E90Post

GT Haus

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Upgraded Speakers crackling/popping?

06-06-2011, 04:01 AM   #1
zaheer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: E93 335i

Upgraded Speakers crackling/popping?

Hey guys,

Thanks for the help on my previous posts, so I made the first step in upgrading the base audio system in my e93 this weekend. I replaced all the speakers to the bmw individual audio mid ranges and tweeters and the sound difference alone is amazing.

However every minute or so I keep hearing a cracking noise or popping sound from them when listening to music. I still have not installed an amp to power these which I will be doing so this week so all the power is coming from the head unit. Is the lack of power the reason why im experiencing this problem?

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks
      06-06-2011, 08:16 AM   #2
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep

Drives: 1988 E30 M3 Evo II

Garage List
did you have the base sound system?
not sure about the resistance of the speakers
but the speakers you installed might be 2ohm and the speakers you took out were 4ohm
that basically means you are trying to pull twice the power from the amp/headunit
not good

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 09:08 AM   #3
zaheer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Hey, yes had the base system, the speaker I have installed are definitely 4 ohm aswel as the tweeters. are the base audio speakers also 4 ohm? so I just want to know an amp will sort this out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
did you have the base sound system?
not sure about the resistance of the speakers
but the speakers you installed might be 2ohm and the speakers you took out were 4ohm
that basically means you are trying to pull twice the power from the amp/headunit
not good
      06-06-2011, 10:29 AM   #4
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: '08 335i

You should be fine, impedance wise. If the crackling only happens when you turn it up, then it is probably just the HU not being able to keep up with the new speakers. Or, you could have a defective or blown midrange. If it happens at lower volumes, you could be looking at a blown HU "amp" or a defective speaker.
      06-06-2011, 11:25 AM   #5
zaheer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

only happening at high volumes, which is a good news i guess..hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
You should be fine, impedance wise. If the crackling only happens when you turn it up, then it is probably just the HU not being able to keep up with the new speakers. Or, you could have a defective or blown midrange. If it happens at lower volumes, you could be looking at a blown HU "amp" or a defective speaker.
      06-06-2011, 11:29 AM   #6
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: '08 335i

See if you can loacate a single speaker making the noise. If you can, it may be blown. If the distortion comes from all speakers, it is the HU being too weak. Be careful, distortion from the Hu will easily blow speakers, even the "beafier" individual audio ones.