E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E93 Problems/Concerns - post them all here!

06-02-2008, 01:11 AM   #1
darkphantom
Banned

Drives: E93 335i

Send a message via AIM to darkphantom
Exclamation E93 Problems/Concerns - post them all here!

So I've done alot of searching and have found vague topics on the E93 concerning several issues, and no clear answers...so I've decided to make a thread that will help several people out by isolating problems and concerns with out E93s...and perhaps answer some of my own questions...

1) What is with the fluttering noise in the cabin when the top is up?
ans: it has something to do with the RFTs. There is some sort of a SIB but my dealer said they didn't show any here (Houston)

2) Where is the Vacuum hose in the trunk ?? (for the exhaust mod)

3) when I put my top up, it usually slams down on the roofline and does not lock until I initiate the top-up button upon when I hear it lock down. - what's up with this?

What else....can't think of much right now....ooo: Where is the sunglasses holder?!? LOL - I know there isn't one, I just find it annoying to put it on the side compartment...

if you have anything else to add/answer, feel free. I'm sure it will help alot of E93 owners by keeping it all in one contained thread.

Also, PLEASE STAY ON TOPIC!

Thanks
      06-02-2008, 03:14 AM   #2
DSe93
DANNY

Drives: E93 335i AW/CR

Garage List
none, except the $500 SmartTop chip should be stock... other than that, nooo problems, and none of what u speak of
DSe93 is offline   United_States
      06-02-2008, 04:25 AM   #3
n5160u
Private First Class

Drives: E93

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
The fluttering sound is a standing wave resonance that occurs at various combinations of speed and window openings. Mine seems worse at around 32 to 45mph with the drivers side window all the way down and the others closed. You can reduce this by partially closing the window. This should not be confused with the suspension hitting its resonate frequency which occurs here in California at around 65mph due to the spacing of the rain groves on the road surface and the RFT's interacting with each other in the case of my non sport package wheel and tire combo. The best way to avoid this is to drive at some other speed... 75 to 80mph works fine for me.
n5160u is offline   United_States
      06-02-2008, 05:52 AM   #4
Stinger
Major

Drives: 2007 335i Convertible

Garage List
2007 335i E93  [3.50]
1993 318is  [0.00]
1996 Z3 1.9  [0.00]
I'd like to know the answer to #2. I tried finding it several months ago but had zero luck. So, I did the "Golf T" mod by unplugging the hose connecting to the exhaust. Same effect but would've liked doing it through the trunk for less detection.

I haven't experienced the other two issues in my 11k miles thus far. Knock on wood...
      06-02-2008, 06:28 AM   #5
BoomerM3
Enlisted Member

Drives: M3

Unhappy Security Issue

When you lock the convertible (with the top down or the windows open) doors and storage compartments are locked. If I reach into the car and press the central lock/unlock button, both compartments are unlocked (in fact the center console pops open), but the doors remain locked. So, no one can get into the car, but they can grab your Ipod, registration, etc.

I assumed this was just bad design (or maybe BMW engineers never thought about the possibility). But, I tried the same situation with my 1999 M3. Using the central unlock button, the glove box does NOT unlock. So, I conclude there is a user error – I can’t figure out how to keep things locked – OR there is a glitch in the controlling software. It would seem that when the car is locked from the outside, the central unlock button should take no action – everything should remain locked.

Please confirm your experience. Then tell me how to get something like this fixed.
      06-02-2008, 09:26 AM   #6
roadkillrob
Brigadier General

Drives: 2008 335Cic, 2011 X5 35i

I have an 08 and no real issues - wouldn't go into sport more on the step from new and they had to replace the microswitch mechanism on it, but that is it. +1 on the smart top - should work that way factory - best E93 mod there is.

#1 SI B54 04 08
SUBJECT
Wind Buffeting/Pressure Noise at Highway Speeds

MODEL
E93 (3 Series Convertible) produced up to 12/2007

SITUATION
When driving at highway speeds, typically between 55-65mph, and the Retractable Hardtop (RHT) fully closed, a pulsating pressure sensation can be felt and heard.

The intensity of the noise increases when driving over coarse surfaces.

Driving outside this speed range will fully eliminate the noise.

This noise is most commonly compared to the noise heard when one of the rear windows is opened slightly on a 4 door vehicle.

CAUSE
A resonant frequency is reached at this speed which causes the convertible top cover (forward of the trunk lid) to vibrate, altering the acoustics inside the vehicle.

CORRECTION
On a customer complaint basis, the following steps should be taken:

Match balance the rear wheel and tire assemblies.

Increase the rigidity of the convertible top cover.

Modify the way in which the rear axle carrier is mounted to the body of the vehicle (does not apply to all models).

PROCEDURE
Balancing Wheels

Match balance the rear wheel and tire assemblies using approved tire balancing equipment.

NOTE: Optimizing the tire-wheel assembly will minimize any vibrations and contribute to the overall effectiveness of the repair.

Convertible Top Cover Rigidity

Park the vehicle in a location where this work can be performed and the vehicle can be parked for at least 24 hours. After the structural foam is applied, the vehicle must not be moved during the 24 hour curing time.

Perform the following procedure for the left side of the storage lid. It will later be performed for the right side.

Follow all applicable safety precautions when performing the following repair.

Use a marker to make a mark on the tube at a distance of approximately A=6cm from the top of the cartridges.

Remove the fastening nut and sealing plug from the cartridge. Next, install the mixing nozzle (1) onto the cartridge and secure it with the fastening nut (2).

Install the included extension tube (1) over the end of the mixing tube (2). Use a permanent marker to mark a line (3) at a distance of B=10cm from the end of the extension tube.

Due to the high viscosity of the 2 part structural foam, it must be warmed in order to flow out of the cartridge properly, and into the void it is intended to fill. Place the cartridge to be used under Hot running water or in a large pail of Hot water to heat the cartridge thoroughly. This should take 15-20 minutes.

Cut a rectangular piece of covering film to 40mm x 60mm.

Open the RHT until the roof panels are in the stacked position and the convertible top cover is fully open. Install the rear module supports (Cartool number 54 0 240) to hold the storage compartment lid in the open position.

Structural foam will be installed in the area (1) shown in the illustration. The left side is shown and is a mirror image of the right side.

Mask off the inside of the luggage compartment as well as the sides of the rear quarter panels to protect them from being damaged during the repair.

Remove the cartridge assembly from the hot water and immediately install it into the applicator.

Connect the recommended pneumatic applicator to a shop air supply. A pneumatic applicator is recommended as a manual applicator can make it difficult to fully fill the necessary cavity.

Pull the trigger and apply a small amount to a piece of scrap material to see the rate at which the foam will come out of the applicator, and then immediately wipe off any excess material on the end of the flexible tube.

If necessary, adjust the regulator on the applicator so that it dispenses at a fairly slow and consistent rate.

Feed the flexible tube into the lower outer-most hole in the cover (1), up to the line drawn previously at 10cm.

Fill the cavity with approximately 60% of the cartridge. When the plungers in the cartridge have reached the line drawn previously on the outside of the cartridge in Step 4, 60% has been applied. The red indicator on the side of the applicator displays the position of the plungers.

Remove the flexible tube from the panel and wipe off any foam that is on the outside of the tube.

NOTE: If any foam spills onto the outside of the cover, clean it off immediately with a clean cloth. Do not use any solvents or cleaning products to remove it.

If the foam was flowing very slowly prior to removing the tube from the panel, it may need to be warmed again before the remainder is applied.

Insert the tube into the larger hole (1) toward the inside of the panel as shown in the illustration. The tube should be inserted until it reaches the outside edge of the hole used previously (2).

Peel the backing from the pre-cut square of covering film and install it over the previously used hole (1). The paper on the front of the film may also be removed..

Pull the trigger until the cartridge is empty.

Remove the tube from the storage compartment cover and wipe away any foam which may have spilled onto the outside of the cover.

Repeat steps 4-22 for the opposite side of the storage lid using the 2nd foam cartridge as well as a new mixing nozzle and extension tube.

Allow the foam to cure for 24 hours.

Rear Axle Carrier Mounting – (Does NOT apply to the 335i equipped with a manual transmission)

Replace the rear 2, rear-axle carrier bushings per repair instruction RA 33 33 101.

While the rear axle carrier is lowered, install a damping disk to the top of each of the 4 sub-frame bushings. Ensure that the damping disk is rotated until it's fully seated on top of the respective bushing.

After raising the rear axle carrier, install the new Stop plates to the bottom of the rear two sub-frame bushings.

PARTS INFORMATION
Part Number
Description
Quantity

83 19 0 445 721
Structural Foam

51 32 8 146 401
Covering film

33 31 6 768 645
Rear axle carrier bushings (not for 335i

manual transmission)

33 30 6 776 886
Damping disc for rear axle carrier bearings

(not for 335i manual transmission)

33 30 6 778 481
Stop plate for rear axle carrier bearings (not

for 335i manual transmission)

The recommended applicator for the structural foam is the MIXPAC® pneumatic applicator; model number DP 400-85-01. This applicator may be obtained from Conveniently Packaged Adhesives (CPA) by calling (401) 946-5508, faxing an order to (401)-946-5508, or emailing info@forcpa.com. For additional information on this product or how to order it, please visit the CPA website at:http://www.forcpa.com/

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Defect Code
01 16 87 39 00

Main Work*

Labor Operation:
36 12 090
Repositioning tires on rims for front or rear wheels

Labor Allowance:
Refer to KSD
(includes balancing)

Labor Operation:
41 99 000
Work time for the structural foam portion of this

Labor Allowance:
9 FRU
Service Information

Labor Operation:
33 33 101
Replacing two rubber mounts for rear axle carrier

Labor Allowance:
Refer to KSD

*Main Work:
Use this labor operation number when this is the only repair being performed, or if this is the main repair when performed along with other repairs at the same time. If this is not the main repair, refer to KSD for the associated (+) labor operation code.

[ Copyright © 2008 BMW of North America, LLC ]

#3 SI B54 06 07

This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI B54 06 07 dated May 2007.

designates changes to this revision

SUBJECT
Roof Shell 1 Slams Down on the Cowl when Closing the RHT

MODEL
E93 (3 Series Convertible)

SITUATION
When the retractable hardtop (RHT) is closing from the open position, the front roof shell should slow down as it approaches the cowl. Intermittently, roof shell 1 may not slow down and will slam down on the cowl. When this occurs, the RHT will not latch closed. The convertible top switch must then be released and pressed again in order for roof shell 1 to latch closed.

CAUSE
The contact point for the "cowl panel reached" micro switch, located under the left side cowl plate, is not centered in the centering pin receiver. This causes the contact point to be trapped under the striker when it's pressed down. The micro switch is now stuck in the open position.

CORRECTION
Replace the micro switch with an updated part.

PROCEDURE

Verify that the contact point (1) for the "cowl panel reached" micro switch is not centered in the centering pin receiver.

This contact point (1) is located in the left side cowl plate.

Remove the cowl panel trim cover per Repair Instruction RA 51 44 150.

Remove the micro switch by removing the 2 screws holding it to the striker plate.

NOTE: Lower the micro switch slowly and grasp the stack of spring washers that will come out of the striker plate. These washers must be replaced in the same reciprocal pattern or a rattle will occur.

Place the spring washers back into the base plate and secure the new micro switch.

Reinstall the cowl cover and verify proper operation.

PARTS INFORMATION
Part Number
Description
Quantity

54 37 7 188 595
Cowl Panel Reached Micro switch
1 – if necessary

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Please refer to the latest KSD for all applicable labor operations and allowances.

If the appropriate labor operation is not contained in KSD, then a work time labor operation should be used.

Defect Code
54 37 24 15 00

[ Copyright © 2008 BMW of North America, LLC ]

Hope this helps!

Rob
roadkillrob is offline   United_States
      06-02-2008, 11:47 AM   #7
cyba
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: LP700, 458, F10 M5, FRS, RX350

drivers side windows rattle...maybe my car is too low and the roads here are shitty where i live

car only have 3K miles but im used to it
      06-02-2008, 02:20 PM   #8
darkphantom
Banned

Rob thanks for #1 and #3! I will setup an appointment asap!
      06-02-2008, 05:00 PM   #9
roadkillrob
Brigadier General

Drives: 2008 335Cic, 2011 X5 35i

No prob - hope they fix you up! I have been collecting the E93 TSB's, I need to find a place to post them all up so that the dealer can't plead the 5th on stuff!
roadkillrob is offline   United_States
      06-02-2008, 09:43 PM   #10
MrWorf
Today is a good day to drive

Drives: Monaco Blue 335i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerM3 View Post
When you lock the convertible (with the top down or the windows open) doors and storage compartments are locked. If I reach into the car and press the central lock/unlock button, both compartments are unlocked (in fact the center console pops open), but the doors remain locked. So, no one can get into the car, but they can grab your Ipod, registration, etc.

Please confirm your experience. Then tell me how to get something like this fixed.
New 2008 335 Convertible and I have the exact same experience.

I can only say WOW ... The number of times I've left valuables in the glove or centerconsole with the top down are too many to count.

I'm contacting the service department at my dealership this week, since this is not acceptable.

One thing I considered though is, could this problem stem from the fact that I don't have the OEM alarm system? Usually you press twice to arm the alarm (at least on other cars) while I only press once to lock it. This could be some kind of weird convenience feature, allowing people still in the car access to the storage compartments.

With the alarm on, is it still possible to open the storage compartments... Anyone willing/able to test?
      06-03-2008, 11:32 AM   #11
darkphantom
Banned

wait, so if you lock the car, and then open it from the inside, the alarm won't sound?? Also, no sensors in/near the windows?
      06-03-2008, 11:33 AM   #12
MrWorf
Today is a good day to drive

Drives: Monaco Blue 335i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkphantom View Post
wait, so if you lock the car, and then open it from the inside, the alarm won't sound?? Also, no sensors in/near the windows?
That's the question... I don't have the OEM alarm so I don't know if the behavior we're seeing differs.
      06-18-2008, 02:50 PM   #13
darkphantom
Banned

hey did you ever figure this one out?
      06-20-2008, 07:39 AM   #14
red.66mustang
Black.e90

Drives: 06 325i,blk,man, sport, xenon

For the most part trouble free....

We have owned our e93 since November and for the most part has been fairly trouble free except for the following:

1) Second day of owner ship, black trunk stoppers went AWOL and fell apart, but was fixed within a week and haven't had a trouble since

2) Clutch spring squeak, WD40 seems to have fixed it

3) Rattle in the top near the rear on the passenger side, this one has been the real nasty one. Been into the dealership twice for the same problem. Both times they have said it is a spring and they have insulated it. Solution works for a couple weeks but eventually returns.

Other than those minor issues, what a great car!
red.66mustang is offline   United_States
      06-20-2008, 01:08 PM   #15
darkphantom
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by red.66mustang View Post
We have owned our e93 since November and for the most part has been fairly trouble free except for the following:

1) Second day of owner ship, black trunk stoppers went AWOL and fell apart, but was fixed within a week and haven't had a trouble since

2) Clutch spring squeak, WD40 seems to have fixed it

3) Rattle in the top near the rear on the passenger side, this one has been the real nasty one. Been into the dealership twice for the same problem. Both times they have said it is a spring and they have insulated it. Solution works for a couple weeks but eventually returns.

Other than those minor issues, what a great car!
Do you have that fluttering noise in the cabin around 55-65mph when the top is up? I just sent mine to the dealer and they just ordered the special tools for it. Dunno how that's going to work but they said I'm the first one at their dealership to get this performed
      06-20-2008, 02:33 PM   #16
Draman
Second Lieutenant

Drives: e93 335i, S5

The chrome/silver trim around the bottom of the driver's side rear window separates from the body anytime I put the top back up (it slides up about 1/2 an inch when the window goes up). I guess I'll take it to the dealer though my bet is they'll just put some adhesive in there.

Audi S5 Ibis White / Tuscan Brown
Carbon Atlas|Audi Drive Select|Nav|B&O|Tech Package
      06-20-2008, 02:54 PM   #17
darkphantom
Banned

eh? what do you mean? got pics?
      06-20-2008, 03:19 PM   #18
Pangearox
Second Lieutenant

Drives: E93

Garage List
2008 E93 335i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
I had that problem where when the top is closed you get that open window feeling in your ears.

BMW replaced all 4 tires for me at no cost, pretty good deal. i have the option 19's and they are worth like 650 a tire.
      06-20-2008, 04:33 PM   #19
AZ-BMW
Captain

Drives: 2009 M3 E93 w/DCT

Quote:
Do you have that fluttering noise in the cabin around 55-65mph when the top is up? I just sent mine to the dealer and they just ordered the special tools for it. Dunno how that's going to work but they said I'm the first one at their dealership to get this performed

Check this link for all you ever wanted to know about this issue (>700 posts): http://http://www.bimmerfest.com/for...d.php?t=218612

And the SIB that is supposed to fix it, Not!!

2009 AW M3 E93 - Black Novillo|DCT|ZTP|ZPP|752 Enh Audio|4UT|Heated Seats|6FL|6NF|
For jpg's: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=186382&page=4
Traded: 2007 335i E93
AZ-BMW is offline   United_States
      06-21-2008, 01:05 AM   #20
red.66mustang
Black.e90

Drives: 06 325i,blk,man, sport, xenon

Quote:
No, luckily I haven't heard that fluttering sound, but perhaps I have been having my radio up too loud!! Also, with the nice weather we have been having I have had it down for about two weeks. But next time I have the top up on the freeway I will make sure I listen for it.
red.66mustang is offline   United_States
      06-21-2008, 01:40 AM   #21
darkphantom
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-BMW View Post
Check this link for all you ever wanted to know about this issue (>700 posts): http://http://www.bimmerfest.com/for...d.php?t=218612

And the SIB that is supposed to fix it, Not!!
link don't work holmes another one?
      06-21-2008, 08:37 AM   #22
AZ-BMW
Captain

Drives: 2009 M3 E93 w/DCT

Quote:
link don't work holmes another one?
Try this one (the insert link tab for this forum isn't working correctly, so I just cut'n pasted it): http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=218612 Posts now up to >745

2009 AW M3 E93 - Black Novillo|DCT|ZTP|ZPP|752 Enh Audio|4UT|Heated Seats|6FL|6NF|
For jpg's: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=186382&page=4
Traded: 2007 335i E93

Last edited by AZ-BMW; 06-21-2008 at 03:43 PM.
AZ-BMW is offline   United_States