3 hours - but still the problem remains. I've even pulled the troublesome door back apart and cleaned the power window motor connections, but the message just keeps appearing.

Long story short, I'm at a complete loss. I have searched google and all of the forums for hours but have yet to find an answer. I've reached out to my mechanic friend, who happens to be on vacation, and his only thought is a failing hall sensor. Unfortunately I don't like that answer, mostly because I hate driving a car that is dinging every 20 seconds and it will be a few days before we can get all of the parts and really see if that is problem.

So, has anyone on the board ever seen or heard of this problem? Do you know of any potential fixes?

Thanks,
Zonywhoop
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 12:25 PM   #2
jasonn
JDM Slut
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07 e90 335i

Garage List
ttt...exact same issue

2013 991 (mod diary)
2007 335i (sold)
2004 745i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 12:30 PM   #3
zonywhoop
Registered
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

So I finally did get this resolved, though not the way I would have liked. I took the 335 into the dealer for some recall work to be done and they had a recall/TSB for a reprogramming. The tech wasn't sure if this would fix the issue or but but sure enough it did. Haven't had it happen since and there was nothing the BMW tech did prior to that that worked either so it is definitely a bug in the code or something.

Hope that helps.

Zonywhoop
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 12:42 PM   #4
jasonn
JDM Slut
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07 e90 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonywhoop View Post
So I finally did get this resolved, though not the way I would have liked. I took the 335 into the dealer for some recall work to be done and they had a recall/TSB for a reprogramming. The tech wasn't sure if this would fix the issue or but but sure enough it did. Haven't had it happen since and there was nothing the BMW tech did prior to that that worked either so it is definitely a bug in the code or something.

Hope that helps.

Zonywhoop

Ah yes this helps me a lot. Going to the dealer is my last resort. I have a CIC Retrofit so I will have to take apart my navi and put the old CCC navigation back if it involves programming (need all original parts before the programming software can proceed).

I suspect the TSB is SI-B51-15-08 written July/2008 ...this bulletin addresses a False Anti-Trap Activation on the rear power windows.

Sincere thanks for your reply! I was a little worried for a sec since you only had two posts...one was this problem and in the other one, your car was for sale!!!!

I thought maybe the error drove you mad...mad enough to sell the car.

2013 991 (mod diary)
2007 335i (sold)
2004 745i (sold)
Appreciate 0