E90Post
 


TNT Racewerks
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Why pre-LCI 335s don't have LED angel eyes?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-07-2014, 05:37 AM   #1
walmark
Apprentice
 
walmark's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i e93 '08 sport
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NoVa

Posts: 239
iTrader: (2)

Why pre-LCI 335s don't have LED angel eyes?

Seriously, why? We have LED clusters, LED tailights, LED door handle illumination. And yet the angel eyes are based on the convoluted system of fragile tubes to carry light around from a halogen bulb. Why not just simply LED? Surely it wasn't the cost, but then why not?
walmark is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-07-2014, 06:44 AM   #2
RaceTruk
Captain
 
Drives: X5 35xdrive
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: New York

Posts: 600
iTrader: (1)

Why doesn't the older model have something that wasn't designed yet?
This is a retarded question.
You should go one more step and ask why the low beam lights aren't LED on prelci like they are an option on the newest bmw models.
RaceTruk is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-07-2014, 06:51 AM   #3
JesseJames
Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90 320d
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Suffolk

Posts: 414
iTrader: (0)

Why is water wet ?
JesseJames is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-07-2014, 07:27 AM   #4
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
 
Drives: 2009 e90 2011 f10
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Clifton Park, NY

Posts: 3,078
iTrader: (0)

why didnt the e30 have a retractable hardtop?
__________________

2009 MBM 328| ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | CA | 6FL | NAV | XENONS | 18x8.5 VB3s ET30/25
2011 Jet Black 535i xdrive | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | 6FL | NAV | 331s Square
wdeerfield is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-07-2014, 08:41 AM   #5
Dylanize
Captain Dutch Rudder
 
Dylanize's Avatar
 
Drives: 07' E92
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Queen City, NC

Posts: 1,529
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
why didnt the e30 have a retractable hardtop?


Dumb germans.
__________________

| Platinum Bronze Metallic | AA | VMR | ACS | DJApex Eurobox |
Dylanize is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-07-2014, 09:12 AM   #6
Rotary Rasp
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Rotary Rasp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SoCal - Torrance

Posts: 1,602
iTrader: (6)

A more legitimate question would be "why don't the new 3 and 4 series have led tail lights?"
__________________
Rotary Rasp is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-07-2014, 11:15 AM   #7
LuxAngelEyes
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
LuxAngelEyes's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 325xi, Sparkling Graphite
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Haven, CT

Posts: 3,067
iTrader: (12)

Well at least its not too hard to install aftermarket Angel Eyes bulbs in there to make them look newer
LuxAngelEyes is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-07-2014, 01:33 PM   #8
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
 
dwells's Avatar
 
Drives: Monaco Blue 335i coupe
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New England

Posts: 1,468
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTruk View Post
Why doesn't the older model have something that wasn't designed yet?
This is a retarded question.
You should go one more step and ask why the low beam lights aren't LED on prelci like they are an option on the newest bmw models.
It's not a retarded question, what he's getting at is why hadn't they been designed yet? The technology was there, and BMW instead opted for a dated and less effective solution.

BMW does this on purpose so they can change them for the LCI to attract people to upgrade to new cars and make money off retrofits. It's sleazy, and it punishes people willing to be an early adopter and get a car right when it comes out.

They've been able to affordably produce LED taillights since the E46 facelift which had them, and yet the new $75,000+ M4 has conventional bulb taillights just so BMW can withhold the LED tails for the LCI models. It's absurd. Just like how the majority of F30 3 Series on the road have halogen reflector headlights, but the new Corolla for a third of the price comes with LED projectors standard.
__________________
| E92 335i coupe | Monaco Blue | Cream beige Dakota leather | Premium package, sport package, technology package, comfort access | Style 313M | Huper 40% tint | GP Thunder II 8500K angel eyes | Smoked LED sidemarkers | Painted reflectors | Rear fogs | Amber light delete, digital speedo, remote windows, other coding |
dwells is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-07-2014, 04:28 PM   #9
b_minus328
Private First Class
 
b_minus328's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 07 328xi
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Mile High, Colorado

Posts: 159
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
It's not a retarded question, what he's getting at is why hadn't they been designed yet? The technology was there, and BMW instead opted for a dated and less effective solution.

BMW does this on purpose so they can change them for the LCI to attract people to upgrade to new cars and make money off retrofits. It's sleazy, and it punishes people willing to be an early adopter and get a car right when it comes out.

They've been able to affordably produce LED taillights since the E46 facelift which had them, and yet the new $75,000+ M4 has conventional bulb taillights just so BMW can withhold the LED tails for the LCI models. It's absurd. Just like how the majority of F30 3 Series on the road have halogen reflector headlights, but the new Corolla for a third of the price comes with LED projectors standard.
Completely agree with this. Its ridiculous
__________________
Jet Black 328xi
19" VMR VB3|Sumitomos HTR Z III|ZSP|ZPP|ZCW|
b_minus328 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-07-2014, 05:57 PM   #10
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
 
Drives: 2009 e90 2011 f10
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Clifton Park, NY

Posts: 3,078
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
They've been able to affordably produce LED taillights since the E46 facelift which had them, and yet the new $75,000+ M4 has conventional bulb taillights just so BMW can withhold the LED tails for the LCI models. It's absurd. Just like how the majority of F30 3 Series on the road have halogen reflector headlights, but the new Corolla for a third of the price comes with LED projectors standard.
the halogen headlights keep the price down $1k so they can say the 3er starts around 33k instead of over 35k. its the same reason they offer fake leather and manual seats.. the tail lights not being LED is definitely to justify an LCI. i had a 320i the other day as a loaner and couldnt believe how cheap it was. my e46 stripper had more options and better fit/finish than it and even more horsepower!
__________________

2009 MBM 328| ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | CA | 6FL | NAV | XENONS | 18x8.5 VB3s ET30/25
2011 Jet Black 535i xdrive | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | 6FL | NAV | 331s Square
wdeerfield is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-08-2014, 09:03 AM   #11
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
 
dwells's Avatar
 
Drives: Monaco Blue 335i coupe
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New England

Posts: 1,468
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
the halogen headlights keep the price down $1k so they can say the 3er starts around 33k instead of over 35k. its the same reason they offer fake leather and manual seats.. the tail lights not being LED is definitely to justify an LCI. i had a 320i the other day as a loaner and couldnt believe how cheap it was. my e46 stripper had more options and better fit/finish than it and even more horsepower!
It actually probably costs BMW more money to make the reflector headlights than it would to just make the projectors. The reflector headlights only exist so they can make big profits off of the incredibly marked-up projector headlights.

The Corolla is $16,000 and comes with LED projectors. There's no excuse for BMW having reflector headlights. It's done solely as a means of extorting more money out of people who expect their luxury car to have a decent lighting system instead of something that was already considered dated fifteen years ago.
__________________
| E92 335i coupe | Monaco Blue | Cream beige Dakota leather | Premium package, sport package, technology package, comfort access | Style 313M | Huper 40% tint | GP Thunder II 8500K angel eyes | Smoked LED sidemarkers | Painted reflectors | Rear fogs | Amber light delete, digital speedo, remote windows, other coding |
dwells is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-08-2014, 10:51 PM   #12
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
 
Dark_Knight_335's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NY/NJ

Posts: 9,818
iTrader: (26)

Because if they were, then BMW wouldn't have anything to entice us to fish those greenbacks out of our pockets for the next LCI model- same with them newfangled purty LED LCI tails- marketing 101

I see dwells already got to this point before I did, so +10000 for dwells
Dark_Knight_335 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-08-2014, 11:24 PM   #13
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
 
VTECaddict's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 330i 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Las Vegas, NV

Posts: 4,617
iTrader: (4)

Cost would be a factor, and technology probably wasn't where they wanted it yet. The E92 was the first model with angel eye DRLs. For a 2007 model year that began production in 2006, it probably began development in 03/04 if not earlier. Think back 10 years from now and how technology was. LEDs probably weren't bright enough to function as DRL back then or too difficult to package into a headlight. Tail lights are easier for packaging since you don't have to deal with high beam, projector, ballast, etc.

Even just think about if you had LED interior bulbs or something for your car back in the day vs the brightness of what you can get now, it's a huge difference.
__________________
AW/Terra | ZSP | ZPP | ZCW | iDrive | CA
Mods: BC BR | OEM Blacklines | M-tech rear | custom dual exhaust | M3 steering wheel | BMW SSK | ZHP shift knob | BMW Performance rep spoiler
Varrstoen ES1 19x9.5+20 Front, 19x11+25 rear
VTECaddict is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-08-2014, 11:35 PM   #14
Game
Brigadier General
 
Game's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lockport/Chicago, IL

Posts: 4,901
iTrader: (15)

Always pissed me off as well.

Solution: Change the rings.
__________________
Game is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2014, 07:09 AM   #15
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
 
Dark_Knight_335's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NY/NJ

Posts: 9,818
iTrader: (26)

While we're on the topic, I wonder how these current white LED rings on my 2011 light up so uniformly? I wish I knew where the LEDs were lighting them up from.
Dark_Knight_335 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2014, 01:46 PM   #16
rollinstone157
Brotographer
 
rollinstone157's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 328i xDrive Sedan
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NJ, USA

Posts: 1,701
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335 View Post
While we're on the topic, I wonder how these current white LED rings on my 2011 light up so uniformly? I wish I knew where the LEDs were lighting them up from.
It's actually a pretty cool system. Imagine if you will, the shape of a drill battery but with LEDs mounted on the top. The whole module is metal which helps to wick the heat that the emitters generate away from them ASAP--heat is the enemy of LEDs. That whole module slides into the headlight, and the LEDs meet up precisely with acrylic tubes that bring the light up into the rings.

The F30 3 Series uses one like this (3x Philips Luxeon Rebel LEDs from the Automotive Line)


The E92 E93 F06 F12 F13 use one like this (If I'm correct, a Philips Luxeon Altilon Module but it could also be a Osram Ostar from the headlamp line)
__________________
Reviews -|- HPB "Ultimate" LED Interior Kit -|- Noyka Cornering Bulbs -|- HPB 20W AE [OLD] -|- LUX H8 V4 -|- New Reviews Pending Vendor Approval
rollinstone157 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2014, 01:57 PM   #17
Delta0311
Brigadier General
 
Delta0311's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NJ

Posts: 3,554
iTrader: (1)

Why can't the PS4 play PS5 games? Srsly what's up with that?
__________________
Space Gray 2011 335xi E92
Delta0311 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2014, 02:18 PM   #18
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
 
dwells's Avatar
 
Drives: Monaco Blue 335i coupe
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New England

Posts: 1,468
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinstone157 View Post
It's actually a pretty cool system. Imagine if you will, the shape of a drill battery but with LEDs mounted on the top. The whole module is metal which helps to wick the heat that the emitters generate away from them ASAP--heat is the enemy of LEDs. That whole module slides into the headlight, and the LEDs meet up precisely with acrylic tubes that bring the light up into the rings.

The F30 3 Series uses one like this (3x Philips Luxeon Rebel LEDs from the Automotive Line)


The E92 E93 F06 F12 F13 use one like this (If I'm correct, a Philips Luxeon Altilon Module but it could also be a Osram Ostar from the headlamp line)
I was wondering what emitters they were using these days, thanks for the links. Those heatsinks appear to actually be total overkill, but better more than less in this case. Is it one unit per headlamp with the two rings made of a single acrylic piece, or is there a unit per ring?

I wonder if there's a dedicated driver for these LEDs or if they're getting direct feed power from one of the modules and it's all managed by the existing PWM circuits.
__________________
| E92 335i coupe | Monaco Blue | Cream beige Dakota leather | Premium package, sport package, technology package, comfort access | Style 313M | Huper 40% tint | GP Thunder II 8500K angel eyes | Smoked LED sidemarkers | Painted reflectors | Rear fogs | Amber light delete, digital speedo, remote windows, other coding |
dwells is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2014, 02:55 PM   #19
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
 
Dark_Knight_335's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NY/NJ

Posts: 9,818
iTrader: (26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinstone157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335 View Post
While we're on the topic, I wonder how these current white LED rings on my 2011 light up so uniformly? I wish I knew where the LEDs were lighting them up from.
It's actually a pretty cool system. Imagine if you will, the shape of a drill battery but with LEDs mounted on the top. The whole module is metal which helps to wick the heat that the emitters generate away from them ASAP--heat is the enemy of LEDs. That whole module slides into the headlight, and the LEDs meet up precisely with acrylic tubes that bring the light up into the rings.

The F30 3 Series uses one like this (3x Philips Luxeon Rebel LEDs from the Automotive Line)


The E92 E93 F06 F12 F13 use one like this (If I'm correct, a Philips Luxeon Altilon Module but it could also be a Osram Ostar from the headlamp line)
Wow...pretty damn impressive!
Dark_Knight_335 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:42 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST