E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 335i remaps

06-09-2014, 04:18 AM   #1
Joeywong

Drives: E92 335i M Sport

335i remaps

Hi has anyone on the forum had any remap experience with BW Chiptune in Hayes? Looking to remap my 335i but most reviews are done on 335d. I thought about a JB4 but would like a proper map on a rolling road...
      06-09-2014, 05:04 AM   #2
turbs
Banned

Drives: 335 M Sport

The jb4 has allot more advantages. You can code read, gauge hijack, datalog etc etc. I used to be sceptical of a "piggy bag" style tune but considering a large majority of n54 owners run a jb4 over a Remap im starting to wonder that the jb4 is a "proper" tune for the N54.
turbs is offline   United Kingdom
      06-09-2014, 05:11 AM   #3
Joeywong

do you use a JB4? My worry over a JB4 is that it is not a custom map specific for your car... also I would like to see the comparison on a rolling road with a standard car and a remapped car.
      06-09-2014, 08:11 AM   #4
Inq

Drives: E92 335i

I was sceptical about JB4 at first, but my car runs well on it. Changing maps and settings from the driver seat is useful.

Also as Turbs said it has its other uses, The software that comes with it is useful for diagnostics, rattle fix, boost leak hunting etc
Inq is offline   Scotland
      06-09-2014, 08:43 AM   #5
djgandy
Captain

Drives: E92 335i MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeywong View Post
do you use a JB4? My worry over a JB4 is that it is not a custom map specific for your car... also I would like to see the comparison on a rolling road with a standard car and a remapped car.

"Specific" remaps are overrated. Unless you are in competition and 0.1s per lap counts.
      06-09-2014, 08:53 AM   #6
turbs
Banned

You'll find you specific map is actually a canned map sent via 3rd party anyway and only run on rollers to check its ok. Essentially what every tuner does. Maybe the odd tweak but nothing major.
      06-09-2014, 08:59 AM   #7
windymissile
Lieutenant

Drives: 335i M Sport

The JB4 uses the actual road and your driving to modify itself as you are driving. (in map 5) So you are always getting the best from your current conditions.
Not to mention all the other benefits and the superb aftercare.

WM
      06-09-2014, 09:12 AM   #8
djgandy
Captain

Drives: E92 335i MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbs View Post
You'll find you specific map is actually a canned map sent via 3rd party anyway and only run on rollers to check its ok. Essentially what every tuner does. Maybe the odd tweak but nothing major.
Yep, you are just buying into an idea when you get a "Custom tuned map". The idea being that you have a team of engineers working on your car to get every last inch of out it. Reality is any fat nerd with a computer can press a button and the map goes on. Unless of course you shell out about 2k, in which case you can actually have that and you may get a few extra horsepower and a recommendation that you go catless DP, Single turbo and many other things if you actually want more power.

Last edited by djgandy; 06-09-2014 at 09:22 AM.
      06-09-2014, 09:15 AM   #9
Yoro35i
TROll

Drives: E92 335I M

If you want a real map with the advantage of code reading, change map or remove the map completly for dealer visits then look no further to Cobb V3, you can also get a custom map maximise the gain as normally the maps are writting for specific stage with a high safety margin.

You can connect the device to read oil temp, boost etc, i have v2 and think its much better altho it doesn't let you change map as quick as jb4 and dail hijacks etc.

Also where r u based? Im sure if we have member near you, its better to see the real thing than reading it all
Yoro35i is offline   United Kingdom
      06-09-2014, 10:18 AM   #10
Russbmw
First Lieutenant

Drives: '09 e92 335

To answer your question posted initially.

Yes, I have used Jason @ BW for quite a while, and he has remapped a number of my cars and those of people I know - but I have not had the 335 remapped (concerns regarding over-stressing the already fragile turbos).

I like using Jason as he used to be a BMW tech, so knows BMWs well from a mechanical perspective, rather than being a file "copy & paste" tuning setup.

CLICK ON MY SIGNATURE PICTURE BELOW FOR MY DETAILING WORK PAGE!
Russbmw is offline   United Kingdom
      06-09-2014, 01:13 PM   #11
Joeywong

Quote:
Originally Posted by windymissile View Post
The JB4 uses the actual road and your driving to modify itself as you are driving. (in map 5) So you are always getting the best from your current conditions.
Not to mention all the other benefits and the superb aftercare.

WM
How does map 5 work? And what PSI will it run and does it adapt to bolt on mods if I decide to fit them later?

Thanks all for your comments, I have looked at the installation of the JB4 but looks more complicated than I thought and do not want to mess up the car. Anyone know where I can get the JB4 fitted if I was to buy one? I am based near Reading (Berkshire). Also is it worth buying the DCI at the same time?
      06-09-2014, 02:58 PM   #12
gangzoom
Major

Drives: E90 335i M sport

Look at the OpenFlash tablet, looks like a good alternative to JB4/Procede tunes

http://www.procedetuning.com/BMW/n54...ash/index.html
      06-09-2014, 03:43 PM   #13
turbs
Banned

Openflash= FAIL!

Too many issues.
      06-09-2014, 04:19 PM   #14
windymissile
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeywong View Post
How does map 5 work? And what PSI will it run and does it adapt to bolt on mods if I decide to fit them later?
Anyone know where I can get the JB4 fitted if I was to buy one? I am based near Reading (Berkshire). Also is it worth buying the DCI at the same time?
The JB4 monitors every aspect of the engine's performance.
Timing. Airflow. Intake temps. Fuel octane. As well as probably 50 other things.
It then adjusts boost levels and timing to give you optimum boost for any given situation. I think it can give up to 16psi on Map 5. If you can get higher octane fuel / Meth, then you can get a specific map setting for map 6 from Terry at Burger Motorsport.
The DCI would be at the bottom of the mod list. Downpipes first then Intercooler.

Don't worry about the install. There are plenty of members about now to help you.
It really is plug and play. Make sure you get the USB cable for on the go monitoring from your mobile. I was amazed at how well it worked.
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21742

Give me a shout if you have any more Q's.. Although I can only comment on the JB4.

WM
      06-09-2014, 10:19 PM   #15
phil200tdi
Colonel

Drives: 335i M Sport E90 LCI manual

There are a number of open source (free) flashes available now and a wide range of bespoke maps (wedge performance) being offered and loaded yourself with the Bavarian Technics OBDII cable.

I've got a jb4 stacked with a wedge flash.. It's awesome.

ProTuning Freaks are the only ones I'd pay to tune my car...
      06-09-2014, 11:06 PM   #16
Yoro35i
TROll

I am in basingstoke, if u ever want to see how cobb works, i think there is a few members closer with jb4 to show you the guage hi jack etc?

Cobb runs higher boost than jb4 to achieve the same result. I think my logs has boost spike
Upto 20psi for a split second but peak boost around 16psi ish
      06-09-2014, 11:08 PM   #17
Yoro35i
TROll

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil200tdi View Post
There are a number of open source (free) flashes available now and a wide range of bespoke maps (wedge performance) being offered and loaded yourself with the Bavarian Technics OBDII cable.

I've got a jb4 stacked with a wedge flash.. It's awesome.

ProTuning Freaks are the only ones I'd pay to tune my car...
I bought ptf pro tune for my car phil, need to get walnut blast first then i work on my custom map.

Is jb4 plus wedge flash similar to cobb with pro tune?
      06-09-2014, 11:22 PM   #18
phil200tdi
Colonel

Quite similar in that the wedge flash is manipulating the timing and fueling tables and boost - similar to any flash.. But the wedge flesh can be designed to work in conjunction with the JB4 - with low boost targets because the piggy back will correct these on the basis of octane and conditions (Autotuning). Mine is an aggressive meth map so it pulls like a f*cking train yet still gives very good MPG. Its a good (and relatively cheap) compromise.

Cobb has more fine grained support than most tuning devices - which is why PTF use it. I wonder whether they can now do the same tuning with the BT cable, cutting out 400 from the cost of a map..??
      06-10-2014, 03:19 AM   #19
idnan
Major

Drives: Alpine White 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil200tdi View Post
Quite similar in that the wedge flash is manipulating the timing and fueling tables and boost - similar to any flash.. But the wedge flesh can be designed to work in conjunction with the JB4 - with low boost targets because the piggy back will correct these on the basis of octane and conditions (Autotuning). Mine is an aggressive meth map so it pulls like a f*cking train yet still gives very good MPG. Its a good (and relatively cheap) compromise.

Cobb has more fine grained support than most tuning devices - which is why PTF use it. I wonder whether they can now do the same tuning with the BT cable, cutting out 400 from the cost of a map..??
It'll never happen, as datalogging with the BT cable is no where near as good as the Cobb AP. Which brings me on to my next point, I really hope those of you who are using the Wedge flash are doing logs as it is far more aggressive than the BMS flash and there have been a few reports of things going wrong.

Cobb/JB4 you can't go wrong really. Although is Terry still giving full email support these days? I read something on one of the forums that he wasn't. I've had both and prefer the Cobb with the PTF but that's more down to safety due to the mods I'm running.
idnan is offline   England
      06-10-2014, 03:33 AM   #20
windymissile
Lieutenant

I last heard from Terry about 3 weeks ago when I asked about problems with my car. He replied within 3 hours..
I also read the same on another forum, but my experience was different.

WM
      06-10-2014, 04:17 AM   #21
phil200tdi
Colonel

I think idnan means jb4 stacked with Cobb support?! Not just JB4 alone - terry is very responsive for jb4 in my experience.

I've been logging after getting the wedge map and more recently to help with a new set of misfires.. Wedge knows his stuff, but as you say going leaner for fuel economy will always introduce more risks...

I think I've blown the valve cover gasket again or the job was done poorly last time.. Oil on the spark plug threads causin my troubles..
      06-10-2014, 07:33 AM   #22
2010MSportTwin

Drives: 2010 335i M-Sport

What issues have you had?