E90Post
 


MINHS Auto Care Center
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 335i fast then is350??



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-02-2007, 08:29 AM   #23
Maestro
Captain
 
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Philadelphia

Posts: 864
iTrader: (0)

I compared the two cars when I was buying the 335i and I have to agree with a number of people here about how IS350 handles. The car does give you a rush when you hit the gas off the line, it does have lots of power and seems to get it to the wheel.

The most noticeable different between the 335 and 350 is the fact when the turbo kick in it throws you back into the seat, where as the 350 is more of a constant acceleration, it does not have the throw back feeling. The 335i is like driving a 440 roadrunner with the electric hood scoop, you hit the button on the dash, the scoop pops up and you are thrown back in to the seat as you accelerate down the road.

The other issue with the IS350, is the fact it has all the power and a spongy handling. That alone will scare the hell out of you. When driving the car I always felt I had no idea if the car was on the edge of its performance. It felt like it was about to break free.

The best part was the sales guy trying to tell me how well you can feel the road through the car and how much better it was then other Lexus. I never drove other Lexus so I would not have any idea.

I almost bought the IS350, since I drove it after driving a 330i, prior to the 335i coming out. I am glad I waited and drove the 335i.
Maestro is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2007, 08:47 AM   #24
turbocoins
Captain
 
turbocoins's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 Z06, '07 MKZ
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Warm Climate

Posts: 751
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
I compared the two cars when I was buying the 335i and I have to agree with a number of people here about how IS350 handles. The car does give you a rush when you hit the gas off the line, it does have lots of power and seems to get it to the wheel.

The most noticeable different between the 335 and 350 is the fact when the turbo kick in it throws you back into the seat, where as the 350 is more of a constant acceleration, it does not have the throw back feeling. The 335i is like driving a 440 roadrunner with the electric hood scoop, you hit the button on the dash, the scoop pops up and you are thrown back in to the seat as you accelerate down the road.

The other issue with the IS350, is the fact it has all the power and a spongy handling. That alone will scare the hell out of you. When driving the car I always felt I had no idea if the car was on the edge of its performance. It felt like it was about to break free.

The best part was the sales guy trying to tell me how well you can feel the road through the car and how much better it was then other Lexus. I never drove other Lexus so I would not have any idea.

I almost bought the IS350, since I drove it after driving a 330i, prior to the 335i coming out. I am glad I waited and drove the 335i.
Well stated!
turbocoins is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2007, 10:16 AM   #25
335lvr
Major
 
335lvr's Avatar
 
Drives: E92
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: California

Posts: 1,441
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
I compared the two cars when I was buying the 335i and I have to agree with a number of people here about how IS350 handles. The car does give you a rush when you hit the gas off the line, it does have lots of power and seems to get it to the wheel.

The most noticeable different between the 335 and 350 is the fact when the turbo kick in it throws you back into the seat, where as the 350 is more of a constant acceleration, it does not have the throw back feeling. The 335i is like driving a 440 roadrunner with the electric hood scoop, you hit the button on the dash, the scoop pops up and you are thrown back in to the seat as you accelerate down the road.

The other issue with the IS350, is the fact it has all the power and a spongy handling. That alone will scare the hell out of you. When driving the car I always felt I had no idea if the car was on the edge of its performance. It felt like it was about to break free.

The best part was the sales guy trying to tell me how well you can feel the road through the car and how much better it was then other Lexus. I never drove other Lexus so I would not have any idea.

I almost bought the IS350, since I drove it after driving a 330i, prior to the 335i coming out. I am glad I waited and drove the 335i.
+2. The IS350 was my second choice, and I thoroughly test drove the IS. I would say the IS is a smidge slower, making it a driver's race. However, the torque of the 335 is monstrous! If Lexus built an IS coupe in a 6-speed, I could take the extra 6k saved over the BMW and setup the suspension properly. Take heed BMW, Lexus is closing the gap.
__________________
"I'm not sure what the price difference is, but the BMW feels $15,000 better." -Edmunds, 2007
335lvr is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2007, 07:37 PM   #26
RRGOO7
Colonel
 
RRGOO7's Avatar
 
Drives: GTR
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Miami FL

Posts: 2,445
iTrader: (13)

Ive dusted IS350's from a roll and at the Drag Strip MANY MANY MANY MANY times
RRGOO7 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2007, 07:47 PM   #27
luckyguyinla
Private
 
Drives: E90 335I SEDAN
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la ca

Posts: 53
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Burger View Post
I have one of the 270 HP RAV4s, not a bad car. Runs in the 14.90 range.

The IS350 is quick, average of around 13.7 stock, but easily .3ths off a 335i stock to stock, and a lot more when you start upgrading the 335.

I thought about one before the 335 but you can't get a basic model, so the lowest price IS350 is 41k, my 335 auto was 39k. No comparo.
My 335i sedan 07 cost 37800 with tax. and plus it is basic model with mt 6spd. therefore, you are wrong
luckyguyinla is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2007, 08:18 PM   #28
DrewKo
Lieutenant Colonel
 
DrewKo's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i Montego Blue Saddle Brown
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA

Posts: 1,568
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
I tested the 350 and there was no comparison in road feedback. Also, 335i felt much faster to me. I don't trust any of those drag time results. I remember edmunds got a 5.6 0-60 on that car and 13.9 1/4 time. (see the photo/video section at http://www.edmunds.com/new/2007/lexu...landing.html#).
Those times were confirmed by my personal experience. There is no chance that car is as fast as a 335i, not even close. But the kicker is that vision out the rear of the IS350 from the driver seat sucks ass, especially compared to the 335i.
DrewKo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2007, 09:25 PM   #29
pincud
Private
 
Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Phoenix

Posts: 60
iTrader: (0)

IS350

Eh, how many IS 350s are in the shop because their high pressure fuel pumps went limp?

How many IS 350s were sold with no windshield fluid so the sensors went wild after two weeks of owning the car?

How many IS 350s warned about needing a quart of oil, when they did not?

How many IS 350s overheated when tested by journalists, or Edmunds, and limped out of the course?

Ok, ok... I will quietly let myself out now... Sheesh...
pincud is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2007, 09:39 PM   #30
DrewKo
Lieutenant Colonel
 
DrewKo's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i Montego Blue Saddle Brown
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA

Posts: 1,568
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pincud View Post
Eh, how many IS 350s are in the shop because their high pressure fuel pumps went limp?

How many IS 350s were sold with no windshield fluid so the sensors went wild after two weeks of owning the car?

How many IS 350s warned about needing a quart of oil, when they did not?

How many IS 350s overheated when tested by journalists, or Edmunds, and limped out of the course?

Ok, ok... I will quietly let myself out now... Sheesh...
DrewKo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2007, 11:35 PM   #31
TinkySD
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: Audi TT 2.0T Stage1
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego

Posts: 40
iTrader: (0)

The most important difference is yet to be mentioned.... the IS350 comes stock with an LSD. THat's going to let it maximize what it can do with it's motor.
TinkySD is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2007, 11:50 PM   #32
Terry335
Banned
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Socal

Posts: 2,587
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyguyinla View Post
My 335i sedan 07 cost 37800 with tax. and plus it is basic model with mt 6spd. therefore, you are wrong
What are you talking about?
Terry335 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2007, 12:32 AM   #33
nico335
Guest
 
Drives:

Posts: n/a
toyota
 
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2007, 02:21 AM   #34
fusionchicken
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: LS3 Z51 C6
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: socal

Posts: 341
iTrader: (0)

can't beat toyota's reliability...but i'd take a 335i hands down.

the LSD sure is great for the is350, but everything else regarding to handling isn't

there are a few supercharged is350's out there, but after watching some of their videos i'm not impressed.
fusionchicken is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2007, 02:39 AM   #35
renasis
Captain
 
renasis's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 E92 335I
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Canada

Posts: 664
iTrader: (0)

I actually was ganna go with a IS350, howeven the handling just...
__________________
renasis is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2007, 09:31 AM   #36
JOYRIIDE1113
Pirate
 
JOYRIIDE1113's Avatar
 
Drives: Detailing Shark
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Miami-Kendall

Posts: 1,395
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkySD View Post
The most important difference is yet to be mentioned.... the IS350 comes stock with an LSD. THat's going to let it maximize what it can do with it's motor.

Are you sure. I frequent Clublexus.com and recently read a thread where someone asked the question of it, only to be told it did NOT.

I'll be back in a few with a sure answer.

http://sr1.clublexus.com/forums/show...p+Differential
JOYRIIDE1113 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2007, 12:03 PM   #37
ezatnova
Colonel
 
ezatnova's Avatar
 
Drives: C63 AMG
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: West Chester, PA

Posts: 2,188
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaodima View Post
i saw a video from youtube that about stock is350 0-60mph just 4.3s....
that is fast too much then stock 335i.. wut do u think guys?
Ow. My head.
ezatnova is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2007, 02:00 PM   #38
Noob
Private First Class
 
Drives: 335 e90
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mississauga

Posts: 141
iTrader: (0)

is350 is faster in a straight line. 335 is a better car overall. Better handling and an ultimate driving machine.
Noob is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2007, 02:46 PM   #39
JOYRIIDE1113
Pirate
 
JOYRIIDE1113's Avatar
 
Drives: Detailing Shark
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Miami-Kendall

Posts: 1,395
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob View Post
is350 is faster in a straight line. 335 is a better car overall. Better handling and an ultimate driving machine.
I'm sorry. I'm really trying not to sound biased, but it is not... Your argument only applies the the previous 330i, but not the 335i. Not to worry, same way the IS350 reigned king of speed for a bit, and now the 335i is on top, 2-3 years from now, Infiniti will do the same, and Lexus will out do them...

Good for us, as our entry level cars will just get faster and faster. And once you can't get even faster, our cars will them be racing to be the first to take the turns quickest, ect.
JOYRIIDE1113 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2007, 03:11 PM   #40
coaster
Private First Class
 
coaster's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 123
iTrader: (0)

For those of you considering the IS350, wait, don't do it. In a few months you can go test the higher performing ISF (more than 400 ponies). Pricing looks like coming somewhere btween 335i and the new M3 (~$50K). Totaly different suspension. Won't beat the M3 in performance but will probably beat the 335.
coaster is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2007, 03:34 PM   #41
JOYRIIDE1113
Pirate
 
JOYRIIDE1113's Avatar
 
Drives: Detailing Shark
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Miami-Kendall

Posts: 1,395
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaster View Post
For those of you considering the IS350, wait, don't do it. In a few months you can go test the higher performing ISF (more than 400 ponies). Pricing looks like coming somewhere btween 335i and the new M3 (~$50K). Totaly different suspension. Won't beat the M3 in performance but will probably beat the 335.
Bump, except for the "not beating the M3 in performance"....We don't know that yet.
JOYRIIDE1113 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2007, 05:35 PM   #42
turbocoins
Captain
 
turbocoins's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 Z06, '07 MKZ
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Warm Climate

Posts: 751
iTrader: (0)

IS 350 = ventilated seats. Great option. Too bad it isn't available on the 335 i. Other than the performance of the seats, I think that the 335 i beats it.
turbocoins is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2007, 08:15 PM   #43
ducati955
Lieutenant Colonel
 
ducati955's Avatar
 
Drives: lifted tacoma on 38's & ducati
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: long island ny

Posts: 1,718
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [5.00]
i don't think the new v8 lexus will take a proceded 335i
__________________
car totaled out !!AW335i, oem aero lip, m3 csl rims, oem m3 sides, vorst csl carbon trunk, tinted, lowered on H&R sport, AR DP's, Bastauck dual exhaust, BMS intake, etc

NEW RIDE white GTR!
ducati955 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2007, 08:22 PM   #44
DrewKo
Lieutenant Colonel
 
DrewKo's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i Montego Blue Saddle Brown
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA

Posts: 1,568
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 Z/28 LT1 View Post
A buddy of mine in town has a girlfriend with a new IS350 he drives occasionally. With a couple of races from a roll we were basically dead even every time. I'd say from my experience the cars are equally matched in a straight line.

Now, once you get to go around a corner, things would change a bit...
Then you definitely need to learn how to drive because there is no chance the 350 can keep up in a straight line with a 335i.
DrewKo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:13 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST