E90Post
 


GT Haus
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Raced a Jeep SRT8 uphill at 4500 ft. from 0-100.



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-04-2007, 11:33 AM   #1
Cornhusker
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Nebraska

Posts: 403
iTrader: (1)

Raced a Jeep SRT8 uphill at 4500 ft. from 0-100.

It amazes me how big a difference elevation makes. My car is proceeded FYI.

NA cars just die at this elevation.

Let's just say that I started behind the Jeep and by the time I hit 100 I was ahead by 6 or 7 car lengths. I must say though, it's amazing how fast those things are considering it's weight. I imagine it's gotta weigh at least 5500 lbs.
Cornhusker is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-04-2007, 12:07 PM   #2
HyperM3
Too many Alex's, from now on, call me Beaufort
 
HyperM3's Avatar
 
Drives: See Sig
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, NJ

Posts: 6,166
iTrader: (8)

Send a message via AIM to HyperM3 Send a message via Yahoo to HyperM3
According to MSN.com Autos, its Curb Weight is 4819lbs.
__________________
12 Ducati Diavel CB
13 HD FatBob
13 Audi S6
Audi Brand Specialist @ Princeton
HyperM3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-04-2007, 12:34 PM   #3
Cornhusker
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Nebraska

Posts: 403
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperM3 View Post
According to MSN.com Autos, its Curb Weight is 4819lbs.
Wow. Well, I just assumed it weighed about what other suv's it's size weigh.
Cornhusker is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-04-2007, 03:40 PM   #4
serge
Captain
 
serge's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP / 2012 GTI
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ramstein, Germany / Grovetown, GA

Posts: 759
iTrader: (0)

FYI

Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
0 to 60: 4.6
13.2 @ 104.1 mph
4,805 lbs.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....&page_number=3

Congrats on the kill...6/7 cars ahead at 100mph means your Procede 335 must be in the mid 12's at 110+mph
serge is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      04-04-2007, 04:07 PM   #5
turbocoins
Captain
 
turbocoins's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 Z06, '07 MKZ
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Warm Climate

Posts: 751
iTrader: (0)

Agreed. The SRT-8 is quite fast, and has excellent traction. Don't let the weight fool you. I think it was Callaway who just made a single turbo version, with the turbo hanging out under the vehicle that ran the 1/4 in the low 12s. I am just trying to remember the article from a couple of months ago. Anyone?
turbocoins is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-04-2007, 04:09 PM   #6
turbocoins
Captain
 
turbocoins's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 Z06, '07 MKZ
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Warm Climate

Posts: 751
iTrader: (0)

Just found it--Hennessey 2006 Jeep SRT-8 Turbo ran 12.2 at 115 mph with a 1.85 60 ft time.
turbocoins is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-04-2007, 04:10 PM   #7
HyperM3
Too many Alex's, from now on, call me Beaufort
 
HyperM3's Avatar
 
Drives: See Sig
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, NJ

Posts: 6,166
iTrader: (8)

Send a message via AIM to HyperM3 Send a message via Yahoo to HyperM3
How about Hennessy's version:

http://www.caranddriver.com/specialt...ee-srt600.html

Last line:
FUEL ECONOMY:
C/D-observed fuel economy: 8 mpg
__________________
12 Ducati Diavel CB
13 HD FatBob
13 Audi S6
Audi Brand Specialist @ Princeton
HyperM3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-04-2007, 04:46 PM   #8
turbocoins
Captain
 
turbocoins's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 Z06, '07 MKZ
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Warm Climate

Posts: 751
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperM3 View Post
How about Hennessy's version:

http://www.caranddriver.com/specialt...ee-srt600.html

Last line:
FUEL ECONOMY:
C/D-observed fuel economy: 8 mpg
I guess you can't have everything!
turbocoins is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-04-2007, 04:47 PM   #9
HyperM3
Too many Alex's, from now on, call me Beaufort
 
HyperM3's Avatar
 
Drives: See Sig
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, NJ

Posts: 6,166
iTrader: (8)

Send a message via AIM to HyperM3 Send a message via Yahoo to HyperM3
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbocoins View Post
I guess you can't have everything!
You can in the 335 with(insert name here)tuning!
__________________
12 Ducati Diavel CB
13 HD FatBob
13 Audi S6
Audi Brand Specialist @ Princeton
HyperM3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-04-2007, 05:01 PM   #10
Cornhusker
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Nebraska

Posts: 403
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge View Post
FYI

Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
0 to 60: 4.6
13.2 @ 104.1 mph
4,805 lbs.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....&page_number=3

Congrats on the kill...6/7 cars ahead at 100mph means your Procede 335 must be in the mid 12's at 110+mph

Remember, like I said, it was at 4500 feet. I've read a couple articles at tests done on the same FI and NA cars at sea level and then at 6000 ft.

In the tests, the na cars lost 12% at 6000 and the FI cars lost 2-3%.

So the srt8 at 4500 is probably losing around 9%, meaning instead of 425 hp it is probably producing about 390 hp at this elevation. My proceed 335i is probably producing about 360 crank hp at sea level and about 350 at this elevation. The weight difference being the defining factor.
Cornhusker is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-04-2007, 07:33 PM   #11
BavarianRocket
Private
 
Drives: 335i, Jet Black
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Wisconsin

Posts: 52
iTrader: (0)

off topic but since we are talking about kills is it a surprise to anyone that my stock 335i walked a WRX STI from 60 to 130...... was out by like 4 cars when I hit 135 and said.... this isn't worth getting my car impounded and losing my license
__________________
335i, coupe', Jet Black, Comfort Access, Premium, Sport, Cold Weather, Step, Saddle Brown Dakota Leather
BavarianRocket is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-04-2007, 07:40 PM   #12
Insider
Captain
 
Insider's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 4,500 feet above sea level

Posts: 710
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornhusker View Post
Remember, like I said, it was at 4500 feet. I've read a couple articles at tests done on the same FI and NA cars at sea level and then at 6000 ft.

In the tests, the na cars lost 12% at 6000 and the FI cars lost 2-3%.

So the srt8 at 4500 is probably losing around 9%, meaning instead of 425 hp it is probably producing about 390 hp at this elevation. My proceed 335i is probably producing about 360 crank hp at sea level and about 350 at this elevation. The weight difference being the defining factor.
I'm also at 4,500 ft (Reno, NV). At 4500 ft a NA car will lose 15% of its power. At 6000 you are losing 20%. If it's hot outside, even more. So the Jeep was making around 365HP, down from 425.
__________________
http://www.insiderpicks.com - The world's best stock picks.
Insider is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-04-2007, 10:12 PM   #13
sbkim
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 997 Turbo
Join Date: May 2006
Location: nowhere, nv

Posts: 249
iTrader: (0)

GC SRT8 performance suffers alot from heat. I am not surprised that 335 would beat one on the highway. They will be tough to beat from stop. I was planning to order an 08 until I found out that 09 "may" have 500 hp 6.4L.
sbkim is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-05-2007, 01:01 AM   #14
serge
Captain
 
serge's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP / 2012 GTI
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ramstein, Germany / Grovetown, GA

Posts: 759
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbocoins View Post
Agreed. The SRT-8 is quite fast, and has excellent traction. Don't let the weight fool you. I think it was Callaway who just made a single turbo version, with the turbo hanging out under the vehicle that ran the 1/4 in the low 12s. I am just trying to remember the article from a couple of months ago. Anyone?
It was the Hennessey SRT600, 0 TO 60 in 3.7 and 12.2@116mph

http://www.caranddriver.com/specialt...ons-page2.html
serge is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      04-05-2007, 01:03 AM   #15
serge
Captain
 
serge's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP / 2012 GTI
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ramstein, Germany / Grovetown, GA

Posts: 759
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianRocket View Post
off topic but since we are talking about kills is it a surprise to anyone that my stock 335i walked a WRX STI from 60 to 130...... was out by like 4 cars when I hit 135 and said.... this isn't worth getting my car impounded and losing my license
Not a surprise at all
serge is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      04-05-2007, 01:24 AM   #16
serge
Captain
 
serge's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP / 2012 GTI
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ramstein, Germany / Grovetown, GA

Posts: 759
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornhusker View Post
Remember, like I said, it was at 4500 feet. I've read a couple articles at tests done on the same FI and NA cars at sea level and then at 6000 ft.

In the tests, the na cars lost 12% at 6000 and the FI cars lost 2-3%.

So the srt8 at 4500 is probably losing around 9%, meaning instead of 425 hp it is probably producing about 390 hp at this elevation. My proceed 335i is probably producing about 360 crank hp at sea level and about 350 at this elevation. The weight difference being the defining factor.
Yes, you're right, NA cars loose more power than FI cars at altitude, but keep in mind that, like the 335, the SRT8's official 425hp are quite underrated. Also, your Procede 335 is pushing more than 360 horses at the cranck...more likely 390/400. (330 whp average with an aproximate 20% drivetrain loss)

BTW, FI cars loose more than 2-3% at 6000ft. I lived 2 years in Colorado Springs (6500 ft) and my Evo was almost a full second slower in the quarter mile compared to sea level. My estimate is a 18-20% loss. There's also the spool up issue: max boost at sea level was around 2600rpm...at 6500 it was achieved at 3100rpm (got lag?).
serge is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      04-05-2007, 06:38 AM   #17
dr335is
Brigadier General
 
Drives: GTI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,973
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge View Post
It was the Hennessey SRT600, 0 TO 60 in 3.7 and 12.2@116mph

http://www.caranddriver.com/specialt...ons-page2.html
But the 335 will still beat it...on this board
dr335is is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-05-2007, 07:09 AM   #18
CoralRedPlz
restless
 
Drives: Space Grey, Coral Red 335i
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: around town

Posts: 485
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge View Post
Yes, you're right, NA cars loose more power than FI cars at altitude, but keep in mind that, like the 335, the SRT8's official 425hp are quite underrated. Also, your Procede 335 is pushing more than 360 horses at the cranck...more likely 390/400. (330 whp average with an aproximate 20% drivetrain loss)

BTW, FI cars loose more than 2-3% at 6000ft. I lived 2 years in Colorado Springs (6500 ft) and my Evo was almost a full second slower in the quarter mile compared to sea level. .

i was with shiv at the boulder, CO dyno day which is at 5300ft, and the dyno runs showed what a great job they (bmw) did in adjusting for altitude.

the losses were fairly close to 0 if i remember right. which would explain why the 335 completely walked the NA jeep.

but stock for stock at ground level, the 335 still walks it. there is a video laying around of that race between two brothers who own the cars. ill try and find it.
__________________
335i space, coral/gray poplar, step, loaded, but with no AS, AC or rear shade. Front lip painted and installed and springs going on this week. pics coming soon.
CoralRedPlz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-05-2007, 07:09 AM   #19
CoralRedPlz
restless
 
Drives: Space Grey, Coral Red 335i
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: around town

Posts: 485
iTrader: (0)

here it is http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...highlight=srt8
__________________
335i space, coral/gray poplar, step, loaded, but with no AS, AC or rear shade. Front lip painted and installed and springs going on this week. pics coming soon.
CoralRedPlz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-05-2007, 09:28 AM   #20
serge
Captain
 
serge's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP / 2012 GTI
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ramstein, Germany / Grovetown, GA

Posts: 759
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoralRedPlz View Post
I believe that this is a Procede 335. Stock SRT8s run 13.2 in the quarter, just a tick faster than a stock 335.
serge is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      04-05-2007, 09:32 AM   #21
CoralRedPlz
restless
 
Drives: Space Grey, Coral Red 335i
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: around town

Posts: 485
iTrader: (0)

im pretty sure its not procede, right?

his sig says he is still waiting for it, and he never mentioned it anywhere else i dont think?

edit to add: i just found this post of his:
Quote:
You know i was planning on getting an M3, (E92 that is). Then i changed my mind when i saw the amazing results Shivs Procede can give the 335i. So i think you should stick with ur car. Maybe in like 3-5 years you can get what you want. Atleast you will get what you payed for. Rather than selling it now and loosing some dinaro.. Just my advice.
also, no mention of the procede anywhere in either thread, seems to me he doesnt have it yet.
__________________
335i space, coral/gray poplar, step, loaded, but with no AS, AC or rear shade. Front lip painted and installed and springs going on this week. pics coming soon.
CoralRedPlz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-05-2007, 09:40 AM   #22
schneid4323
Banned
 
Drives: 335i, M6
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dallas TX

Posts: 1,134
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to schneid4323
that jeep makes me sick....... i want one just to race ricers in
schneid4323 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:57 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST