E90Post
 


N54Tuning.com
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Asia > Hong Kong > Car in Service Centre



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-03-2011, 10:07 AM   #1
cc_bavarian
First Lieutenant
 
cc_bavarian's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007+ E90 330i
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 317
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 E90 330i  [0.00]
Car in Service Centre

My engine light came on last Sunday night. Luckily I was close to my home and before I got on to the on-ramp to Kowloon. I had to get her towed to Tsuen Wan BMW. She's been waiting all this week to get on the service bay for inspection and now no car for the long weekend. The guy said there's just too many old/new bimmers and mini's in HK and not enough BMW mechanics and service centres.

Anyway, he had asked me about my mods. But I told him they were done by previous owner (sorry T if you're reading). I said I just did the M-body kit and Perf. Intake. What will they say to me about the other stuff and not getting gov't inspection on the Exhaust and Perf. Intake?
cc_bavarian is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      06-03-2011, 10:21 AM   #2
little_croco
Colonel
 
little_croco's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 330i Monaco Blue/Beige
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 2,957
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [3.00]
Send a message via ICQ to little_croco Send a message via MSN to little_croco Send a message via Yahoo to little_croco Send a message via Skype™ to little_croco
they should not bother. they will just quote you on what's need to fix.
__________________
E90 330i VB32 Monaco Blue/Beige/BurledWalnut - Prodrive GC-014I Forged 18" 8.5J/9.5J British Black + Michelin PSS 225/255 + Bilstein PSS10 + H&R ARBs + ACS bodykit + Brembo Gran Turismo Brake Kit 355-6F/345-4R + Rogue Engineering IKON exhaust kit + Simota Intake V2 + MFD Scoops + Blackline w/ red bulbs + PIAA H11 4700K fog + PIAA 6500K White Angel Eyes + MTEC 7000K license plate LED + GS-55 front doors LED + Valentine-1
little_croco is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      06-03-2011, 10:24 AM   #3
ny911
Captain
 
ny911's Avatar
 
Drives: R35
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 632
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to ny911
The SAs in Tsuen Wan were not responsible and experienced enough. I had a not good experience last time sending back my 523i for oil/filter change and rattle fix. I would never visit this service centre anymore even this is the closest to my home.
ny911 is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      06-03-2011, 10:26 AM   #4
JohnMan
Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90 325i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 423
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_bavarian View Post
My engine light came on last Sunday night. Luckily I was close to my home and before I got on to the on-ramp to Kowloon. I had to get her towed to Tsuen Wan BMW. She's been waiting all this week to get on the service bay for inspection and now no car for the long weekend. The guy said there's just too many old/new bimmers and mini's in HK and not enough BMW mechanics and service centres.

Anyway, he had asked me about my mods. But I told him they were done by previous owner (sorry T if you're reading). I said I just did the M-body kit and Perf. Intake. What will they say to me about the other stuff and not getting gov't inspection on the Exhaust and Perf. Intake?
Would it be better to go to a local (reputable) garage to fix it? Probably cheaper then BMW HK, which to my knowledge is the most expensive repair choice, but probably the most reliable( although if ny911 is correct, Tsuen Wan might be below expectation). Of course, if it's a question of shortage in spare parts and more seriously, skilled mechanics throughout Hong Kong, then going to a local garage might not help much.
JohnMan is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-03-2011, 11:55 AM   #5
cc_bavarian
First Lieutenant
 
cc_bavarian's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007+ E90 330i
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 317
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 E90 330i  [0.00]
Thanks bros for your feedback.

I would love to bring to my own garage but means I need to tow her there. Already quoted over $1k for towing from Tung Chung! I've got no throttle/accelorator response from the gas pedal so I can't drive her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMan View Post
Would it be better to go to a local (reputable) garage to fix it? Probably cheaper then BMW HK, which to my knowledge is the most expensive repair choice, but probably the most reliable( although if ny911 is correct, Tsuen Wan might be below expectation). Of course, if it's a question of shortage in spare parts and more seriously, skilled mechanics throughout Hong Kong, then going to a local garage might not help much.
cc_bavarian is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      06-03-2011, 12:06 PM   #6
ny911
Captain
 
ny911's Avatar
 
Drives: R35
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 632
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to ny911
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMan View Post
Would it be better to go to a local (reputable) garage to fix it? Probably cheaper then BMW HK, which to my knowledge is the most expensive repair choice, but probably the most reliable( although if ny911 is correct, Tsuen Wan might be below expectation). Of course, if it's a question of shortage in spare parts and more seriously, skilled mechanics throughout Hong Kong, then going to a local garage might not help much.
I think there is no point to send back your car to BMWHK, unless full service records were maintained by the previous owner(s) of your car or you don't have good relationship with other local garages. But overall, BMWHK charges more reasonable than Zungfu, Audi(DCH) or Toyota.

The reason I send back my 523i as it is still under warranty,hence I could ask them to fix the rattles for me with no charge. BMW now uses Shell Helix Ultra instead of Mobil 1 Gold for non-M cars. The SAs didn't inform me this,otherwise I would have done the oil change outside for my 523i instead.
ny911 is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      06-03-2011, 07:30 PM   #7
JohnMan
Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90 325i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 423
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny911 View Post
I think there is no point to send back your car to BMWHK, unless full service records were maintained by the previous owner(s) of your car or you don't have good relationship with other local garages. But overall, BMWHK charges more reasonable than Zungfu, Audi(DCH) or Toyota.

The reason I send back my 523i as it is still under warranty,hence I could ask them to fix the rattles for me with no charge. BMW now uses Shell Helix Ultra instead of Mobil 1 Gold for non-M cars. The SAs didn't inform me this,otherwise I would have done the oil change outside for my 523i instead.
Oh that reminds me, those Dah Cheong (DCH) guys really rip you off. I agree, even worse then BMWHK, which is already pretty expensive! I know someone with a Honda and you had to go to Dah Cheong otherwise they invalidate your warranty. Nothing new there, except when DCH hit you with so many charges and hidden cost! Very unreasonable pricing if you asked me, but then they are the exclusive "official" maintenance choice for Honda and Audi!

Last edited by JohnMan; 06-04-2011 at 08:57 AM.
JohnMan is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-04-2011, 12:13 AM   #8
trekker
Private First Class
 
Drives: e90LCI
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: HONG KONG

Posts: 116
iTrader: (0)

I wasnt happy with Tsuen Wan service centre either when I went there for my first service. I had some small noise coming out from the front room light area. They kept my car there for 2 days but couldnt fix anything. The guy didnt even call me to pick up the car until I called him up asked about it. When I went to pick up my car, the guy was trying to blame my car camera making those noise but it was so obvious the cam has nothing to do with it. He then told me I would need to leave my car there for a week so they can find out what the problem was. I was so sick of his bullshit and just tell him to forget about it. Guess what?! I fixed it up myself in about 10 mins. The first service was free of charge, but there is no fucking way I will pay to get the service done there in the future.

As far as the mod goes, they dont really care what you do to your car/s as long as its not to the extreme. I had some small mods on mine and the guy just told me those modded parts not done at BWMs wont be covered with the warranty.
trekker is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-04-2011, 09:05 AM   #9
JohnMan
Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90 325i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 423
iTrader: (0)

So CC Bavarian, have the BMWHK guys figure out what is wrong? Could it be leaking oil? I reckon you do regular oil change after certain X number of km, so I think this wsa not out of negligence on your part in regards to engine care. Which means there could be something else wrong with the engine. Or alternatively it may not be the engine but the electronics...
JohnMan is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2011, 10:42 PM   #10
cc_bavarian
First Lieutenant
 
cc_bavarian's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007+ E90 330i
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 317
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 E90 330i  [0.00]
Finally got the car back! Problem was the BMS Powerbox I have connected to the ECU came loose. They replicated the errors by connecting and disconnecting it. So they connected tightly for me. I could have saved all the trouble and fixed it myself for free. But blame my installer for the loose connection. Damage was $25xx.
cc_bavarian is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      06-09-2011, 12:03 AM   #11
Harriz.c
First Lieutenant
 
Harriz.c's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Hong kong

Posts: 342
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 BMW m3  [0.00]
Send a message via MSN to Harriz.c
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_bavarian View Post
Finally got the car back! Problem was the BMS Powerbox I have connected to the ECU came loose. They replicated the errors by connecting and disconnecting it. So they connected tightly for me. I could have saved all the trouble and fixed it myself for free. But blame my installer for the loose connection. Damage was $25xx.

Uh oh... Tht means I Shud check mine lol...
Harriz.c is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      06-09-2011, 01:33 AM   #12
cc_bavarian
First Lieutenant
 
cc_bavarian's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007+ E90 330i
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 317
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 E90 330i  [0.00]
LOL...that's right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harriz.c View Post
Uh oh... Tht means I Shud check mine lol...
cc_bavarian is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      06-09-2011, 02:21 AM   #13
william_cwl
Second Lieutenant
 
william_cwl's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E91
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: HK

Posts: 210
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E91 323  [0.00]
did u install the bms powerbox by yourself? i am thinking of getting one....is it easy to DIY?
__________________
william_cwl is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-09-2011, 02:28 AM   #14
Harriz.c
First Lieutenant
 
Harriz.c's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Hong kong

Posts: 342
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 BMW m3  [0.00]
Send a message via MSN to Harriz.c
Quote:
Originally Posted by william_cwl View Post
did u install the bms powerbox by yourself? i am thinking of getting one....is it easy to DIY?
I did it myself before... But screwed the whole thing up and broke my comp... Had to change the computer for the bm...
Harriz.c is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      06-09-2011, 11:18 AM   #15
cc_bavarian
First Lieutenant
 
cc_bavarian's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007+ E90 330i
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 317
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 E90 330i  [0.00]
I bought the device directly from Burgertuning but got a garage to install. The wiring is a bit confusing for me to DIY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by william_cwl View Post
did u install the bms powerbox by yourself? i am thinking of getting one....is it easy to DIY?
cc_bavarian is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      06-09-2011, 08:30 PM   #16
JohnMan
Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90 325i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 423
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_bavarian View Post
I bought the device directly from Burgertuning but got a garage to install. The wiring is a bit confusing for me to DIY.
Talking about DIY, I notice in HK, very few people can do DIY. The lack of space, time and equipment is a big obstacle. Not to mention the limited avenues for car knowledge. Not many Chinese language books offer DIY stuff to amateurs (as opposed to professional mechanics). Even if you bought the English DIY books (i.e Hayne's BMW 3 series repair manuals), you can't get the tools easily in Hong Kong.There are also not many DIY courses. I think there are some at HKAA if I recall, but nowhere as many as in Canada. Or maybe I'm wrong and there are plenty of DIY guides and tools in Hong Kong? Even relatively simple things like changing engine oil/brake pads by myself can save me a bundle, haha, if only I have the tools! (and space! My own car park frowns on DIY there-those #$%%!)
JohnMan is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:49 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST