E90Post
 


Extreme Power House
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Has any1 used ROYAL PURPLE full syn oil?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-05-2011, 08:50 PM   #67
Chriztofor
27
Colonel
 
Chriztofor's Avatar
 
Drives: '06 325i Auto
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Chicago Burbs

Posts: 2,704
iTrader: (1)

One more thing I would like to add. If castrol, which looks on their label (5w-40) that it is made for all bmws and it looks like it is LL-01 certified because it has listed all sort of specs that are the exact same specs of Castrol's 0w-30 BUT they admit in their spec sheet that it does not meet LL-01 certification then why risk using royal purple or any other oil without that LL-01 certification?
__________________
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger

Last edited by Chriztofor; 06-07-2011 at 01:22 PM.
Chriztofor is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2011, 09:29 PM   #68
Brian_TII
2
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 06 e90 330i 6spd
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA

Posts: 206
iTrader: (0)

To me it comes down to the following:

1. I haven't seen any proof that boutique oils are actually better for your engine. If anything my Lexus leaked more oil on amsoil than it did when I switched to mobile 1. This isn't to say amsoil caused the leak.. But it did leak a lot less after switching. I never noticed my car run any different between oils either.

2. Approved oils won't hurt your car.

3. LL01 oils aren't expensive or over priced compared to boutique oils.

So given the above... I can't see any point to running a non approved oil. They cost more, they MIGHT (but probably not) even hurt your motor, and there really isn't any solid evidence that they have real advantages over an approved oil. I've run them all and simply can't say I see any difference other than cost.
Brian_TII is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      06-07-2011, 01:51 PM   #69
Chriztofor
27
Colonel
 
Chriztofor's Avatar
 
Drives: '06 325i Auto
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Chicago Burbs

Posts: 2,704
iTrader: (1)

By the way, here is my e-mail to Royal purple. If they respond, I will post it. I am trying to get some answers to this oil debate.

Hello,

I have a 2006 BMW 325i. As per the owner's manual, it requires LL-01 oil. There are two oils that carry this certification Castrol 0w-30 and Mobil 1 0w-40. Does your oil carry a LL-01 certification? If not why not? If you claim that Royal Purple exceeds manufacturer's specs. Can you be more specific.

For example, Castrol 0w-30 and Castrol 5w-40, does not meet API SN, does not meet SM, meets SL, SJ, ACEA A3, B3, and B4. Castrol 0w-30 is LL-01 approved and Castrol 5w-40 is not LL-01 approved. Therefore, I have to go with 0w-30 because BMW requires LL-01 oil.

Also, Castrol 10w-40: MEETS API SN, SM, SL, SJ, ACEA A3, B3, and B4 but it is not LL-01 approved. This oil meets two other criteria API SN and SM more than 0w-30 and 5w-40 and it is not LL01 approved. Since Castro's 10w-40 EXCEEDS 0w-30 but is NOT LL-01 certified I still have to use Castrol 0w-30 as per BMW.

With that in mind, here is my question. Why should I use royal purple over Castrol 0w-30 and/or Mobil 1 0w-40 when they are both LL-01 (Longlife) approved?

Thank you!

Your future customer,
Chris
__________________
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Chriztofor is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      06-07-2011, 06:33 PM   #70
ceb
19
NHTSA Nazi
 
Drives: 335ix
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: MD

Posts: 1,979
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriztofor View Post
By the way, here is my e-mail to Royal purple. If they respond, I will post it. I am trying to get some answers to this oil debate.

Hello,

I have a 2006 BMW 325i. As per the owner's manual, it requires LL-01 oil. There are two oils that carry this certification Castrol 0w-30 and Mobil 1 0w-40. Does your oil carry a LL-01 certification? If not why not? If you claim that Royal Purple exceeds manufacturer's specs. Can you be more specific.

For example, Castrol 0w-30 and Castrol 5w-40, does not meet API SN, does not meet SM, meets SL, SJ, ACEA A3, B3, and B4. Castrol 0w-30 is LL-01 approved and Castrol 5w-40 is not LL-01 approved. Therefore, I have to go with 0w-30 because BMW requires LL-01 oil.

Also, Castrol 10w-40: MEETS API SN, SM, SL, SJ, ACEA A3, B3, and B4 but it is not LL-01 approved. This oil meets two other criteria API SN and SM more than 0w-30 and 5w-40 and it is not LL01 approved. Since Castro's 10w-40 EXCEEDS 0w-30 but is NOT LL-01 certified I still have to use Castrol 0w-30 as per BMW.

With that in mind, here is my question. Why should I use royal purple over Castrol 0w-30 and/or Mobil 1 0w-40 when they are both LL-01 (Longlife) approved?

Thank you!

Your future customer,
Chris
IF you get a reply it'll be a wishy-washy "our oil exceeds..." They'll also mis-interpret the Magnusson Moss act and say that a dealer needs to prove that the aftermarket product caused the issue. This is a blatantly false statement and both amSOIL AND Royal Poopie continue to spread that BS.

When it comes to warranty requirements a company is free to say "you need to do xyz to keep your warranty intact" as long as they give you a few options (in this case, use any of the multitudes of LL-01 oils) In case of a lubrication issue, they can correctly say "prove to us that you've used LL-01 oil." They do NOT have to prove that the oil you used caused the problem, they merely need to show that you did not follow their maintenance instructions.
ceb is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      06-07-2011, 07:20 PM   #71
Chriztofor
27
Colonel
 
Chriztofor's Avatar
 
Drives: '06 325i Auto
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Chicago Burbs

Posts: 2,704
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriztofor View Post
By the way, here is my e-mail to Royal purple. If they respond, I will post it. I am trying to get some answers to this oil debate.

Hello,

I have a 2006 BMW 325i. As per the owner's manual, it requires LL-01 oil. There are two oils that carry this certification Castrol 0w-30 and Mobil 1 0w-40. Does your oil carry a LL-01 certification? If not why not? If you claim that Royal Purple exceeds manufacturer's specs. Can you be more specific.

For example, Castrol 0w-30 and Castrol 5w-40, does not meet API SN, does not meet SM, meets SL, SJ, ACEA A3, B3, and B4. Castrol 0w-30 is LL-01 approved and Castrol 5w-40 is not LL-01 approved. Therefore, I have to go with 0w-30 because BMW requires LL-01 oil.

Also, Castrol 10w-40: MEETS API SN, SM, SL, SJ, ACEA A3, B3, and B4 but it is not LL-01 approved. This oil meets two other criteria API SN and SM more than 0w-30 and 5w-40 and it is not LL01 approved. Since Castro's 10w-40 EXCEEDS 0w-30 but is NOT LL-01 certified I still have to use Castrol 0w-30 as per BMW.

With that in mind, here is my question. Why should I use royal purple over Castrol 0w-30 and/or Mobil 1 0w-40 when they are both LL-01 (Longlife) approved?

Thank you!

Your future customer,
Chris

As promised here is their response:

Good Afternoon Chris,

Royal Purple oils use a proprietary chemistry that provides exceptional film strength to our oils and also allows extended use, like the oils spec’d for many European cars. However, we do not license OEM oil specs, or pay for the privilege to put OEM numbers on our bottles. Unfortunately, the automotive lubricant is becoming fragmented, especially with respect to European vs. US/Japanese automobiles. Typically, the US and S.E. Asian manufacturers specify adherence to the oil performance specifications of independent organizations like API and ILSAC. European automakers commonly have their own specs. While they do help ensure quality oils, these OEM oil licenses also generate revenue for the OEM, and they threaten warranty compliance issues to persuade customers to buy oil at the dealership. Because of these issues it is becoming extremely difficult, if not impossible for a single lubricant to carry all available specs and licenses, even though it may be perfectly functionally appropriate. And different viscosities may not even be eligible for certain licenses or specs.


With all of that said, Royal Purple is a performance oil company. We manufacturer our lubricants to be the best available with the only limitation being chemistry restrictions imposed by whatever API and ILSAC license the oil holds. If you want to run an oil that just meets the minimum qualifications of what is recommended for your vehicle, the Castrol and Mobil 1 products are fine choices. If you want the best fluids for performance and protection, Royal Purple oils are a great choice. RP SAE 5W-30 (part #01530, quart bottle) would be an excellent oil for the engine in your 325i. When you are ready to switch the transmission fluid and differential oil, let us know.


WOW, I highlighted what I thought was relevant.

1)Typically, the US and S.E. Asian manufacturers specify adherence to the oil performance specifications of independent organizations like API and ILSAC. No crap, how else are we going to see if your oil passes muster?!

2)While they do help ensure quality oils, these OEM oil licenses also generate revenue for the OEM. That's the point, we want to ensure oil quality! Also, what is wrong with making revenue? Is Royal Purple a non-profit organization?!

3)And different viscosities may not even be eligible for certain licenses or specs. No kidding, royal purple might fall into that category.

4) with the only limitation being chemistry restrictions.... Uh, that doesn't sound like a minor point!!!


What I get from Royal purple is that they don't want to be tested and to just trust them. I am glad I did this, I am staying away from that oil.
__________________
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Chriztofor is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      06-07-2011, 10:46 PM   #72
ceb
19
NHTSA Nazi
 
Drives: 335ix
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: MD

Posts: 1,979
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriztofor View Post
Good Afternoon Chris,

Royal Purple oils use a proprietary chemistry that provides exceptional film strength to our oils and also allows extended use, like the oils spec’d for many European cars. However, we do not license OEM oil specs, or pay for the privilege to put OEM numbers on our bottles. Unfortunately, the automotive lubricant is becoming fragmented, especially with respect to European vs. US/Japanese automobiles. Typically, the US and S.E. Asian manufacturers specify adherence to the oil performance specifications of independent organizations like API and ILSAC. European automakers commonly have their own specs. While they do help ensure quality oils, these OEM oil licenses also generate revenue for the OEM, and they threaten warranty compliance issues to persuade customers to buy oil at the dealership. Because of these issues it is becoming extremely difficult, if not impossible for a single lubricant to carry all available specs and licenses, even though it may be perfectly functionally appropriate. And different viscosities may not even be eligible for certain licenses or specs.


With all of that said, Royal Purple is a performance oil company. We manufacturer our lubricants to be the best available with the only limitation being chemistry restrictions imposed by whatever API and ILSAC license the oil holds. If you want to run an oil that just meets the minimum qualifications of what is recommended for your vehicle, the Castrol and Mobil 1 products are fine choices. If you want the best fluids for performance and protection, Royal Purple oils are a great choice. RP SAE 5W-30 (part #01530, quart bottle) would be an excellent oil for the engine in your 325i. When you are ready to switch the transmission fluid and differential oil, let us know.


WOW, I highlighted what I thought was relevant.

1)Typically, the US and S.E. Asian manufacturers specify adherence to the oil performance specifications of independent organizations like API and ILSAC. No crap, how else are we going to see if your oil passes muster?!

2)While they do help ensure quality oils, these OEM oil licenses also generate revenue for the OEM. That's the point, we want to ensure oil quality! Also, what is wrong with making revenue? Is Royal Purple a non-profit organization?!

3)And different viscosities may not even be eligible for certain licenses or specs. No kidding, royal purple might fall into that category.

4) with the only limitation being chemistry restrictions.... Uh, that doesn't sound like a minor point!!!


What I get from Royal purple is that they don't want to be tested and to just trust them. I am glad I did this, I am staying away from that oil.
I'm actually quite impressed with their response. As opposed to amSOIL that says "our oil exceeds all specs," these guys at least come out and say "we have no clue if it meets any specs but it is good oil."

But at least we now have proof straight from the horse's mouth that Royal Purple can cause warranty woes and shouldn't be used in our cars (at least not during the warranty period.)
ceb is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2011, 07:12 AM   #73
Chriztofor
27
Colonel
 
Chriztofor's Avatar
 
Drives: '06 325i Auto
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Chicago Burbs

Posts: 2,704
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb View Post
But at least we now have proof straight from the horse's mouth that Royal Purple can cause warranty woes and shouldn't be used in our cars (at least not during the warranty period.)
Why would you use it even after the warranty expires? After your warranty expires you would want to be even more careful about using the correct parts/materials/fluids since the costs for any breakdown will come out of YOUR pocket. But hey, if you are a gambling man, go for it!
__________________
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Chriztofor is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2011, 08:12 AM   #74
Socom
53
BMWCCA since '03
 
Drives: 2015 435i
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Atl.

Posts: 5,300
iTrader: (0)

I think they were being a little fast with the facts being that Euro OEM's rely on the ACEA & that the asian and domestics have their own OEM approvals

The "OEMS just want to make money off licensing." argument is crap because there are a bunch of different companies in Europe selling oil with the OEM approvals. RP is like Amsoil where they sell PAO / highly additized oil which will eventually harm newer emissions systems. Once US gasoline goes low sulfur companies like RP will relegated to racing oils only.

Last edited by Socom; 06-08-2011 at 08:23 AM.
Socom is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2011, 06:38 PM   #75
ceb
19
NHTSA Nazi
 
Drives: 335ix
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: MD

Posts: 1,979
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriztofor View Post
Why would you use it even after the warranty expires? After your warranty expires you would want to be even more careful about using the correct parts/materials/fluids since the costs for any breakdown will come out of YOUR pocket. But hey, if you are a gambling man, go for it!
Absolutely correct. After the warranty expires people can do as they like. What I know is that cars in Europe regularly go well over 200k miles using Oe approved oil at 30k km OCIs.

Me? I'm sticking to LL-01 oil.
ceb is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      06-11-2011, 12:50 AM   #76
roundle
7
EXPAT
 
Drives: 2011 328iT (US-Spec, 6MT, ZSP)
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Netherlands

Posts: 700
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb View Post
Absolutely correct. After the warranty expires people can do as they like. What I know is that cars in Europe regularly go well over 200k miles using Oe approved oil at 30k km OCIs.

Me? I'm sticking to LL-01 oil.
This is true. However, keep in mind that the European Bimmers enjoy low sulfur fuel as well as "real" synthetic oil (Group IV v. Group III). Aside from the Castrol 0W30, I'm not sure if there's another true Group IV in the USA that's got the LL01 stamp.
roundle is offline   Netherlands
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:52 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST