E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Leak at front of E90 N54 335i

07-03-2014, 01:21 PM   #1
EhFit
Enlisted Member

Drives: Alpine White 335i M-Sport

Leak at front of E90 N54 335i

While I was locking my car up in the garage last night before I left for work I noticed a wet patch on the floor at the front of the car. I've attached pics, there is no discernible smell etc on the wet area, unfortunately I could only snap a couple quick pics then I had to go, I'll attach them to the bottom of this post.

Any ideas what it could be/what's caused it? Coolant? Water?

Thanks in advance

07-03-2014, 03:28 PM   #2
phil200tdi
Colonel

Drives: 335i M Sport E90 LCI manual

Air con condensation.
      07-03-2014, 05:18 PM   #3
kev335i
Private

Drives: E93 335i M-Sport

+1 were u running ac before parking?
If that is the case u can save any repair Bill money and screed the garage floor!!!
      07-03-2014, 11:47 PM   #4
EhFit
Enlisted Member

Nope, no aircon running. I very rarely run the aircon. The car had only made a 2-3 minute journey and that was over 24 hours before I snapped the pics!?

Kev335i, I already looked into a screed that was the original plan but that pic doesn't even show half the garage. Once we got a laser level out, the difference at the other side would be too much, so I think when I get back from work in a couple weeks I'll be digging the whole lot out and starting afresh!

Last edited by EhFit; 07-04-2014 at 12:23 AM.
      07-03-2014, 11:58 PM   #5
gangzoom
Major

Drives: E90 335i M sport

Check your coolant level, it may be a leak from your electric water pump. It's a common fault on these cars, quite a few forum members have had pleasure to experience the same issue, my self included
      07-04-2014, 01:14 AM   #6
phil200tdi
Colonel

Drives: 335i M Sport E90 LCI manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom
Check your coolant level, it may be a leak from your electric water pump. It's a common fault on these cars, quite a few forum members have had pleasure to experience the same issue, my self included
+1.

The next thing to check. Didn't want to bring the gloom straight away though.
      07-04-2014, 01:40 AM   #7
stashtrey
Major

Drives: 08 335xi Sedan Titanium Silver

Garage List
Check the coolant tube/line that runs over the top of your radiator in between large coolant hose on front passenger corner and driver corner. Mine ruptured and leaked in the same area....and sprayed coolant all over the entire engine compartment as I was on the freeway. It is a brittle plastic tube that will easily crack. Worth checking.
      07-04-2014, 01:40 AM   #8
EhFit
Enlisted Member

I'm away for 2 weeks so can't do anything until I'm back. Is the pump an expensive job? Would my BMW extended warranty cover it?

Not came at the best time, the car was booked in for an MOT, a few days beforehand the windscreen developed a crack (while travelling home from a brake fluid service), booked a replacement windscreen but now my MOT has expired and windscreen won't be fixed until I get home.
      07-04-2014, 03:42 AM   #9
K_M79
Captain

Drives: E92 335i Msport

As said check water pump and yes warranty will cover this.
K_M79 is offline   Scotland
      07-04-2014, 08:44 AM   #10
EhFit
Enlisted Member

Thanks for the help so far folks. Hopefully its nothing too major, seeing as my nearest BMW dealer is 60 miles away.
      07-15-2014, 01:41 PM   #11
EhFit
Enlisted Member

Just returned from my 2 weeks away at work and see this (see pic). Looks like it has a slight blue tint to it, so I'm going with coolant. Unfortunately I've picked up an injury at work which is seriously limiting my mobility for trying to investigate things further.
Attached Images

07-16-2014, 01:35 PM   #12
K_M79
Captain

Drives: E92 335i Msport

What colours you're screen wash?Could be the O/S headlamp wash telescope leaking.
K_M79 is offline   Scotland
      07-16-2014, 03:51 PM   #13
EhFit
Enlisted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_M79 View Post
What colours you're screen wash?Could be the O/S headlamp wash telescope leaking.
Screenwash is also blue. I have topped the screen wash reservoir right up, see if it drops any over the next couple days. Also managed to find the exact point where its collecting and dropping so got a little pot catching it.
      07-17-2014, 05:58 AM   #14
jordon335
Enlisted Member

Drives: 3 series

That is where my car leaked. Electronic water pump was failed.
      07-17-2014, 06:08 AM   #15
gangzoom
Major

Drives: E90 335i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by EhFit View Post
I'm away for 2 weeks so can't do anything until I'm back. Is the pump an expensive job? Would my BMW extended warranty cover it?

Not came at the best time, the car was booked in for an MOT, a few days beforehand the windscreen developed a crack (while travelling home from a brake fluid service), booked a replacement windscreen but now my MOT has expired and windscreen won't be fixed until I get home.
The BMW warranty will cover the pump, don't BMW do some kind of pick up service?? I wouldn't recommend trying to drive 60 mile with a broken water pump, especially in the current weather, I got 1 mile before the dashboard light up with warning/error messages due to high water temperatures...

Oil and water is what keeps the engine alive, I would get it sorted ASAP, especially when your paying for a BMW warranty.
      07-17-2014, 12:07 PM   #16
EhFit
Enlisted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
The BMW warranty will cover the pump, don't BMW do some kind of pick up service?? I wouldn't recommend trying to drive 60 mile with a broken water pump, especially in the current weather, I got 1 mile before the dashboard light up with warning/error messages due to high water temperatures...

Oil and water is what keeps the engine alive, I would get it sorted ASAP, especially when your paying for a BMW warranty.
My problem at the minute is the car has no MOT, because the windshield cracked meaning I would fail the MOT I had scheduled. Im now home from work so the windscreen is getting replaced tomorrow (after a 3 week wait). Coolant level looks fine in the car too.

I've been letting the fluid collect overnight, I'm inclined to think its screen wash but can't be certain as I topped the reservoir right up last night and it hasn't dipped whatsoever, but a good amount of fluid has collected in the pot I set up. Very blue and watery, no discernible smell.

I'll post up a pic shortly.
      07-17-2014, 12:16 PM   #17
afalton
Second Lieutenant

Drives: bmw e92 330i m sport

Put a piece of plain white paper underneath and see the colour it is might help diagnosis of what's leaking
afalton is offline   United Kingdom
      07-17-2014, 12:22 PM   #18
EhFit
Enlisted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afalton View Post
Put a piece of plain white paper underneath and see the colour it is might help diagnosis of what's leaking
I've collected a pot of the leaking fluid, looks similar to the colour of the screen wash which was in the reservoir (dregs of screen wash was used to top up the reservoir before I collected any fluid).

I know BMW coolant is blue, but thats just from reading online, I have no idea how blue it is. So my coolant and screen wash are both blue.

I do have green screenwash in the garage, so I suppose I could completely empty the screen wash reservoir and top up with the green then see if it leaks green fluid.
      07-17-2014, 04:31 PM   #19
EhFit
Enlisted Member

Pic of the liquid. Wish I'd thought to collect it first before the last on the screen wash went in. Im starting to wonder if the little strainer is clogged up with gunk?
Attached Images

Last edited by EhFit; 07-17-2014 at 05:54 PM.
      07-20-2014, 08:57 AM   #20
EhFit
Enlisted Member

Removed most of arch liner, straight away noticed this. Where the pipe was brown it was soaking wet (line from reservoir to pumps?). I can't find the actual split though.

I think the braided line above is damaged too but not sure.

3rd pic shows the puddle collected underneath the arch by the time it took me to put the wheel back on.

I've since ran the reservoir dry, took it out right now for an extremely spirited drive and oil temps were fine.
Attached Images