E90Post

Lux Angel Eyes

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Bad gas mileage after oil service reset from DIY on here

06-12-2011, 10:46 PM   #1
azzurribaggio
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2004 330ci E46/2006 325i E90

Bad gas mileage after oil service reset from DIY on here

Changed my oil and filter yesterday, reset the service light using the tip here

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...vice+indicator

All went well, then today I noticed my gas consumption was pretty quick and that I almost went through a 1/4 tank driving 43 miles (Mountain View, CA to Emeryville, CA). Filled up in Emeryville, CA and reset my mileage counter, saw my "miles till an empty tank" reading was 419 miles. On the way home from Emeryville I noticed the "miles till an empty tank" reading go from 419 to 390 and the distance I traveled at the time was 4.3 miles. I monitored this and confirmed that the miles till empty reading was going down quite fast and I know for sure I hadn't traveled that many miles, if anything about 3-4 blocks.
Here's another strange thing that happened, once I hit the highway the "miles till an empty tank" reading started going UP!!!! When I got home my MPG reading was almost 30! I stopped the car and drove off again and noticed the counter going back down, but at the fast pace which I noticed earlier.
Sorry for the long winded description but has anyone ever experienced this and better yet how do I fix it? I'm pretty sure this state was caused by using the reset tip in that other thread because I can't figure out anything else that might've caused the car to be in this state!

So my $65 oil change (patting myself on the back) might turn into an expensive trip to the dealer or a shop for diagnosis of this problem...(slapping myself upside the head)
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 03:34 AM   #2
tibra1
Banned
No_Country

Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

I wouldnt get too hung up on the trip computer and gas consumption ...u should reset the fuel consumption as well.. just hold the BC stick button and it will go to zero..it will keep going up and down (depending on driving conditions) until it settles at a final number..there is nothing wrong w ur car

i calculate MPG the old fashion way..fill up and reset trip and when u refill again just the divide the trip mileage by the # of gallons u filled with

My comp says i am making 12.7mpg when in reality i make closer to 16..i drive like a maniac and am tuned w FBO, so it sounds about right
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 07:12 AM   #3
Socom
BMWCCA since '03
United_States

Drives: 2015 435i

Miles to empty is based on current rate of consumption. Don't worry so much about the little things in life.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 08:55 AM   #4
ceb
NHTSA Nazi

Drives: 335ix

IIRC, miles to empty is calculated from consumption over the last 10 or 15 miles.

If your miles to empty was 419 after you filled up then your prior 10 miles or so was highway. The drop to 390 just means that there was some city driving. That's why the estimates went back up once on the highway.

This has nothing to do with the oil change.
Appreciate 0