E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > New wheels for the e92 335i



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-12-2011, 09:54 AM   #23
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
46
Rep
3,723
Posts

 
Drives: 08' 335i Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Aberdeen

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby-tc View Post
i meant in style and looks rather than quality
Your Halfords must be a lot better than the Halfords up here and their own website.

The only set of standard 5 spoke alloys are 15" going up to 17" they are split spoke items.

All of which look extreme cheap and nasty. Can't see how anyone can suggest that small cheap wheels look no worse than 19s.

The 230s are very well made. All the lines are very smooth and the twist spoke adds to the design of the precision cast. Halfords are cheap basic designs none of which even appear well finished for looks or style.

Hey ho, everyone to their own. I just thought you were upset as you didn't get the backing of the majority.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 10:00 AM   #24
scooby-tc
Private First Class
scooby-tc's Avatar
United Kingdom
2
Rep
104
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 e92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Portsmouth

iTrader: (0)

I wasn't looking for any backing from anyone,I think the CSLs look far nicer than the 230s that preceeded it.Personally i couldnt care less what anyone else thinks as its what i think that counts.Everyone is entitled to their opinion,i just thought i'd share some pics thats all.I didn't expect the purists to like them
__________________
e92 335i|Titanium silver|19" Hyper Black CSLs|evolve remap|miltek exhaust with sport cats|pro nav|voice control|bluetooth + telematics|carbon M3 rear spoiler|xenons
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 10:06 AM   #25
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
46
Rep
3,723
Posts

 
Drives: 08' 335i Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Aberdeen

iTrader: (0)

I don't think anyone actually said they did not like them, just prefered 230s??

Nobody made stupid comments that Halfords ones were better until you did.

An opinion is an opinion, but there is a line where an opinion is too far fetched to be taken seriously.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 10:11 AM   #26
scooby-tc
Private First Class
scooby-tc's Avatar
United Kingdom
2
Rep
104
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 e92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Portsmouth

iTrader: (0)

I never once said halfords wheels were better so if you want to quote me try reading my posts first.I said they look no better (visually) than some of the offerings in Halfords meaning that all solid 5 spoke alloys are a pretty similar style.You are obviously a purist and rate the 230s over everything else but fortunately i like my cars to look a little different from all the rest.I am not going to get into a petty arguement with you you have your opinions and so do i

Lets leave it there
__________________
e92 335i|Titanium silver|19" Hyper Black CSLs|evolve remap|miltek exhaust with sport cats|pro nav|voice control|bluetooth + telematics|carbon M3 rear spoiler|xenons
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 10:32 AM   #27
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
46
Rep
3,723
Posts

 
Drives: 08' 335i Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Aberdeen

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby-tc View Post
I never once said halfords wheels were better so if you want to quote me try reading my posts first.I said they look no better (visually) than some of the offerings in Halfords meaning that all solid 5 spoke alloys are a pretty similar style.You are obviously a purist and rate the 230s over everything else but fortunately i like my cars to look a little different from all the rest.I am not going to get into a petty arguement with you you have your opinions and so do i

Lets leave it there
If you feel what you see on offer in Halfords is visually as good, that worries me that you can't see any difference.

I will leave it at this too. It just came across as a cheap bitchy remark and even considering all, I still can't even begin to think how you can compare designs. Nothing is remotely close from what I've seen.

I've nothing against CSL wheels, they look good and seem to suit some cars better than others.

Nothing to do with being a purist I just think the smoothness of the 230s blend in far better to the lines of the e92. Smooth lines of a coupe and smooth lines of the 5 spokes with contours work with each other in my opinion.

On saying that, it seems loads of people are going down the CSL replica route at the moment. So obviously lots of people either prefer them or cost is the issue.

Each to their own, without making cheap comments.

You would have known posting on a BMW site comparing quality products to Halfords of all places was going to stir a response?

I should not have raised to the bait.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 10:58 AM   #28
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
dxb335d's Avatar
England
381
Rep
29,293
Posts

 
Drives: E46 M3 CS
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ''Fandango Towers''

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
230's look properly classy and expensive. I would add that CSL's rims in that colour look more halfordy!!!

They do look good on E46's obviously and also E90/91. Not E92 in my opinion.
__________________
997.2 GT3
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 11:05 AM   #29
MB London
Come as you are
MB London's Avatar
United Kingdom
17
Rep
1,140
Posts

 
Drives: F10 520d M-sport
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
230's look properly classy and expensive. I would add that CSL's rims in that colour look more halfordy!!!

They do look good on E46's obviously and also E90/91. Not E92 in my opinion.
BMW's M division would argue that point as they have stuck CSL's on the competion M3
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 11:09 AM   #30
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
dxb335d's Avatar
England
381
Rep
29,293
Posts

 
Drives: E46 M3 CS
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ''Fandango Towers''

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
AH yeah they do suit the M3 E92 definately. It's FAR more aggressive looking than non M/// E92 with it's wider arches and bonnet bulge.

They just don't suit normal E92's. Just like 230's wouldn't suit an E92
M3.
__________________
997.2 GT3
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 11:12 AM   #31
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
46
Rep
3,723
Posts

 
Drives: 08' 335i Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Aberdeen

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB London View Post
BMW's M division would argue that point as they have stuck CSL's on the competion M3
The M3 is far more pumped up than the standard E92 though.

The wheels that were on the frozen grey M3 I saw today were far more aggressive than CSL replicas on e92s.

They had for more dish on the front wheels and just look higher quality.

I think most of the replica front wheels look too square and flat.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 11:16 AM   #32
Nick999
Lieutenant
Nick999's Avatar
England
7
Rep
442
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i M Sport
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bristol

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I think those CSL's look fantastic. Great contrast with the silver paintwork. Would be my next choice after LM's and maybe M6's
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 12:29 PM   #33
jabroni80
First Lieutenant
jabroni80's Avatar
Scotland
4
Rep
312
Posts

 
Drives: e91 320 m sport touring
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Glasgow

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick999 View Post
I think those CSL's look fantastic. Great contrast with the silver paintwork. Would be my next choice after LM's and maybe M6's

I agree. Nice set of bbs wheels or csl style alloys look far better on any bmw.

Got to ask yourself....what car would stand out in the crowd an e92 with csl's or 230's? I reckon the car with 230's wouldn't stand a chance... far to bland looking.

The 225m's on a e92....that's a different story look great but you probably wouldn't get to far on them before cracks start appearing
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 12:41 PM   #34
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
46
Rep
3,723
Posts

 
Drives: 08' 335i Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Aberdeen

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabroni80 View Post
I agree. Nice set of bbs wheels or csl style alloys look far better on any bmw.

Got to ask yourself....what car would stand out in the crowd an e92 with csl's or 230's? I reckon the car with 230's wouldn't stand a chance... far to bland looking.

The 225m's on a e92....that's a different story look great but you probably wouldn't get to far on them before cracks start appearing
230s.

Probably seen more CSL reps than I've seen 230s.

Big shinny wheels show off the cars lines. Maybe look at the entire car and not focus on the wheel itself.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 01:12 PM   #35
jabroni80
First Lieutenant
jabroni80's Avatar
Scotland
4
Rep
312
Posts

 
Drives: e91 320 m sport touring
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Glasgow

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
230s.

Probably seen more CSL reps than I've seen 230s.

Big shinny wheels show off the cars lines. Maybe look at the entire car and not focus on the wheel itself.
Im sorry Kerr but you can't be serious....more e92's running csl's than 230's? I don't even believe you think that mate.

Fair enough you prefer your 230's but they don't draw your eye like a set of Csl's. I reckon the 225 alloy suits the e92 best but i really think the look of the 230 is just bland. No doubt it will be a quality made alloy and as you see people have there own taste but its far more common than a csl style alloy.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 01:19 PM   #36
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
46
Rep
3,723
Posts

 
Drives: 08' 335i Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Aberdeen

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabroni80 View Post
Im sorry Kerr but you can't be serious....more e92's running csl's than 230's? I don't even believe you think that mate.

Fair enough you prefer your 230's but they don't draw your eye like a set of Csl's. I reckon the 225 alloy suits the e92 best but i really think the look of the 230 is just bland. No doubt it will be a quality made alloy and as you see people have there own taste but its far more common than a csl style alloy.
Are 230s not leading the vote in this thread for looking better?

I don't see many 230s. Most SEs seem to have smaller wheels and 230s are not fitted to M sport cars.

Just look around the site and tell me if you see more 230s than CSL reps.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 01:41 PM   #37
ADV.1 Matt
Lieutenant Colonel
ADV.1 Matt's Avatar
36
Rep
1,512
Posts

 
Drives: N/A
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Miami, FL

iTrader: (0)

Heck I like both of them!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 01:45 PM   #38
Mike in Hampshire
Lieutenant
6
Rep
536
Posts

 
Drives: None at present!
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: England

iTrader: (1)

Different view here.......as in, I like my 230's because they're easy to clean! I think a big part of a wheel's visual effect is how clean/dirty they are. I've never cleaned CSL's but they look a bit fiddly to clean. However you can get 230's looking very clean in 10 minutes.

Plus, wouldn't the CSL's be considered a mod by the insurers? Anyone know if it affects the premium much (having non-standard wheels, I mean)?

Cleaning and insurance premiums. God, I'm getting old.

Mike.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 01:45 PM   #39
jimmylimmy
Captain
jimmylimmy's Avatar
9
Rep
840
Posts

 
Drives: 'charged VXR8
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK

iTrader: (2)

you will agree with Kerr, resistance if futile
__________________
E92 335d Stealth Edition | Gone
VXR8 Wortec Carbon Edition | Gone
Golf R | Incoming...
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 01:52 PM   #40
jimmylimmy
Captain
jimmylimmy's Avatar
9
Rep
840
Posts

 
Drives: 'charged VXR8
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Hampshire View Post
Different view here.......as in, I like my 230's because they're easy to clean! I think a big part of a wheel's visual effect is how clean/dirty they are. I've never cleaned CSL's but they look a bit fiddly to clean. However you can get 230's looking very clean in 10 minutes.

Plus, wouldn't the CSL's be considered a mod by the insurers? Anyone know if it affects the premium much (having non-standard wheels, I mean)?

Cleaning and insurance premiums. God, I'm getting old.

Mike.
I have both, 230's and AluFelgen SF71's which are pretty much CSL-a-likes

IMO, the CSL's are a more "agressive" looking wheel which suits the rest of my mods. The 230's look a little out of place now. Back when my car was totally standard, the 230's looked the bowlacks (to quote dxb), but they dont suit the M-Sport as much as 225's do. They are by far the best style for an unmodded (stylistically) E92 SE though.
__________________
E92 335d Stealth Edition | Gone
VXR8 Wortec Carbon Edition | Gone
Golf R | Incoming...
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 02:04 PM   #41
Mike in Hampshire
Lieutenant
6
Rep
536
Posts

 
Drives: None at present!
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: England

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmylimmy View Post
They are by far the best style for an unmodded (stylistically) E92 SE though.
Agreed. My car's mods are under the skin (OK, slightly lowered), I like the stock look.

Scooby, do like your CSL's though - plus you have the best car colour too, and a great postcode!

Mike.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 02:07 PM   #42
scooby-tc
Private First Class
scooby-tc's Avatar
United Kingdom
2
Rep
104
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 e92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Portsmouth

iTrader: (0)

Thanks MiH
__________________
e92 335i|Titanium silver|19" Hyper Black CSLs|evolve remap|miltek exhaust with sport cats|pro nav|voice control|bluetooth + telematics|carbon M3 rear spoiler|xenons
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 02:10 PM   #43
scooby-tc
Private First Class
scooby-tc's Avatar
United Kingdom
2
Rep
104
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 e92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Portsmouth

iTrader: (0)

Hopefully i will get some decent pics of the car once i have snowfoamed and polished it up.The car as a whole looks so much better than the standard look but i guess a lot of that is down to the cosmetic mods to the car which makes it stand out from the standard looking e92s
__________________
e92 335i|Titanium silver|19" Hyper Black CSLs|evolve remap|miltek exhaust with sport cats|pro nav|voice control|bluetooth + telematics|carbon M3 rear spoiler|xenons
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 02:23 PM   #44
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
dxb335d's Avatar
England
381
Rep
29,293
Posts

 
Drives: E46 M3 CS
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ''Fandango Towers''

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabroni80 View Post
Im sorry Kerr but you can't be serious....more e92's running csl's than 230's? I don't even believe you think that mate.

Fair enough you prefer your 230's but they don't draw your eye like a set of Csl's. I reckon the 225 alloy suits the e92 best but i really think the look of the 230 is just bland. No doubt it will be a quality made alloy and as you see people have there own taste but its far more common than a csl style alloy.
Parked up the 230's are far more striking than CSL's as they look oversize due to the design.
__________________
997.2 GT3
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:10 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST