E90Post

Lux Angel Eyes

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > cleaning products...

03-31-2007, 06:39 AM   #1
ZiM
First Lieutenant

Drives: E90 330d

Question cleaning products...

how do

i notice a lot of people on here talk about Zymol stuff... this is summat i've never really heard of in the past the talk was always about Meguiars and Auto Glym

currently i wash the car with AG shampoo, (then i do have, but yet to use, the AG polish and liquid wax stuff), then i dry with the meguairs water magnet cloth and use the meguiars window cleaner stuff and its all spot on...

is it worth switching to this Zymol stuff?
ZiM is offline   United Kingdom
      03-31-2007, 12:14 PM   #2
NFS
Major General

Drives: 335i m-sport LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiM View Post
how do

i notice a lot of people on here talk about Zymol stuff... this is summat i've never really heard of in the past the talk was always about Meguiars and Auto Glym

currently i wash the car with AG shampoo, (then i do have, but yet to use, the AG polish and liquid wax stuff), then i dry with the meguairs water magnet cloth and use the meguiars window cleaner stuff and its all spot on...

I'm pretty lazy - at the moment I get someone to wash my car for me then use this stuff afterwards:

http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/S...?ProductId=263
      03-31-2007, 01:00 PM   #3
cntlaw
Major General

Drives: 330i E90 C55 AMG

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiM View Post
how do

For the weekly wash and dry, I also use the Meguairs Water Magnet cloth, it is an excellent garget for a nice and quick dry of a complete car. I am also happy with Meguiars shampoo.

I am seeing wash & dry, a preparation process before 'waxing'. On the other hand, if the car is properly 'waxed'(protected), the wash and dry process will be less painful and give more effective result.

However, once it comes to the 'waxing' stage, each brand provides its own defined 'process', some are straight forward, easy application and some require more steps or longer setting time. But all brands basically do the same things: scratches/spiderweb removal, enhance paint's gloss and shine and finally, protection of the paint.

I would avoid to switch brands too quickly until I am so sure that my specific requirement is not met by the current products. About Zymol, it was years ago I only heard that their products are very expensive; and then technology has changed now, the waxes I use now e.g. Mothers are much better than some of those I had tried years ago.

You might like to join a few wax forums to find out more.
The ones I came across are:-

http://www.waxforum.com/

http://www.autogeek.net/

http://www.autopia.org/

Just to see which one you like.

t
BMW 2006 330i E90 Jet Black/Black Leathers/Aluminium, Steptronic Active Steering; MTech Aero Kit Carbon Fibre Splitters/Diffuser. Bilstein PSS9 Coilover, Rays VOLK Racing RE30 Formula Limited Edition 18" Pirelli Rosso; Project Mu 355mm Forged 4pot Caliper. HID:Osram D1S 6000K, PIAA 6500K White Ring, Philips Diamond Vision HB4 5000K, PIAA H490/H491 Super Bright 6500K LED Interior Lights. Chrome S.Wheel Cover, Rear Windows Sunshades.
cntlaw is offline   Hong Kong
      03-31-2007, 03:14 PM   #4
Z4 Beemer
Colonel

Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [0.00]
Send a message via MSN to Z4 Beemer
I use Swissol car bath and wax, but haven't waxed the E92 yet. For a couple of months I've actually been drying the car after washing it, with a couple of cheap bath towels that I bought. I think drying that way isn't as harsh on the wax as a chamois leather is.
      04-01-2007, 04:22 AM   #5
ZiM
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4 Beemer View Post
I use Swissol car bath and wax, but haven't waxed the E92 yet. For a couple of months I've actually been drying the car after washing it, with a couple of cheap bath towels that I bought. I think drying that way isn't as harsh on the wax as a chamois leather is.
you should try a meguiars water magnet... soft as a nice towell but absorbant as a sponge!
      04-01-2007, 05:49 AM   #6
NathanJT
Techie Geek

Drives: 330d M Sport Manual

Send a message via MSN to NathanJT
Z4, drying with bath towels is the easiest way of putting lots of lovely swirl marks in your paintwork! :S

As for Zymol, yes there is a difference, not only in the resultant shine and depth of finish but also in the way the car shrugs off dirt/water. And to be honest it doesn't have to be THAT expensive when you consider a tub of Zymol lasts for several (4-5) years!

I cleaned my car yesterday as it was caked in mud but it only took 30 mins from wet to completely dry and it still looks like I've just done a 5 hour Zymol session on it!

And really that's the thing to consider with Zymol, the results require a LOT of work initially, but they last! Oh and be prepared for a lot of strange looks from your neighbours when you're stood there for hours rubbing the car with what looks like a bit of play-dough!

I don't have any pics of my e90 post Zymol but I've attached a couple of my old Z4 after the initial treatment.

[edit] Ok I'm at work (yes I know it's Sunday) and I'm bored so I've added a pic of my car. Sorry it's only a grainy camera phone pic, but you get the jist I hope![/edit]
Attached Images

Last edited by NathanJT; 04-01-2007 at 09:14 AM.
NathanJT is offline   England
      04-01-2007, 12:28 PM   #7
mjh93sa
Major General

Drives: M135i

Garage List
Another happy Zymol user here. It does take time to put on initially as the polishing is done as a seperate process. But the wax isn't difficult to apply and buff up easily with a clean microfibre cloth. I've even had compliments on how nice the exterior of the car was smelling whilst waxing .

Washing afterwards is noticably easier as the dirt just slides off. It can be a bit of a pain as the beading properties mean that you have to work quickly on a good day before the car dries out naturally.

Yes it's expensive, but as Nathan says, even with frequent use a tub will last you years.

A few shots:
Attached Images

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman
Now: M135i with lots of toys
mjh93sa is offline   England
      04-01-2007, 12:40 PM   #8
NathanJT
Techie Geek

mjh93sa,

Do you put the Zymol on using your hands or the applicators?
      04-01-2007, 01:04 PM   #9
mjh93sa
Major General

Garage List
I've been using one of the applicators of late as it seems to give a more even coverage than by hand. It just makes the job a bit cleaner and the microfibre cloth doesn't get encrusted in wax.

I've also found that the cleanliness of your microfibre cloth makes a big difference to how easy it is to buff up. The newer the cloth the easier it is.

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman
      04-01-2007, 01:11 PM   #10
Raggie
Private First Class

Drives: E93 325I M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh93sa View Post
I've also found that the cleanliness of your microfibre cloth makes a big difference to how easy it is to buff up. The newer the cloth the easier it is.
I have noted this also.. I've been buying the micofibre cloths @ costco.. (very cheap and great quality) they get used once on the car then are washed and passed to the Mrs for use arorund the house.

but I buck the trend here and am a devoted Meguiar's fan..

04-01-2007, 04:45 PM   #11
ZiM
First Lieutenant

i'm a wee bit confused...

is the zymol product you're on about a megiars style clay block that works in a polish style fasion to give the car a glass finish, or a wax product that protects the car?

if so in relation to my initial question is it a lot better than the meguiars/AG products? or is it just that the effect lasts longer?
      04-01-2007, 06:04 PM   #12
NathanJT
Techie Geek

ZiM,

Sorry, Zymol is the complete works. From Lehm Klay (the cleaner bar) through to £7000 Royale "Estate Glaze".

Zymol being the manufacturer and not a single product. In my experience Zymol does give considerably better results. Some will argue differently I'm sure but I prefer the "wet" look that Zymol Waxes leave as opposed to the synthetic products. Some might even suggest that a combination of the 2 is the best all round method to a good shine!

You'd be crazy to do so, but Zymol is completely edible and needs to be kept in the fridge once opened!

Check out: http://www.cleanandshiny.co.uk/SubGr...1&GroupID=1587

Last edited by NathanJT; 04-01-2007 at 06:23 PM.
NathanJT is offline   England
      04-01-2007, 06:36 PM   #13
mjh93sa
Major General

Garage List
Zymol is a complete range of car cleaning products, from wool dusters throuh clay bars to a 7000 wax and everything in between. Take a look at John Drake's website which describes the various stages that you need to go through. I have also shopped through vertar in the past who do a full range of zymol and all sorts of other things.

The short version:
  1. Wash with "Clear" a blend of tallow coconut oil and lemon extratcts. This is formulated specifically to lift dirt without removing any wax that is on the car.
  2. Clay with the Zymol clar bar using the zymol lube spray
  3. Rinse and dry
  4. Polish with "HD-Cleanse" a light polish with the look and smell of chocolate sauce . This is basically a mild abrasive to remove any remaining deposits on the paint.
  5. Wax with the wax of your choice from the range

I've never clayed the car as this seems a bit risky and I get good enough results from giving it a HD-Cleanse about once a year. The first time I did the car at only a few days old I was amazed how much smoother it made the finish.

The waxes are high percentage carbnuba waxes with other plant oils blended in. Carnuba wax is the strongest known natural wax and so makes a good wax for floors and cars.

I also use the "Treat" leather conditioner which contains beef collagen, banana lemon seed and coconut oil. It gives the leather a nice dark appearance and a slightly slicker surface.

The wheel cleaner is as useless as all the others on the market and the tyre dressing is great but you need to use loads, so I stick with the old Autoglym tyre and bumper care. The glass cleaner works, provided that you go over with a clean cloth afterwards to remove the smear marks, but I've yet to find anything better.

I've never tried Maguiars so can't comment on it's longevity or use in comparison to Zymol.

If anyone want to try some I'll bring it to the next meet

Nathan got there 1st

04-02-2007, 01:17 AM   #14
- Paul -
Major General

Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [5.00]
2005 645  [4.50]
Harly wax
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27002
      04-02-2007, 03:24 AM   #15
silverbmwz3
Colonel

Drives: E90 335d wheelbarrow

Garage List
So is it worth doing this shortly after taking delivery?

Do people apply with machines or hand usually?

I'm looking for a dummies guide as to exactly what I should do/get to keep my car clean when it arrives!
      04-02-2007, 03:33 AM   #16
silverbmwz3
Colonel

Garage List
And...is a jet wash (one of those Karcher things) a very bad idea in lieu of a normal hose ?
      04-02-2007, 03:37 AM   #17
- Paul -
Major General

Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [5.00]
2005 645  [4.50]
You taken a look here silver?

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9145
      04-02-2007, 03:53 AM   #18
jbake
OG

Drives: 335i

Garage List
2007 335I  [0.00]
this thread made me go out and by some zymol. stuff smells awesome and made the car look great!
      04-02-2007, 04:33 AM   #19
NathanJT
Techie Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbmwz3 View Post
So is it worth doing this shortly after taking delivery?

Do people apply with machines or hand usually?

I'm looking for a dummies guide as to exactly what I should do/get to keep my car clean when it arrives!
I'd say yes, it's definately worth doing just after delivery. In fact some people specifically request that the dealer DOESN'T detail the car before delivery. Would you trust your brand new £30-40k car to be cleaned by their spotty youth on work experience? No, didn't think so!

Also, the whole point of a product like Zymol is that you should get the paint surface as clean and smooth as possible BEFORE applying the sealant. Therefore clay or HD-Cleanse is a good start to cleaning all the post production crap off your car.

The other thing is that Carnauba wax dries harder than concrete so it's good at protecting the paint from day 1.

Personally I apply it by hand. I've used the applicators but because Zymol is an enzyme (and therefore not actually a wax until it reacts with air and a little heat) it works very well with the warmth of your hands.

Pressure washers... I admit I do use one, but not close up (never closer than 3 feet) and really only to mist the car before and after a good wash! The best way to finish off the wash/rinse is to just use the open end of a hose to stream the water off.

Hope this helps?

(Oh and before anyone thinks it, I'm not a complete raving clean-a-holic!)
      04-02-2007, 06:01 AM   #20
skansa
Second Lieutenant

Drives: Datsun Sunny

god damn thats a whole lot of loving. man in Brent Cross cleans mine for a fiver.
      04-02-2007, 06:02 AM   #21
mjh93sa
Major General

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanJT View Post
I'm not a complete raving clean-a-holic!)
I am.... at least for the first couple of months. Then it wears off

04-02-2007, 06:19 AM   #22
silverbmwz3
Colonel

Garage List
With your hands as-in bare hands?

So what do I need to buy from Zymol?

1stnewcar...I'll take a look but it seems very american-focussed from what I've read so far (Products-wise)