E90Post

Extreme Power House

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Has any1 used ROYAL PURPLE full syn oil?

06-04-2011, 02:13 AM   #23
s2k_335i
This is it!!

Drives: FBO 335i without meth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb View Post
Yep, but it'll be a different story if you have a lubrication related issue. At that point you'll be required to prove that you used approved fluids for all work.

Feel free to use dishwater mixed with sawdust in your engine. Just don't come back here and whine when your warranty claim is denied.

Then ask yourself why you were so stupid as to not use LL-01 oil while you were under warranty.
I am not sure how dealer can tell the difference between the oil but you win!!!! now go and clean my car.
      06-04-2011, 07:20 AM   #24
gunnerxq
Captain

Drives: e90 "325i"

Use Moly lubro. Imy car used to burn a full quart every thousand miles. I still drive aggressively and its been 2000 miles but it still hasn't burned any oil.no offense I think American oils are shit they just couldn't hold up. I tried everything mobile one, penzoil, and valvoline.
      06-04-2011, 08:30 AM   #25
Kolyan2k
Brigadier General

Drives: 2006 S2000

Quote:
Yep, but it'll be a different story if you have a lubrication related issue. At that point you'll be required to prove that you used approved fluids for all work.

Feel free to use dishwater mixed with sawdust in your engine. Just don't come back here and whine when your warranty claim is denied.

Then ask yourself why you were so stupid as to not use LL-01 oil while you were under warranty.
I am also curious how the hell will dealer know the difference between Mobil1 and some Royal Purple ? I have never heard of any dealer sending oil to oil labs to screw the customer. In fact my M3 had oil leaking from head gasket all over the motor at 35k miles and no one even asked me for oil change receipts...

and recommended BMW oils are not even synthetic after all (just a blend here in USA)

EDIT: sure if Royal Purple turns out to be a scam and instead of full synthetic motor oil they use olive oil from mom's kitchen, then yeah i can see a problem with dealership. Other then that, pretty much no oil from any store will cause engine problems with-in warranty period

Last edited by Kolyan2k; 06-04-2011 at 10:03 AM.
      06-04-2011, 09:18 AM   #26
ceb
NHTSA Nazi

Drives: 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
I am also curious how the hell will dealer know the difference between Mobil1 and some Royal Purple ? I have never heard of any dealer sending oil to oil labs to screw the customer. In fact my M3 had oil leaking from head gasket all over the motor at 35k miles and no one even asked me for oil change receipts...

and recommended BMW oils are not even synthetic after all (just a blend here in USA)
What's that well known quote "you can't argue with stupid?"

A leaking head gasket is NOT a lubrication problem (although it can obviously lead to one) but a dealer can (and they have in the past) send oil off for analysis if they believe that the oil caused the problem.

These oil discussions are stupid.

No oil has magic qualities that will increase gas mileage, add horsepower or increase longevity. The only thing a non-approved oil will do is risk your warranty and may cause lubrication issues.

The only reason to risk it for bragging rights that "I use Royal Poopie."

Intentional ignorance and fanboi'ism are incurable. I'm out of this thread.
      06-04-2011, 09:27 AM   #27
Turkeybaster115
Banned

Drives: 335I

Quote:
Stop using childish insults to ram home your tired rhetoric. Instead deliver a better educated, and more informed message. BMW stamps their LL01 approval on ANY oil that meets either the european auto manufacturer's association testing result of A3B3 and greater, or the American Petroleum Institute's testing result of SJ, and higher. So Royal purple has I think 1 oil that was tested by the API, that scored an SL rating. Use that oil, and if the stealership, trackrat, or ceb has any issues, educate them on the fact that when we learned the alphabet back in kindergarten, L came after J Also point to castrol's 10W60, which BMW puts in all their M engines. That oil has only one certification: API SJ! good enough for them.
      06-04-2011, 10:15 AM   #28
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.

Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 View Post
... BMW stamps their LL01 approval on ANY oil that meets either the european auto manufacturer's association testing result of A3B3 and greater, or the American Petroleum Institute's testing result of SJ, and higher. ...
Gosh. That's quite interesting. I'm sure you have a copy of a BMW document that backs up this wild assertion.

You seem to have quite a bit of insight into the internal workings of BMW so put your money where your mouth is and post up that document.

Quote:
... Also point to castrol's 10W60, which BMW puts in all their M engines. That oil has only one certification: API SJ! good enough for them.
So are you saying that because Castrol 10W60 is approved for M engines that it is suitable for all BMW engines?

Isn't it a fact that you have no clue about BMW oil testing procedures and are just making stuff up?

While you may disagree with TrackRat's postings because you don't understand them, how can you continue to propose that people use untested and unapproved oil when you know perfectly well that they are risking their warranty?

Oh, you don't care, because it is somebody else's wallet.

What benefit do they get from using Royal Purple, AMSOIL or any other untested oil?
      06-04-2011, 10:20 AM   #29
Kolyan2k
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1111 View Post
Gosh. That's quite interesting. I'm sure you have a copy of a BMW document that backs up this wild assertion.

You seem to have quite a bit of insight into the internal workings of BMW so put your money where your mouth is and post up that document.

So are you saying that because Castrol 10W60 is approved for M engines that it is suitable for all BMW engines?

Isn't it a fact that you have no clue about BMW oil testing procedures and are just making stuff up?

While you may disagree with TrackRat's postings because you don't understand them, how can you continue to propose that people use untested and unapproved oil when you know perfectly well that they are risking their warranty?

Oh, you don't care, because it is somebody else's wallet.

What benefit do they get from using Royal Purple, AMSOIL or any other untested oil?
no body is risking any warranty. one benefit would be that those oils are fully synthetic just like oils recommended by BMW in Germany. BMW is USA is just being CHEAP and they dont even use 10w60 German oil in M cars anymore, instead they use 5w30 blend. And as far as I know BMW 5w30 oil is also a blend, not synthetic.
      06-04-2011, 10:34 AM   #30
roundle
EXPAT

Drives: 2011 328iT (US-Spec, 6MT, ZSP)

Quote:
no body is risking any warranty. one benefit would be that those oils are fully synthetic just like oils recommended by BMW in Germany. BMW is USA is just being CHEAP and they dont even use 10w60 German oil in M cars anymore, instead they use 5w30 blend. And as far as I know BMW 5w30 oil is also a blend, not synthetic.
USA BMW 5W30 is Castrol SoftTec. Porsche used this stuff a while ago. It's not bad, but you are right, it's just a refined group III dino oil.

BMW uses Castrol SLX 0W30 in Europe. It's a group IV, PAO-based oil (i.e. a "real" synthetic).

Key differences between Europe and the USA: EU gas contains less sulfer than USA gas; PAO oils may not like sulfer (hence the reason BMW NA suggests LL01 and not LL04). Also, in Europe, service is not included in the price of a new BMW; from day one, dealer oil changes cost about $300 (in part due to the fact that Castrol SLX costs about $30 per quart).

If you want to go for a true PAO that's been approved by BMW NA, I belive that AutoZone carries Castrol Edge\Syntec 0W30 (look for the bottle that says "Made in Germany"--only the 0-weight will be the real deal).

Last edited by roundle; 06-04-2011 at 04:49 PM.
roundle is offline   Netherlands
      06-04-2011, 10:38 AM   #31
Kolyan2k
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundle View Post
USA BMW 5W30 is Castrol SoftTec. Porsche used this stuff a while ago. It's not bad, but you are right, it's just a refined group III dino oil.

BMW uses Castrol SLX 0W30 in Europe. It's a group IV, PAO-based oil (i.e. a "real" synthetic).

Key differences between Europe and the USA: EU gas contains less sulfer than USA gas; PAO oils may not like sulfer (hence the reason BMW NA suggests LL01 and not LL04). Also, in Europe, service and not included in the price of a new car; from day one, dealer oil changes cost about $300 (in part due to the fact that Castrol SLX costs about $30 per quart).

If you want to go for a true PAO that's been approved by BMW NA, I belive that AutoZone carries Castrol Edge\Syntec 0W30 (look for the bottle that says "Made in Germany").
thanks for the info.

I think ALL Mobil 1 oil used to be Group IV, and M cars got 10w60. Now both M1 and BMW are just being cheap....I mean gas is the same as it always has been, but oil is now Group III. Yeah Castrol 0w30 and I think Mobil1 0w40 are PAO Group IV oils. Redline Oils are Group V

EDIT: Mobil 1 is also hiding this VERY well that 10w30 and 5w30 oils are NOT synthetic. They have like a Q/A forum or something and people asked about this, Mobil 1 refused to give direct answer and said they are not allowed to disclose this information. People said that years ago it was all over their website that ALL oils are PAO

all this is fishy

Last edited by Kolyan2k; 06-04-2011 at 10:55 AM.
      06-04-2011, 10:38 AM   #32
Turkeybaster115
Banned

Drives: 335I

Quote:
Gosh. That's quite interesting. I'm sure you have a copy of a BMW document that backs up this wild assertion.You seem to have quite a bit of insight into the internal workings of BMW so put your money where your mouth is and post up that document.
I posted the info, a while ago, with VERY detailed articles that get into each specific test's procedures, so please
EDUCATE yourself guy:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538089
      06-04-2011, 12:11 PM   #33
cb1111

Quote:
I posted the info, a while ago, with VERY detailed articles that get into each specific test's procedures, so please
EDUCATE yourself guy:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538089
This is a prime example of why going on the internet to educate yourself is dangerous.

None of your links actually discuss BMW testing requirements or specs.

Your links come from simple internet searches (your search terms were still highlighted) and you jump to inaccurate conclusions.

Just because BMW oil meets some API specs does not mean that all API oils meet BMW specs. That is a dangerous and incorrect conclusion that you jumped to because you do not understand the subject matter.

Even if you discount technical discussions, BMW requires that you use LL-01 oils in our cars if you are in the US. There is no advantage of using a different oil but your warranty and your engine may go bye-bye.

ceb was right.
      06-04-2011, 12:23 PM   #34
cb1111

I'll even go one step further. It makes no difference if LL-01 oil is the best oil for your engine or if there could be better oils out there.

What is important is that BMW requires the use of LL-01 oil in the US and that a properly motivated dealership can determine the type of oil in your engine.

Don't believe it? Just ask the ex-GM of Rockville Audi who got canned when Sonic determined that he was using non-approved bulk oil and charging Audi for the approved stuff. The initial testing was done on oil samples and the final coffin nail came from an audit.
      06-04-2011, 01:37 PM   #35
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag

Drives: 1.9L of fury

Quote:
I

Don't believe it? Just ask the ex-GM of Rockville Audi who got canned when Sonic determined that he was using non-approved bulk oil and charging Audi for the approved stuff. The initial testing was done on oil samples and the final coffin nail came from an audit.

correct, regardless of how good an oil is, they can lab test what is in your engine and void your warranty.

Really, if any of you want to try out different oils, it would be a good idea to send a sample of whatever oil you try (after driving 5000 miles) to a testing lab like Blackstone to see how it's holding up.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/
mike-y is offline   United_States
      06-04-2011, 02:12 PM   #36
BuraQ
Colonel

Drives: 11" E92 335is

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [2.88]
I requested a kit
400+ launches, 3 Driveshafts, No DCT Slippage, Flash Only
BuraQ is offline   United_States
      06-04-2011, 02:24 PM   #37
Kolyan2k
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
See OP - just as I told you. No one has provided ANY objective, scientific LL-01 oil test data to show if any oil is better than another or that any boutique oil meets your BMW LL-01 warranty requirements.

Oil is a religion for many people who refuse to technically educate themselves on the subject matter. They spout all sorts of hype regarding oils but they have absolutely no objective, scientific LL-01 oil sequence test data to support their beliefs.

This is what I told you in the beginning and no matter how many personal attacks people make or how many technically baseless comments they make, the reality is no one but BMW has the objective, scientific test data to determine which oils are appropriate for your BMW engine because they do extensive and comprehensive testing of oils.

It's worth noting that despite requests by many interested observers, Royal Purple, Redline and Amsoil all REFUSE to submit their oils to BMW for LL-01 testing. They also REFUSE to submit their oils to VW/Audi, M-B, Porsche and other Euro car makers. Thus it is impossible to know if any of these oils are appropriate for use in a BMW or other Euro engines. Amsoil and Redline have absolutely no certification what so ever.

It matters not to me what oil you use in your engine but as my signature states, my goal is to help enthusiasts become technically literate on a subject so that they can make technically informed decisions and not be duped by ad hype and clueless fanbois who have nothing but their subjective opinion and insults to offer.

Cheers
just like Mobil1 and Castrol REFUSE to note that "Synthetic" is a marketing term and those oils are dino in reality.....while you pay premium price. ITS A SCAM

That said use German Castrol 0w30, and not overpriced dino oil from dealer. Its simply a scam in USA through loop holes that allow companies to advertise "Synthetic" on dino oils.

and no BMW did NOT test every oil out there to determ which works best with 335i motor......5w30 oil is just widely available, cheaper, and has been approved for most cars on the road today. You would have to be ignorant to believe that this is THE only oil that works and works the best.

Last edited by Kolyan2k; 06-04-2011 at 03:06 PM.
      06-04-2011, 02:42 PM   #38
BuraQ
Colonel

Drives: 11" E92 335is

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [2.88]
OMG He lives .... LMAO ! I was trying to figure where he was at for such a long time.

Edit: I will count how many times he says LL-01 from here on...
400+ launches, 3 Driveshafts, No DCT Slippage, Flash Only
BuraQ is offline   United_States
      06-04-2011, 02:42 PM   #39
Kolyan2k
Brigadier General

I have S2000 now. Honda makes its own motor oil and tranny fluid. The big BUT is that they dont make differential fluid.....guess what MOST dealers do.... you would think they want the best for your Honda....NO, they use whats available and cheap either GL-4 or some other SUV axle lube. The point is that no dealer is gonna spend extra money to get you better oil. LSD fluid must be GL-5 by the way....
      06-04-2011, 02:58 PM   #40
Kolyan2k
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
For the technically clueless... and you know who you are, you can use ANY BMW LL-01 approved oil of the proper viscosity for your U.S. operated non-M BMW gas engine.

No one is required to use Castrol oil. BMW has approved many brands of LL-01 oils.

See right on the official BMW U.S. website they list some of the brands of LL-01 approved oils - Castrol, Mobil, Pennzoil and Valvoline oils which are all available in the U.S. as are some Euro oils imported by companies like ECS Tuning. It's wise to educate yourself.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...ngineOils.aspx
a side from "BMW High Performance SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Oil" that LL-01 list actually lists all Group IV oils

and i dont know about now, but when i had m3, that 10w60 oil for M cars was not available at dealerships and they used 5w30 (of course.....10w60 had to be imported from Germany.....two word = cost savings)

Last edited by Kolyan2k; 06-04-2011 at 05:04 PM.
      06-04-2011, 04:41 PM   #41
Socom
Major General

Drives: 2010 335D

Quote:
As far as I know Mobil 1 is actually the crappiest oil there is. I read lots of post that Mobil 1 downgraded their synthetic oil from Class IV to Class III which is not really a fully synthetic any more. I read that Castrol and Royal Purple are still Class IV oils, AMSOIL being the best since its Class IV or even V

I used M1 alot, but probably will switch to Castrol...not that it really matters, but read lots of BS on Mobil1

EDIT: Mobil1 5w30 is Class III, 0w40 is Class IV ...... thats what pips say < not 100%,but confirmed this and its true
EDIT: Only German made Castrol is Class IV, others are also Class III. Redline oil is Class V
google visom and report back. Also read up on gr4 oils and how they compare to gr3+. Not all PAO is the same
      06-04-2011, 04:46 PM   #42
bumere90
Grozniy

Drives: Carless

Quote:
I have S2000 now. Honda makes its own motor oil and tranny fluid. The big BUT is that they dont make differential fluid.....guess what MOST dealers do.... you would think they want the best for your Honda....NO, they use whats available and cheap either GL-4 or some other SUV axle lube. The point is that no dealer is gonna spend extra money to get you better oil. LSD fluid must be GL-5 by the way....
are you sure?
because I remember buying and replacing diff fluid with genuine honda fluid.
I bought a squeaky honda cr-v and the owner sold it really cheap because he thought that diff was shot, but he was wrong lol
      06-04-2011, 04:50 PM   #43
Kolyan2k
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumere90 View Post
are you sure?
because I remember buying and replacing diff fluid with genuine honda fluid.
I bought a squeaky honda cr-v and the owner sold it really cheap because he thought that diff was shot, but he was wrong lol
yeah they do make fluid for CR-V and few other SUVs ONLY. its no good for S2000 (can and does cause major issues). In my case they used GM GL-4 oil which is also no good. I can understand when manual says something like "Recommended 5w30 motor oil", but with diff. it says use GL-5/6 ONLY. Moreover, when I called the dealer, fucking SA moron tried to tell me that GL4 and GL5 are just different viscosity numbers. I obviously dont know the real long-term effect of GL-4 on a differential, but I do know that chemicals used are different.

Last edited by Kolyan2k; 06-04-2011 at 05:07 PM.
      06-04-2011, 04:52 PM   #44
Kolyan2k
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom View Post
google visom and report back. Also read up on gr4 oils and how they compare to gr3+. Not all PAO is the same
I am done with googling. Will probably use Castrol 0w30 in my Honda from now. But it was interesting to find out all this info.