E90Post
 


MINHS Auto Care Center
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > E90 2007 320d msport- New brake discs and pads recommendation needed



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-19-2011, 09:42 PM   #1
rude1978
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
37
Posts

 
Drives: 320d m sport
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: uk

iTrader: (0)

E90 2007 320d msport- New brake discs and pads recommendation needed

Took my car in to my local main dealer after the service and handbrake light came on and was quoted 845 for replacing all brake discs and pads.

I decided not to go ahead with it and now need recommendations as what to buy? I will also be getting them fitted by a reputable garage instead of the main dealer.

I dont mind the oem brakes but wondered if for the same money or thereabouts I could get better aftermarket ones?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 03:06 AM   #2
jabroni80
First Lieutenant
jabroni80's Avatar
Scotland
4
Rep
312
Posts

 
Drives: e91 320 m sport touring
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Glasgow

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rude1978 View Post
Took my car in to my local main dealer after the service and handbrake light came on and was quoted 845 for replacing all brake discs and pads.

I decided not to go ahead with it and now need recommendations as what to buy? I will also be getting them fitted by a reputable garage instead of the main dealer.

I dont mind the oem brakes but wondered if for the same money or thereabouts I could get better aftermarket ones?
Daylight robbery! 845 absolutely shocking on bmw should be ashamed. Get on euro car parts or gsf and get a price for discs and pads and do it yourself- its not hard to replace.

Without looking I reckon you could probably change the lot for about 300. To give you an idea, replacement discs for my E91 320d are between 50-60 each.

Ain't called the stealers for nothing! These garages should hang they're heads in shame
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 03:10 AM   #3
Boyd1963
Major
Boyd1963's Avatar
United Kingdom
16
Rep
1,301
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 320d e92
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bournemouth

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Sep 2011 E92  [0.00]
Give Anneka a call if you are near at Sytner dealer. She will be able to beat that
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 07:04 AM   #4
rude1978
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
37
Posts

 
Drives: 320d m sport
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: uk

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabroni80 View Post
Daylight robbery! 845 absolutely shocking on bmw should be ashamed. Get on euro car parts or gsf and get a price for discs and pads and do it yourself- its not hard to replace.

Without looking I reckon you could probably change the lot for about 300. To give you an idea, replacement discs for my E91 320d are between 50-60 each.

Ain't called the stealers for nothing! These garages should hang they're heads in shame
Yes I did think this took the mick! what ones do you suggest I get from the mentioned places? I heard Textar is pretty good. I have also seen some cheapish
brembo on ebay too? There is also a company called Mintbitz that do drilled/grooved discs also for a reasonable price and have good feedback.

Last edited by rude1978; 07-20-2011 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Added Mintbitz info
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 09:09 AM   #5
jabroni80
First Lieutenant
jabroni80's Avatar
Scotland
4
Rep
312
Posts

 
Drives: e91 320 m sport touring
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Glasgow

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rude1978 View Post
Yes I did think this took the mick! what ones do you suggest I get from the mentioned places? I heard Textar is pretty good. I have also seen some cheapish
brembo on ebay too? There is also a company called Mintbitz that do drilled/grooved discs also for a reasonable price and have good feedback.

Im sure I've used textar before and they were fine mate. To be honest I don't get too hung up on my brakes as I've only a 320d. Suppose if i had an M3 then that would be a different matter!
Google the discs and pads you choose for reviews. Even if you don't do the work yourself stay clear of the stealers. Independent garages usually have more experienced mechanics at a fraction of the cost....win win situation
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 10:46 AM   #6
parapaul
Colonel
parapaul's Avatar
United Kingdom
38
Rep
2,216
Posts

 
Drives: E91 330d M Sport
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Stoke on Trent

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Stay away from drilled and grooved, particularly cheap ones. They're really noisy, don't offer any benefits for normal driving, and the drilling can cause stress cracks.

I'd second the vote for Euro Car Parts or GSF.
__________________
Just how many Yorkshire sheep can you fit inside one exhaust?
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:24 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST