E90Post
 


Horizon LED
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Please Help If You Can



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-01-2011, 02:50 PM   #45
collegeguy60
Private
collegeguy60's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
71
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i E90
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Kansas City Missouri

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Thanks, How much were just the parts without labor? Did it fix your problem?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 02:59 PM   #46
SHATX
baby chicken eater
SHATX's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
425
Posts

 
Drives: 07 E90 335i - 08 3.0si coupe
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [5.00]
New Fuse Box $180 and New B+ cable (runs from Battery to back of fuse box to fee power to interior distribution $123. The labor is the biggie - its not hard but very tedious and you have to completely remove the existing cable from the main harness all the way to the trunk and pull the seats out to do so. Plus the Fuse box have tp be replaced so un-install and thne re-install the new fuse box. i ahve attacehd all the documents about this - one is the BMW SIB and the other is the actually install guide
Attached Images
File Type: pdf B610811_Attachment.pdf (363.1 KB, 1745 views)
File Type: pdf BMW SI B61 08 11.pdf (176.6 KB, 1540 views)
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 08:17 PM   #47
collegeguy60
Private
collegeguy60's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
71
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i E90
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Kansas City Missouri

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
thanks so much for the info and help...so after you did all this it never acted up again?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 10:15 PM   #48
SHATX
baby chicken eater
SHATX's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
425
Posts

 
Drives: 07 E90 335i - 08 3.0si coupe
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [5.00]
Yes it solved the issue. But i also tested the theory for two weeks before doing the replacement to make sure that I had the correct diagnoses.
__________________
Too Long to list...

I eat M3's and Baby Chickens for Breakfast. How bout you?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 11:26 PM   #49
collegeguy60
Private
collegeguy60's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
71
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i E90
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Kansas City Missouri

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
They are actually going to begin working on my car tomorrow at the bmw dealership... Im going to email those forms you sent to me to my service advisor. Thanks so much again! I hope this solves my problem. What is that actual paperwork from? It looked BMW official... Just was wondering where you received this from.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 11:54 PM   #50
bmwpride335i
Major
United_States
23
Rep
1,412
Posts

 
Drives: 07 SUPERCHARGED 680HP VETTE
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (1)

OP, is your car CPO? I wonder if that is covered by cpo warranty.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 07:31 AM   #51
SHATX
baby chicken eater
SHATX's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
425
Posts

 
Drives: 07 E90 335i - 08 3.0si coupe
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy60 View Post
They are actually going to begin working on my car tomorrow at the bmw dealership... Im going to email those forms you sent to me to my service advisor. Thanks so much again! I hope this solves my problem. What is that actual paperwork from? It looked BMW official... Just was wondering where you received this from.
I paid for a BMW TIS membership and I found the docs and info in their service bulletins. After another member who is a BMW tech pointed me to the problem after he saw a car with the same problem come into his shop in Houston.
__________________
Too Long to list...

I eat M3's and Baby Chickens for Breakfast. How bout you?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 07:33 AM   #52
SHATX
baby chicken eater
SHATX's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
425
Posts

 
Drives: 07 E90 335i - 08 3.0si coupe
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwpride335i View Post
OP, is your car CPO? I wonder if that is covered by cpo warranty.
Unfortunately my cars was out of warranty 8k miles ago. So no warranty for me.
__________________
Too Long to list...

I eat M3's and Baby Chickens for Breakfast. How bout you?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 02:00 PM   #53
Stinger
Major
Stinger's Avatar
United_States
33
Rep
1,039
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i Convertible
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Southern California

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2007 335i E93  [3.50]
1993 318is  [0.00]
1996 Z3 1.9  [0.00]
This just happened to me last night. Thanks for all the info. My god the labor on this thing is a killer. I'm off to go to my service guy and I just fell out of warranty less than a month ago. FML.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 02:11 PM   #54
SHATX
baby chicken eater
SHATX's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
425
Posts

 
Drives: 07 E90 335i - 08 3.0si coupe
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
This just happened to me last night. Thanks for all the info. My god the labor on this thing is a killer. I'm off to go to my service guy and I just fell out of warranty less than a month ago. FML.
Sorry to hear man you can actually open the glove box remove the fuse box cover and reach around the passenger side of the fuse box. you will feel the "0" ("ought") gauge power cable coming in behind the fuse box. wiggle it towards the fuse box a few times the you will hear the JBE power up and ACC power will work. You can then start the car and drive. it will drive fine once started just don't turn the car off or you will have to do the whole process over again to get it restarted. maybe they should make this a sticky or something. It took me 2 months to gather and trace down the issue to insure accuracy and i would not wish my pain and suffering on anyone (trouble shooting in my drive way in 105* Texas heat. It was one of the biggest nightmares i have ever gone through. I have a feeling this is about to become a huge reoccurring issue with 07's and then 08's.

hit me up if you need help.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 10:20 PM   #55
collegeguy60
Private
collegeguy60's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
71
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i E90
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Kansas City Missouri

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
***UPDATE ON MY END****

My car has been going through the same problems as you might have read. I had the car towed to BMW and they ran test and told me everything was ok. They put a new battery in it and said everything worked perfect. This cost me around $475 with the new battery and service work. I told my service advisor that I did not think it was just the battery though but he convinced me that it was. The car did drive good for about a week or two perfect.

Now to today: Im in the car at a friends and park out front and my car just shuts off with no warning. So I immediately put the car in park and try to start it again and it started and then randomly shut off again. Shutting off all power like before. Nothing in the car worked eclectically just like before at the gas pump except this time the car was running and then just shut off on it's own. I sat there not being able to start it lock my doors or anything just like before at the gas pump. I let the car sit for a bit and go to start it and it acts completely fine. Drive it to my house and turn it off and go to lock my doors... NOTHING AGAIN. The electrical system is GONE AGAIN... Im planning on getting the car towed to BMW again tomorrow and printing off this forum and the service forms that are posted on here.

It makes me wonder if my old battery was even bad at all. I took it into Autozone, Orileys, and one other car shop that just worked on higher end cars like it and they all said that the battery was fine but BMW puts a new one in anyways... Its all a little off to me why they would even put a new one in when it read a good battery at the other places..

I will keep you all updated to see if its this wire by the fuse box like the rest of you all are saying it is.

Last edited by collegeguy60; 08-10-2011 at 10:30 PM.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 02:47 PM   #56
SHATX
baby chicken eater
SHATX's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
425
Posts

 
Drives: 07 E90 335i - 08 3.0si coupe
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy60 View Post
***UPDATE ON MY END****

My car has been going through the same problems as you might have read. I had the car towed to BMW and they ran test and told me everything was ok. They put a new battery in it and said everything worked perfect. This cost me around $475 with the new battery and service work. I told my service advisor that I did not think it was just the battery though but he convinced me that it was. The car did drive good for about a week or two perfect.

Now to today: Im in the car at a friends and park out front and my car just shuts off with no warning. So I immediately put the car in park and try to start it again and it started and then randomly shut off again. Shutting off all power like before. Nothing in the car worked eclectically just like before at the gas pump except this time the car was running and then just shut off on it's own. I sat there not being able to start it lock my doors or anything just like before at the gas pump. I let the car sit for a bit and go to start it and it acts completely fine. Drive it to my house and turn it off and go to lock my doors... NOTHING AGAIN. The electrical system is GONE AGAIN... Im planning on getting the car towed to BMW again tomorrow and printing off this forum and the service forms that are posted on here.

It makes me wonder if my old battery was even bad at all. I took it into Autozone, Orileys, and one other car shop that just worked on higher end cars like it and they all said that the battery was fine but BMW puts a new one in anyways... Its all a little off to me why they would even put a new one in when it read a good battery at the other places..

I will keep you all updated to see if its this wire by the fuse box like the rest of you all are saying it is.

the biggest issue with the fuse box and B+ connection issue is that it is only traceable when it happens and you have to touch the back of the fuse box to make the power come back. (the issue is where the power feed cable plugs intot eh back of the fuse box not the cable itself.) this is really the only way confirm that it is the issue. this why i took glove box out and drove around for a 2 weeks with my fuse box exposed. every time i had a power loss i touched the back of the connection the car fired right up

i have heard so many stories about the cars working fine at the dealerships and then getting home a week later when it happens to loose power again.

and BMW isn't going to go through all the labor to fix it if they think it is as easy as a battery. hence why so many owners end up with multiple trips to service dept and weeks of an unresolved issue.

I am going to try to post a step by step DIY for this this weekend to help everyone. it is so easy to fix and the parts on cost $300 form Tischer.

i have a busy weekend of installing my M air-ducts for my fog-light delete and once i am done, i will go step by step through the fuse box issue with pics to help everyone.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 03:50 PM   #57
3Coupe4Me
Private First Class
3Coupe4Me's Avatar
7
Rep
167
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 328i Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: S.FL

iTrader: (1)

SHATX you have provided some great info here, thanks. One quick question though, once you removed the cable and the old fuse box did it look like it was repairable at all?

Thanks.
__________________
-------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 04:07 PM   #58
SHATX
baby chicken eater
SHATX's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
425
Posts

 
Drives: 07 E90 335i - 08 3.0si coupe
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Coupe4Me View Post
SHATX you have provided some great info here, thanks. One quick question though, once you removed the cable and the old fuse box did it look like it was repairable at all?

Thanks.
Hi 3Coupe4Me - unfortunately it is not repairable at all. The issue with the connection is buried in the fuse box itself by the time you tore open the fuse box tried to remedy the issue you could have order a new one for $120 and be 100% sure of no remaining issue. Ill take some pics this weekend and it will really help to show exactly where the problem lies. But i was able to short cut the re-running of the main battery cable through the harness and it makes it so easy. honestly the hardest part this DIY is getting to one of the screws in the fuse box in order to remove it, but i will show everyone how to do it in less than 2 hrs start to finish.

2hrs and $280 in parts is not bad compared to BMW's $3000 for non warranty cars :-)
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 09:22 PM   #59
3Coupe4Me
Private First Class
3Coupe4Me's Avatar
7
Rep
167
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 328i Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: S.FL

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHATX View Post
Hi 3Coupe4Me - unfortunately it is not repairable at all. The issue with the connection is buried in the fuse box itself by the time you tore open the fuse box tried to remedy the issue you could have order a new one for $120 and be 100% sure of no remaining issue. Ill take some pics this weekend and it will really help to show exactly where the problem lies. But i was able to short cut the re-running of the main battery cable through the harness and it makes it so easy. honestly the hardest part this DIY is getting to one of the screws in the fuse box in order to remove it, but i will show everyone how to do it in less than 2 hrs start to finish.

2hrs and $280 in parts is not bad compared to BMW's $3000 for non warranty cars :-)
Looking forward to the pics
__________________
-------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 03:12 AM   #60
collegeguy60
Private
collegeguy60's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
71
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i E90
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Kansas City Missouri

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
***UPDATE again***

I took the glove box off and I had a red wire that ran into it... JUST GIVE IT A LITTLE WIGGLE.. like you were saying... and it starts right on up. So I now knew this was my issue too. Took the service attachments to BMW telling them EXACTLY the problem again. Like I told them in the first place this time going outside and actually wiggling the wire in front of them to show them the problem in the parking lot.

They are fixing it and Im suppose to get my car back today.

FYI--- I got my car from BMW it was a Certified Pre Owned up till 100k and it covered all the warranty work. I even talked to them about putting a new battery and the unnecessary trips I had to make with the innocence of getting tow trucks and having it die over and over. SO they ended up covering it all in full with out making me pay any of the CPO deductible. They also gave me the free loaner for a week while mine was getting fixed and they threw in a free oil change for the inconvenience.

I got a new battery/oil change/loner car for a week/and my wire fixed for 470. I was fine with it. My car is a 2007 with original battery, Im sure it would need a new one here at some point anyway. I just saw it as it could have been a lot worse telling me that it was not covered under warranty or something costing the 3000$..


Hoping to go pick up my car tomorrow =)
Just happy to make it out relatively cheaply
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 03:14 AM   #61
collegeguy60
Private
collegeguy60's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
71
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i E90
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Kansas City Missouri

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Shatx, thanks for all the helpful info and answering my questions... Im sure this will help a lot of people.

=)
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 09:19 AM   #62
SHATX
baby chicken eater
SHATX's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
425
Posts

 
Drives: 07 E90 335i - 08 3.0si coupe
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy60 View Post
Shatx, thanks for all the helpful info and answering my questions... Im sure this will help a lot of people.

=)
Happy I could help

I also completed a step by step DIY with pics this weekend. Lots of pics (70 LOL). I will do the narration of the steps this week and get it posted for those that are out of warranty and want to save $3000.
__________________
Too Long to list...

I eat M3's and Baby Chickens for Breakfast. How bout you?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 10:17 AM   #63
mishenka
Private First Class
6
Rep
161
Posts

 
Drives: 328i
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: upstate NY

iTrader: (0)

SHATX - THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! This morning I jumped in the car and realized that it is dead. Totally dead. Immediately I remembered that just recently, a few weeks ago, I read something similar here. But the first thing I did is I called bmw-assist. The tow truck was on the way.

While waiting for it and hating the idea of my car being towed I started to search for this post. After carefully reading it I went outside to my car, opened the cover to get access to the fuse box, touched and moved the wires a bit -MAGIC - car got resurrected 30 seconds later a call from the tow truck driver asking for directions I obviously canceled and drove to the dealership on my own.

SHATX, if not for your trouble that you went initially through and if not for you posting all this info I would end up with my car being towed and we all know how it goes most of the times.

I printed out the service bulletin and gave it to the SA once I arrived at the dealership. Hope they fix the problem. I will keep you guys posted.
__________________
2008 328i, Black/Black, Steptronic
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 10:19 AM   #64
SHATX
baby chicken eater
SHATX's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
425
Posts

 
Drives: 07 E90 335i - 08 3.0si coupe
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishenka View Post
SHATX - THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! This morning I jumped in the car and realized that it is dead. Totally dead. Immediately I remembered that just recently, a few weeks ago, I read something similar here. But the first thing I did is I called bmw-assist. The tow truck was on the way.

While waiting for it and hating the idea of my car being towed I started to search for this post. After carefully reading it I went outside to my car, opened the cover to get access to the fuse box, touched and moved the wires a bit -MAGIC - car got resurrected 30 seconds later a call from the tow truck driver asking for directions I obviously canceled and drove to the dealership on my own.

SHATX, if not for your trouble that you went initially through and if not for you posting all this info I would end up with my car being towed and we all know how it goes most of the times.

I printed out the service bulletin and gave it to the SA once I arrived at the dealership. Hope they fix the problem. I will keep you guys posted.
Sorry hear about your trouble - but so happy i could help let me know how it goes for you.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 02:55 PM   #65
hnekcivic
Private
hnekcivic's Avatar
2
Rep
97
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 328xi
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: kansas city, mo

iTrader: (0)

im waiting to see your DYI and pics!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 02:56 PM   #66
SHATX
baby chicken eater
SHATX's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
425
Posts

 
Drives: 07 E90 335i - 08 3.0si coupe
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnekcivic View Post
im waiting to see your DYI and pics!
Sorry but i have not had time to resize all the images and get the narration done

been slammed at the office
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:19 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST