E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: Automatic Transmission Fluid Leak FIX!! BMW 335i(e92-e93)

Comment

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
sammy_0559's Avatar DIY: Automatic Transmission Fluid Leak FIX!! BMW 335i(e90-e93) ZF Transmission
sammy_0559
05-30-2011
(My First POST )

just got this thing Transmission Was leaking, wasnt really worried about it. HPFP failed a week later...
By Mr_SDP on 04-01-2013, 11:52 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
60%60%60%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
80%80%80%
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
60%60%60%
Average 67%
Finally was able to find the time to complete this DIY. I would say its a medium job where the only challenging part is the mechatronics sleeve replacement.

1. Jacking up the car and draining the fluid was very easy.

2. Removing the pan bolts and pan was easy. Just unscrew them and pull the pan down (and all the fluid with it!!!)

3. Removing the retaining clip to the mechatronics sleeve was easy. I used a flat head screw driver to do this.

4. Unlocking the sleeve was easy too...just pull the locking mechanism down.

5. Removing the sleeve was a bit challenging. Luckily, I had a tool that is sort of like some really long tweezers that are very rigid. This helps grab the sleeve after it has been unlocked to pull it out of the hole. It is even more helpful when setting the new sleeve and pushing it far enough back into the hole to lock it in place (via the locking mechanism). Since it is very difficult to get your fingers up in that area to grab/move/push/re-orient the sleeve, a tweezer like tool makes it much easier.

6. Putting the new pan and bolts back in was easy. I cleaned the mating surface with some 'sandpaper-like' wipes to get any debris that could potentially cause long term damage to the pan gasket.

7. Filling the the trans with new fluid was easy, just a little messing when the fluid started overflowing after 3 'start/stop and fills'.

8. I ended up only filling about 3.5 to 4 qts of fluid. Each time I started the car I let it run for 15 mins. After the last start/stop, I tried filling it but as soon as I opened the fill hole fluid started coming out of it. I assume the remaining fluid of the 6-7 qt capacity was in the torque converter.

9. Took me a total of 2 hrs to do all of the above. I kept the car on all 4 jacks when I started/stopped it.

Hope this helps anybody thinking about doing this job. It really is not tough at all...just make sure you have a good tool to maneuver the mechatronics sleeve!
By robc1976 on 04-01-2013, 05:33 PM
Member reviews
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
20%20%20%
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_SDP View Post
Finally was able to find the time to complete this DIY. I would say its a medium job where the only challenging part is the mechatronics sleeve replacement.

1. Jacking up the car and draining the fluid was very easy.

2. Removing the pan bolts and pan was easy. Just unscrew them and pull the pan down (and all the fluid with it!!!)

3. Removing the retaining clip to the mechatronics sleeve was easy. I used a flat head screw driver to do this.

4. Unlocking the sleeve was easy too...just pull the locking mechanism down.

5. Removing the sleeve was a bit challenging. Luckily, I had a tool that is sort of like some really long tweezers that are very rigid. This helps grab the sleeve after it has been unlocked to pull it out of the hole. It is even more helpful when setting the new sleeve and pushing it far enough back into the hole to lock it in place (via the locking mechanism). Since it is very difficult to get your fingers up in that area to grab/move/push/re-orient the sleeve, a tweezer like tool makes it much easier.

6. Putting the new pan and bolts back in was easy. I cleaned the mating surface with some 'sandpaper-like' wipes to get any debris that could potentially cause long term damage to the pan gasket.

7. Filling the the trans with new fluid was easy, just a little messing when the fluid started overflowing after 3 'start/stop and fills'.

8. I ended up only filling about 3.5 to 4 qts of fluid. Each time I started the car I let it run for 15 mins. After the last start/stop, I tried filling it but as soon as I opened the fill hole fluid started coming out of it. I assume the remaining fluid of the 6-7 qt capacity was in the torque converter.

9. Took me a total of 2 hrs to do all of the above. I kept the car on all 4 jacks when I started/stopped it.

Hope this helps anybody thinking about doing this job. It really is not tough at all...just make sure you have a good tool to maneuver the mechatronics sleeve!
I got 7 quarts in? Probably due to my car sitting for 24 hours draining lol!
By bbog on 04-20-2013, 08:43 PM
I just did the transmission oil pan and sleeve change. Now I've got three warnings:
1. "Transmission limp-homeprogram active ..... (page 130 of the owner's manual),
2. "Drive - off assistant has failed ... (page 128)
3. check engine light on.

While driving the car does not change gears. It seems to be stuck in third.

Any ideea? Any input is welcome.

Thanks.
By sammy_0559 on 04-21-2013, 02:01 PM
Member reviews
60%60%60%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
100%100%100%
Average 60%
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbog
I just did the transmission oil pan and sleeve change. Now I've got three warnings:
1. "Transmission limp-homeprogram active ..... (page 130 of the owner's manual),
2. "Drive - off assistant has failed ... (page 128)
3. check engine light on.

While driving the car does not change gears. It seems to be stuck in third.

Any ideea? Any input is welcome.

Thanks.
DON'T drive the car obviously.

Sounds like an issue with the mecatronics unit. Did you touch the prongs? You could've easily shorted it out or the plug might not be inserted properly

How many quarts of fluid did you put in it? You may be severely low
By micosan on 05-16-2013, 07:29 PM
Member reviews
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
20%20%20%
Average 20%
Quote:

What was the tool you used and could you post a picture? I don't see a way of accessing the sleeve by hand because there is only about 1 inch wide gap between the mechatronic and the transmission tunnel.
By Mr_SDP on 05-17-2013, 09:00 AM
Member reviews
60%60%60%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
80%80%80%
60%60%60%
Average 67%
Quote:
Originally Posted by micosan View Post
What was the tool you used and could you post a picture? I don't see a way of accessing the sleeve by hand because there is only about 1 inch wide gap between the mechatronic and the transmission tunnel.
See the attached picture. The tool I used is the one with the orange handle. Sorry if the picture sucks...
Attached Images

By Mr_SDP on 05-20-2013, 07:25 AM
Member reviews
60%60%60%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
80%80%80%
60%60%60%
Average 67%
I can't seem to pump more than 3 or 4 quarts of trans fluid in before its starts to spill out of the fill hole. I started the car and ran it about 15 mins, shifting through all the gears, but I still can't get any more fluid in. I did this several times. As soon as I unscrew the bolt over the fill hole, fluid comes gushing out. I feel like I'm losing more fluid every time I try to put more in. AND I can tell it doesn't shift as smooth as it did before, which is likely do to the fact that there not as much fluid in the trans as there was before I did this whole job. Is there a way to get more fluid in? Should I tilt the car forward to get more in? Please any help or suggestions would be great....
By kitesurfer on 05-20-2013, 06:50 PM
Member reviews
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
20%20%20%
Average 20%
Quote:
I can't seem to pump more than 3 or 4 quarts of trans fluid in before its starts to spill out of the fill hole. I started the car and ran it about 15 mins, shifting through all the gears, but I still can't get any more fluid in. I did this several times. As soon as I unscrew the bolt over the fill hole, fluid comes gushing out. I feel like I'm losing more fluid every time I try to put more in. AND I can tell it doesn't shift as smooth as it did before, which is likely do to the fact that there not as much fluid in the trans as there was before I did this whole job. Is there a way to get more fluid in? Should I tilt the car forward to get more in? Please any help or suggestions would be great....
I just did this recently when I changed the Mechatronic and it worked fine... Abe sure to have the car running when you go to top off the fluid, see the attached document specifically page 13 for proper fill insturctions
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 6HP21_mechatronic_replacement.pdf (1.44 MB, 351 views)
By Mr_SDP on 05-28-2013, 07:40 AM
Member reviews
60%60%60%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
80%80%80%
60%60%60%
Average 67%
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
I just did this recently when I changed the Mechatronic and it worked fine... Abe sure to have the car running when you go to top off the fluid, see the attached document specifically page 13 for proper fill insturctions
I was able to get another 2 qrts of trans fluid in with the engine running. It shifts significantly smoother now. Thanks!
By PARCH335i on 01-03-2014, 03:44 PM
Member reviews
100%100%100%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
100%100%100%
Average 73%
In preparation of your materials, include a few pan bolts (I purchased 5ea just in case). You will find at least 2 of them corroded. Best to inspect your pan bolts ahead of time.

There's a water drain tube (A/C?) In the RH transmission tunnel that drips water and collects on the rear right corner bolts. Kind of a poor design IMO. Heat from the exhaust tubes + water = corrosion over time. One bolt had corroded threads!

Tip on the mechatronics sleeve: I used a large deep-well socket with the same circumference as the sleeve. After pushing the sleeve in part way by hand, hold the socket in place then use a small pry bar on the socket against the transmission mount and the sleeve will seat nice and easy. (Oh and marking a reference spot with a silver sharpie on the old sleeve and transferring to the new is a big help! - thanks! to whomever first mentioned this.)
By 007_e350 on 07-20-2014, 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robc1976 View Post
I never trust BMW fluids ever since I used there oil....it is terrible in my opinion lol! I used redline in a lot if cars that had more power than this one lol! I just like redline...use it in my differential to!
I thought it's a range rover fluid
Comment