E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Eibach Pro springs with SE dampers?

04-04-2015, 07:54 PM   #1
Tim G
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 3.0d LCI

Eibach Pro springs with SE dampers?

I bought my E91 Lci based on the spec, being an dealer ex-demo car it has lots of the toys I wanted, was the right colour etc. The one sacrafice I had to make though was that the car had the M-sport suspension deleted, so I assume therefore runs SE spec suspension. Sits noticeaby higher (rubbish) and is a softer ride for sure (no bad thing!).

Now I've had numerous sets of coilovers (both budget and premium) on previous VW/AUDI's, but finances are tight currently and I'm considering a spring only drop as a cheap solution.

So, first does anyone have some photos they can throw up of a E91 Lci M Sport running Eibach Pro springs, and standard wheels.

Second, just how bouncy/poor can I expect the ride to be with an Eibach spring, but the SE dampers? Will it be ok?

Any info/ opinions welcome.

Regards
Tim
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 03:18 AM   #2
IanS100
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

That sounds like a very unhealthy combination & I'd expect the ride to be even more bouncy & poor than it is now
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 03:54 AM   #3
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

Eibachs arent particularly stiff, and thus it might be fine so long as the SE dampers are healthy.

I'd say try it and see how you get on. If its awful, sort out some shocks once your finances are in a better state. It will almost certainly be better than soggy SE suspension.

Theres a lot of crap around about fitting lowering springs to standard shocks. Unless your going for some crazy low springs or are fitting very stiff springs, and so long as your stock dampers are actually working properly, you'll tend to find it all just works. Might not be optimal, but its also much cheaper.

FWIW, my E90 MSport sits almost exactly the same height as my brothers E91 SE on Eibach Pro-kit springs. If anything, mines very slighly lower, but theres nothing in it. He has bilstein dampers with his though, so cant directly compare the shocks.

My dad has an Audi A4 with Eibach Pro-kit and stock 15 year old dampers and its fine, certainly a bit softer than my old A4 which had a Pro-kit and Bilsteins, but perfectly acceptable.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 04:03 AM   #4
JM85
Captain
Rep
Drives: EBII F30 + AW E90

What kind of drop are you hoping for?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 05:44 AM   #5
Tim G
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I'd like it to sit level for starters without the ridiculous reverse rake that BMW seem to think looks acceptable.

The rear on the M sport setup seems to sit OK I guess (fronts still seem high to me), so that rear height, but all round would be fine.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 04:19 PM   #6
Russbmw
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '15 F32 435i Sport

Garage List
It works fine, there's no issues.

Had the same setup on my wife's e93. Looked sweet to be honest. Nice drop, looked the same as my e92 on sport shocks with Eibach springs. Her car had 102k on the clock when we did it, and there were no handling issues at all. Sat nicely, handled better (ie:less body roll, no bouncing...as people seem to think will occur. Bouncing only happens if your shocks are fucked).

Do it. Simple to do and cheap as well.

Drop is only 5-10mm max on the rear, and about 15-20mm on the front. So probably won't sit much more level that it does at present.

Bouncing and all kinds of issues occur when you put seriously short springs on shocks that are not designed to sit that low. The natural sag is fucked into a hat and the shocks compression and extension limits are the all out of whack. Eibach springs drop is not enough to adversely affect their operation, so the neutral resting position is still within acceptable limits - that's the point.

CLICK ON MY SIGNATURE PICTURE BELOW FOR MY DETAILING WORK PAGE!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 04:39 PM   #7
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Yeah your SE shocks made for softer and longer springs will be absolutely fine with shorter and stiffer springs. I mean why wouldn't they??

I put AC Schnitzer springs on my SE 320D and it improved handling and ride was the same, but my shocks were gone after a few months and the ride was bouncy as fuck. Many other members have reported the same, some even with M Sport dampers.

ACS springs give the same lowering as Eibach....

I know this is the internet and everyones an expert, but just think about my first paragraph. If you don't mind replacing your shocks soon after then go for it.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 04:50 PM   #8
Russbmw
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
AC and Alpina use Eibach.

You can put slightly shorter springs on SE shocks.

As I said, if you put a massive drop on shocks you run into issues. I suggest the OP reads up on how shocks operate first off.

I've put Eibach springs on SE shocks on 5 of my BMW's over the years with absolutely no issues whatsoever. My e39 I am told by the guy I sold it to, has surpassed 40k miles with Eibachs on SE shocks without any problems whatsoever, and I fitted them at about 90k miles (so yes, that's 130k+ miles now on the ORIGINAL SE shocks)- so I have first hand experience, and am not (like many) recycling information I've read elsewhere, with no first hand knowledge. The e39 also went on several Ring trips, and was impeccably well behaved.

As long as you are planning on fitting the Eibach Pro, not the lower Eibach Street, then you'll be fine, i can assure you.

Fitting progressively wound coils is not the same as "back in the day", just chopping a few coils off the stock spirngs.

Last edited by Russbmw; 04-05-2015 at 05:04 PM.
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2015, 05:12 PM   #9
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Russ we had this exact same argument a few months back and i really can't be bothered to discuss this with you again. Your experiences have obviously been positive so fair enough, i'm not accusing you of lying, perhaps you've just been lucky.

But i've also had first hand experience and heard the same experiences from a lot of other people using lower and stiffer springs on SE shocks. Are you saying i'm arguing my point for absolutely no reason? Because that would be ridiculous.

OP do what you want but please research into this more than this thread.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 05:15 PM   #10
Russbmw
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Oh, that was you! LOL! (I wasn't directing the above at you or anything, BTW....just saying people tend to recite opinions with no experience themselves).

What was your experience, out of interest?

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 05:15 PM   #11
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Here is mine and Russ' discussion: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1052418
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 05:16 PM   #12
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russbmw
Oh, that was you! LOL!

What was your experience?
Haha yeah i have a strong memory when i need to

I had ACS springs on SE dampers.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 05:22 PM   #13
Russbmw
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List

Was that just on your e92?

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 05:23 PM   #14
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

I'm with russ, i've done it and it works.

Sure, when i was younger "back in the day" i had the Vauxhall Nova with the -60mm springs jammed on standard shocks, and that was awful, too low, too stiff and the stock dampers just couldnt keep up, resulting in the typical bouncy horrible ride that everyone talks about.

But the Eibach Pro-Kit springs are only mildly shorter and mildly stiffer than stock, and the standard dampers in good condition will work just fine. Its not optimal, and a properly designed system like the Bilstein B12 kit (which uses the Eibach springs mated with Bilstein B6 shocks) will almost certainly be better, but if your on a budget it does the job.

Surely given the OP's position it makes sense to give it a go. If it suits him, great. If its crap, he can sort out some better dampers.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 05:43 PM   #15
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Was that just on your e92?
Nope on my previous E90
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 05:45 PM   #16
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Aragorns right just try it out and if it fucks up just replace the dampers then.

But dont say you weren't warned
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 05:51 PM   #17
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Oh, that was you! LOL! (I wasn't directing the above at you or anything, BTW....just saying people tend to recite opinions with no experience themselves).

What was your experience, out of interest?
Must have missed this.

The stock SE was quite comfortable. Ride height was quite high.

I put ACS springs on and body roll definitely reduced, especially around fast corners. But i don't know if that was because of the stiffer springs or because i was riding on the bump stops.

Comfort was pretty much the same. Didn't notice it to be more of a stiff ride.

However the more i got used to it i noticed the car wouldn't settle as quickly as before over bumps. It just felt different/wrong.

When i part ex'd my car they said my shocks seem to have been damaged and asked if i had been in an accident! I had the original OE springs on then. I don't remember the mileage but it was a 2 year old car so wouldn't have been that high.

Edit: agree with you about recylcling. People are just trying to help but it can be dangerous! Like people saying a certain coilover is great etc, when in fact its not and has had many issues arise
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 03:46 PM   #18
Terryk
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 Montego Blue N46B20

totally agree with Aragorn30d's post. I have done it many times in the past and worked fine (maybe not perfectly as with i.e proper yellow bilstein sprint shocks). mainly with H&R springs which are considered to be very harsh. I do believe that with eibach there will be no prob. Also, since I am with SE suspension and my income is limited too I will go for eibach pro springs too maybe at the end of the month (I hate the gap at the front fenders and the 30mm-25mm lowering height that this kit provides would be more than fine for me and my taste) matching them with standard new oem Sachs shocks since I don't want to install firmer shocks.
Another quick example at this point, is that many many guys proceed with yellow bilstein sport shocks and shorter springs and say that they do have a perfect combo when manufacturer bilstein says that only yellow sprint shocks should be matched with lowering spirngs.
sorry for my long post.
      04-06-2015, 05:12 PM   #19
Tim G
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Good to see some healthy discussion since I last checked this thread. Thanks for all of the replies, which to a large extent, are pretty much in line with everything else I have ever read.

Does anyone have any photos of a spring only drop on a touring in particular? Either on Eibach or H&R?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 06:38 PM   #20
Jules59
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Still searching ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim G View Post
Good to see some healthy discussion since I last checked this thread. Thanks for all of the replies, which to a large extent, are pretty much in line with everything else I have ever read.

Does anyone have any photos of a spring only drop on a touring in particular? Either on Eibach or H&R?
Here you are

Eibach Pro on my MSport (has Bilstein B4S dampers)

this is better I think

Last edited by Jules59; 04-06-2015 at 06:49 PM.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 03:40 AM   #21
Tim G
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks! Certainly looks a damn sight better than the SE height. The only slight thing that annoys me about the pro kit is the rear is still sits slightly lower than the front. Looks less obvious in the first though PIC actually.

Off topic but what colour is your car? Its a nice combo with the dark wheels.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 04:26 AM   #22
Russbmw
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Every Eibach pro kit I've fitted, or seen fitted, doesn't really drop the rear that much at all - in some cases it's barely looked any different, so it must just be the way the car above is parked gives that impression.

Appreciate 0