E90Post
 


PYSPEED
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > March Production E90s - TPMS or not?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-11-2007, 01:59 PM   #1
Thor
Private
 
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan (on order)
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Cruz County

Posts: 71
iTrader: (0)

March Production E90s - TPMS or not?

A while back there were some posts stating that e92 had TPMS but e90 did not.

Other posts then stated that e90 will have TPMS starting with the March 2007 production.

So all you guys with March production Sedans - do you have TPMS or not?

Thanks.
Thor is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-11-2007, 02:09 PM   #2
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
 
LEDZEP's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Area 51

Posts: 12,277
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Um, I'm probably just dumb, but you'll need to tell me what TPMS is first.

I know all about PMS... but not sure what the T is for.
__________________


I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
LEDZEP is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-11-2007, 02:12 PM   #3
Thor
Private
 
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan (on order)
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Cruz County

Posts: 71
iTrader: (0)

TPMS is the tire pressure monitoring system - the active one with the sensors in the wheels.
Thor is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-11-2007, 02:15 PM   #4
txusa03
Major General
 
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Planet Earth

Posts: 6,567
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
Um, I'm probably just dumb, but you'll need to tell me what TPMS is first.

I know all about PMS... but not sure what the T is for.
yo LEDZEP man, get your head out of the gutter , it is Tire Pressure Monitor System

BTW, to OP, I cannot answer that questions since I am not fortunate enuf to have a 07 e90 like some folks on here who just traded in their 06 for an 07 e90 (hm who could that be)
__________________
under construction!
txusa03 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-11-2007, 02:16 PM   #5
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
 
LEDZEP's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Area 51

Posts: 12,277
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Oh. It must, because my owner's manual covers it. It has two sections: Flat Tire Warning and Tire Pressure Monitor.
__________________


I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
LEDZEP is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-11-2007, 02:20 PM   #6
Noob
Private First Class
 
Drives: 335 e90
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mississauga

Posts: 141
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
A while back there were some posts stating that e92 had TPMS but e90 did not.

Other posts then stated that e90 will have TPMS starting with the March 2007 production.

So all you guys with March production Sedans - do you have TPMS or not?

Thanks.
My 335 sedan is from January 07 production and I have TPMS.
Noob is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-11-2007, 02:29 PM   #7
E90Fleet
Major General
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Africa

Posts: 7,906
iTrader: (0)

I think some are getting confused

The question is does the March production USA E90'd have the crappy US DOT mandated tire pressure system that uses a sensor in the wheel to determine if one is flat, like on the USA E92, instead of the original more advanced system as found in all contries not served by BMW NA and older E90
__________________
Nominated: Member of the Year, Most Contributing Member


BMW if you are reading, I need a job
E90Fleet is offline   South Africa
0
Reply With Quote
      04-11-2007, 02:32 PM   #8
E90Fleet
Major General
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Africa

Posts: 7,906
iTrader: (0)

I dont have access to the march production data today, so can only check later

People with USA march production E90 can check if they have this sensor on the inside of the wheel arch cover

__________________
Nominated: Member of the Year, Most Contributing Member


BMW if you are reading, I need a job
E90Fleet is offline   South Africa
0
Reply With Quote
      04-11-2007, 02:33 PM   #9
Noob
Private First Class
 
Drives: 335 e90
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mississauga

Posts: 141
iTrader: (0)

What is a quaestion? lol
Noob is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-11-2007, 02:34 PM   #10
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
 
LEDZEP's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Area 51

Posts: 12,277
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
I think some are getting confused

The quaestion is does the March production USA E90'd have the crappy US DOT mandated tire pressure system that uses a sensor in the wheel to determine if one is flat, like on the USA E92, instead of the original more advanced system as found in all contries not served by BMW NA and older E90
Well mister, you're not going to get that work visa approved any faster by bashing our DOT.

I guess this would also explain why my new car has metal valve stems instead of rubber ones. And I thought they were just going upscale. I'm a dolt on this topic and would love to learn more... the manual is sparse.
__________________


I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
LEDZEP is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-11-2007, 02:39 PM   #11
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
 
JSpira's Avatar
 
Drives: Fünfer, Dreier, +
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New York, München, Wien

Posts: 5,245
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
The question is does the March production USA E90'd have the crappy US DOT mandated tire pressure system that uses a sensor in the wheel to determine if one is flat, like on the USA E92, instead of the original more advanced system as found in all contries not served by BMW NA and older E90
How is the older system more advanced? The older system tells you if you have a flat (hence, Flat Tire Monitor) but not if all 4 go low. The new system is supposed to give better information.
__________________
Freude am Fahren.

Jonathan




E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired


Nominated: Most Contributing Member
JSpira is offline   Austria
0
Reply With Quote
      04-11-2007, 02:40 PM   #12
caesardog217
Private First Class
 
caesardog217's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 E90 335i
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: maryland

Posts: 148
iTrader: (0)

Yes, I just orderd my car on 3/26 and it has it. Maybe thats why the price went up
__________________
caesardog217 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-11-2007, 02:42 PM   #13
gary328xi
JetInsp
 
gary328xi's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 328 XI & 335i
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Woodbridge, NJ

Posts: 289
iTrader: (1)

Easy was to find out..DO YOU HAVE RUBBER OR RIGID VALVE STEMS??

Rubber= FTM
Rigid= TPMS
gary328xi is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-11-2007, 02:43 PM   #14
Noob
Private First Class
 
Drives: 335 e90
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mississauga

Posts: 141
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caesardog217 View Post
Yes, I just orderd my car on 3/26 and it has it. Maybe thats why the price went up
The price has gone up?
By how much?
Noob is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-11-2007, 02:43 PM   #15
E90Fleet
Major General
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Africa

Posts: 7,906
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
Well mister, you're not going to get that work visa approved any faster by bashing our DOT.

I guess this would also explain why my new car has metal valve stems instead of rubber ones. And I thought they were just going upscale. I'm a dolt on this topic and would love to learn more... the manual is sparse.

Ah, I think the metal stems are another clue



In a nutshell

The US DOT decided that by 2009 all new cars sold in the USA need to be fitted with a system to tell the driver if the car has a flat.

BMW already had such a system, as did other European manufacturers.
Infact, they were n the 2nd generation of this system that used ABS sensors to determine if there was a rolling diameter change in the wheel, which would mean it was loosing pressure.


But the DOT wants all cars to have a sensor inside the wheels, which is how the 1st generation systems worked on things like the early 7 Series.

This unlike the 2nd generation system, causes the alert to sound if you fit a wheel without a sensor and the sensors can get damaged when new tires are fitted.

But the DOT makes the rules, so last year the USA 5 Series got them, as did the E92.
Seems the E90 now also got them.

The rest of the world keeps the 2nd generation system
__________________
Nominated: Member of the Year, Most Contributing Member


BMW if you are reading, I need a job
E90Fleet is offline   South Africa
0
Reply With Quote
      04-11-2007, 02:45 PM   #16
gary328xi
JetInsp
 
gary328xi's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 328 XI & 335i
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Woodbridge, NJ

Posts: 289
iTrader: (1)

$200 on invoice and $80 more for delivery.
gary328xi is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-11-2007, 02:46 PM   #17
E90Fleet
Major General
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Africa

Posts: 7,906
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpira View Post
How is the older system more advanced? The older system tells you if you have a flat (hence, Flat Tire Monitor) but not if all 4 go low. The new system is supposed to give better information.
As you could tell from my above post

The 1st generation systems used a sensor in the wheel, as found in early E65 7 Series

The 2nd generation system doesnt, is more accurate, and doesnt have the drawbacks of the 1st generation system

But DOT rules call for a 1st generation type system

Thats why only the USA gets it


BMW had a nice training video on this when the USA 5 Series changed last year
__________________
Nominated: Member of the Year, Most Contributing Member


BMW if you are reading, I need a job
E90Fleet is offline   South Africa
0
Reply With Quote
      04-11-2007, 02:48 PM   #18
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
 
JSpira's Avatar
 
Drives: Fünfer, Dreier, +
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New York, München, Wien

Posts: 5,245
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
As you could tell from my above post

The 1st generation systems used a sensor in the wheel, as found in early E65 7 Series

The 2nd generation system doesnt, is more accurate, and doesnt have the drawbacks of the 1st generation system

But DOT rules call for a 1st generation type system

Thats why only the USA gets it
Isn´t there then a third system, which is/was the FTM?
__________________
Freude am Fahren.

Jonathan




E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired


Nominated: Most Contributing Member
JSpira is offline   Austria
0
Reply With Quote
      04-11-2007, 02:50 PM   #19
LIQUIX
Private
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Orlando

Posts: 74
iTrader: (0)

So for those of with March production E90's, we cannot just simply change our wheels, but we must purchase the TPMS from TireRack? If we don't then we will get a warning light, correct?
LIQUIX is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-11-2007, 02:52 PM   #20
E90Fleet
Major General
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Africa

Posts: 7,906
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpira View Post
Isn´t there then a third system, which is/was the FTM?
1st generation system was/is a TPMS, because it looks at the actual pressure in the tire itself

2nd generation system is a FTM, becuase it uses the ABS sensors to check for a flat tire. It looks at rolling diameter and not pressure
__________________
Nominated: Member of the Year, Most Contributing Member


BMW if you are reading, I need a job
E90Fleet is offline   South Africa
0
Reply With Quote
      04-11-2007, 02:54 PM   #21
E90Fleet
Major General
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Africa

Posts: 7,906
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIQUIX View Post
So for those of with March production E90's, we cannot just simply change our wheels, but we must purchase the TPMS from TireRack? If we don't then we will get a warning light, correct?
If it has the sytem, then you either need to remove the sensor from the old wheels and put htem in the new ones, or buy a new wheel sensors .
__________________
Nominated: Member of the Year, Most Contributing Member


BMW if you are reading, I need a job
E90Fleet is offline   South Africa
0
Reply With Quote
      04-11-2007, 03:07 PM   #22
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
 
JSpira's Avatar
 
Drives: Fünfer, Dreier, +
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New York, München, Wien

Posts: 5,245
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
1st generation system was/is a TPMS, because it looks at the actual pressure in the tire itself

2nd generation system is a FTM, becuase it uses the ABS sensors to check for a flat tire. It looks at rolling diameter and not pressure
OK. So you are saying that the FTM in my 330xi is better than the TPMS?

I had understood the TPMS was more accurate.
__________________
Freude am Fahren.

Jonathan




E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired


Nominated: Most Contributing Member
JSpira is offline   Austria
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:05 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST