E90Post
 


European Auto Source
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Koni FSD -- The obvious choice for a more comfy ride?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-09-2011, 05:48 PM   #1
Drivaar
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Earth

Posts: 381
iTrader: (0)

Cool Koni FSD -- The obvious choice for a more comfy ride?

After searching through old threads, it seems like the Koni FSDs are the standout choice for getting a more comfy general ride + better cornering (both in comparison to the stock sport setup on the 335i).

Are there folks out there with stock sport springs + Koni FSD shocks who can confirm? (It seems like most people with Koni FSD shocks also have changed their springs...)

Also, how much $ to buy and install (i.e., completely "out the door") the Koni FSDs? Can I do anything with my stock sport shocks afterwards (~58K miles on them)?

Thanks!
Drivaar is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-09-2011, 08:11 PM   #2
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
 
Drives: 335i E93 750Li
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton Florida

Posts: 3,215
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivaar View Post
After searching through old threads, it seems like the Koni FSDs are the standout choice for getting a more comfy general ride + better cornering (both in comparison to the stock sport setup on the 335i).

Are there folks out there with stock sport springs + Koni FSD shocks who can confirm? (It seems like most people with Koni FSD shocks also have changed their springs...)

Also, how much $ to buy and install (i.e., completely "out the door") the Koni FSDs? Can I do anything with my stock sport shocks afterwards (~58K miles on them)?

Thanks!
I am running Koni FSDs with the stock springs and Pirelli P-Zero Nero non-RFTs on a 2007 335i E93 wirh sport suspension. The difference is night and day, This is the suspension that BMW should have supplied OEM.

I paid about $650 for the Konis and another $650 to have them installed in Manhattan.

CA
__________________

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center
Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
The Glen Club - Sports Car Club of America

Last edited by captainaudio; 11-19-2011 at 10:17 PM.
captainaudio is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-09-2011, 11:58 PM   #3
gizmo335i
Colonel
 
gizmo335i's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 JB E92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Antonio

Posts: 2,907
iTrader: (50)

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [4.73]
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
I am running Koni FSDs with the stock springs and Pirelli P-Zero Nero non-RFTs on a 2007 335i E93 wirh sport suspension. The difference is nigh and day, This is the suspension that BMW should have supplied OEM.

I paid about $650 for the Konis and another $650 to have them installed in Manhattan.

CA


You paid $650 for install?

I have FSD's and H&R Sport and it's a nice ride. But I have decided to switch to coilovers....the FSD's are sold but I will have my H&R's for sale pending me getting my coils installed.

BTW, you shouldn't have to pay maybe $300 max to have them installed...
__________________
JB4 | Vanguard/Quad burnt tips | Linea Corse | Mtech Front/rear | AFE DCI | H&R Sport + Koni yellow | Umnitza Full LED Angels | Akyrm lip/quad diffuser | Alpine CSL CF Trunklid
See Garage for more
gizmo335i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-10-2011, 12:19 AM   #4
Tag
Colonel
 
Tag's Avatar
 
Drives: 335is
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: CHICAGO

Posts: 2,607
iTrader: (2)

The only bad thing I've heard about the FSD's is they tend under or overreact at certain times over certain types of uneven terrain. Something to do with a weird wiggle effect. I don't have them nor have I ever been in a car with FSD's, just what I read from numerous people in different threads. It didn't sound like it happened all the time, just under certain conditions. Otherwise I've heard nothing but good things about them.
__________________
335is Coupe Space Gray, ZPP, 609, 2TC, 688, 494 and 6FL.
Matte Black M310 19's | Michelin PSS 235/35F, 265/30R | COBB AccessPORT
| Eibach Pro Street S | Painted reflectors | Glossy Black Kidney Grilles

Modding ain't easy
Tag is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-10-2011, 07:51 AM   #5
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
 
Drives: 335i E93 750Li
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton Florida

Posts: 3,215
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tag824 View Post
The only bad thing I've heard about the FSD's is they tend under or overreact at certain times over certain types of uneven terrain. Something to do with a weird wiggle effect. I don't have them nor have I ever been in a car with FSD's, just what I read from numerous people in different threads. It didn't sound like it happened all the time, just under certain conditions. Otherwise I've heard nothing but good things about them.
I have not experienced the "wiggle effect". Whatever the downside of the FSDs may be they are are nowhere close to the downside of the stock dampers.

The poor performance of the stock 3 Series suspension on poor surfaces is not something that will effect everyone and is very dependent on the condition of the roads the car is driven in.

CA
__________________

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center
Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
The Glen Club - Sports Car Club of America

Last edited by captainaudio; 11-19-2011 at 10:18 PM.
captainaudio is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-10-2011, 08:29 AM   #6
driverman
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 E90 328i 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: El Dorado Hills, CA

Posts: 587
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
I am running Koni FSDs with the stock springs and Pirelli P-Zero Nero non-RFTs on a 2007 335i E93 wirh sport suspension. The difference is night and day, This is the suspension that BMW should have supplied OEM.
CA
CA: How is it different, both in terms of handling and ride? Is there any downside to going with Koni FSDs? Thanks.
driverman is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-10-2011, 09:06 AM   #7
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
 
Drives: 335i E93 750Li
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton Florida

Posts: 3,215
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverman View Post
CA: How is it different, both in terms of handling and ride? Is there any downside to going with Koni FSDs? Thanks.
There is no comparison in the way the car handles potholes, construction plates, etc. "Pothole Explosions" are no longer an issue. On smooth surfaces the car feels as planted as it always did and perhaps a bit moreso. The tires no longer bounce around on bumpy curves. I found that this made the car feel very skitish and was not a characteristic of what I would consider to be a good handling car.

When I had the car in Palm Beach Florida I had no issue with the suspension and thought the suspension was fine. I had been told that the RFTs and the stock suspension were not well suited to NYC but after test driving in New Jersey and driving my own can in South Florida for 2,000 miles I felt that the warnings were egagerated. Once I had the car shipped to NYC I understood what they had been talking about. The RFTs were gone after 2 weeks in NYC but the car still bottomed out over road imperfections and the car bounced all over the place on bumpy surfaces. There are so many potholes on the roads here that no matter how hard you try to avoid them you are eventually going to hit one. I had to replace 4 tires and 3 rims. Last November I had the FSDs installed. I would have done it much sooner but they were not available for the E93 according to Koni. Ironically when they did become available it was the same part number as the coupe. Since I had then installed I have not had a "Pothole Explosion" or damaged a tire or rim.

In a nutshell all of the good characteristics of the stock suspension have remained and even improved upon and the bad aspects have been improved by an order of magnitude.

CA
__________________

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center
Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
The Glen Club - Sports Car Club of America

Last edited by captainaudio; 11-19-2011 at 10:19 PM.
captainaudio is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-10-2011, 09:12 AM   #8
Kolyan2k
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2006 S2000
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Boston

Posts: 3,918
iTrader: (1)

they seem to be popular in Audi world. Ton of threads there. I find stock sport suspension nice on BMWs
Kolyan2k is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-11-2011, 11:31 PM   #9
driverman
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 E90 328i 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: El Dorado Hills, CA

Posts: 587
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
There is no comparison in the way the car handles potholes, construction plates, etc. "Pothole Explosions" are no longer an issue. On smooth surfaces the car feels as planted as it always did and perhaps a bit moreso. The tires no longer bounce around on bumpy curves. I found that this made the car feel very skitish and was not a characteristic of what I would consider to be a good handling car.

