E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > And @ 149,300 miles ... WATER PUMP



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-10-2013, 07:30 PM   #89
ShinyRedCar
First Lieutenant
4
Rep
367
Posts

Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Water pump died at 137,890. $950 out the door of my local indy...
__________________
Jeff

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 12:37 PM   #90
drsilvershot
Second Lieutenant
drsilvershot's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
289
Posts

Drives: 08 335xi jet black
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: providence, ri

iTrader: (5)

did you replace thermostat as well?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 12:23 PM   #91
AviatorBimmer
Banned
5
Rep
554
Posts

Drives: 2007 BMW 335i E92
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (4)

My wp failed last Saturday at 1am on I-95... 2007 E92 with 91,000 miles...

Stealership and Indie both quoted me $1,300 for replacing the thermostat and wp. I will be ordering from Tischer and installing myself.

Quick question... I ordered a wifi OBD scanner and downloaded BMWhat? on my iPad. Will I be able to read and reset the codes with this? If not, which cable and software do I need? Thanks for the help guys...
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 12:35 PM   #92
nate5ks
Captain
United_States
9
Rep
620
Posts

Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Jacksonville Beach, FL

iTrader: (0)

I use BMW standard tools on my laptop and DIS. Not sure if people have been successful with this on a Mac.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 12:37 PM   #93
nate5ks
Captain
United_States
9
Rep
620
Posts

Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Jacksonville Beach, FL

iTrader: (0)

Search "bmw dcan" in ebay for your cable.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 01:55 PM   #94
AviatorBimmer
Banned
5
Rep
554
Posts

Drives: 2007 BMW 335i E92
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate5ks
Search "bmw dcan" in ebay for your cable.
Does this mean that my wifi OBD and BMWhat? will not allow me to reset water pump failure type errors? Just want to make sure before I order a dcan cable.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 02:02 PM   #95
inline6ix
Private First Class
United_States
1
Rep
160
Posts

Drives: Deep Green E90 325i
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Orlando, Florida

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Under $1k installed for a part that you'll only have to replace once in the lifetime of the vehicle isn't that bad. I'm glad everybody that talks about them failing says they've been getting codes. The minute I start getting any sort of codes related to the water pump I'm ordering mine and replacing it.
__________________
18" Staggered Style 189 - BMS 15mm - CF Grilles - LCI Headlights - BMW Performance CF Intake - 12" Blaupunkt Subwoofer
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 02:28 PM   #96
nate5ks
Captain
United_States
9
Rep
620
Posts

Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Jacksonville Beach, FL

iTrader: (0)

Try bmwwhat? first before you order a cable. Wifi obd scanner would be convenient.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 02:31 PM   #97
AviatorBimmer
Banned
5
Rep
554
Posts

Drives: 2007 BMW 335i E92
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate5ks
Try bmwwhat? first before you order a cable. Wifi obd scanner would be convenient.
Gotcha! I will do just that... thanks buddy
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 03:56 PM   #98
ShinyRedCar
First Lieutenant
4
Rep
367
Posts

Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsilvershot View Post
did you replace thermostat as well?
Yep! Indy said that was standard procedure because of its location.
__________________
Jeff

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 04:22 PM   #99
BoogeyMan'sBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
BoogeyMan'sBMW's Avatar
Bangladesh
38
Rep
1,594
Posts

Drives: SLOW
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Queens NY

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyRedCar View Post
Yep! Indy said that was standard procedure because of its location.
Yea, they are attached and if you have the car open to there you might as well. The thermostat is cheaper anyway, about 1/5 the price.

Tisher has a special for both pumo and tstat on their site
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 08:52 PM   #100
cliffschum
New Member
0
Rep
17
Posts

Drives: 2006 330
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Upstate South Carolina

iTrader: (0)

Water Pump - improved performance

Wasn't sure which water pump thread to post my experience, but I wanted to share..

My original pump was operational at 140K, but I decided to replace it based on all the negative information in this forum.. To my pleasant surprise, my vehicle runs much, much, MUCH better with the new pump. The horsepower has noticeably increased, and even my passenger has commented on how much smoother the car rides. Nothing else was done to the engine, and the repair was completed by an experienced BMW mechanic.

No, I didn't believe the new pump would make this much of a difference. I have a BavTech code reader, and there were no faults.

Cliff
2006 330i
140K
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 11:08 PM   #101
PlzCalmDown
New Member
Canada
0
Rep
12
Posts

Drives: 2006 BMW 330Xi
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Calgary, Alberta

iTrader: (0)

Contemplating water pump replacement?

Hey everyone, hopefully someone still follows this thread. I have a 2006 BMW 330xi, the low RPM code came up about two years ago. Yes, I kid you not over two years ago. For the past year, the fan has been running really loudly, maybe it always did but after the paranoia I began to notice it. When I start my car in the morning you can hear the fans blasting from outside the vehicle, when I shut the car off the fans stop, and sometimes they continue to run for a few minutes. These are all signs of WP pending failure from what I've read on this thread. Note, the fan quiets back down once I'm driving so it's not constant.

Anyways, the vehicle is now sitting at 180,000KM (hi from Canada). And after reading this thread I'm debating to replace it. Should I? I did plan to two years ago but mechanic told me to wait till it stops working before doing so as it's not cheap, so that's why over two years later I'm still waiting...

So should I just pull the trigger? Does my fan noise description describe WP?

After this... time to locate stupid squeak/creak noise on rear suspension. Sigh. No more BMW after this.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 06:48 AM   #102
Efthreeoh
Brigadier General
United_States
199
Rep
4,868
Posts

Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MARLAND

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlzCalmDown View Post
Hey everyone, hopefully someone still follows this thread. I have a 2006 BMW 330xi, the low RPM code came up about two years ago. Yes, I kid you not over two years ago. For the past year, the fan has been running really loudly, maybe it always did but after the paranoia I began to notice it. When I start my car in the morning you can hear the fans blasting from outside the vehicle, when I shut the car off the fans stop, and sometimes they continue to run for a few minutes. These are all signs of WP pending failure from what I've read on this thread. Note, the fan quiets back down once I'm driving so it's not constant.

Anyways, the vehicle is now sitting at 180,000KM (hi from Canada). And after reading this thread I'm debating to replace it. Should I? I did plan to two years ago but mechanic told me to wait till it stops working before doing so as it's not cheap, so that's why over two years later I'm still waiting...

So should I just pull the trigger? Does my fan noise description describe WP?

After this... time to locate stupid squeak/creak noise on rear suspension. Sigh. No more BMW after this.
The ECU stores every instance the WP throws a code and at what mileage. You should have the car scanned soon and see how many time the WP has thrown a code.
__________________
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 09:38 AM   #103
Mayuri Krab
The Cheap Arse Asian
Mayuri Krab's Avatar
Australia
6
Rep
226
Posts

Drives: E90 335i & R33 Skyline GTS-T
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Perth, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
The ECU stores every instance the WP throws a code and at what mileage. You should have the car scanned soon and see how many time the WP has thrown a code.
So the code (if any) would be under shadow codes (in the BT software), is that correct?

I'm on original pump at 109,000km now, so far no shadow codes thrown (last time I checked was ~100,000km, due to the car throwing up ABS/DSC errors).

Better keep an eye on it and scan every weekend now... lol
__________________
07 BMW E90 335i |JB4|AR Catless DPs|ER CP + Forge DVs|BMS DCIs|

93 R33 Skyline GTS-T |SAFC-II|3" TBE + Highflow Cat|FMIC|Boost Tee|Apexi POD
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 06:37 PM   #104
Sgop335
Lieutenant
Sgop335's Avatar
United_States
45
Rep
553
Posts

Drives: 2007 335i Coupe sport pkg
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: MD

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayuri Krab View Post
So the code (if any) would be under shadow codes (in the BT software), is that correct?

I'm on original pump at 109,000km now, so far no shadow codes thrown (last time I checked was ~100,000km, due to the car throwing up ABS/DSC errors).

Better keep an eye on it and scan every weekend now... lol
I had my water pump and thermo replaced today! 73k mi. Serpentine belt, tensioner and pulleys while at it. $1100.

Normal symptoms, yellow coolant light, then red, no power. Altho car seemed fine after restarting but changed any way. Shadow codes, were 2e81 and 2e82.
__________________
Space grau metallic / Dakota red leather
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 09:40 PM   #105
Efthreeoh
Brigadier General
United_States
199
Rep
4,868
Posts

Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MARLAND

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayuri Krab View Post
So the code (if any) would be under shadow codes (in the BT software), is that correct?

I'm on original pump at 109,000km now, so far no shadow codes thrown (last time I checked was ~100,000km, due to the car throwing up ABS/DSC errors).

Better keep an eye on it and scan every weekend now... lol
Just scan the ECU, if they are there, you will find them: 2E81 and 2E82 are the two common codes.
__________________
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 11:24 AM   #106
Mayuri Krab
The Cheap Arse Asian
Mayuri Krab's Avatar
Australia
6
Rep
226
Posts

Drives: E90 335i & R33 Skyline GTS-T
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Perth, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Just scan the ECU, if they are there, you will find them: 2E81 and 2E82 are the two common codes.
Cheers

Just scanned today and no codes (but those dam ABS/DSC module failure code remains ), looks like I'll be holding the pump change for a while.

I do have a 2000km road trip in outback Australia comming up mid of next month, am I pushing my luck too far?
__________________
07 BMW E90 335i |JB4|AR Catless DPs|ER CP + Forge DVs|BMS DCIs|

93 R33 Skyline GTS-T |SAFC-II|3" TBE + Highflow Cat|FMIC|Boost Tee|Apexi POD
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:04 AM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST