E90Post
 


TireRack
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > DIY: Under seats sub upgrade



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-04-2007, 08:53 AM   #45
etik
Private First Class
 
etik's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 320D
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Belgium

Posts: 136
iTrader: (0)

The actual problem is the seat rails, one is fitted above the sub. So you cannot have anything above the floorplan or the seat will not go back in place.

One solution would be to relocate the sub more towards the center of the underseat location.



The red line, illustrate the position of the seat rail when back in place.

I wonder why BMW fitted half of the sub surface under the seat rail
etik is offline   Belgium
0
Reply With Quote
      04-06-2007, 02:36 AM   #46
bnj
Banned
 
Drives: e92 335i
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Helsinki

Posts: 1,137
iTrader: (0)

Looks like if there would have been room for even 10" subs if you just modify it a bit more. Or what do you think yourself?
bnj is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-06-2007, 06:14 AM   #47
etik
Private First Class
 
etik's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 320D
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Belgium

Posts: 136
iTrader: (0)



The problem to fit a 10" sub I see is the design of the floorplan of the car.

A 10" will be very difficult to fit in the original enclosure with a spacer, only way will be a full custom then you still have to cope with the space available below the seat rail...
etik is offline   Belgium
0
Reply With Quote
      04-22-2007, 10:09 PM   #48
longhorn35
Longhorn Fanatic
 
longhorn35's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 328i Sedan
Join Date: May 2006
Location: McKinney, Texas

Posts: 50
iTrader: (0)

bump
longhorn35 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-23-2007, 10:51 AM   #49
T i h o r
n00b
 
T i h o r's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 e92 335i 6spd
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 1,981
iTrader: (12)

Send a message via MSN to T i h o r
Goodcall on the bump. Around the middle of the second page I was wondering if there was an update to this thread 'cause I was really interested to see if there was any new news on this.

A solid 10inch sub under the seat of my car?
Or better yet, under my gf's seat? ..Bass test anyone?
T i h o r is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-23-2007, 11:38 AM   #50
etik
Private First Class
 
etik's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 320D
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Belgium

Posts: 136
iTrader: (0)

no time to go further for now

I'm so overloaded with personal life, sun is shining over here. That I'm really not into spending a few more days in my garage... Hopefully it will rain soon
etik is offline   Belgium
0
Reply With Quote
      04-25-2007, 10:38 AM   #51
ksquare
Captain
 
Drives: 535 GT
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 651
iTrader: (0)

Have you guys tried Morel subs? They are pretty thin.

I've only got the 6.5 inch of their range and it sounded great. Not the type of booming till your ears bleed but quality bass. And I bi-amped them as well.
ksquare is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-25-2007, 11:21 AM   #52
bnj
Banned
 
Drives: e92 335i
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Helsinki

Posts: 1,137
iTrader: (0)

Morel Elate 9" have been put there.

http://www.sound-in-motion.com/installs/bmw_330xi.html

Having 2 x 9" under seats plus big one in the trunk might be an overkill.
bnj is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-25-2007, 12:41 PM   #53
T i h o r
n00b
 
T i h o r's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 e92 335i 6spd
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 1,981
iTrader: (12)

Send a message via MSN to T i h o r
Base can never overkill! lol
__________________
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
For Sale: BLIZZAKS / POTENZAS
PM Me!
T i h o r is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-25-2007, 01:43 PM   #54
etik
Private First Class
 
etik's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 320D
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Belgium

Posts: 136
iTrader: (0)

http://www.sound-in-motion.com/installs/bmw_330xi.html

Very nice setup for the underseat, too bad they don't do DIY
etik is offline   Belgium
0
Reply With Quote
      04-26-2007, 07:27 AM   #55
ksquare
Captain
 
Drives: 535 GT
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 651
iTrader: (0)

Mine's the 6.5" Morel Elates.
ksquare is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-10-2007, 06:39 AM   #56
RPSXR
Private
 
RPSXR's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 330D M SPORT
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Stansted UK

Posts: 99
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
bump
__________________

E90 330D M-SPORT MANUAL BLACK LEATHER IPOD-IF BLACKLINES
RPSXR is offline   Netherlands
0
Reply With Quote
      06-10-2007, 06:46 AM   #57
avincar
Private
 
Drives: touring sedan
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Portland, OR

Posts: 63
iTrader: (0)

has anyone mesured the volume of the enclosure?

I'm glad to hear that Morel's fit, but I'd be hard pressed to justify stuffing an Elate under my seat... especially when you remember that SIM used those as mid-bass, not sub-bass. They had a 10" as a sub in that car.

The Pioneer 8" is very peaky according to BassBoxPro in a small (0.4 cf) enclosure. Rings at like 75 Hz, with a fairly high peak and narrow Q. Not too confident in its SQ.
__________________
avincar.com
avincar is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-14-2007, 06:38 AM   #58
bnj
Banned
 
Drives: e92 335i
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Helsinki

Posts: 1,137
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by avincar View Post
has anyone mesured the volume of the enclosure?

I'm glad to hear that Morel's fit, but I'd be hard pressed to justify stuffing an Elate under my seat... especially when you remember that SIM used those as mid-bass, not sub-bass. They had a 10" as a sub in that car.

The Pioneer 8" is very peaky according to BassBoxPro in a small (0.4 cf) enclosure. Rings at like 75 Hz, with a fairly high peak and narrow Q. Not too confident in its SQ.
In the Sound-in-motion link the Morels they have put under seats are 9". Two of those high quality units should be quite fine for bass.
bnj is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-14-2007, 09:19 AM   #59
avincar
Private
 
Drives: touring sedan
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Portland, OR

Posts: 63
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnj View Post
In the Sound-in-motion link the Morels they have put under seats are 9". Two of those high quality units should be quite fine for bass.
The quality of the speakers is indeed fine - but I'm afraid they are not subwoofers as we are used to thinking of them.

If you look at their excursion, you'll see that they don't move as far - or play as loud - as a subwoofer usually does.

I would never use two of these as the sub for most of my clients, and I am a Morel dealer!

I believe the box volume they "want" it the size of a car door chamber - far larger, almost IB - compared to those underseat enclosures.

When you put a woofer in an undersized box,you give it a peak higher in its response and cause it to roll off right after that. This is why we often force midbass speakers into enclosures too small for subbass use.

I think that if SIM had had plent of bass from the two expensive 9", there would not have been a 10" which was nice, but not nearly as expensive as the two 9".
__________________
avincar.com
avincar is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-14-2007, 05:26 PM   #60
bnj
Banned
 
Drives: e92 335i
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Helsinki

Posts: 1,137
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by avincar View Post
The quality of the speakers is indeed fine - but I'm afraid they are not subwoofers as we are used to thinking of them.

If you look at their excursion, you'll see that they don't move as far - or play as loud - as a subwoofer usually does.

I would never use two of these as the sub for most of my clients, and I am a Morel dealer!

I believe the box volume they "want" it the size of a car door chamber - far larger, almost IB - compared to those underseat enclosures.

When you put a woofer in an undersized box,you give it a peak higher in its response and cause it to roll off right after that. This is why we often force midbass speakers into enclosures too small for subbass use.

I think that if SIM had had plent of bass from the two expensive 9", there would not have been a 10" which was nice, but not nearly as expensive as the two 9".
Good points Avincar. What would you do then? What about Earthquake SWS-8? That might be designed for small enclosures?

Subs under seats would be perfect solution for driving. Limited weight located low and in between axles. Heavy box in the trunk is not an option. What would be the best replacement for stock subs? How about only one 10" shallow sub under passanger seat in an enlargened enclosure and an amp for it under driver's seat? I don't want the bass to be loud, just natural and being able to play the low frequencies.
bnj is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-14-2007, 10:11 PM   #61
bigjae1976
That's what she said...
 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Posts: 5,463
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Interesting...but upgrade options will be extremely limited.
bigjae1976 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-14-2007, 11:06 PM   #62
BMXtreme
Lieutenant Colonel
 
BMXtreme's Avatar
 
Drives: E60 535i
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Redmond, WA

Posts: 1,657
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Lets get more rattles in there!...yeehawww
BMXtreme is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-14-2007, 11:51 PM   #63
avincar
Private
 
Drives: touring sedan
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Portland, OR

Posts: 63
iTrader: (0)

Let's say you fit a 10" under the seat.

A woofer's performance is a function of its enclosure volume. The volume needs to be appropriate to the woofer's compliance and resonance characteristics.

So fit all the 8" and 10" you want in there, folks, but maybe before you do, someone might wanna test the volume and the porting freq? I haven't seen anyone post either of those - if I just missed it, my apologies, love to hear those called out.

Because the word I get from the shops that have tried this is that it is for midbass only and it's not worth doing an upgrade for subbass. The Earthquakes fit but are not subs in that ultra-small enclosure - which is not optimal for them.

I'm willing to try amplifying the stock woofs and seeing how long they last... But only with 50 watts and with a 10-band parametric to tune the snot out of them.
__________________
avincar.com
avincar is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-15-2007, 08:03 AM   #64
bnj
Banned
 
Drives: e92 335i
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Helsinki

Posts: 1,137
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by avincar View Post
Let's say you fit a 10" under the seat.

A woofer's performance is a function of its enclosure volume. The volume needs to be appropriate to the woofer's compliance and resonance characteristics.

So fit all the 8" and 10" you want in there, folks, but maybe before you do, someone might wanna test the volume and the porting freq? I haven't seen anyone post either of those - if I just missed it, my apologies, love to hear those called out.

Because the word I get from the shops that have tried this is that it is for midbass only and it's not worth doing an upgrade for subbass. The Earthquakes fit but are not subs in that ultra-small enclosure - which is not optimal for them.

I'm willing to try amplifying the stock woofs and seeing how long they last... But only with 50 watts and with a 10-band parametric to tune the snot out of them.
By looking at the pictures in
http://www.bmwfaq.com/showthread.php?t=119763
it seems that the stock enclosure is less than Earthquake suggests for SWS-8 (= outer measures 10 x 10 x 3 inches at 5/8" MFD).
However from the pictures it looks like there would be a lot more depth in centimeters under the stock enclosure the total space available being more than required.
bnj is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-07-2007, 01:44 PM   #65
scampos1984
Spaniard member
 
Drives: E90 & E91 320d
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Madrid, Spain

Posts: 197
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnj View Post
By looking at the pictures in
http://www.bmwfaq.com/showthread.php?t=119763
it seems that the stock enclosure is less than Earthquake suggests for SWS-8 (= outer measures 10 x 10 x 3 inches at 5/8" MFD).
However from the pictures it looks like there would be a lot more depth in centimeters under the stock enclosure the total space available being more than required.
Great Spaniard forum that one
scampos1984 is offline   Spain
0
Reply With Quote
      08-07-2007, 02:32 PM   #66
bmrowe
Private
 
bmrowe's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i monaco/terra
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Posts: 65
iTrader: (1)

As soon as you upgrade the two subs, they will dominate the acoustical presence of the system. You would then need to upgrade all the speakers (and therefore add more amps) to make the system balanced again. So just adding subs will make it actually perform worse than the basic Logic 7 system. I think I have driven by more than enough cars with their subs so much louder than their mains for one lifetime.
bmrowe is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:18 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST