E90Post

Horizon LED

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Help: car shuts off while coasting!

Today, 02:04 AM   #1
TheAxiom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90 6Spd ZSP

Help: car shuts off while coasting!

Built 11/07
2008 Model
6 speed Manual
Tune
Hacked intake box

Car will shit off at higher speeds of I leave the clutch depressed for too long. It just turns off. You can catch it, and if you let your foot off in time, the car will 'turn back on' bringing the rpms back to idle.

Help, this is pretty scary!
      Today, 02:21 AM   #2
Alihbaloch
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2008 335i, JB4,DCI,BOV,CP

what tune do you have? jb or cob? or something else?
      Today, 02:22 AM   #3
TheAxiom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

N/A OE tuning
Appreciate 0
      Today, 02:35 AM   #4
Alihbaloch
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2008 335i, JB4,DCI,BOV,CP

because i know if you have jb, it will tell you that you are in limp mode, have you tried disconnecting the tune or turning it off and take drive?
i mean it could be several things, maybe your alternator is going out,
      Today, 03:09 AM   #5
mike3000fl
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 06 330i

I think it's just stalling at idle and when you dump the clutch it basically bump starts it.

Question.. you mentioned holding the clutch in at speed when this happens, are you also off the gas pedal at the same time? or are you giving it throttle input?

Last edited by mike3000fl; Today at 03:40 AM.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 08:04 AM   #6
cmg5461
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2008 Deep Green 335xi 6MT

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Sounds like vacuum lines

If if was his alternator, it would be happening when the clutch is engaged/cruising also
Appreciate 0
      Today, 10:41 AM   #7
TheAxiom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3000fl View Post
I think it's just stalling at idle and when you dump the clutch it basically bump starts it.

Question.. you mentioned holding the clutch in at speed when this happens, are you also off the gas pedal at the same time? or are you giving it throttle input?
I'm off the gas at the same time.
      Today, 10:53 AM   #8
MORTON
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 08' 6SPD E90

If you car runs fine while driving down the road, but runs rough or stops running while at a stop the main thing I would start looking for would be a vacuum hose leak.

What is happening is that the fuel/air mixture is off. At idle or lower speed there is more air than fuel being mixed because of the vacuum leak causing the engine to stall out. That is why it runs fine as it warms up because the fuel mixture is richer, as the car warms up the fuel mixture decreases. As you drive the car at normal speeds such as on the freeway, the fuel mixture increases bringing balance to the fuel/air mixture. The vacuum leak in the hose is causing too much air to be added into the fuel/air mixture causing your engine to run lean while at an idle.

To locate the leak get a can of carb cleaner. Have someone help you keep the car running while you squirt the car cleaner around the different vacuum hoses. When you spray a section of hose and hear the engine smooth out or the RPMs increase, that area is your problem. Keep squirting the area until you are able to locate the hose with the leak.

Remove the faulty hose, take it to the auto parts store. Spend about .50 cents on the hose and replace the new one where the old one was. Car should run much better now.

Additional Note: If you take to a shop and they place it on the computer and tell you that the Oxygen sensor is faulty, tell them to check for a vacuum hose leak. The computer will of course report a faulty Oxygen sensor because the vacuum leak is causing the fuel/air mixture to be off.

Hope this helps you out.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...3214539AAJzHkD
Appreciate 0
      Today, 11:52 AM   #9
TheAxiom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORTON View Post
If you car runs fine while driving down the road, but runs rough or stops running while at a stop the main thing I would start looking for would be a vacuum hose leak.

What is happening is that the fuel/air mixture is off. At idle or lower speed there is more air than fuel being mixed because of the vacuum leak causing the engine to stall out. That is why it runs fine as it warms up because the fuel mixture is richer, as the car warms up the fuel mixture decreases. As you drive the car at normal speeds such as on the freeway, the fuel mixture increases bringing balance to the fuel/air mixture. The vacuum leak in the hose is causing too much air to be added into the fuel/air mixture causing your engine to run lean while at an idle.

To locate the leak get a can of carb cleaner. Have someone help you keep the car running while you squirt the car cleaner around the different vacuum hoses. When you spray a section of hose and hear the engine smooth out or the RPMs increase, that area is your problem. Keep squirting the area until you are able to locate the hose with the leak.

Remove the faulty hose, take it to the auto parts store. Spend about .50 cents on the hose and replace the new one where the old one was. Car should run much better now.

Additional Note: If you take to a shop and they place it on the computer and tell you that the Oxygen sensor is faulty, tell them to check for a vacuum hose leak. The computer will of course report a faulty Oxygen sensor because the vacuum leak is causing the fuel/air mixture to be off.

Hope this helps you out.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...3214539AAJzHkD
No codes, and the car seems to idle fine. It is down on power though (which I think is because of the Eccentric Shaft sensor)