E90Post

VIBE Motorsports

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Buying our first E92

07-04-2011, 10:47 PM   #1
E92 Hopefull
Registered

Drives: E92

Buying our first E92

Hello all,

I hope this is the right place for such a thread, if not I apologize.

My family is buying an E92 for my mother. Kids are moved out so the gas guzzling house of a decade old minivan is moving out as well.

My family has no experience with BMWs (we have a Lexus, love it) so we really don't know too much about what we are getting into. Therefore, I have some questions, which I am writing just as they come to me.

-Our main purpose will be day to day driving to work/grocery/errands/airports etc. Is this a good car for that?

-How is the drive compared to say, a Lexus sedan which is smooth and quiet?

-What are things we will love about this car?

-What are things we will hate about it?

-We are buying an 08 (money is a factor). Im assuming it is still a good car only 2-3 years old?

-Montego blue with saddle brown leather

-If, say, 2 people had to embark on a 2-3 hour drive, would this car make it comfortable?

-How are the back seats?

Any other things I should know about this car would be appreciated. I know a lot of this I will find out once test driving it etc, but I wanted to get some thoughts from those in the know before hand.

Thank you greatly.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 10:58 PM   #2
SilverII
Colonel
United_States

Drives: '11 335IS

Garage List
2011 BMW 335IS  [4.83]
test drive it to know for sure
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 12:02 AM   #3
Verbatim
Colonel
United_States

Drives: 2008 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [5.00]
if money's a factor, then buying a bmw won't make much sense.
maintenance is higher than your average jap car and so are the repairs.
i'm not trying to make bmw's sound like some elite car, i'm just saying i wouldn't jump to put my mom in a bmw that costs twice as much as a new honda accord that'll make her just as happy.
nothing beats that new car smell

2008 BMW 335i Sedan | Sparkling Graphite | Sport | Premium | Navigation | Comfort Access | Logic7
Golf Tee | M3 Spoiler | LED Angel Eyes | 5000k Fogs | Resonator Delete | Black Kidney Grills | Black Finisher Rods | 35%/18% Tint |12mm/20mm (F/R) Spacers | Black Lines

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 12:28 AM   #4
Bimmer84
Guardian of the Night
United_States

Drives: 2010 335i M Sport Coupe

Garage List
2010 335i E92  [3.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92 Hopefull View Post
Hello all,

I hope this is the right place for such a thread, if not I apologize.

My family is buying an E92 for my mother. Kids are moved out so the gas guzzling house of a decade old minivan is moving out as well.

My family has no experience with BMWs (we have a Lexus, love it) so we really don't know too much about what we are getting into. Therefore, I have some questions, which I am writing just as they come to me.

-Our main purpose will be day to day driving to work/grocery/errands/airports etc. Is this a good car for that?

-We are buying an 08 (money is a factor). Im assuming it is still a good car only 2-3 years old?

-Montego blue with saddle brown leather

-If, say, 2 people had to embark on a 2-3 hour drive, would this car make it comfortable?

-How are the back seats?

Any other things I should know about this car would be appreciated. I know a lot of this I will find out once test driving it etc, but I wanted to get some thoughts from those in the know before hand.

Thank you greatly.
The money is a factor thing worries me. Also, depending on in service date, your 08 could have had its warranty started back sometime in 2007. Check the initial warranty date, as well as the miles for the best time left on the factory warranty. If money is an issue, I wouldn't mess with being out of a warranty soon.

And that has nothing to do with a BMW specifically, I personally wouldn't want to own any car these days out of warranty.
2010 335i M Sport Coupe -- Black Sapphire Metallic|Coral Red|Loaded|JB4 Stage 3|BMS DCI|VRSF DPs|Camaross 6k AE|Performance Gloss Black Grilles|CF Performance Spoiler|CF Quad Diffuser|Double Layer Black Chrome Quad Tips|CF Roundels|Smoked Reflectors|Red Cyba Scoops|193s Painted Lamborghini Metallic Dark Gray
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 12:48 AM   #5
Taipei-TT
Captain

Drives: 2014 X3 2.0D

If you are just cruising around in it...a lot of what makes a BMW worth the maintenance costs etc would be lost on the owner. You won't really know where all the money went whereas a with a Lexus you get all the gadgets and comfort and won't miss out on the driving dynamics if you don't push your car.

But if you are in love with the looks of it, the steering, the mmmm mmm soundness of it...it's an amazing car!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 03:11 AM   #6
slowSwede
Lieutenant
Sweden

Drives: 335 coupe

Works for me. Big boot so you can stuff a lot of bags.

Sportier and a bit bumpier. You can take corners without the car swaying like crazy that is. Also depends on what Lexus, a Ls 600 L is comfier than a Ct200.

That I don't know since we're all different.

See above.

-We are buying an 08 (money is a factor). Im assuming it is still a good car only 2-3 years old? I have two 07 Bmw's with roughly 30 000 miles on them and they work great. Granted the 335 costs a bit more to run, but the cost is not that high. Compared to the Toyota/Lexus though, you will probably have more problems.
Service is cheap as I view it. A tad more money than your average car. Compared to Mercs service and maintenance is cheap.

Yes.

-How are the back seats?
A bit cramped but very good for a coupe. They work if you're under 180 cms.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 03:23 AM   #7
Wild Squid
Banned

Drives: 2011 BMW 335i coupe Msport AW

Since she's a mom she may not appreciate a E92 for the reasons we do. Mainly I mean the excellent handling and the quickness if its 335i. She may be happier with a Lexus IS for the plushier interior and more standard options. Even a C class Mercedes may be better for her. Best way to decide is to have her drive these cars herself, and like above said, she may want a brand new Accord which is, brand new.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 03:36 AM   #8
c_jeong89
Banned
United_States

Drives: E90 TiAg

I say test drive
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 03:37 AM   #9
CAPSGOD
Major

Drives: Diesel Son

Even if you're not an enthusiast, I can see one reason why she would like the E92 and that would be the looks!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 04:40 AM   #10
John 070
Lieutenant General

Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverII View Post
test drive it to know for sure
+1. The BMW is all about driving, no Japanese car I've ever driven has been the same. The steering is totally sweet, which is why it's a disappointment to hear about the new 5 being loose or overassisted.

On the other hand, the reliability on a BMW is quite disappointing. So it's a serious trade-off. It's not worthwhile to many (obviously it is to those on the forum). Dealerships don't seem to treat customers very well after the sale, and seem to like to say this and that isn't covered by warranty.

It's all about the road manners....
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 06:33 AM   #11
E92 Hopefull
Registered

So the whole "BMW's aren't reliable" thing......is true?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 08:59 AM   #12
SWFan
Private First Class
United_States

Drives: 2011 335is

Quote:
Right now I would say its mainly just the 335's with the HPFP failures. Otherwise it boils down to BMW's using sportier parts which tend to not hold up as long as the parts asian cars use.

My first BMW was an E46 and I replaced things on it I had never heard of while owning domestic and asian cars for 15 years. Simply because on those cars they don't need replacing until well over 100K miles. But on BMW's many components need replacing prior to 100K, such as FCAB's.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 09:08 AM   #13
Michael Schott
Major

Drives: 2011 328i sedan

Quote:
It depends. Compared to most Japanese cars it's true. And the cost of out of warranty repairs will be higher. If your mother wants a dead reliable car she probably shouldn't buy a used BMW.

That said, I'd recommend a 2009 or later that will have more time left on the warranty. The factory warranty is great and basically covers everything but tires.

Also, in my experience my 2 BMW's (2008 e90 and 2011 e90 both 328's have been dead reliable).
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 09:20 AM   #14
evicfinite
Private First Class

Drives: E92 BMW

get her the 328i coupe, they are pretty reliable...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2007 BMW 328i Coupe|Sapphire Black|Gray Poplar Wood Trim|Premium Package|Sports Package|Navigation iDrive|Park Distance|Aero Body Kit|Logic 7
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 09:40 AM   #15
Bargamon
Captain

Drives: 07' e92 328i 6MT sport

Way too many things not determined but if money is a factor the quick question is what is the budget and does she really really like the car?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 09:40 AM   #16
07GraphiteXI
Private First Class

Drives: 07 328XI

My parents drive lexus ESs and they don't like my car (too bumpy, too sporty, too stiff). If you like the feel of lexus, I'd get another one. Have your mom test drive both a 3 and an ES/IS back to back. She'll probably like the lex over the bmw.
      07-05-2011, 10:46 AM   #17
Bargamon
Captain

Drives: 07' e92 328i 6MT sport

Will she mod the car?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 10:58 AM   #18
bmwpride335i
Major
United_States

Drives: 07 SUPERCHARGED 680HP VETTE

I came from 6 years of drving a honda, albeit sportier model in their standard (coupe v6 6spd).

my family member has a lexus for 4 years and i drive it time to time. very reliable, solid and luxurious at the same time. good car in anyone's books.

Both were nice and I miss my hondas. I drove them long enough to know how they feel. they were good cars and that will not change. but then...

then I got 335i CPO and never looked back. its on another level. it erased my other cars out of my mind. it does that everytime I drive it... its a DRIVER'S car. you have to enjoy driving to really appreciate how different it is from other cars. in the "feel" department, this car is the gold standard, not to mention my car is probably faster than 99% of regular cars out there in the road.

it looks good, feels good and drives superbly.

so i'll answer your questions on how I feel about the car. YES, YES and YES! lol...
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 10:58 AM   #19
AndyzDad
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Squid View Post
Since she's a mom she may not appreciate a E92 for the reasons we do. Mainly I mean the excellent handling and the quickness if its 335i. She may be happier with a Lexus IS for the plushier interior and more standard options. Even a C class Mercedes may be better for her. Best way to decide is to have her drive these cars herself, and like above said, she may want a brand new Accord which is, brand new.

+1. Also, being a mom, she may find the steering wheel of the E92 to be on the heavier side than the Lexus.

Have her try the cars out, even an Audi A3/A4 would have a 'softer' ride than the BMW.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 10:58 AM   #20
E92 Hopefull
Registered

Thanks for the replies.

Budget - under 40k. Looking at the 08 model, nothing earlier.

No modding

No aggressive driving, tops 85 mph.

Just want a sports luxury car that is reliable and looks good. (In this case, looks great).
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 11:59 AM   #21
dryicerx
First Lieutenant

Drives: 335is

Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

Budget - under 40k. Looking at the 08 model, nothing earlier.

No modding

No aggressive driving, tops 85 mph.

Just want a sports luxury car that is reliable and looks good. (In this case, looks great).
IMHO, even though the e92 fits most listed requirements... it's not the best option, specially in the reliability department. I'd look at Jap luxury brand like Lexus/Infinity/etc. Test drive a couple of them, the differences in comfort/feel would be very obvious (if she ends up liking the driving feel and comfort of of e92... woot!, but unless your mom likes driving hard, I doubt it).
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 12:53 PM   #22
achien
AC
Canada

Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

is the BMW for you or your mother?

if it is really for your mother, get her the Corolla and give the extra $$$ for her retirement.

she just needs a car going from point A to point B and I am sure she will appreciate getting the extra $$$.