E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Front-end "popping" noise

06-02-2011, 11:02 AM   #1
Psychorugby
Private First Class
United_States

Drives: 2008 Monaco Blue/Saddle X5

Send a message via AIM to Psychorugby
Front-end "popping" noise

I recently replaced my stock sport shocks and struts with Koni Yellows (also running H&R race springs) on my 2006 325 e90 with 77k miles. After the install, I noticed that that the upper mount does not freely spin if the strut mount nut was torqued to spec. As a result, there is a "popping" noise when turning at slow speeds; almost like the spring is binding. Is this an indication that the upper strut mounts are bad? This noise was not present when running the race springs with stock struts. I called Turner Motorsports and they said they had never had upper strut mounts go bad, so I am at a loss... even more so after sifting through this section for an hour. Koni does supply a different nut with a lock washer for the strut mount, which is different than BMW's locking nut... maybe an issue?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 02:34 PM   #2
Ghost170
Brigadier General
United_States

Drives: VIP Sport 335!

Garage List
did you install the stock spacer between spring perch and upper mount? is the bearing in the upper mount move freely? do you have it on too tight? I'd say re-check it, and make sure installed correctly. it is popping due to something binding. you want to make sure your shock and upper mount move freely.

AA AE GP HR LC M3 KW BMS BMW LUX CYBA STRI WORK HELIX MTECH LSWEEE(Wavetrac)!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 07:35 AM   #3
Psychorugby
Private First Class
United_States

The upper mount moves freely until I torque the nut to spec, then it binds up, not really sure why as this did not happen with the stock struts. We even greased the heck out of the bearings. I'm wondering if I reinstalled one of those washers backwards...
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 12:10 PM   #4
Ghost170
Brigadier General
United_States

Drives: VIP Sport 335!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychorugby View Post
The upper mount moves freely until I torque the nut to spec, then it binds up, not really sure why as this did not happen with the stock struts. We even greased the heck out of the bearings. I'm wondering if I reinstalled one of those washers backwards...
check to see if you have the washer installed between the upper mount and spring perch. If the spacer is not in, then it will bind. also make sure you don't over tighten too much. If you do take the shock out, hold the shock strut and top mount and turn it to see if it is moving freely. If not then you can take it apart and re-install properly.

AA AE GP HR LC M3 KW BMS BMW LUX CYBA STRI WORK HELIX MTECH LSWEEE(Wavetrac)!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 01:10 PM   #5
Psychorugby
Private First Class
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost170 View Post
check to see if you have the washer installed between the upper mount and spring perch. If the spacer is not in, then it will bind. also make sure you don't over tighten too much. If you do take the shock out, hold the shock strut and top mount and turn it to see if it is moving freely. If not then you can take it apart and re-install properly.
Spacer is installed between the perch and the upper mount. The only way I could have messed that up is putting the conical shaped side of the spacer facing the wrong direction. The noise goes away at 35 lb-ft of torque, but the nuts back off under normal driving at that torque. Currently, they are torqued to 45 lb-ft and I get some popping under slow speeds. If I torque to Koni's specification of 59 lb-ft the popping is ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 02:36 PM   #6
skim7x
Use it or Lose it
United_States

Drives: 335i e92

Garage List
2007 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Spacer is installed between the perch and the upper mount. The only way I could have messed that up is putting the conical shaped side of the spacer facing the wrong direction. The noise goes away at 35 lb-ft of torque, but the nuts back off under normal driving at that torque. Currently, they are torqued to 45 lb-ft and I get some popping under slow speeds. If I torque to Koni's specification of 59 lb-ft the popping is ridiculous.
+1

You put the washer in upside down.

Cobb S1+ | PTF e30 custom tune | AMS | CP-e | BMS OCC | Quaife
[Newark Photoshoot #1]
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 12:16 PM   #7
Thumperx
Major
United_States

Drives: 335I coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by skim7x View Post
+1

You put the washer in upside down.
Ok, I'm going to chime because I'm interested about a solution.

I too have similar/exact problem (plus small front right suspension rattle). I followed the advice of my first installer to purchase new Koni yellows for the front plus new shock mounts. NO change with the new front set was installed expect for less suspension rattle and more pronounce "pop" when turn the steering wheel ant low speeds.

Spoke with my installer, and he cannot figure it out. He states he followed all installation steps correctly. I believe him because he watched his work methodology. Just in case, I went to another local "tuner" shop dealing that works on BMWs & Porsches and had my first installer’s work checked, He too found everything correct. Plus he checked the washer’s orientation and it is correct orientation. (the rattle may come from the end links)

The only thing I have not supplied my install guy are new bolts. I have to trust my first install guy's torque abilities. He's the type of "do it right the first time" type.

I don't get it. Searching around the forums, there is enough of us experiencing similar issues. But there are no real and clear solutions. Any one else have any thoughts?
Name: Blanca | 07 E92 | AW-Blk | ZSP | Alcon BBK | M3 Bits | VM RR Links | Koni | UUC Sways | V5 | Dinan CAI | ETS IC | Fge DV | ER CP | Cyba | Raden. Exh | Mod Step | Trunk Drawer | Perf LED Wheel | Illum Dr Sills | IS Shifter | Parrot | Philps D1S | 6000k fog | MTECH RR | CSL Trunk | Aero | Roof Spoiler | PSS on BBS RS-GT 19s
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 06:28 PM   #8
JM3

Drives: e46 m3 and others

This is a common failed installation problem, going all the way back to the e30, and I have attached a pic that clarifies what other people have said. The e90 and e30 are essentially identical assemblies on top. Number 7 is probably missing or upside down. On an e90, number 8 is crimped to number 9.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 09:29 AM   #9
Thumperx
Major
United_States

Ok, I'm going back to my guy and insist for him to swap this washer around. Hopefully it solves the problem.
Name: Blanca | 07 E92 | AW-Blk | ZSP | Alcon BBK | M3 Bits | VM RR Links | Koni | UUC Sways | V5 | Dinan CAI | ETS IC | Fge DV | ER CP | Cyba | Raden. Exh | Mod Step | Trunk Drawer | Perf LED Wheel | Illum Dr Sills | IS Shifter | Parrot | Philps D1S | 6000k fog | MTECH RR | CSL Trunk | Aero | Roof Spoiler | PSS on BBS RS-GT 19s
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 01:42 PM   #10
335iPSI
PSI
United_States

Drives: 2011 AW 335D

Send a message via AIM to 335iPSI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumperx View Post
Ok, I'm going back to my guy and insist for him to swap this washer around. Hopefully it solves the problem.
Any update? I have the same issue .
      06-09-2011, 03:29 PM   #11
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States

Drives: 1.9L of fury

That washer (#8 in that pic) has a black stripe on one side. The bottom side of this washer is flat, and the top side (with the stripe) his higher in the middle, almost like a shallow cone. This side should be UP when placed on top of the the upper spring perch (#9).

#7 in that pic is a dust cap and is thin metal. that should be installed so that the lip is facing up.

I just installed konis on an E90 and made sure I had the washers on correctly, and with the top strut nut on with full torque, the top strut guide/mount spins freely. it is totally silent when driving.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 04:46 PM   #12
Thumperx
Major
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iPSI View Post
Any update? I have the same issue .
I'm going in this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-v View Post
That washer (#8 in that pic) has a black stripe on one side. The bottom side of this washer is flat, and the top side (with the stripe) his higher in the middle, almost like a shallow cone. This side should be UP when placed on top of the the upper spring perch (#9).

#7 in that pic is a dust cap and is thin metal. that should be installed so that the lip is facing up.

I just installed konis on an E90 and made sure I had the washers on correctly, and with the top strut nut on with full torque, the top strut guide/mount spins freely. it is totally silent when driving.
Thanks for the clarification tip. I'll keep the forum posted to my findings.

Last edited by Thumperx; 06-10-2011 at 02:27 PM.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 02:26 PM   #13
Thumperx
Major
United_States

Hey Guys,
I did more searching around and I came across Skim7x's post back in '08. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=torque&page=5 Mike-v, thanks for your input.

Go to line entry #93, and I think he states what I may need to look into. I'll report back to my findings. Plus I have a host of suspension work coming up (M3 front end bit and Velocity rear end links).
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 02:30 PM   #14
Psychorugby
Private First Class
United_States

I am hoping to check this out later this weekend. I wanted to do it this week, but my wife ended up in emergency surgery, delaying my plans to fix my car.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 04:27 AM   #15
REALESTBM
Never Riding Dirty
Germany

Drives: 2011 M3CP/ESS SC

I will be following this, I have a 2011 M3 with the competition package. I lowered it with H&R springs and I have the same shameful poping noise. Yes it sounds shameful!!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 06:57 AM   #16
Psychorugby
Private First Class
United_States

I am happy to report that switching the orientation of the washer fixed my problem. The flat side of the washer faces down. I'm never going to forget that now that I have torn the front end of my car apart six times. We have it down to a 5 minute science now though.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 09:18 AM   #17
f00dstamps
Private First Class
United_States

Drives: 2010 BMW 335d

Send a message via Skype™ to f00dstamps
I am getting noise from my front suspension also. I have the AST 4100's with Swift springs. I get the noise when I am traveling at a slow speed (<25mph). Most of you seem to be reporting this occurrence when you are turning but I also get the noise when I am going straight and slow.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 12:36 PM   #18
bucktown
Private First Class
Canada

Drives: 335i

im gonna bump this, as im riding on koni yellows/hr sports and have the same issue.

mine occurs only when turning right when moving slowly (and coming back to center from that right turn) and appears to be coming only from the left front shock which leads me to believe the upside-down washer theory would apply. (instal related, sound occurs independent of the right shock, only when specific loads are place to one side etc)

its not a metal on metal sound, more like a clunk/creak/pop. has anyone had any resolution with these issues? my car is going in on monday...

Quote:
I am happy to report that switching the orientation of the washer fixed my problem. The flat side of the washer faces down. I'm never going to forget that now that I have torn the front end of my car apart six times. We have it down to a 5 minute science now though.
good news!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 05:32 PM   #19
f00dstamps
Private First Class
United_States

Drives: 2010 BMW 335d

Send a message via Skype™ to f00dstamps
I'm going to check the front endlinks. That appears to be a popular problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 06:03 PM   #20
chumley
Captain

Drives: 2009 335

I'm going to have to check mine too. Mine's more of a loud "click" or metallic pop but only when the suspension first loads. Backing out of the driveway in the morning or leaving work, never when driving or turning the wheel.

PROcede V5Rev3+Openflash stacked, PWM Meth, DCI, BMW PE, ETS FMIC, Koni's w/Swifts, Rogue, Powerflex, SWS8xi's, Alufelgen Hyperblacks, LUX V4
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 02:45 AM   #21
dbjb
I sweat pheromones

Drives: e92 335i, retired SLK55

Interesting indeed. Lowered on hr sports and yellows. I get I small pop when reversing down my driveway. It's a hard left turn and the pop is heard when straightening.

I never noticed it until recently. It's barely noticeable but I am worried it may become more pronounced.

Subscribed.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 12:11 PM   #22
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States

Drives: 1.9L of fury

Quote:

nice. glad it worked out!
Appreciate 0