E90Post

Extreme Power House

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > AA tune review and hat tip to Lutz Performance

06-26-2011, 04:18 PM   #1
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep

Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
AA tune review and hat tip to Lutz Performance

I had the AA tune for 328i E9X installed last week at Lutz Performance in Tampa. LP is an authorized Active Autowerke dealer and sponsor on this site.

Andrew at Lutz Performance was very helpful, fielding my questions, getting me comfortable with the process, and performing the install.

Since I was a new customer, I received a discount off the $499 list. Overall, a very good experience and I would recommend them for this tune. Thank you, Andrew and Lutz Performance!

Now for the AA tune. Bottom line, Iím very happy with it.

One way to describe the change in performance, at least for those of you in warm climates: since I live in Florida, driving in the summer means running the AC almost all the time. The ambient air temp is at least 90 degrees. In the winter, no AC is necessary and the ambient air temp may range from 30 to 70 degrees. Therefore, you can imagine that I like driving my car more in the winter than the summer as it struggles in the summer (comparatively speaking).

The afternoon I picked up my car, it was 97 degrees outside. Instead of its normal summer sluggishness, it felt as though I was driving my car in winter temps, only better. The AC was on, it was really hot outside, yet the car did not seem to notice.

Greatly improved throttle response and power increase, for sure, no placebo effect going on here. Itís not a 335i but itís definitely better that itís previous stock condition.

Before the tune, one concern I had was gas mileage could get hurt. I decided to calibrate my car, picking a 10 mile route, running the car on cruise and noting the ac settings and ambient temp. At an indicated 60 mph and 93 degrees temp, my car achieved 34 mpg. After the tune, I ran the same route, with same ac settings, cruise, and 60 mpg. This time the temp was 96 degrees. The result was 33.6 mpg, or one notch lower on the carís computer. I also did a 10 mile stretch at 70 mph and achieved 31.5 mpg, but did not calibrate my car at this speed before the tune. Given all of this, Iím inclined to think there is no real change in mpg, at least at constant highway speed.

Now, to be realistic, my overall mileage may end up lower, but only because the car is more fun to drive and fun driving may lead to higher gas consumption.

There have been some comments on this site about the tune smoothing out auto transmission shifts. Iím inclined to agree, overall. In sport mode, this is particularly true for higher gear downshifts, but not so true for 3rd to second.

Overall, I think itís a super mod, particularly in my situation: out of warranty, planning on keeping the car for a while. A better upgrade would be a 335i which I would love, but that would be another 5-8k out of pocket and I canít go there today. Instead, for the cost of the sales tax on such a trade I was able to buy this tune. Heck itís probably less than one yearís increase in insurance on a 335i.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 10:40 AM   #2
SV Concepts II
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90 M3

Glad to hear you are happy with the tune! Thanks for the review.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 10:45 AM   #3
speedfan
Major
Vietnam
Rep

Drives: BMW

Can I have Andrew's email please?
Wonder if he's willing to help out an overseas customer...
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 11:58 AM   #4
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfan View Post
Can I have Andrew's email please?
Wonder if he's willing to help out an overseas customer...
his email is: Andrew@lutzperfauto.net
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 12:37 PM   #5
Volasko
Major
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2006 E90 330i BSM 6MT ZSP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlifxs View Post
Now, to be realistic, my overall mileage may end up lower, but only because the car is more fun to drive and fun driving may lead to higher gas consumption.
I am on my first tank of gas since my tune kicked and I am getting horrible fuel economy.... only because I have been having too much fun!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 02:14 PM   #6
speedfan
Major
Vietnam
Rep

Quote:
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 09:34 AM   #7
Andrew@LutzPerformance
United_States
Rep

Drives: 1995 M3 GT35R

Send a message via AIM to Andrew@LutzPerformance
Thanks again for the visit Bill!

Glad you are happy with the tune

Anyone else interested please feel free to call/email/pm!

Phone: 813-949-3540 ext 101
Email: Andrew@lutzperfauto.net
PM: Andrew@lutzperformance
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 03:56 PM   #8
Omar@ActiveAutowerke
Rep

Drives: E92 M3

Glad to hear you are happy, enjoy in good health!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 04:08 PM   #9
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar@ActiveAutowerke View Post
thanks, I'm having fun driving my "new car"
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 09:34 AM   #10
AKF12
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi 4DR Sedan

AA tune in Michigan!

Omar,

How can I get an AA tune in Michigan?
I heard that it's offered in Toronto but more expensive.

Someone should know!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar@ActiveAutowerke View Post
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 09:00 PM   #11
kierbmw
Private
United_States
Rep

Drives: black sapphire metallic

Hi, im interested with this tune as well. I live in new jersey, any dealer/shop that does it around the tri- state area? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 03:03 PM   #12
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kierbmw View Post
Hi, im interested with this tune as well. I live in new jersey, any dealer/shop that does it around the tri- state area? Thanks
check out this link
http://www.activeautowerke.com/dealers.php

I think dealers highlighted in red can install software...no NJ shown but Philly and Nassau NY.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 09:09 PM   #13
kierbmw
Private
United_States
Rep

Drives: black sapphire metallic

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kierbmw View Post
check out this link
http://www.activeautowerke.com/dealers.php

I think dealers highlighted in red can install software...no NJ shown but Philly and Nassau NY.

Thanks. Any contact person from this forum we can get a discount from?
Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2011, 07:51 PM   #14
speedfan
Major
Vietnam
Rep

I've sent Andrew 2 emails, AA 2 emails, ESS 2 emails. No luck so far :-(
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 09:02 AM   #15
micano
Private
United_States
Rep

Drives: 330 JB, 6MT,ZPP, ZSP, Nav, AA

Active Autoworke NA tune

My e9x brothers (and sisters),
I just had the AA tune on my 06 e90 330 at SpeedSport tuning in Danbury,CT.
Very convenient for me. Drop off car and they do the work in a day no pulling the ECU and sending it off. I worked with Robin, he was very good in handling all my questions. Got the car back a few days ago and already I am seeing a much smoother ride. 2nd gear starts (from a roll) are much improved, the roughness and transition in the intake is smoother. I have a magnalfow muffler and the exhaust note sounds a little different, better. MPG right now is .5 a gallon higher. Time will tell with the MPG. But for $399 this is a great mod!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 09:04 AM   #16
Omar@ActiveAutowerke
Rep

Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by micano View Post
My e9x brothers (and sisters),
I just had the AA tune on my 06 e90 330 at SpeedSport tuning in Danbury,CT.
Very convenient for me. Drop off car and they do the work in a day no pulling the ECU and sending it off. I worked with Robin, he was very good in handling all my questions. Got the car back a few days ago and already I am seeing a much smoother ride. 2nd gear starts (from a roll) are much improved, the roughness and transition in the intake is smoother. I have a magnalfow muffler and the exhaust note sounds a little different, better. MPG right now is .5 a gallon higher. Time will tell with the MPG. But for $399 this is a great mod!
Congrats,

Good to hear, enjoy in good health.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 07:48 AM   #17
cdgatti
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: e90 328i

Quote:
I had the AA tune for 328i E9X installed last week at Lutz Performance in Tampa. LP is an authorized Active Autowerke dealer and sponsor on this site.

Andrew at Lutz Performance was very helpful, fielding my questions, getting me comfortable with the process, and performing the install.

Since I was a new customer, I received a discount off the $499 list. Overall, a very good experience and I would recommend them for this tune. Thank you, Andrew and Lutz Performance!

Now for the AA tune. Bottom line, Iím very happy with it.

One way to describe the change in performance, at least for those of you in warm climates: since I live in Florida, driving in the summer means running the AC almost all the time. The ambient air temp is at least 90 degrees. In the winter, no AC is necessary and the ambient air temp may range from 30 to 70 degrees. Therefore, you can imagine that I like driving my car more in the winter than the summer as it struggles in the summer (comparatively speaking).

The afternoon I picked up my car, it was 97 degrees outside. Instead of its normal summer sluggishness, it felt as though I was driving my car in winter temps, only better. The AC was on, it was really hot outside, yet the car did not seem to notice.

Greatly improved throttle response and power increase, for sure, no placebo effect going on here. Itís not a 335i but itís definitely better that itís previous stock condition.

Before the tune, one concern I had was gas mileage could get hurt. I decided to calibrate my car, picking a 10 mile route, running the car on cruise and noting the ac settings and ambient temp. At an indicated 60 mph and 93 degrees temp, my car achieved 34 mpg. After the tune, I ran the same route, with same ac settings, cruise, and 60 mpg. This time the temp was 96 degrees. The result was 33.6 mpg, or one notch lower on the carís computer. I also did a 10 mile stretch at 70 mph and achieved 31.5 mpg, but did not calibrate my car at this speed before the tune. Given all of this, Iím inclined to think there is no real change in mpg, at least at constant highway speed.

There have been some comments on this site about the tune smoothing out auto transmission shifts. Iím inclined to agree, overall. In sport mode, this is particularly true for higher gear downshifts, but not so true for 3rd to second.

Overall, I think itís a super mod, particularly in my situation: out of warranty, planning on keeping the car for a while. A better upgrade would be a 335i which I would love, but that would be another 5-8k out of pocket and I canít go there today. Instead, for the cost of the sales tax on such a trade I was able to buy this tune. Heck itís probably less than one yearís increase in insurance on a 335i.
Are you still feeling the improvement?? I ask because I can get a similar feeling to what you describe just by taking my negative battery cable off for a few minutes resetting things, but after several drives the throttle response returns back to sluggish. Why oh why does BMW do this???? This fact PLUS how responsive the car is in DS proves that the car is capable of pretty zippy performance, why do they program it to dumb itself down over time? Very frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 07:55 AM   #18
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
Are you still feeling the improvement?? I ask because I can get a similar feeling to what you describe just by taking my negative battery cable off for a few minutes resetting things, but after several drives the throttle response returns back to sluggish. Why oh why does BMW do this???? This fact PLUS how responsive the car is in DS proves that the car is capable of pretty zippy performance, why do they program it to dumb itself down over time? Very frustrating.
Yes, throttle response and power improvement is still there. I have about 2k miles on the car since the tune, still very happy with it.
Appreciate 0