E90Post

E92 Lighting

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Piggyback or Remap?

03-21-2011, 04:19 PM   #1
phil200tdi
Colonel

Drives: 335i M Sport E90 LCI manual

Piggyback or Remap?

Hey All

Apologies, I know this gets asked alot but I'm no expert and having a crisis of faith.

I was all set to get a bespoke stage 3 remap for my 335i (probably evolve), however, I am now having second thoughts due to the number of modded 335's struggling to sell in various places.

I have bought AR catless DPs and am on the look out for an FMIC..

I like the thought of a JB4 plug and play (and remove) and the choice of maps based on the bolt on mods I am running at the time. I had originally discounted this option due to the timing issues etc but just read somewhere that it may soon be resolved. I haven't heard a bad word from the users of the JB4 - just the nayseyers running more expensive/sophisticated tunes.

I quite like the N54 and may fancy a coupe/135i etc in a couple of years so like the thought of transferring the mods - having a JB4 would work well if this was to happen - if not I may get some money back through resale..

Is anyone running this in the UK who can put my mind at ease? or any other advice regarding better piggybacks etc etc?

cheers Phil
phil200tdi is offline   United Kingdom
      03-21-2011, 04:29 PM   #2
Vaheed1
Captain

Drives: E90 330d M Sport

plug and play is your best option. alternatively, you can have your standard ECU uploaded -once your finished with the car. Evolve could probably do a backup for you or their own records.
      03-21-2011, 04:36 PM   #3
phil200tdi
Colonel

I know evolve can revert to standard map when/if I chose to sell. I think they are now selling a cable for the 335i which allows you to swich maps yourself.. However, as with any bespoke map, it isn't transferrable to other vehicles.

I think the problem is I'm tight!!
phil200tdi is offline   United Kingdom
      03-21-2011, 04:42 PM   #4
335iLondon
Captain

Drives: 07' 335i Msport

Went though the same decision process a few days ago

Eventually just have to bite the bullet and choose, always someone on the internet to both discourage and encourage you.

I have the same car and went with DMS (as of next monday) mainly due to the rolling road facilities and they are vey helpful on the phone.

They also can wipe the map when you want to sell.

No sure why you would want to go from 335i to 135 though?
      03-22-2011, 05:33 AM   #5
phil200tdi
Colonel

I quite like the look of the 135- but not driven one. I like the z4 too but not sure the 35i is n54-so would be back to square 1.
      03-22-2011, 06:16 AM   #6
doughboy
Major General

Drives: E91 335i Sold.

The JB3 timing issues AFAIK are mainly scaremongering by the other lot - Proceed! They said CAN gave them the edge, now JB4 has CAN it the clear winner IMO.

I love my JB3, the adjustability is a great factor. I might go for the JB4, but at the mo can't fault the JB3, the car is a beast now with the DPs, pin sharp throttle response and it just flies, perfectly smooth ay any throttle position.

In your position the JB4 is a no brainer IMO. The extra CAN integration just makes it a perfect solution.

Compared to a 'fixed' remap, the way you can tweak the JB3 settings within each map with a laptop eg throttle response, boost to throttle position, rate of boost swing, cold start mode etc are all very useful features and good for 'pub talk'.

And of course the removal of, or easy switch-off is great. (when the missus borrows it!)

And then sell the unit afterwards....

I've also go the BMS DP fix, which again you can sell on.

I'm just buying the BMS speed-delimiter too (i've got an invite to VMAX200 at Brunters in spring!!!)

Last edited by doughboy; 03-22-2011 at 06:30 AM.
doughboy is offline   United Kingdom
      03-22-2011, 06:55 AM   #7
idnan
Major

Drives: Alpine White 335i

I'm a JB4 user and I absolutely adore it. As far as timing issues are concerned, have a look on N54tech and see what the CPS testing has established. It seems that the level of CPS offsetting similar to the Proceed has bugger all effect on timing dropouts.

The CAN integration as Mike has mentioned is a great plus, you have the ability to read codes and have your fuel gauge as boost gauge. Oh and the shift lights are a good laugh to!

The big plus is that I can remove it any time I need to for warranty work. I've had the cowling off to fit the JB4 and then again for the USB cable (cheers for the guide Mike) and it takes me no time at all.
idnan is online now   England
      03-22-2011, 08:16 AM   #8
phil200tdi
Colonel

Is there a map for just dp's no upgraded intercooler? If so I'll be placing the order for jb4 ASAP.....
      03-22-2011, 08:21 AM   #9
doughboy
Major General

The JB4 doesn't have the same map list as the JB3 AFAIK?, it simplified i think now. But in either case here's no specific map for each mod per say, the car will make more power in the same map as it adapts to the mod.

I still use map4/5 with my DPs as I did before without them, but it's noticeably more powerful now its adapted properly.

Personally I'll wait for my FMIC before turning it up to map 6/7, but plenty don't.

If you're ordering, speak to neil at juiced up tuning, he might do you a discount if you ask nicely

BE AWARE: If your car is IN WARRANTY and you fit DPs and you use the JB4 with electronic (CAN) DP fix, if you remove the JB4 for service then the emissions fail warnings will come up again!

I used the hardwired DP fix connected (well hidden) into the vehicle side ECU harness so the fix is still in place even when the JB3 is removed.

You could get the JB4 though, disable the CAN DP fix and fit the hardwired one instead.

Last edited by doughboy; 03-22-2011 at 08:33 AM.
      03-22-2011, 08:27 AM   #10
zltm089
Major General

Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [5.00]
Plus one on BMS products...JB3/4 ...or even the little JB plus, all have received good reviews...and Neil is your guy!

Current Car: E92 335i SE Dream Cars: AMG SL65 Black,GallardoSuperleggera, GTR 2012, Agera R, F430 Scuderia, DBS, EVO X FQ400, Lexus LFA, F10 M5, M4, GT3 RS4.0, Ferrari 458, Ferrari F12, R8 V10 plus, Jaguar F Type V8, Lamborghini LP700-4 Aventador, Chevrolet Camaro ZL1, C63 AMG Coupe Black, Vanquish 2012, Laferrari, GT3 991, McLaren 650s.
zltm089 is offline   United Kingdom
      03-22-2011, 09:47 AM   #11
idnan
Major

Drives: Alpine White 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
Plus one on BMS products...JB3/4 ...or even the little JB plus, all have received good reviews...and Neil is your guy!
+2, Neil was a great help when I was unsure on the JB3 and he did me a great deal on a used BT scan tool.
idnan is online now   England
      03-22-2011, 12:10 PM   #12
phil200tdi
Colonel

I'm out of warranty - 63000 miles and racking up fast..
      03-22-2011, 06:08 PM   #13
neil@JuicedUpTuning

Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil200tdi View Post
I know evolve can revert to standard map when/if I chose to sell. I think they are now selling a cable for the 335i which allows you to swich maps yourself.. However, as with any bespoke map, it isn't transferrable to other vehicles.

I think the problem is I'm tight!!
One of many reasons the JB products are so good. Transferrable and have resale value

Email or PM with your email address and we can add you onto the notification list when the new stock coming in (approx 10 days)

Check out our combo deals for awesome value.

www.juiceduptuning.co.uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
The JB3 timing issues AFAIK are mainly scaremongering by the other lot - Proceed! They said CAN gave them the edge, now JB4 has CAN it the clear winner IMO.

I love my JB3, the adjustability is a great factor. I might go for the JB4, but at the mo can't fault the JB3, the car is a beast now with the DPs, pin sharp throttle response and it just flies, perfectly smooth ay any throttle position.

I've also go the BMS DP fix, which again you can sell on.

I'm just buying the BMS speed-delimiter too (i've got an invite to VMAX200 at Brunters in spring!!!)
+ 1000

Mike, If you havent already purchased the Speed Delimiter. I have them in stock. Email me for details.

Quote:
Is there a map for just dp's no upgraded intercooler? If so I'll be placing the order for jb4 ASAP.....
Map 2 ( Similar to JB3 Map 7) is the map for DP's and other bolts on's.

New Map 5 is the autotuning MAP that learns what boost the can safely make for your mods, fuel and conditions.

Quote:
The JB4 doesn't have the same map list as the JB3 AFAIK?, it simplified i think now.
Beta MAPS for now. More MAPS will be added later. Best still the firmware for the new maps is free!!

We have just lowered the pricing to match the new pricing from the US. So effectively a discount

We are currently gathering demand info or the AR Downpipes. If people want the BMS DP Fix we can stock them. Just let us know.

Cheers to all who are continuing to support us

Last edited by neil@JuicedUpTuning; 03-22-2011 at 06:16 PM.
neil@JuicedUpTuning is offline   United Kingdom
      03-22-2011, 06:22 PM   #14
neil@JuicedUpTuning

Quote:
Personally I'll wait for my FMIC before turning it up to map 6/7, but plenty don't.
Mike, have your considered the meth kits with flowsensor before the FMIC.

Better performance and cooling and better value for money?
      03-23-2011, 03:37 AM   #15
phil200tdi
Colonel

Neil I've sent you an email..

FYI it's a struggle getting keenly priced fmic's and dp's in the UK...

Thanks all for your help
      03-23-2011, 07:32 AM   #16
neil@JuicedUpTuning

Quote:

Thanks all for your help
Thanks for the info as its invaluable to us in product and stock decisions.

I've PM'd you about the email
      03-23-2011, 07:40 AM   #17
doughboy
Major General

Quote:

I ordered my DPs direct from AR in the US.

They came in a week and and there was no import tax whatsoever.

Maybe lucky, but that's the second item i've shipped from AR and both times had zero import duty.

$729 + $129 shipping = $858, That's 514 at 60p / $

It would have cost +6% duty + 20% VAT if collared.

ie. 653, still cheaper than the 800 or so you see them for in the UK.

Last edited by doughboy; 03-23-2011 at 09:59 AM.
      03-23-2011, 09:40 AM   #18
phil200tdi
Colonel

Yes that's what mean- we can ship fmic's from the states for under £600 Inc US tax etc. but pay loads of shipping and run risk of duty. As opposed to mass shipment by a supplier - if the price was comparable I'd prefer to buy from UK
      03-23-2011, 05:27 PM   #19
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things

Drives: RS250 CUP

Send a message via MSN to m1bjr
Quote:
Originally Posted by idnan View Post
I'm a JB4 user and I absolutely adore it. As far as timing issues are concerned, have a look on N54tech and see what the CPS testing has established. It seems that the level of CPS offsetting similar to the Proceed has bugger all effect on timing dropouts.

The CAN integration as Mike has mentioned is a great plus, you have the ability to read codes and have your fuel gauge as boost gauge. Oh and the shift lights are a good laugh to!

The big plus is that I can remove it any time I need to for warranty work. I've had the cowling off to fit the JB4 and then again for the USB cable (cheers for the guide Mike) and it takes me no time at all.
LOL at shift lights - mines set to 5k5rpm
The Wife tells me that on the 'school run' last week the hazards came on a couple of times so something is wrong.

Thats my girl!

I have a BMS DP fix for the JB3 and also a JB3 module without a wiring harness goign 'VERY' cheap just PM me.

Steve
      03-23-2011, 06:34 PM   #20
neil@JuicedUpTuning

Quote:
I ordered my DPs direct from AR in the US.

They came in a week and and there was no import tax whatsoever.

Maybe lucky, but that's the second item i've shipped from AR and both times had zero import duty.

$729 + $129 shipping = $858, That's 514 at 60p / $

It would have cost +6% duty + 20% VAT if collared.

ie. 653, still cheaper than the 800 or so you see them for in the UK.
Thats why we are collecting the demand data. We need to see enough UK people searching for them as they are a high cost stock item we dont want gathering dust because the price is wrong.

Quote:
Yes that's what mean- we can ship fmic's from the states for under £600 Inc US tax etc. but pay loads of shipping and run risk of duty. As opposed to mass shipment by a supplier - if the price was comparable I'd prefer to buy from UK
Our priminary pricing would see a sale price around the 630 mark (UK P+P not included) for the kitty less (non resonated DP's).
      07-27-2011, 07:05 AM   #21
OMLGitzScott

Drives: Renaultsport Megane R26

Are these available for the 330D? I was looking at either a remap or DTUK Tuning box (I've had 3 dtuk box's previously for other cars).

Where's the best place in the North West for a remap if I go down that route? Roughly how much would I be looking at?
      07-28-2011, 05:40 PM   #22
neil@JuicedUpTuning

Hi OML

JB3 Stg1 is for the N55 and the JB4 is the stage 3 for the N54 engine.

JBD is for the 335d Twin Turbo