E90Post
 


Lux Angel Eyes
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > cracked subframe



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-29-2011, 02:39 PM   #23
purquh1
New Member
 
Drives: 2009 335ci
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York

Posts: 17
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drocay View Post
I would agree, as I hit nothing I'd consider major and i didnt bend any wheels, BUT I found out 3 of my factory wheels were cracked and I 100% blame the RFTs.
It is very easy to bend and crack rims with RTF - the rims are not heated treated and the inner tube of the tire doesnt absorb shock,.
purquh1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-29-2011, 04:23 PM   #24
purquh1
New Member
 
Drives: 2009 335ci
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York

Posts: 17
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmertt View Post
I think most of us understand potholes. I live in the dc metro area and I've hit potholes that would crack in half all of these cheap reps people run on their BMWs. I have yet to bend the OEM wheels w/ RFTs. I have absolutely no idea what I would have to hit in order bend an OEM wheel, lower camber arm, upper toe arm, and crack the rear subframe.
DC roads have nothing on NYC - in addition... MANY MANY ppl have bent rims / tires in this region, just speak to the dealers or users in the area they will tell you.
purquh1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-29-2011, 05:44 PM   #25
JunkStory
Major
 
Drives: naked.
Join Date: May 2008
Location: 98230

Posts: 1,177
iTrader: (3)

Out of curiosity, are you running 18's or 19's?

Earlier this year, I hit a pretty huge pot hole that spanned the entire lane (so all four wheels went straight into this god damn thing) at 40-50 mph. The impact was huge - one could almost get a whiplash from it. Luckily I was using my 17" wheels + non-RFT snow tires with lots of cusion. Otherwise, my OEM rims would most likely cracked or bend, and sustaining damage to the suspension or frame.
JunkStory is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-29-2011, 05:52 PM   #26
purquh1
New Member
 
Drives: 2009 335ci
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York

Posts: 17
iTrader: (0)

Its the mounting point on the right side. The weld broke
purquh1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-29-2011, 05:55 PM   #27
purquh1
New Member
 
Drives: 2009 335ci
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York

Posts: 17
iTrader: (0)

Thx for ur advice. I have contacted an attorney.
purquh1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-29-2011, 05:56 PM   #28
purquh1
New Member
 
Drives: 2009 335ci
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York

Posts: 17
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
Call BMWNA and ask nicely. If that doesn't work, ask a lawyer to write them a letter. I know a dozen people who've had claims denied by dealers but got their cars fixed by contacting the manufacturer.
Thx for your advice. I hv contacted an attorney.
purquh1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2011, 08:42 AM   #29
purquh1
New Member
 
Drives: 2009 335ci
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York

Posts: 17
iTrader: (0)

I have 17" OEM RFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkStory View Post
Out of curiosity, are you running 18's or 19's?

Earlier this year, I hit a pretty huge pot hole that spanned the entire lane (so all four wheels went straight into this god damn thing) at 40-50 mph. The impact was huge - one could almost get a whiplash from it. Luckily I was using my 17" wheels non-RFT snow tires with lots of cusion. Otherwise, my OEM rims would most likely cracked or bend, and sustaining damage to the suspension or frame.
purquh1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2011, 09:27 AM   #30
Autobahn335i
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Autobahn335i's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Luxembourg

Posts: 1,599
iTrader: (5)

Why should BMW warranty cover damage that is definitely related to impacts? If you don't want to worry about potholes get a Hummer, or an M1 Abrams...
__________________
Performance Seats, Exhaust, Splitters, Pedals, Steering Wheel / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / Forge FMIC / Quaife LSD / Íhlins Road & Track / M3 Suspension Parts / Powerflex Bushings / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Racing Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR DPs / Alpina TCU / COBB Pro-Tune
Autobahn335i is online now   Luxembourg
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2011, 10:50 AM   #31
swifty
Major
 
Drives: FO M3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: canada

Posts: 1,251
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahn335i View Post
Why should BMW warranty cover damage that is definitely related to impacts? If you don't want to worry about potholes get a Hummer, or an M1 Abrams...
You don't think BMW should cover something like a weld cracking over a pothole on a 2 year old car on stock rims / suspension? Bmw did accept responsibility on e46 M3s with the same issue.

It's bad enough that we have to pay for rims cracking due to runflats etc but we shouldn't have to accept responsibility for something like this.
swifty is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2011, 02:47 PM   #32
ano0oj
Private First Class
 
Drives: '10 6MT 335i
Join Date: May 2009
Location: houston

Posts: 191
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by purquh1 View Post
Anyword on your car in Houston? this is obviously an issue for more than people in NYC -
Fixed under warranty...should be getting the car back today!
ano0oj is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-03-2011, 12:07 AM   #33
itsbrokeagain
 
itsbrokeagain's Avatar
 
Drives: E28 535, 1996 Dodge Ram Diesel
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Valley Stream, NY

Posts: 15,737
iTrader: (7)

Send a message via AIM to itsbrokeagain
Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
First of all, whoever is callin the OP out for his driving habits should go see how difficult it is to avoid potholes in NY. It's ridiculous and chances are you are bound to hit somebody if you do try to miss 'em. Furthermore, it's Bmw's problem if a car that is only 2 years old, can't withstand the roads of NY.

I do think getting rid of runflats will greatly help our cars. However, the subframe mounting points were an issue with the e46 M3s too (not sure of the 330s etc) so it's not like this is something random for Bmws. And they did issue a recall to fix this on those models. If I member correctly, member "cambertoe" in Jersey had a client recently with similar issues.


If you are referring to me, yes we had rear suspension issues on a customers car, but it was the rear shock tower mount that cracked at the seam weld where the shock goes through the body. The previous shop left the Koni yellows set to full soft with lowering springs, and combined with NYC roads and BBS CH wheels, it blew the shocks out after 2 years and the cracked the mount. Mark Chen is the guys name. I was able to weld it back together which fixed the issue.


I have yet to see a subframe crack though, if you could take some pics that would be quite helpful....just soI know what to look for, since Our shop is on Long Island...
itsbrokeagain is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2011, 02:59 PM   #34
purquh1
New Member
 
Drives: 2009 335ci
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York

Posts: 17
iTrader: (0)

Anyway I can't get the name of the dealership and see if I can persuade my local dealership? Was the damage caused by a pothole?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ano0oj View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by purquh1 View Post
Anyword on your car in Houston? this is obviously an issue for more than people in NYC -
Fixed under warranty...should be getting the car back today!
purquh1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2011, 03:02 PM   #35
purquh1
New Member
 
Drives: 2009 335ci
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York

Posts: 17
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ano0oj View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by purquh1 View Post
Anyword on your car in Houston? this is obviously an issue for more than people in NYC -
Fixed under warranty...should be getting the car back today!
My email is klein10@yahoo.com
purquh1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-08-2011, 10:14 AM   #36
purquh1
New Member
 
Drives: 2009 335ci
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York

Posts: 17
iTrader: (0)

Hi Do you have an email address? Where is your shop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
First of all, whoever is callin the OP out for his driving habits should go see how difficult it is to avoid potholes in NY. It's ridiculous and chances are you are bound to hit somebody if you do try to miss 'em. Furthermore, it's Bmw's problem if a car that is only 2 years old, can't withstand the roads of NY.

I do think getting rid of runflats will greatly help our cars. However, the subframe mounting points were an issue with the e46 M3s too (not sure of the 330s etc) so it's not like this is something random for Bmws. And they did issue a recall to fix this on those models. If I member correctly, member "cambertoe" in Jersey had a client recently with similar issues.


If you are referring to me, yes we had rear suspension issues on a customers car, but it was the rear shock tower mount that cracked at the seam weld where the shock goes through the body. The previous shop left the Koni yellows set to full soft with lowering springs, and combined with NYC roads and BBS CH wheels, it blew the shocks out after 2 years and the cracked the mount. Mark Chen is the guys name. I was able to weld it back together which fixed the issue.


I have yet to see a subframe crack though, if you could take some pics that would be quite helpful....just soI know what to look for, since Our shop is on Long Island...
purquh1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
335, sub-frame, subframe

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:57 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST