E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 330xi Vibration When Coasting

07-23-2015, 11:35 AM   #1
bena1701
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 06 330XI 6MT

330xi Vibration When Coasting

Hi all,

I've started noticing a slight vibration in my 330xi (manual) when coasting on the highway. Its not really a big deal, but it is becoming progressively more noticeable. Vibration goes away when I'm on power. Most of the front end suspension is relatively new (25-30K) and about 5K on the rear end suspension since replacing most of it. About 102K on the car. Wheels are balanced and not bent.

I'm thinking it could be a worn out guibo, but I've heard that's relatively uncommon. Any thoughts? Thank you all in advance.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 11:40 AM   #2
KeepRidingDirty
Professional Monkey Trainer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335xi

I had a vibration when coasting in my 335xi. It also squeaked but only when coasting. The issue was worn front drive shaft joints. When coasting you're not putting tension on the u-joint on the drive shaft so it wiggles back and forth when coasting, then when under accel you're putting twisting tension on it so it can't move back and forth. My guess is the front drive shaft or possibly the rear drive shaft joint.