E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > IMPORTANT NOTICE for 6FL iPod/USB Buyers

04-08-2007, 07:29 AM   #1
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General

Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Exclamation IMPORTANT NOTICE for 6FL iPod/USB Buyers

I'm putting this in the general section for visibility... Mark/Jason, please give it a little time before you move it.

I am reading several posts from new car buyers where those lucky enough to have the dealer parts counter have the iPod adaptor cable for 6FL - the parts counter is trying to charge $50 or more for it. This is only going to get worse as inventory is relased and backorders are filled.

PLEASE DO NOT PAY FOR THIS CABLE - IT WAS INCLUDED IN THE $400 PRICE FOR THE 6FL iPod/USB option!!!!! (United States only)

Don't let anyone at the dealership tell you that you have to pay for it. If they refuse to give it to you - please call BMWNA immediately (or better yet, make the dealer call them). Also, please post here the name of your dealership that is trying to steal your money.

This has been a public service message from Ledzep. The views and opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect those of the management of E90Post.com, it's partners or subsidiaries.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
      04-08-2007, 08:14 AM   #2
turbocoins
Captain

Drives: '08 Z06, '07 MKZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
I'm putting this in the general section for visibility... Mark/Jason, please give it a little time before you move it.

I am reading several posts from new car buyers where those lucky enough to have the dealer parts counter have the iPod adaptor cable for 6FL - the parts counter is trying to charge $50 or more for it. This is only going to get worse as inventory is relased and backorders are filled.

PLEASE DO NOT PAY FOR THIS CABLE - IT WAS INCLUDED IN THE $400 PRICE FOR THE 6FL iPod/USB option!!!!! (United States only)

Don't let anyone at the dealership tell you that you have to pay for it. If they refuse to give it to you - please call BMWNA immediately (or better yet, make the dealer call them). Also, please post here the name of your dealership that is trying to steal your money.

This has been a public service message from Ledzep. The views and opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect those of the management of E90Post.com, it's partners or subsidiaries.
I didn't get the ipod as a separate option. I have the premium package. There is a headphone jack in the center console. I hook up a $2 cord from Radio Shack to my ipod, and it works fine. Are we talking about the same thing, or is there an option that I don't have that uses a different cable?
turbocoins is offline   United_States
      04-08-2007, 08:16 AM   #3
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General

Garage List
It is a new option - different cable.

04-08-2007, 08:19 AM   #4
yetdog
Private

Drives: 2006 325i

Ledzep - Thank you so much. I just was reading a thread over @ bimmerfest where a user reported his dealer attempted to charge him $50 for the cable. I just got done posting how I'll be damned if this $400 option doesn't include the cable, and sure enough I come over and see this thread. Thanks again!
      04-08-2007, 08:35 AM   #5
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General

Garage List
Attached is the dealer bulletin for this option. Notice the words "included in option 6FL is the cable that is required to fully integrate an iPod".

This is a very retarded way to handle this, but how the dealer gets their money is not my concern. I only know that we have already paid for this, and no one should let the dealer scam them into paying again!!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 07-ALL-03_iPod_and_USB_Adapter_Overview 804cb352 1.pdf (153.2 KB, 1064 views)

04-08-2007, 08:40 AM   #6
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire

Drives: Fast

Wow.....does the B in BMW stand for BALLS?

STE92VE is offline   United_States
      04-08-2007, 08:48 AM   #7
iwanta335
Private

Drives: 2007 e90 335i

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Yeah, my CA checked with his parts dept who told him no special cable was needed! I straightened him out and thanks to this forum, sent him the part #. No word yet if they try any crap about charging for it-- it does look like this is the way it is setup in Cananda, but in US it is included (and should be for $400 bucks!)(should be for $200 bucks.....)

Last edited by iwanta335; 04-08-2007 at 10:07 AM.
      04-08-2007, 08:57 AM   #8
AndreTheGeek
Lieutenant

Drives: 335i E90 Alpine White

There's going to be trouble if my Canadian dealer tries to charge me extra. It's an iPod option. To use an iPod the way the option was designed, the cable is required.
AndreTheGeek is offline   Canada
      04-08-2007, 09:07 AM   #9
ALPINE6SPD
Lieutenant General

Drives: 2010 BMW 328i Sport

Send a message via AIM to ALPINE6SPD
Quote:

Led is right I spoke to him about this last week
2008 AW X3 3.0si: 6 speed Returned
2006 AW e90 330i: 6 speed Dinan Stage 1 Returned
ALPINE6SPD is offline   United_States
      04-08-2007, 09:10 AM   #10
ALPINE6SPD
Lieutenant General

Drives: 2010 BMW 328i Sport

Send a message via AIM to ALPINE6SPD
Quote:
Attached is the dealer bulletin for this option. Notice the words "included in option 6FL is the cable that is required to fully integrate an iPod".

This is a very retarded way to handle this, but how the dealer gets their money is not my concern. I only know that we have already paid for this, and no one should let the dealer scam them into paying again!!
The ealer gets the money very easily. They submit your VIN and it will show the I-Pod option and they send the dealership a cable. This is the same thing as the 2 headsets for the rear entertainment system in the X5. It does not come with the headsets so the dealership orders them (while the car is being built) so you customer does not wait or have to leave without the correct parts to his car.
2008 AW X3 3.0si: 6 speed Returned
2006 AW e90 330i: 6 speed Dinan Stage 1 Returned
ALPINE6SPD is offline   United_States
      04-08-2007, 09:14 AM   #11
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINE6SPD View Post
Led is right I spoke to him about this last week
Thanks for all the help and info bro. I should get my cable early this week. If not, I have every intention of going full blown ballistic about it. At least I'm not at odds with the parts counter. The lady there and I both had a good chuckle over how some pencil necked geek in a suit needs to be fired over this fiasco! My hunch is that the guy who sent this bulletin is the person. I actually tried calling him, but of course he didn't return my call.

04-08-2007, 09:16 AM   #12
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINE6SPD View Post
The ealer gets the money very easily. They submit your VIN and it will show the I-Pod option and they send the dealership a cable. This is the same thing as the 2 headsets for the rear entertainment system in the X5. It does not come with the headsets so the dealership orders them (while the car is being built) so you customer does not wait or have to leave without the correct parts to his car.
Was the X5 headset option handled this poorly too? It seems you can count on one hand how many people at any BMW dealerships know anything about this.

Very poor planning, very poor execution, or both.

04-08-2007, 10:02 AM   #13
M4TW
///M Uber Alles

Drives: '15 MW M4

Led, I meant to thank you for your work on this. This is one of the many benefits of e90post!!!

Since I read your posts in the other forum I've been calling my CA about this. He's onboard with making sure I have the right cable when my car arrives but couldn't see why the normal iPod USB cable wouldn't work. I didn't have a good answer for him then but now understand a different serial cable is needed for proper full iPod integration as advertised! Anyway he's going to call me as they are expecting a model with the USB in shortly so I can try my iPod out on it. I'll also be able to determine if the Can models come with the cable.

Anyway the first tune I play on it may well have to be a Led Zep one.
      04-08-2007, 10:33 AM   #14
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkplug View Post
Led, I meant to thank you for your work on this. This is one of the many benefits of e90post!!!

Since I read your posts in the other forum I've been calling my CA about this. He's onboard with making sure I have the right cable when my car arrives but couldn't see why the normal iPod USB cable wouldn't work. I didn't have a good answer for him then but now understand a different serial cable is needed for proper full iPod integration as advertised! Anyway he's going to call me as they are expecting a model with the USB in shortly so I can try my iPod out on it. I'll also be able to determine if the Can models come with the cable.

Anyway the first tune I play on it may well have to be a Led Zep one.
Sparkplug - I'm glad I've been able to make some positive contribution here and there (as opposed to all my other whining and complaining posts). I have learned a great deal from many members here, and continue to. Any chance to give some back is a duty, I think.

For all my bitching, I am certainly very happy to be one who got the 6FL even if I have to wait two weeks for the cable - as opposed to not having it at all. I'm sure once this mess get straightened out, in a month or so, those taking delivery will have the required cable ready for them. Best of luck with yours!

04-08-2007, 11:07 AM   #15
M4TW
///M Uber Alles

Drives: '15 MW M4

Yeah, it could be worse. The audi iPod integration reads the iPod like an external CD player. It can access playlists (by number) and show Track 1, Track 2 etc on the display.
      04-08-2007, 11:10 AM   #16
Weaselboy
Major

Drives: 2012 335i F30 Sedan

The cable is part number 61 12 0422 099.
Weaselboy is offline   United_States
      04-08-2007, 12:00 PM   #17
theroyalwe
BMW CA

Drives: MINI, all BMW's

I think the easiest way to explain it to the parts counter if they are asking for money is to just say that it is to be handled like the headsets for the x5. I said that to the guy and he instantly knew how it had to be handled and asked me for the stock number to the car (you would give the last 7 of your vin). He did confuse me for a second saying that he had to charge the cable to someone... and I kept saying "I'm not paying for it, it comes with the car" to which he explained that the VIN is charged as though it is it's own account. you won't be able to just walk in and ask for a cable without your VIN and they will probably confirm you are a customer there first also.
      04-08-2007, 12:29 PM   #18
e92sam
Private First Class

Drives: e92

Garage List
2007 e92  [0.00]
Rely on the Dealer?

Quote:

Crap! I looked at that bulletin a while back, just to see what the cable looked like, I should have read it thoroughly. I had no idea I had to rely on the dealer to supply it, that sucks! I'm not worried about them trying to charge me for it, they probably will try; and no, I won't pay extra.
The worst part is they now have a responsibility to complete my order on a factory installed option. Which means its now my responsibility to advise, remind, and follow-up with them.

Thanks! You can always count on Zeppelin!
      04-08-2007, 12:36 PM   #19
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroyalwe View Post
I think the easiest way to explain it to the parts counter if they are asking for money is to just say that it is to be handled like the headsets for the x5. I said that to the guy and he instantly knew how it had to be handled and asked me for the stock number to the car (you would give the last 7 of your vin). He did confuse me for a second saying that he had to charge the cable to someone... and I kept saying "I'm not paying for it, it comes with the car" to which he explained that the VIN is charged as though it is it's own account. you won't be able to just walk in and ask for a cable without your VIN and they will probably confirm you are a customer there first also.

Yes - good tip. I would hope that most CAs would handle this for their customers. While I have never had a bad experience with a BMW CA, and the esteemed CAs that are members here are top notch, we do see a lot of stories from customers where their CA is quite sloth-like, if not downright shady.

An informed customer is a good thing!

04-08-2007, 12:36 PM   #20
'Cane
Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Yeah, when I went in to pick up my cable, my CA was saying that the parts department wanted $57 for it. I had to explain it all to them.
'Cane is online now   United_States
      04-08-2007, 12:40 PM   #21
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Cane View Post
Yeah, when I went in to pick up my cable, my CA was saying that the parts department wanted $57 for it. I had to explain it all to them.
Exactly! I believe your post was one of those that prompted me to start this thread. I am certain that some customers will be charged for the cable and unwittingly pay for it - while still others will never be told they are entitled to it, and will do without.

The Germans engineer a fine machine, build it to perfection, and then ship it over to the U.S. where the process is taken over by drooling morons (BMW NA).

04-08-2007, 01:00 PM   #22
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire

Drives: Fast

Quote:
The Germans engineer a fine machine, build it to perfection, and then ship it over to the U.S. where the process is taken over by drooling morons (BMW NA).

STE92VE is offline   United_States