E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Cause of hesitation

09-06-2014, 07:03 PM   #1
BMW..
Lieutenant

Drives: E46 M3 /E90

Cause of hesitation

Hi guys. I have searched and searched and it seems like my car is a one of a kind case. It has a jittery cold idle but then smoothens out after a few seconds of running. The car also has random low RPM spikes every now and then when at a stop or idling

When I mash on the gas sometimes I notice it hesitates pretty badly then starts to get going after a few seconds. I always get random fuel mixture too lean or rich codes for both bank 1 and 2 but after I clear them they only come back after 3 weeks minimum. This is getting EXTREMELY annoying and frustrating. I have gotten a misfire on cylinder 5 3x recently, with one being because I let the gas level run too low. The other 2x happened a few minutes between each other and went away on its own.

I will be changing the spark plugs this next coming weekend. Is it a good idea to clean the throttle body (and replace the gasket)? I have purchased a used MAF sensor but it has had no effect even after thorough cleaning with CRC cleaner. I purchased that silicone intake boot for the hell of it too maybe there is a leak in the intake piping but I doubt it. Some have said check for vaccum leaks but I do not know what to believe anymore and am sick and tired of throwing money at the car for problems that are only speculative. I have even read online the crankcase breather hose may need to be replaced. The eccentric shaft sensor does not have any oil nor did it ever have any oil in the plug. The only thing I can think of is that the 3 stage intake manifold I put on is causing a problem but I got a used but working adjuster to replace one of the broken ones. Either that or the install was not done correctly (Paid one of the best shops in south florida to install for me)

Last edited by BMW..; 09-06-2014 at 07:08 PM.
      Today, 02:51 PM   #2
BMW..
Lieutenant

Bump. Anyone PLEASE!
      Today, 04:25 PM   #3
e90ben
Lieutenant

Drives: No more Beemer

Suggested items

1) Dirty injectors- Techron fuel inj cleaner
2) Bad 02 sensor- replace
3) Bad coil packs- replace
e90ben is offline   Canada
      Today, 04:29 PM   #4
BMW..
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90ben
Suggested items

1) Dirty injectors- Techron fuel inj cleaner
2) Bad 02 sensor- replace
3) Bad coil packs- replace
Did number 1. No fault codes ever for bad O2 sensors. I replaced the cylinder 5 ignition coil over the weekend. Should I replace all 6 spark plugs? I am still getting those fuel mixture codes too
      Today, 04:34 PM   #5
litxus
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 09 E90 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW.. View Post
Did number 1. No fault codes ever for bad O2 sensors. I replaced the cylinder 5 ignition coil over the weekend. Should I replace all 6 spark plugs? I am still getting those fuel mixture codes too
I'm thinking your injectors are starting to fail. I have almost the same issue and it is much worse than cold and way better than warmed up, to the point where I do not feel it. The problem I have is that I do not get any codes, or sometimes if I do get a check engine light, still I have no codes and it goes away.

To add, try replacing coil pack first and maybe do spark plugs. Plus, how many miles do you have on your car and when did you do spark plugs? If coil pack is good keep it as spare as those fail at random times.
      Today, 08:48 PM   #6
markus037
Private First Class

Drives: Alpine White 2010 328Xi

im having a similar issue with my car. i keep getting misfire codes. the rich codes can be caused by the misfire, misfire=unburned fuel which causes a rich fuel mixture and your 02 senors cant adapt anymore. swap the coil to another cylinder and see if the misfire moves. if it does then you have a bad coil. bmw recommends plugs every 60k in n/a cars.
      Today, 08:50 PM   #7
BMW..
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus037
im having a similar issue with my car. i keep getting misfire codes. the rich codes can be caused by the misfire, misfire=unburned fuel which causes a rich fuel mixture and your 02 senors cant adapt anymore. swap the coil to another cylinder and see if the misfire moves. if it does then you have a bad coil. bmw recommends plugs every 60k in n/a cars.
Will a misfire occur without giving off a code or will it always give off a code. Or will the car just run bad and feel like it's misfiring because of the poor condition of the plugs are coils without giving a code