E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BMW Cable

06-22-2011, 06:38 AM   #1
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

BMW Cable

Took the plunge, for $60 shipped seems like a no-brainer. May have to change my sig. It will pay for itself when I install a new battery and reset battery info..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-9...motiveQ5fTools
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 05:33 PM   #2
zorglubxx
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2010 E91 Touring

Congrats, I also got one and I don't have my car yet
In the eBay description it says that the cable is good for models until 2007 but I have read somewhere that you can also use it on newer models if you unsolder pins 7 and 8.

Would be great to hear about your first experiences using the cables for diagnostics. I have read a lot of info but it is all a bit daunting when first trying.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 08:19 PM   #3
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Wow, you are hard core; getting it before you have the car! I hope it works! I can't wait to play with coding ie: daytime running lights and all windows CLOSE. I will definitely post an update.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 10:15 PM   #4
DESI4life10
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Coding: Desi4life10@gmail.com

You do know there is a coding section here that specifies a great cable that is recommended to buy (only because it is guaranteed to work)? Not saying this cable won't work, but don't be surprised if you run into problems when using it (a lot of cables on ebay are pure knockoffs and don't work).

I would advise removing the link till you have a chance to test it (prevent others from buying it in case it doesn't work)
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 10:25 PM   #5
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Doh!!! I definitely haven't tested it so buy it at your own risk. It supposedly does more than coding, it also pulls codes so you can diagnose a problem. Desi, post a link of the other cable.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 10:33 PM   #6
DESI4life10
Banned
Canada
Rep

Yea this cable does it all too.
Here is the link to the cable many of us bought from him (trusted seller, even signed up on e90post to help answer questions):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-I...#ht_7189wt_958

This cable has been proven to work and he includes an adapter that allows you to code pre 2007 cars. Give him an offer (he accepts around $95-110)
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 10:38 PM   #7
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESI4life10 View Post
Yea this cable does it all too.
Here is the link to the cable many of us bought from him (trusted seller, even signed up on e90post to help answer questions):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-I...#ht_7189wt_958

This cable has been proven to work and he includes an adapter that allows you to code pre 2007 cars. Give him an offer (he accepts around $95-110)
Mine is 1/2 the price and it comes with a dvd of programs. Plus it is coming from Romania, what can possibly go wrong?! . Well, we will see, no one should buy it until I post an update in 21 days, that is when I should get it.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 10:54 PM   #8
DESI4life10
Banned
Canada
Rep

Yea...half the price (only if it works). Most, if not all, members that bought the $60 cable had no luck in getting it to work (search around in the coding section).

Your call. Just wanted to give you an FYI. There is more to a cable then just what you see on the outside. Software can also be found on the web (so that isn't a plus point).

The owner that designed the cable (the link I posted) is from Germany (just gets it produced in China, but still uses quality components).
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 11:00 PM   #9
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESI4life10 View Post
Yea...half the price (only if it works)

Your call. Just wanted to give you an FYI. There is more to a cable then just what you see on the outside. Software can also be found on the web (so that isn't a plus point).

The owner that designed the cable (the link I posted) is from Germany (just gets it produced in China, but still uses quality components).
I already bought it, there is no turning back. I can risk $60, not worried. Other ebayers posted positive comments about the cable, but we (I) will see.
P.S. Doesn't matter who is the owner, it matters where it is produced. China, I think my chances are 50/50. Also, hitler was from germany.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 12:43 AM   #10
Neutrino45
Major
Rep
Drives: XXX

Come to the coding section of the forum and we'll help you if you have questions!
      06-23-2011, 06:55 AM   #11
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutrino45 View Post
Come to the coding section of the forum and we'll help you if you have questions!
Will do! Thanks for the offer!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 07:27 AM   #12
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

subscribed...

Op, are you going to use a PC or MAC to code? (Just curious that is all)

Looking forward to hear about your review...

congrats!
      06-23-2011, 07:32 AM   #13
zorglubxx
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2010 E91 Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriztofor View Post
I already bought it, there is no turning back. I can risk $60, not worried. Other ebayers posted positive comments about the cable, but we (I) will see.
P.S. Doesn't matter who is the owner, it matters where it is produced. China, I think my chances are 50/50. Also, hitler was from germany.
Mine came from China. Bought on eBay from a guy who had 1000+ feedback so I thought it was relatively safe. It also came with a DVD with some software.

After reading on the forums about 2009 and newer models, I opened the connector and unsoldered pin 7-8. I get the car this week, so just a few days until I can try it
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 07:35 AM   #14
DESI4life10
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
LOL...

It's cool. Looking forward to your review.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 05:03 PM   #15
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by txusa03 View Post
subscribed...

Op, are you going to use a PC or MAC to code? (Just curious that is all)

Looking forward to hear about your review...

congrats!
I have a PC. Compaq, AMD Dual Core, 2.16 Ghz, 750GB hard drive 16MB Cache, 7200 rpm. She'll be fine.

By the way, A lot of coder enthusiasts on here! Can't wait! I was primarily going to use it for diagnosis, but looks like I am going to have fun coding.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 06:54 PM   #16
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

I have a blue cable just like that (probably the same one). Works fine in my '06 E90.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 04:28 AM   #17
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
I have a blue cable just like that (probably the same one). Works fine in my '06 E90.
Good to know, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 07:12 AM   #18
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Update: received the cable and DVD-rom. Tried installing "Daemon" software and my computer went into a restart loop. Did a system restore and that fixed it. Now I am totally shaken by this whole thing. It lost my faith in it. What happens if it screws around with my ECU? Who knows. Not going to risk it. You need to know what you are doing when installing this software. Whoever wants it (I didn't test the cable; only got as far as TRYING to install the software) I will sell it to you for $30 shipped (Priority mail; delivery confirmation). Worth a shot....but I am sticking with either the BT Tool or the Peake tool. I am leaning toward the peake tool if the BT Tool is anything like this. PM me if you want it, but I want your check to clear first before sending it out. Oh well, no big deal.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 07:59 AM   #19
davedave1234
Rep
Drives: 135i (on order)

I dont think you can code with the BT or Peak cables though. According to the Coding Succes thread anyway. I could be wrong though. If I were you I would try that cable but use the software recommended in the other thread.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 09:04 AM   #20
bumere90
Grozniy
United_States
Rep
Drives: Carless

I bought the same exact cable from that seller.
The software/drivers that he provided they didn't work on my vista and window 7. It took about 45 days to receive the cable.
Chriztofor, all the cables are the same. You can't do coding with BT tool.
      07-06-2011, 10:11 AM   #21
W.WCherry
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92

I bought a cable that came with a mini cd that was supposed to have the drivers. Tried to install but the cd didn't work.

A forum member sent me this link and got my cable working with my computer/car.

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

Also I believe the coding programs will only work with a 32-bit version of windows (unless you're using XP).
Performance |Dinan Stage 3 Software|Dinan IC|Dinan OC|UUC/Corsa Exhaust|Koni FSD Shocks and Struts|Eibach Spings|Hotchkis Anti Sway Bars|6MT|Style |Aero Lip|Aero Rear|M3 Spoiler|BMW Gloss Black Kidney Grills|BMW Aluminum Pedals|BMW LCI Tail Lights|HID Fog Lights|25%Tint|Advan AVS Model F7 19" Rims|Lux V3 AEs|Premium|Sport|Comfort Access|
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 10:15 AM   #22
axis
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 430i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Update: received the cable and DVD-rom. Tried installing "Daemon" software and my computer went into a restart loop. Did a system restore and that fixed it. Now I am totally shaken by this whole thing. It lost my faith in it. What happens if it screws around with my ECU? Who knows. Not going to risk it. You need to know what you are doing when installing this software. Whoever wants it (I didn't test the cable; only got as far as TRYING to install the software) I will sell it to you for $30 shipped (Priority mail; delivery confirmation). Worth a shot....but I am sticking with either the BT Tool or the Peake tool. I am leaning toward the peake tool if the BT Tool is anything like this. PM me if you want it, but I want your check to clear first before sending it out. Oh well, no big deal.
PM sent
Appreciate 0