E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Working in the UAE?

07-26-2011, 01:01 PM   #23
CarAbuser
Captain

Drives: E89 Z4 35i

Worked there for a while last year and really enjoyed it. Abu Dhabi is a nice place but really lacks good places for a night out. The only clubs I could find were full of hookers (Rock Bottom being the worst!)

Dubai is a little nicer especially the marina, you can go to the top floor of the Mariott hotel and enjoy company of your fellow westerners then after its only a short walk to Barasti for some beach beers and some clubbing.

The only problem you may have there is racism, from my experience they treat Caucasians well but treat every other race as second class. I don't know if that's a common experience but I'm sure others will chime in.
CarAbuser is offline   United Kingdom
      07-26-2011, 02:43 PM   #24
sheps
Colonel

Drives: C63 AMG

Send a message via MSN to sheps
Quote:
Originally Posted by urfankhaliq View Post
Email sent last night Simon, did it come through?
Yup, all received buddy.
Speaking with Grant tomorrow and he'll be in touch with you directly.
I hooked up with him when I went to the Abu Dhabi GP last year and IRS a phenomenal lifestyle out there.

Replaced by 6.2 litres of AMG powered C class.
sheps is offline   United Kingdom
      07-27-2011, 01:15 AM   #25
kaishang
Colonel

Drives: 2010 E90 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by urfankhaliq View Post
Sorry I don't understand what you mean?
If you turn up somewhere and get a job, you will probably get the local hire rate which will have a lower pay level (or no uplift) and no housing allowance.

If you get a job in UAE (not somewhere I'd work but the dynamics are the same) as an overseas hire, then you normally get a increase in your base pay plus a housing allowance.

It can work out being a factor of 2 or more difference in your take home pay after living expenses.

So get a job there before you turn up.
      07-27-2011, 02:17 AM   #26
CarAbuser
Captain

Drives: E89 Z4 35i

Also you may have problems getting into the country on a working visa without a job waiting for you.

Most employees will sponsor your visa so in the event of you leaving or getting fired you will then be evicted from the country.
They will also not let you leave the country unless the visa has been signed-off by the employer.
When I first went I entered the country on a holiday visa (they give you 30 days no questions asked if you have a UK passport) then sorted the paperwork out for a work visa but didn't bother getting it stamped onto my passport so when I went back home for a weekend I didn't have any hassle getting out they just assumed I was still on holiday.

They seem to be very aware that people just leave their jobs and return home so if they think you are trying to leave the country without your employers permission it's a PITA.
CarAbuser is offline   United Kingdom
      07-27-2011, 03:36 AM   #27
kaishang
Colonel

Drives: 2010 E90 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarAbuser View Post

They seem to be very aware that people just leave their jobs and return home so if they think you are trying to leave the country without your employers permission it's a PITA.
Which is another reason not to live or work somewhere where the state thinks it is their job to police the working relationship between individuals and their employers.

You can add this reason to the list along with the other things, like the Australian woman who was jailed for 9 months in the UAE, because she was raped. Because she was raped by a married man and then reported it to the police, she was charged with adultery.

They are a bunch of savages with a sheen of respectability. It doesn't take much rubbing until you get to the medieval underpinnings.
      07-27-2011, 08:19 AM   #28
urfankhaliq
Captain

Drives: BMW 320D SE Auto

Garage List
2003 BMW X5  [0.00]
2005 BMW 320D SE  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaishang View Post
If you turn up somewhere and get a job, you will probably get the local hire rate which will have a lower pay level (or no uplift) and no housing allowance.

If you get a job in UAE (not somewhere I'd work but the dynamics are the same) as an overseas hire, then you normally get a increase in your base pay plus a housing allowance.

It can work out being a factor of 2 or more difference in your take home pay after living expenses.

So get a job there before you turn up.
Understood, well thats the aim but whether it happens or not is a different story!