Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

TireRack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Up to how many miles is it ok to just change one tire vs. a pair?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

Wheel offset calculator courtesy of BimmerPost.com. You may use this calculator to calculate what tire sizes you might need if you upgrade your tires, or what wheel sizes/offsets are compatible with your car.
    Current Wheel Width  inches             Current Wheel Offset  mm.
         New Wheel Width  inches                  New Wheel Offset  mm.

TIRE WIDTH
/
ASPECT RATIO
- WHEEL DIAMETER
ORIGINAL TIRES
/
NEW TIRES
/
Based on your stock wheel setup, your new wheel will have:
Original Tires Diameter (in.)
      New Tires Diameter (in.)
  Difference in diameter (in.)
           Percent Difference %

Speedo @60mph will read: mph
Collapse/Expand the BimmerPost Wheel and Tire calculator

05-30-2011, 06:56 PM   #1
Lotus99
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 335i

Up to how many miles is it ok to just change one tire vs. a pair?

I've got a 535 x drive, with run flat 245/40/18's all around. All 4 tires have 7/32 left on the tread (brand new they were 10/32). They have about 12,000 miles on them, with even wear fortunately. I've got an issue with one front tire that needs replacement, so I'll be getting a brand new one for it.

I was told by the tire shop that since the wear is not that high, I can get away with just replacing this one in the front, and not both the fronts. Which is great news.

But I thought it was always a no-no to have uneven tread depth, but he said car manufacturers allow for up to 7/32 of wear, before requiring a new one on the other side, and I only have 3/32 of wear.

Any comments?

EDIT: I now need two tires on right side of vehicle, so please read my post #4 about which corners to put the two new ones.

Last edited by Lotus99; 06-03-2011 at 10:32 AM.
Lotus99 is offline   Canada
      05-30-2011, 09:34 PM   #2
Lotus99
Lieutenant Colonel

LOL, I should have just searched on Tire Rack in the first place! Looks like I should be ok with 3/32 of difference, and won't need the new tire shaved. The advice I got that up to 7/32 of difference was ok, seemed out of whack to me.

PS I also found out if the difference is larger, you can have the new tire shaved to match the tread depth on the old ones, which is very cool! I'd have never thought of that!

Replacing Pairs of Tires or Individual Tires

There are several suggestions that have been offered to drivers who are replacing pairs or individual tires on their four-wheel drive and all-wheel drive vehicles. Some vehicle manufacturers recommend that all tires maintain the same rolling radius and circumference, while others suggest that all tire circumferences remain within 1/4- to 1/2-inch of each other. Other vehicle manufacturers recommend that all four tires remain within 2/32-, 3/32- or 4/32-inch of each other, or within 30% of each other in relative remaining tread depth.

And some mfr specific info:

Audi As published in their vehicle owner's manual, "rolling radius of all 4 tires must remain the same" or within 4/32-inch of each other in remaining tread depth.

Porsche Cayenne within 30% of the other tire on the same axle's remaining treadwear.

Subaru Within 1/4-inch of tire circumference or about 2/32-inch of each other in remaining tread depth.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=18

Last edited by Lotus99; 07-04-2012 at 08:00 PM.
      05-31-2011, 09:49 AM   #3
Gary@TireRack

Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

+1
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AH8&url=index.jsp

Please refer to 'Gary' as your previous contact when you order online.
Gary@TireRack is offline   United_States
      06-01-2011, 05:26 PM   #4
Lotus99
Lieutenant Colonel

PS A related question, if you got a sec.

It turns out besides the front passenger tire that needs replacement from a road hazard, I'll need the rear passenger one replaced too. I know BMW says not to rotate your tires, but at this point, instead of two new tires on the right side of car, and two tires with 7/32 tread on left side, am I better off having the two new tires on the front or the rear, and swapping one from the left side over?

If so, would you put the two new ones on rear or front, seeing the car's an X drive? All 4 have worn pretty much even after 12,000 miles on this car, unlike our previous XC70 whose tires wore more in the front (it had more of a FWD bias though AFAIK, which probably explains that).
      06-03-2011, 12:56 AM   #5
Lotus99
Lieutenant Colonel

Bump for help on my question please. Thanks.
      06-03-2011, 01:22 AM   #6
Tyetiger
Private

Drives: 2007 335xi Titanium Silver JB4

LOL! I had the same issue a few weeks ago. Had a big bubble on my front-pass run flat tire (had 7/32 tread) and had a small one developing on my front-drive side (8/32). But my rear tires were 8/32(rear-drive side) and 9/32 (rear-pass side). Thank god for ebay and craigslist. found 2 front tires with 9/32 on them for the price of 1.
Tyetiger is offline   United_States
      06-03-2011, 10:34 AM   #7
Lotus99
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyetiger View Post
LOL! I had the same issue a few weeks ago. Had a big bubble on my front-pass run flat tire (had 7/32 tread) and had a small one developing on my front-drive side (8/32). But my rear tires were 8/32(rear-drive side) and 9/32 (rear-pass side). Thank god for ebay and craigslist. found 2 front tires with 9/32 on them for the price of 1.
I guess it was an easy decision for you, since putting a similar pair on one axle makes sense. I'm just trying to figure out if that's the recommended thing in my case too, or replacing the passenger side tires with new ones is fine, and leaving the driver's side ones at 7/32, or I'm better off having a new pair on one axle, in which case, which one.