E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Anybody have er chargepipe and Turbosmart kompact plumb back do experience?

08-13-2015, 12:01 PM   #1
JRAD7
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 335i M Sport

Anybody have er chargepipe and Turbosmart kompact plumb back do experience?

Hi,

I'm currently looking at upgrading my cp and diverter valves. Im not a fan of bovs that vent into the atmosphere so I'm looking for a silent plumb back setup. I've looked into forge dvs with an er charge pipe but have been put off by people that have experienced sticking issues with forge. I'm now leaning towards Turbosmart kompact dvs and the er chargepipe and was wondering if there are other users who have experience with this setup? I've done numerous searches but have found very little. One person mentioned in a post that the dual port Turbosmart kompact had a slight clearance issue due to the angled fitting on the er cp. I'm not sure if this is only related to the dual port or the plumb back setup also.

Any experiences with this combination would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 12:33 PM   #2
Stucks
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

I ran those valves for a while. they worked fine. I upgraded to a vent to atmostphere bov.
      08-13-2015, 06:30 PM   #3
Bimmer 808
MT or bust!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335i M Sport, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRAD7 View Post
Hi,

I'm currently looking at upgrading my cp and diverter valves. Im not a fan of bovs that vent into the atmosphere so I'm looking for a silent plumb back setup. I've looked into forge dvs with an er charge pipe but have been put off by people that have experienced sticking issues with forge. I'm now leaning towards Turbosmart kompact dvs and the er chargepipe and was wondering if there are other users who have experience with this setup? I've done numerous searches but have found very little. One person mentioned in a post that the dual port Turbosmart kompact had a slight clearance issue due to the angled fitting on the er cp. I'm not sure if this is only related to the dual port or the plumb back setup also.

Thanks
Hey OP, I will be installing the plumb back with the VRSF CP this weekend so I will let you know how it goes.
2010 E90 335i M Sport, MT - BMW PE; VRSF 7in; K&N; RB PCV; VRSF CP; Turbosmart KPB BOV; M3 Cowl; VRSF Cerakote DPs; Carly coding; ECS Scoops; ECS Strut Tower Brace; Ziza interior LEDs; Fuel-It! Stage 2 LPFP; Diff lock down brace V2; MHD E60 Map from BuraQ; Mishimoto OCC; ECS oil filter cap
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 08:17 PM   #4
JRAD7
Private
Rep

Thanks for the input guys. Let me know how it goes Bimmer.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 07:24 AM   #5
c0ris07
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

I have this setup and yes the DV near the firewall is jammed in there. I actually cut down the bottom to give it a bit more space off the wheel well. Not the end of the world though, still much rather them than a BOV
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 10:30 AM   #6
JRAD7
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0ris07 View Post
I have this setup and yes the DV near the firewall is jammed in there. I actually cut down the bottom to give it a bit more space off the wheel well. Not the end of the world though, still much rather them than a BOV
That's exactly the info I was after, thanks for letting me know. What did you cut down to make the extra room? Apparently ER can make a custom pipe that has two upright fittings similar to the oem cp. Do you think this would fix the tight fit? I'll most probably be buying new anyway so might as well get it custom made to fit comfortably.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 09:11 AM   #7
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

This is the exact setup I just installed a few weeks ago. No issues to report, everything works as expected.
      08-15-2015, 11:25 AM   #8
D3oneO
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks
I have this setup. On the diverter closest to the firewall I have it plumb-back. The other diverter is set up to blow-off to atmospherr - it the 50/50 setup.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 11:01 PM   #9
JRAD7
Private
Rep

Thanks for the feedback. Did anyone have to change the provided springs? I know they were designed for the n54 but I realised last night that the plumb back version comes with green springs rated -9 to -15 inhg and the dual port comes with pink springs rated -15 to -24 inhg. Our cars range from -18 to -21 at idle so the pink springs are correct. Maybe the lighter springs have something to do with the pressure being plumbed back into the system?

I sent an email to Turbosmart to ask about the different springs used because it will ultimately sway my decision to buy the dual port or plumb back model if I have to buy additional springs anyway. I'd rather spend an extra $50 on the dual port if additional springs are needed for the plumb back because of resale value.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2015, 08:20 PM   #10
JRAD7
Private
Rep

For anyone interested this was the response from Turbosmart about the different springs.

"The two different spring pressures in the two different BOVs are because they both operate under different conditions. The plumb back isn't required to stay closed at idle hence the softer spring, we use a softer spring to aid response of the BOV and to alleviate any compressor surging. The Pink spring in the dual port is used to keep the valve closed at idle so no air is vented while the engine is idling, which can cause stalling or rough idle."
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2015, 01:21 PM   #11
paraplan
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i 2007

Quote:
For anyone interested this was the response from Turbosmart about the different springs.

"The two different spring pressures in the two different BOVs are because they both operate under different conditions. The plumb back isn't required to stay closed at idle hence the softer spring, we use a softer spring to aid response of the BOV and to alleviate any compressor surging. The Pink spring in the dual port is used to keep the valve closed at idle so no air is vented while the engine is idling, which can cause stalling or rough idle."
JRAD7, I'm so glad I found this thread! I was going to do exact same setup: ER + Turbosmart Kompact DVs. Same questions and concerns you had about the clearance and the springs. Can you please post an update what you finally went with? Pictures would also be greatly appreciated
I'm planning to order CP from n54tuning.com and wonder if they can do custom welding for the Turbosmart DVs to avoid clearance issues.
      10-16-2015, 01:27 PM   #12
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

I believe I have the pink springs installed. How can I tell if they are not working correctly, boost spikes? What should I look for when logging? Thx
      10-16-2015, 10:07 PM   #13
JRAD7
Private
Rep

Hi Paraplan,

I went with the plumb back kompacts and also ordered the regular ER dv charge pipe from n54 tuning. I spoke to Mike about the hoses that connect the turbosmart kompacts onto the pipe and asked if he could supply longer than standard. He was very helpful and gave me two hoses which were double the length so I could cut them to size. I think the regular supplied hoses are 2" and come up short so you need 3" as I cut them back 1". The dvs fit snug against the engine bay wall but it really isn't an issue.

I've been really happy with the fitment and the performance of this setup. The turbosmart plumb backs give off a very quiet sound when shifting at WOT with a stage 1 fmic tune due to higher boost levels but it's not loud and obnoxious. This was my ideal setup and something I can enjoy driving everyday.

Kaigoss - did you change the springs on the plumb back version yourself? You would only have green springs from factory otherwise as per the turbosmart email above. If you had the pink springs in a fully plumbed back system you may hear some turbo "flutter" when shifting which I believe is caused by the spring not allowing for all the pressure to escape. That flutter noise is compressor surge and can damage the turbos over time or reduce their lifespan.

I don't know why they advertise the kompact bovs the way they do. It seems the dual port option should only be run venting to the atmosphere unless you change to the green springs to accommodate for the plumb back option. They don't supply you with extra springs so it's something to keep in mind when purchasing. Not something I can see people changing often anyway so it would be best to choose what you prefer from the start and stick with it.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 10:19 PM   #14
JRAD7
Private
Rep

The reason I didn't get a custom cp made was because it would have taken longer and may not have allowed for different intakes in the future. I doubt I'll be changing from the factory airbox + BMC drop in but the option is always nice and it wont hurt the resale value either. There wasn't a lot of information anywhere about the turbosmart kompact fitments on different brand cps so I'm glad I could help. I'll try to post a photo of it if I don't need to remove the airbox to show how they fit. Either way you won't have a problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2015, 03:01 AM   #15
paraplan
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i 2007

JRAD7, thanks a lot for your input! Yes, having pictures of your setup would be great!

There is something I wanted to understand about Turbosmart Kompact series. I've read a lot of threads on this and other forums trying to understand the operational principles of this device compared to its competitor Forge DV.
It sounds like the way Forge DVs are usually installed, the pressure built up by turbos in CP is pushing the piston towards closed position. The piston can only be opened to release pressure excess by vacuum. This can be seen on this video:

This is Forge's installation manual and as it is seen on the photo on page 4, the spring is oriented towards the release pipe, not the charge pipe:
http://www.forgemotorsport.com/?download_id=54

Turbosmart DVs are the opposite: pressure in CP is working against the spring. Piston would open up if spring threshold is reached or if actuated by vacuum. This setup is working more like a safety valve.

If I understand it correctly and the above said is true, Turbosmart DVs are safer than Forge DVs as the latter could cause compressor surge should control solenoid is not delivering enough vacuum fast enough when excess pressure gets built in the CP.

I might be getting it completely wrong, so if anyone knowledgeable can shed some light here, it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by paraplan; 10-19-2015 at 03:49 PM.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 10:53 PM   #16
TBM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E90

I just got a set of Turbosmart Compact plumb backs.
I'm running 25 psi...which springs should I use? Green or pink?
      09-09-2016, 11:33 PM   #17
davidwarren
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '01 325i '06 325i '10 335i

I bought the generic turbosmart diverter valves so that they would have the proper hose connector rather than the clip in fitting. I changed the springs that came with them, but I don't remember what I went with. Might be the pinks. I have them in an ER pipe, but they both VTA.

edit- it is the pink springs.

Last edited by davidwarren; 09-12-2016 at 10:28 AM.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 11:39 PM   #18
TBM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E90

^
How do you like them so far and how much boost are you running?
      09-10-2016, 12:57 AM   #19
10sec1320
Rep
Drives: 2010 335

I have the compact version vent to atmosphere & highly recommend it. It's not loud at all, under normal driving you cannot hear it. Zero idle issues "car runs just like factory"
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 10:28 AM   #20
davidwarren
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '01 325i '06 325i '10 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBM View Post
^
How do you like them so far and how much boost are you running?
they are fine. No issues after probably a year and a half. Currently running MHD v7 stage 2+ on stock turbos, so I guess that's ~ 18psi?