When I had the car in Palm Beach Florida I had no issue with the suspension and thought the suspension was fine. I had been told that the RFTs and the stock suspension were not well suited to NYC but after test driving in New Jersey and driving my own can in South Florida for 2,000 miles I felt that the warnings were eggagerated. Once I had the car shipped to NYC I understood what they had been talking about. The RFTs were gone after 2 weeks in NYC but the car still bottomed out over road imperfections and the car bounced all over the place on bumpy surfaces. There are so many potholes on the roads here that no matter how hard you try to avoid them you are eventually going to hit one. I had to replace 4 tires and 3 rims. Last November I had the FSDs installed. I would have done it much sooner but they were not available for the E93 according to Koni. Ironically when they did become available it was the same part number as the coupe. Since I had then installed I have not had a "Pothole Explosion" or damaged a tire or rim.

In a nutshell all of the good characteristics of the stock suspension have remained and even improved upon and the bad aspects have been improved by an order of magnitude.

CA
Thanks CA.
driverman is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-12-2011, 05:07 AM   #10
GaryS
Colonel
 
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Maryland

Posts: 2,089
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 135i  [3.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by driverman View Post
Is there any downside to going with Koni FSDs? Thanks.
I emphasized downsides in the other thread. They're very minor, and not worse than stock in any way. The main things are the advantages (1) softer over bumps (2) firmer in corners (3) great in bumpy corners (4) never bottoms out. The flaws I mentioned are just once in a while annoyances, and they should be even more minor in your car because my springs are a little stiffer and my wheelbase is shorter.
GaryS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-12-2011, 10:47 AM   #11
cvc 22349a
Colonel
 
cvc 22349a's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SF Bay

Posts: 2,179
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
I emphasized downsides in the other thread. They're very minor, and not worse than stock in any way. The main things are the advantages (1) softer over bumps (2) firmer in corners (3) great in bumpy corners (4) never bottoms out. The flaws I mentioned are just once in a while annoyances, and they should be even more minor in your car because my springs are a little stiffer and my wheelbase is shorter.
Gary,

I've got to disagree on #4 - never bottoms out. I've bottomed out front and rear over sharp bumps and was surprised that it felt like I didn't even have dampers on the car; I'm on stock sport springs too. It's only happened a couple times over the past 2-3 years though.
I agree they're an improvement over oe dampers and probally a good choice for the OP who stated he's looking for a 'comfy' damper.
__________________
2007 E90 335i, TiAg, 6AT, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, 6FL, HD
Quaife lsd, ETS fmic, GIAC s/w, Dinan intake/exhaust/oc, KW/GC/M3/Meyle susp, Apex Arc 8, Mich PSS
cvc 22349a is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-12-2011, 10:51 AM   #12
BBS
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Posts: 269
iTrader: (5)

I look at fsd's like how i look at my springs. Id rather have a linear rate spring than a progressive one. Knowing behavior at all times and all conditions is imperative to me.
__________________
LM's on the evo and LM's on the 3er
BBS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-12-2011, 11:23 AM   #13
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
 
Drives: 1.9L of fury
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 3,389
iTrader: (4)

dampers shouldn't necessarily have a linear curve like a spring though. Digressive damping curves are usually more preferred, and is often what is seen on higher end shock dynos.
mike-y is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-12-2011, 10:31 PM   #14
BBS
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Posts: 269
iTrader: (5)

But most shock dynos proportionally digress, no? I may be just VERY misinformed -__-. I can just imagine the fsds shock dyno looking like a quarter tit.
__________________
LM's on the evo and LM's on the 3er
BBS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-12-2011, 10:46 PM   #15
JB335
Banned
 
Drives: 335is
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: so cal

Posts: 1,035
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335IS  [3.80]
I currently have H&R Sport springs sitting in my garage and plan on matching them with a set of shocks. I've been reading many threads and it seems like most people think that Koni Yellow Sport shocks go better with lowering springs, as opposed to the FSD's. Anyone have any personal feedback?
JB335 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-13-2011, 01:51 AM   #16
Drivaar
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Earth

Posts: 381
iTrader: (0)

Thank you all for the replies! I feel very much inclined to try the FSDs now...

One last question: is there anyone in the California East Bay area who has tried the FSDs on Highway 880? That's the real test, coz that thing is in very bad condition, especially around Oakland and for many miles south.

Thanks!
Drivaar is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-20-2011, 10:04 AM   #17
titaniumsilver
New Member
 
titaniumsilver's Avatar
 
Drives: F30
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Jakarta

Posts: 11
iTrader: (0)

Anyone knows does FSD will work on non sport stock suspension?

Any comments will be appreciated.
titaniumsilver is offline   Indonesia
0
Reply With Quote
      07-20-2011, 10:49 AM   #18
cvc 22349a
Colonel
 
cvc 22349a's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SF Bay

Posts: 2,179
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniumsilver View Post
Anyone knows does FSD will work on non sport stock suspension?

Any comments will be appreciated.
Yes, per Koni's website.
__________________
2007 E90 335i, TiAg, 6AT, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, 6FL, HD
Quaife lsd, ETS fmic, GIAC s/w, Dinan intake/exhaust/oc, KW/GC/M3/Meyle susp, Apex Arc 8, Mich PSS
cvc 22349a is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-20-2011, 10:56 AM   #19
Tag
Colonel
 
Tag's Avatar
 
Drives: 335is
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: CHICAGO

Posts: 2,607
iTrader: (2)

I recently found out that the FSD is meant only for the stock sport springs and not aftermarket one's when used on the e92 coupe. So lame.
__________________
335is Coupe Space Gray, ZPP, 609, 2TC, 688, 494 and 6FL.
Matte Black M310 19's | Michelin PSS 235/35F, 265/30R | COBB AccessPORT
| Eibach Pro Street S | Painted reflectors | Glossy Black Kidney Grilles

Modding ain't easy
Tag is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-20-2011, 12:18 PM   #20
jwong77
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: W211 MB E350 & E92 328i Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Santa Clara

Posts: 253
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivaar View Post
Thank you all for the replies! I feel very much inclined to try the FSDs now...

One last question: is there anyone in the California East Bay area who has tried the FSDs on Highway 880? That's the real test, coz that thing is in very bad condition, especially around Oakland and for many miles south.

Thanks!
I have, but only once in Fremont. Was smooth for me. I've had my FSD's for about a month now, and I'm mighty impressed. Corners flatter than stock, comfortable over bumps. I've honestly haven't noticed too many negatives. BTW, I got mine installed for only 200 Sleek Motoring in Mountain View. Place was awesome deal for me. No complaints about them at all.
__________________
2007 BMW 328i Coupe
Space Grey | Black Interior/Aluminum Trim | BMW Performance Springs | Koni FSD Struts | M3 e36 / e84 bumpstops | lux H8 Angel Eyes | LCI Tail Lights | OEM 6FL USB/iPod Retrofit | OEM Bluetooth Retrofit | MULF2 | M-Tech Steering Wheel | LCI Paddle Shifters
jwong77 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-20-2011, 03:15 PM   #21
hdrewh
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: '09 E90
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York

Posts: 374
iTrader: (3)

Having non-sport suspension, but wanting one, what springs (and maybe sway bar?) would be best paired with the Koni FSD's for better-than-ZSP performance + comfort?
__________________

2009 E90 328i Montego Blue, Black Leather, 6MT, ZPP, 17" wheels, Logic 7, iPod adapter, HD radio, CA, fold-down seats, PDC. ED pickup June 12, 2009
mods: Sport/Heated Seats, BMW Performance short shifter, M-tech weighted shift knob, M-tech e-brake handle, M-tech steering wheel, black grilles, 50% tint, 3M clear bra.
hdrewh is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-20-2011, 09:29 PM   #22
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
 
Drives: 335i E93 750Li
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton Florida

Posts: 3,215
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrewh View Post
Having non-sport suspension, but wanting one, what springs (and maybe sway bar?) would be best paired with the Koni FSD's for better-than-ZSP performance + comfort?
There is a Eibach Spring Koni FSD combination availble,

CA
__________________

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center
Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
The Glen Club - Sports Car Club of America
captainaudio is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
koni fsd, shocks, suspension

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:04 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST