E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Non Sport Suspension lasts longer than Sport Versions?

05-25-2016, 01:34 AM   #1
ducatiti
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325i

Non Sport Suspension lasts longer than Sport Versions?

Per the subject line, do the non sport struts/shocks last longer than cars with a sport package? Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 01:56 AM   #2
roundle
EXPAT
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2011 328iT (US-Spec, 6MT, ZSP)

I do not have a basis for comparison as I have only owned 'sport'.

I have had my car since new. And my US-SPEC ZSP (sports package) suspension started to feel soft and 'busy' at around 95K miles. And this is on very smooth, western European roads. I am now at 112K with the original suspension; while there's still some level of damping, the car's ready for some rejuvenation--Bilstein B12 Pro perhaps?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 10:57 AM   #3
fravel
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

I doubt there is anything that is inherent to the design that would make one version last longer than the other, however the driving habits of the people that purchased the car would. In that sense, I would expect that sport-package cars typically need a suspension refresh earlier than non-sport cars because I would expect sport-package purchasers to drive a little bit harder. Those people are also going to be more in tune with their cars, so they may also perceive a need for a refresh earlier than your standard commuter.

Last edited by fravel; 05-25-2016 at 11:37 AM.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 11:18 AM   #4
NiNeTyOne
Touring cars rock
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e91 Alpine

Dampers wear out quickly, more so if you live in a place where the streets are shite.

My Ohlins TTX dampers on my last car needed rebuilding every 15,000 miles, and were essentially full blown race suspension. The Sachs dampers that came with the car were crap at 10,000 and totally shot by 30k.

I've had Koni's last 50k but that's about as long as I've ever seen a shock last and still actually do anything.
      05-25-2016, 11:33 AM   #5
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by fravel View Post
I doubt there is anything that is inherent to the design that would make one version last longer than the other, however the driving habits of the people that purchased the car would. ...
I would agree with this. It's hard to say from my experience, since it encompasses several models over 25 years. All of them needed some sort of refresh of the suspension - notably CABs and control-arm bushings - at 100K miles or so. I did my E46 330xi at 110K, and they were just getting to the point of needing replacement. My current E90 335d is at 109K and seems to be ok, although I'll be looking more closely at it. Our older E34 525i needed them around 125K.

Except for my 335d, none of them were sport package. I would note that the 330xi, as it had the taller AWD suspension, seemed to need attention earlier - the rear springs were notorious for early failure before 100K. I would speculate that the taller springs and more travel due to height wears things out earlier on the xDrive cars. I'll be interested to see how my wife's 328xd suspension ages.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 02:09 PM   #6
NiNeTyOne
Touring cars rock
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e91 Alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
I would speculate that the taller springs and more travel due to height wears things out earlier on the xDrive cars. I'll be interested to see how my wife's 328xd suspension ages.
I would agree with this. My rear springs on the Xi were shot at 100k after the second set of dampers came out. They got replaced my Eibach Pro's which are just as comfortable as the OE springs but improve the rake a bit.

Springs are actually fairly cheap for a good set of Eibach's so it's a worthwhile thought once you're there. The rear install is 5 extra minutes when you do shocks, and the front's all come out anyway so it's no extra effort there.
      07-02-2016, 02:34 PM   #7
ducatiti
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325i

I always thought that with the sport suspension that the shocks would not last longer because of the shorter springs that would eventually stress the struts/shocks more.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 07:14 PM   #8
KNS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 128i and Porsche

The stiffer suspension is going to put a bit more shock and stress on the rest of the components (ball joints, bushings, etc) as there is less "give" going through the entire system - everything between the tires and the body of the car.

I believe there is a statement in my E46 owner's manual that says the sport suspension will be less forgiving and to expect more wear and tear.

Imagine a 50 series tire compared to 35 series tire along with less compliant sport shocks and struts. It all adds up.
Appreciate 0