E90Post
 


Extreme Power House
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Roadster Rumors: BMW Z3 (RWD) Resurrection Being Considered



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-31-2011, 09:41 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
Jason's Avatar
United_States
6741
Rep
16,680
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Cool Roadster Rumors: BMW Z3 (RWD) Resurrection Being Considered

BIMMERPOST NEWS
Roadster Rumors: Return of BMW Z3 (RWD) Under Consideration
62
COMMENTS
Name:  02.jpg
Views: 11004
Size:  22.2 KB

This rumor will come as welcome news for those upset at last week's info that the upcoming Z2 baby roadster will be FWD. According to SCOTT26, what has happened is that the car which the Z2 was originally planned to be (a RWD roadster), is now a smaller concept than before and will be using the more compact modular UKL platform. It will now share the FWD platform with the next generation of MINI Coupe and Roadster and may be renamed the Z1.

So what about fans of a small RWD BMW roadster? With the Z2/Z1's move to the FWD UKL platform, the return of the BMW Z3 (RWD) is currently being considered (see next post). The new Z3 would come in traditional soft-top and coupe versions and would be based on the F20 1-series generation's modular platform.

But it doesn't end there for BMW's roadster lineup changes. The Z4 would be renamed the Z5 which would allow it to grow in size and for the smaller Z3 to slot in under it in the roadster lineup. The Z5 would utilize the F30 3-series generation platform.

The next few years look to be potentially exciting for fans of BMW roadster fans, as the potential lineup could look like:

BMW Z1: UKL FWD platform, soft top roadster
BMW Z3: F20 1-series generation platform, soft top and coupe versions
BMW Z5 (formerly Z4): F30 3-series generation platform, hardtop roadster


Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 02:04 PM   #2
SCOTT26
Brigadier General
SCOTT26's Avatar
311
Rep
3,238
Posts

 
Drives: Frozen Dark Silver 30 Jahre
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: WORLDWIDE

iTrader: (0)

Z3 Resurrection?



It is not just the BMW 2er and 4er BMW are thinking of for a resurrection.

One such name always endeared to BMW enthusiasts in the last decade a car that had it's humble beginnings although as static product placement as the vehicle of choice for the new Bond series,
which looked upon now could count as embarrassing for the famous spy , with the Blofields and industrialist super villains unable to control their bursts of laughter that their greatest adversary drove a BMW Z3 with a 1.9 engine.

The Z3 had looks and style what handicapped the car mostly with enthusiasts was the cost effective use of sub structure from the BMW compact and suspension and rear axle from the last decade of 3er the E30. Although the semi-retro design elements appealed as did the cache and lure of the BMW badge , Z3 did not become overly exciting until the next year introduction of the Z3 2.8i using BMW's acclaimed Straight-line Six which gave the car the performance urge it needed.

Even though the Z3 was launched on the back of "Goldeneye" the car was successful - sales wise. Demand in the US brought delays to other markets with some markets the UK for example being offered LHD models to appease customers who were on waiting lists for up to Two years , but it was not just the UK that had to endear to such periods of time , Germany and the US were also affected.

The Z3 was successful for BMW but many thought of time it moved upwards and onwards.
Hence why the Z4.

The new Roadster strategy included a Z2 but whilst the Z2 was originally part of the F20 Modular matrix expansion. BMW have now downsized the car onto another cost-effective platform - The UKL Matrix - The modular structure that will be accomodate the next MINI and the BMW FWD family. The decision is to allow BMW to have an entry level Roadster as part of it's new FWD family which will be under the designation of the BMW 1er. The BMW 1er Sporthatch which will be seen this week will accomodate sDrive badges to distinguish the RWD from the FWD 1er models.

Now the proposal is seen as Z1 which will allow BMW to share the Z1 Roadster with the next generation MINI Coupe/Roadster/Spyder. The new MINI Coupe and Roadster are very short lifecycle cars. The idea is for the Z1 Roadster to sustain the small Roadster segment whilst a new MINI Coupe and Roadster will arrive in the second half of the decade. The direction the next MINI Coupe and Roadster take will depend on the reaction to the new car which will break cover in a few weeks time. The car could take on a more individual appearance from the next MINI.

Z1 will allow the BMW 1er FWD family to offer a variety of cars to customers who are expected to migrate from other brands to BMW. BMW recently held workshops in cities in Germany where they test-clinic'd the FWD City Compact and the FWD GT. Subjects chosen were not BMW customers but from other brands but found the two cars different and very appealing , the Compact was very well received as was the GT which was tested amongst current owners of euro- mini MPV's.

With the movement of the Z2 to the UKL matrix, but under a newer design guise to bring it into contention with the other UKL cars.
The original Z2 proposal will now move upwards to effectively replace the Z4 as the Premium entry Roadster which is proposed as Z3 - The resurrection of the 1995-2002 first modern BMW Roadster. Given that the segment grows not only in markets but also in dimensions , The Z3 allows for the Z4 to take another surge upmarket and retain it's current appearance with a folding hard-top as the Z5. Effectively in what the Z2 was - RWD , Soft-top , compact and additional Coupe will now be the Z3 if BMW's executives get their way.



The return of the name is something that could bring the nostalgic owners back and another choice for the "Homecoming" visitors who take their annual pilgrimage to Spartanburg each year to it's home. Z3 could even return to Spartanburg for production if it proved cost effective for BMW?



The Z4 is seen as a more Premium Roadster than the Z3 before it whilst the progression is evident - By moving the vehicle upwards BMW could retain a premium product with the Z5, slightly larger in every respect and remain with a folding metal hard-top , Z5 could become more luxurious and be positioned below the 6er and below a more Premium Roadster proposal. In a way how Mercedes-Benz will have the SL and SLS AMG Roadster.

If the strategy gets the go-ahead then the Z3 will become a more modern engineered (based on the F20/F30 modular matrix. lighter , agile and sportier competitor to the current Roadster competition.
And the Z5 could appeal to more customers who want something more premium. Whilst the Z1 will be that entry level BMW Roadster - Stylish, effective and Premium to appeal to first time BMW customers.
__________________
Electrified
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 04:42 PM   #3
JonnyBoost
First Lieutenant
United_States
8
Rep
338
Posts

 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: May 2008
Location: SD

iTrader: (1)

1st
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 04:42 PM   #4
Boost Meister
Banned
2
Rep
36
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

Z1 Z2 Z3 Z4 Z5 WTH is wrong with this people?

.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 04:46 PM   #5
Jason
Administrator
Jason's Avatar
United_States
6741
Rep
16,680
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Meister View Post
Z1 Z2 Z3 Z4 Z5 WTH is wrong with this people?
According to the info above, there would only be a Z1, Z3, and Z5, each differentiated from each other by their drivetrain, platform, variants, and demographic.
__________________
Check on the Latest BMW News
Become a fan of Bimmerpost Facebook
Follow us on Bimmerpost Twitter
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 04:47 PM   #6
Boost Meister
Banned
2
Rep
36
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

We need a Z5, a Mercedes SL kind of roadster and a M variant of said Z5. And make a Z4 Coupe also with an M variant. Everything else should be scrapped

The Z1 sounds good but not in FWD
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 04:47 PM   #7
kardboard
Second Lieutenant
kardboard's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
248
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 M3, 2010 135i, 2004 WRX
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2010 135i  [3.00]
2004 WRX  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Meister View Post
Z1 Z2 Z3 Z4 Z5 WTH is wrong with this people?

We need a Z5, a Mercedes SL kind of roadster and a M variant of said Z5. And make a Z4 Coupe also with an M variant. Everything else should be scrapped.
And on top of the numerous models I wonder how many "special editions" there will be.
__________________
2006 M3: Individual Blue Onyx on Black. MT

2010 135i: Crimson Red with Black interior.

2004 WRX: World Rally Blue. My track toy.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 04:49 PM   #8
IancoleTX
Dillo boxers
IancoleTX's Avatar
United_States
40
Rep
3,041
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: USA

iTrader: (13)

Interesting bit of news - I think this should help appease the RWD fanbase by making clear the strategy of relegating only entry models to the FWD platform. It does still run against BMW heritage, but providing an alternative via a RWD mid-level model (for those of us who hold the experience of driving dear) helps a bit.
__________________
2011 135i 6MT - Alpine White / Savannah Beige
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 04:50 PM   #9
xoxoluvcrisxoxo
Private First Class
xoxoluvcrisxoxo's Avatar
Philippines
3
Rep
153
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 330i white/black
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Sylmar,Ca

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Meister View Post
We need a Z5, a Mercedes SL kind of roadster and a M variant of said Z5. And make a Z4 Coupe also with an M variant. Everything else should be scrapped

The Z1 sounds good but not in FWD
+1
i like your thinking
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 05:01 PM   #10
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
32
Rep
2,161
Posts

 
Drives: '08 135i, '03 WRX
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Denver, CO

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2003 Subaru WRX  [0.00]
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Meister View Post
We need a Z5, a Mercedes SL kind of roadster and a M variant of said Z5. And make a Z4 Coupe also with an M variant. Everything else should be scrapped

The Z1 sounds good but not in FWD
Why should everything else be scrapped? BMW could use a smaller, lower priced, back-to-basics roadster/coupe now that the current Z4 has moved further upmarket from the original Z3. There is a reason that the Mazda Miata/MX-5 sells so well, so why not offer it some competition.
__________________
Delivered in Munich, broken in on the Nurburgring.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 05:02 PM   #11
pyrat
First Lieutenant
pyrat's Avatar
4
Rep
324
Posts

 
Drives: 325i
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post


It is not just the BMW 2er and 4er BMW are thinking of for a resurrection.

One such name always endeared to BMW enthusiasts in the last decade a car that had it's humble beginnings although as static product placement as the vehicle of choice for the new Bond series,
which looked upon now could count as embarrassing for the famous spy , with the Blofields and industrialist super villains unable to control their bursts of laughter that their greatest adversary drove a BMW Z3 with a 1.9 engine.

The Z3 had looks and style what handicapped the car mostly with enthusiasts was the cost effective use of sub structure from the BMW compact and suspension and rear axle from the last decade of 3er the E30. Although the semi-retro design elements appealed as did the cache and lure of the BMW badge , Z3 did not become overly exciting until the next year introduction of the Z3 2.8i using BMW's acclaimed Straight-line Six which gave the car the performance urge it needed.


Even though the Z3 was launched on the back of "Goldeneye" the car was successful - sales wise
. Demand in the US brought delays to other markets with some markets the UK for example being offered LHD models to appease customers who were on waiting lists for up to Two years , but it was not just the UK that had to endear to such periods of time , Germany and the US were also affected.

The Z3 was successful for BMW but many thought of time it moved upwards and onwards.
Hence why the Z4.

The new Roadster strategy included a Z2 but whilst the Z2 was originally part of the F20 Modular matrix expansion. BMW have now downsized the car onto another cost-effective platform - The UKL Matrix - The modular structure that will be accomodate the next MINI and the BMW FWD family. The decision is to allow BMW to have an entry level Roadster as part of it's new FWD family which will be under the designation of the BMW 1er. The BMW 1er Sporthatch which will be seen this week will accomodate sDrive badges to distinguish the RWD from the FWD 1er models.

Now the proposal is seen as Z1 which will allow BMW to share the Z1 Roadster with the next generation MINI Coupe/Roadster/Spyder. The new MINI Coupe and Roadster are very short lifecycle cars. The idea is for the Z1 Roadster to sustain the small Roadster segment whilst a new MINI Coupe and Roadster will arrive in the second half of the decade. The direction the next MINI Coupe and Roadster take will depend on the reaction to the new car which will break cover in a few weeks time. The car could take on a more individual appearance from the next MINI.

Z1 will allow the BMW 1er FWD family to offer a variety of cars to customers who are expected to migrate from other brands to BMW. BMW recently held workshops in cities in Germany where they test-clinic'd the FWD City Compact and the FWD GT. Subjects chosen were not BMW customers but from other brands but found the two cars different and very appealing , the Compact was very well received as was the GT which was tested amongst current owners of euro- mini MPV's.

With the movement of the Z2 to the UKL matrix, but under a newer design guise to bring it into contention with the other UKL cars.
The original Z2 proposal will now move upwards to effectively replace the Z4 as the Premium entry Roadster which is proposed as Z3 - The resurrection of the 1995-2002 first modern BMW Roadster. Given that the segment grows not only in markets but also in dimensions , The Z3 allows for the Z4 to take another surge upmarket and retain it's current appearance with a folding hard-top as the Z5. Effectively in what the Z2 was - RWD , Soft-top , compact and additional Coupe will now be the Z3 if BMW's executives get their way.



The return of the name is something that could bring the nostalgic owners back and another choice for the "Homecoming" visitors who take their annual pilgrimage to Spartanburg each year to it's home. Z3 could even return to Spartanburg for production if it proved cost effective for BMW?



The Z4 is seen as a more Premium Roadster than the Z3 before it whilst the progression is evident - By moving the vehicle upwards BMW could retain a premium product with the Z5, slightly larger in every respect and remain with a folding metal hard-top , Z5 could become more luxurious and be positioned below the 6er and below a more Premium Roadster proposal. In a way how Mercedes-Benz will have the SL and SLS AMG Roadster.

If the strategy gets the go-ahead then the Z3 will become a more modern engineered (based on the F20/F30 modular matrix. lighter , agile and sportier competitor to the current Roadster competition.
And the Z5 could appeal to more customers who want something more premium. Whilst the Z1 will be that entry level BMW Roadster - Stylish, effective and Premium to appeal to first time BMW customers.
I think you meant to say, the car was promoted in the feature film Goldeneye, which is a cult classic, and so because the Z3.

Glad BMW is bringing back the Z3 in a softtop with RWD. Now my signature is true.
__________________

JOY is being offered in manual transmission and RWD.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 05:03 PM   #12
SCOTT26
Brigadier General
SCOTT26's Avatar
311
Rep
3,238
Posts

 
Drives: Frozen Dark Silver 30 Jahre
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: WORLDWIDE

iTrader: (0)

The shifting sands in relation to designation is actually adjustments rather than adding new models -

The UKL based Z1 will allow a straight forward BMW entry Roadster (similar to the MINI Roadster) and that car is a lot of fun. a real go-kart.

The Z3 will be the original Z2 proposal - , based on the F20 matrix be lighter and offer a Soft-top and a Coupe like the original Z3. a proper Roadster.

The Z5 will be the natural progression of the Z4 , allowing it to retain it's current premium image and folding hard-top to remain a Coupe or Roadster.
__________________
Electrified
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 05:06 PM   #13
WhoU4
First Lieutenant
WhoU4's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
341
Posts

 
Drives: '05 Z4 3.0i
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Madison, WI

iTrader: (0)

I was excited about the possibility of BMW making a soft-top light weight roadster again, and in a RWD configuration… and initial rumors had it that the Z2 would fit the bill. Now since it looks like the smaller roadster will be FWD I still want to see BMW bring in a RWD nimble lightweight roadster (w/soft-top) and could care less what they name it, let it be the Z3!!

BMW, please keep a RWD soft-top roadster in your lineup…
__________________


OEM Strut Brace / UUC SSK / Zeck CDV / Clutch Stop / ZHP Shift Knob / Stubby Ant / Top Covers / Dinan K&N / M Seats / SP / PP
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 05:08 PM   #14
Boost Meister
Banned
2
Rep
36
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
Why should everything else be scrapped? BMW could use a smaller, lower priced, back-to-basics roadster/coupe now that the current Z4 has moved further upmarket from the original Z3. There is a reason that the Mazda Miata/MX-5 sells so well, so why not offer it some competition.
BMW is not Mazda. Are you saying that BMW should make a car to compete with the Miata? That makes no sense. BMW is a premium brand. If they cant buy a z4 too bad then they cant have a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 05:10 PM   #15
MDivPower
Private First Class
MDivPower's Avatar
Egypt
1
Rep
121
Posts

 
Drives: mk4 Jetta
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Cairo

iTrader: (0)

every car maker is expanding their production, so does bmw, but that FWD plans does not seem a good move as it would not be appropriate to see a BMW understeering like other normal FWD cars, even if they produced the z2 to be a sporty FWD car with minimum understeer, in the future there will be base models that are not drive oriented at all! however the z5 and z3 seem a very attractive products, and then should come the z3/4 coupe, that would be staggering. and with m models it would be even more powerful, and get rid of that FWD cars thoughts and that would be perfect.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 05:10 PM   #16
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
-=Hot|Ice=-'s Avatar
United_States
184
Rep
4,727
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

There are officially too many BMW's. They're pulling a Mercedes.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
You sound like my buddies who have AMG's - Slam the gas, slam the brakes...
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 05:10 PM   #17
Boost Meister
Banned
2
Rep
36
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
The shifting sands in relation to designation is actually adjustments rather than adding new models -

The UKL based Z1 will allow a straight forward BMW entry Roadster (similar to the MINI Roadster) and that car is a lot of fun. a real go-kart.

The Z3 will be the original Z2 proposal - , based on the F20 matrix be lighter and offer a Soft-top and a Coupe like the original Z3. a proper Roadster.

The Z5 will be the natural progression of the Z4 , allowing it to retain it's current premium image and folding hard-top to remain a Coupe or Roadster.
What happened to the plans of the Z8 comeback?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 05:18 PM   #18
ArabianSensation
Lieutenant
ArabianSensation's Avatar
19
Rep
469
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

So let me get this straight.

We have the following:

Z1, Z3, Z5, Z8?
1er 2er 3er 4er 5er 6er 7er
X1 X2 X3 X4 X5 X6

When it used to be:

Z3/Z4
3er 5er 7er
X3 X5

Not to mention all the new M models. This is quite a bit to digest. BMW is really expanding the model line up rather quickly. I wonder how the common consumer will react.
__________________
Cars: M3, Accord V6
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 05:26 PM   #19
pyrat
First Lieutenant
pyrat's Avatar
4
Rep
324
Posts

 
Drives: 325i
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Meister View Post
BMW is not Mazda. Are you saying that BMW should make a car to compete with the Miata? That makes no sense. BMW is a premium brand. If they cant buy a z4 too bad then they cant have a BMW.
dont worry, the Z1 won't be cheap, it will be cheaper than the Z5
__________________

JOY is being offered in manual transmission and RWD.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 05:40 PM   #20
antzcrashing
... can I get a 1M
antzcrashing's Avatar
13
Rep
1,109
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Miami FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrat View Post
dont worry, the Z1 won't be cheap, it will be cheaper than the Z5
Z1: $40,000 base model
Z3: $45,000 base model
Z5: $55,000 base model
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 05:43 PM   #21
RWolf10
Lieutenant
RWolf10's Avatar
13
Rep
562
Posts

 
Drives: Alpine White 135i DCT
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chino Hills, CA

iTrader: (28)

thank you! this is definitely good news.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 05:47 PM   #22
Weird Side Effect
Side effects may include...
Weird Side Effect's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
168
Posts

 
Drives: e90 M3, e46 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Houston

iTrader: (0)

This = WIN. SO HOT!




Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:40 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST