E90Post
 


ProTUNING Freaks
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Meth - chargepipe vs. meth elbow



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-14-2011, 12:08 AM   #1
butters1234
Private
0
Rep
52
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: USA

iTrader: (1)

Meth - chargepipe vs. meth elbow

So, after doing some searches, it seems there isnt a lot of agreement on whats better, a CP vs. a meth elbow for overall performance and easy of use (no issues with install or maintenance).

Also, I see folks saying that certain CPs pop off, have fitment issues, and such.

So, I was hoping someone could explain the good and bad of each of the CP and meth elbow as it relates to performance of meth (nozzle placement) and easy of use.

Also, what CPs and meth elbows seem to have the best overall reviews.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 01:23 AM   #2
Brey335i
Brigadier General
Brey335i's Avatar
52
Rep
4,734
Posts

Drives: e46 ///M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (11)

From what I've seen, most charge pipes tend to place the nozzle location at the same spot.

Neither is really superior. But remember that a meth elbow has to fit with your charge pipe... or you'll have to cut it. And that can suck if your blow off valve is too close to the front of the engine.

That being said, I run a charge pipe and meth elbow setup and love it
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 09:46 AM   #3
butters1234
Private
0
Rep
52
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: USA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brey335i View Post
From what I've seen, most charge pipes tend to place the nozzle location at the same spot.

Neither is really superior. But remember that a meth elbow has to fit with your charge pipe... or you'll have to cut it. And that can suck if your blow off valve is too close to the front of the engine.

That being said, I run a charge pipe and meth elbow setup and love it
Thanks for the reponse. It sounds like they all take similar approaches on the location. So, which charge pipes (that take DVs) seem to have the best fit and least number of issues?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 10:20 AM   #4
KyLu II
FREE DREAMK
KyLu II's Avatar
Dominican Republic
103
Rep
9,316
Posts

Drives: the shiiit!
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vineland, NJ

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2011 Lexus LFA  [1.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by butters1234 View Post
Thanks for the reponse. It sounds like they all take similar approaches on the location. So, which charge pipes (that take DVs) seem to have the best fit and least number of issues?
I have stett with the forge dv and love it!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 10:28 AM   #5
Elie335
ايلي ٣٣٥ هاهاها
Elie335's Avatar
St Pierre and Miquelon
28
Rep
1,448
Posts

Drives: Vorsteiner e92
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Leb

iTrader: (1)

they both have the same term in performance if you are running an atomizing meth nozzle.

BUT meth nozzle in meth elbow will make iat go lower then nozzle in charge pipe.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 11:17 AM   #6
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
597
Rep
15,996
Posts


Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: N54tuning.com

iTrader: (88)

With the ER charge pipes you can always order the 09+ version which has the elbow built in and request the nozzles be placed in the elbow. This is what I recommend for my customers and is the best overall solution.

Mike
__________________
LOWEST PRICE GURANTEE ON ALL PRODUCTS - www.n54tuning.com - Email; Mike@n54tuning.com
NEW PERFORMANCE LINE N54 DOWNPIPES & M3/M4 & F30 ER DOWNPIPES NOW IN STOCK - ER N54 CHARPE PIPE SPECIALS - NEW JB4 G5 ISO for N54 and F30 N55 ON SALE - NEW S55 M3/M4 JB4 NOW SHIPPING
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 11:20 AM   #7
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
Syndicategt's Avatar
United_States
58
Rep
3,731
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Nor Cal

iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
With the ER charge pipes you can always order the 09+ version which has the elbow built in and request the nozzles be placed in the elbow. This is what I recommend for my customers and is the best overall solution.

Mike
Or if you ask them to, they can put the nozzels wherever you want them. You don't have to worry about ER's chargepipe "blowing off".
__________________
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 03:59 PM   #8
butters1234
Private
0
Rep
52
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: USA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elie335 View Post
they both have the same term in performance if you are running an atomizing meth nozzle.

BUT meth nozzle in meth elbow will make iat go lower then nozzle in charge pipe.
Does a aquamist pmw kit has an atomizing meth nozzle, right?

Injecting it at the meth elbow vs. the CP puts its farther from the engine, correct? Doesnt that cause it to have less of a cooling effect as the meth sprayed air will travel farther along piping thats being heated by the surrounding engine bay?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 04:01 PM   #9
butters1234
Private
0
Rep
52
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: USA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndicategt View Post
Or if you ask them to, they can put the nozzels wherever you want them. You don't have to worry about ER's chargepipe "blowing off".
Yea, i am picking between the ER, Stett, Vishnu or AR meth elbow i think.

Thanks for the info guys
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 04:02 PM   #10
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Jeff@TopGearSolutions's Avatar
United_States
327
Rep
20,017
Posts


Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: TopGearSolutions.com

iTrader: (32)

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
Quote:
Originally Posted by butters1234 View Post
Does a aquamist pmw kit has an atomizing meth nozzle, right?

Injecting it at the meth elbow vs. the CP puts its farther from the engine, correct? Doesnt that cause it to have less of a cooling effect as the meth sprayed air will travel farther along piping thats being heated by the surrounding engine bay?
That is only theory but on this car it has been proven that there is better atomization and justfiably = cooling right at the elbow vs near the TB. First and foremost you want to spray before the TMAP sensor otherwise you will get a high reading of IAT.

I've sprayed close to the throttle body with no gains shown.

There are many various setups you can from methanol and they will all perform similar.

Granted a good charge pipe and BOV or DV will help hold boost so its always recommended to go that route along with a clean meth elbow setup.

Let me know if you have any questions we carry a bunch of products that can fit your needs and budget.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:57 PM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST