E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > How does everyone keep their car so clean all the time?

11-21-2014, 10:51 AM   #1
WorkhorseActual
High Speed Low Drag
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90 LCI

How does everyone keep their car so clean all the time?

I wash and clean my car weekly and it never seems to stay clean for long.
Next day its dirty

How does everyone keep their cars so clean all the time (or so it seems)
and which products do you use to do so?

I use the Meguiars line (detail spray, soap, cloths, etc)

What about you?

Oh and how often do you wax your car and why? (actual wax and not the quick wax spray)
      11-21-2014, 01:43 PM   #2
Needbmwpartzz
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkhorseActual
Next day its dirty

What about you?

Oh and how often do you wax your car and why? (actual wax and not the quick wax spray)
Put it in a vacuum chamber or time capsule!
But really cars are hard to keep clean,especially if you have black!
It seems like a losing battle as a DD but I just try to garage park the car when I can and avoid driving in the rain.
Sometimes I wish I had a silver car....they always look clean.
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2014, 02:05 PM   #3
Delta0311
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92

Space gray, nuff said.... Get it hand washed every few weeks and in between if it gets a bit dirty I'll just wipe it down with a wet car towel and go over with a dry one. Had jet black before, never doing that again.

Last edited by Delta0311; 11-21-2014 at 05:49 PM.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 02:58 PM   #4
WorkhorseActual
High Speed Low Drag
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90 LCI

Yeah my car is black and its a huge pain in the ass...
Always dirty no matter what

I normally use some kind of detail spray but doing that daily becomes a hassle
I park in a garage daily and never park under a tree or anything so yeah...

I should have bought the dark grey model....
      11-21-2014, 03:32 PM   #5
EDwelly
Private
Rep

Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

My last car was a silver SUV. I loved how easy it was to keep clean. When I got my DSB 328ix, I was looking for a silver BMW. When I saw the DSB, I loved it and knew what I was getting into. Lot of work to keep it half way clean.
      11-21-2014, 05:20 PM   #6
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2008 BMW 335i (E90)

Garage List
My car is BLACK which is a real PITA to keep clean. So, I keep it in my garage and drive it as little as possible.

Even in the garage the car will get dirty w/dust and whatnot and, when it looks like it needs it, I'll wipe it down w/a damp cloth and then hit it w/a spray on wax called Lucas Slick Mist, which makes it look all shiny again.

Last edited by SSW; 11-21-2014 at 05:29 PM.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 08:01 PM   #7
SHEEDI
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2009 335i - Sport PKG

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [4.67]
Look into Carpro Cquartz coating
      11-21-2014, 08:05 PM   #8
MentegoE90
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: bmw e90

The reason why so many peoples car looks so clean is because you have black! Trust me I have silver and not once did anyone ever say it looked dirty even weeks gone by I havn't washed it.

I have only twice went through a non touchless and thats due to the stupid dealer when I told them not to wash it but they did anyways.

Swirl marks and black cars are like peanut butter and jelly.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 12:24 AM   #9
320i_Beemer
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Drives: 07 320i E90 Executive

Id say if you have a black bmw, youll just have to put the effort into cleaning it.

Mines a silver colour :P

What id do:
1. Water down/ hose down
2. Heavy duty Car Wash/ Wax product
3. Water down/ hose down
4. Dry with microfibre cloth
5. Cordless/ rechargeable car polisher (the best in the world- just because its so portable like a cordless drill)
6. Wool cloth to wipe off swirls (supposed to be better than microfibre- someone can correct me on this?)

Attached: Mother's Car Polisher.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2014, 10:32 AM   #10
Former USMC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2013 335is Crimson Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkhorseActual View Post
Next day its dirty

What about you?

WorkhorseActual,

Easy question to answer; thanks for asking.

1. I switched from black cars to red...my next car might be white or silver.
2. I have EVERYTHING set-up for easy access, i.e., vacuum, towels, sprays, hose, soaps, etc.
3. Use a California Car Duster between washings.
4. Once every month or so; wash, clay and wax/seal/polish. I clay and wax once a month. Do one section at a time. For example, I may wax the hood, top and trunk one month and the next month, doors, fenders, etc. I am stunned by the number of people who spend 8+ hours "detailing" their cars.
5. Use spray waxes when drying car with microfiber towels; dry and wax in one easy step.
6. Buy and use good quality products. Personally, I like Griot's Garage.
7. Use or try new products to determine if they are better than what you are currently using, e.g., I love Griot's Garage Spray Wax, but recently found two newer nano-wax spray products from HiLustre and Eagle One - they APPEAR to work better. Embrace newer technology.
8. Get in the habit of cleaning your car; this will improve efficiencies, speed and quality of your work.
9. Learn to use an orbital polisher/waxer - orbitals are simple to use and remarkably effective.
10. Buy a Master Blaster to dry your car.
11. Keep asking good questions.

Semper Fi

Last edited by Former USMC; 11-23-2014 at 08:02 PM. Reason: update
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2014, 02:26 PM   #11
originalgoods13
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2014 X5 xLine, 2015 M3 soon

A lot of these posts makes me cringe and is actually adding damage and swirl to your paint

-clay every month adds swirls
-wipe with damp cloth is dragging dirt over the paint
-using wool as to microfiber
-spray wax adds glaze on your paint and hides the mar and swirls

Detailedimage site can correct most of these incorrect practices
      11-24-2014, 03:25 PM   #12
ferocity02
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 E90 335i Pre-LCI

Between washes I use a California car duster every 1-2 days, only takes a few minutes. Then once a week I'll use quick detailing spray to remove the things that the duster can't, this takes about 15 minutes. After a few weeks of this I give up and let it get dirty, then wash and repeat.
      11-25-2014, 07:42 AM   #13
Socket
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
Space gray, nuff said....
Agree
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 02:34 PM   #14
Weezey
Registered
Rep

Drives: 2006 330i w/Sport Pkg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former USMC View Post
WorkhorseActual,

Easy question to answer; thanks for asking.

1. I switched from black cars to red...my next car might be white or silver.
2. I have EVERYTHING set-up for easy access, i.e., vacuum, towels, sprays, hose, soaps, etc. I agree. Many options out there if you have room for them from wall storage to utility carts.
3. Use a California Car Duster between washings.
4. Once every month or so; wash, clay and wax/seal/polish. I clay and wax once a month. Do one section at a time. For example, I may wax the hood, top and trunk one month and the next month, doors, fenders, etc. I am stunned by the number of people who spend 8+ hours "detailing" their cars. I wish I did mine monthly. At least follow these steps Spring and Fall.
5. Use spray waxes when drying car with microfiber towels; dry and wax in one easy step. Amazed how much cleaner my car stays after just beginning to do this step.
6. Buy and use good quality products. Personally, I like Griot's Garage. AGREED!!! I'm a fan of Adam's Polishes but I've heard Griot's is good stuff as well. Plus Adam's has tons of great how-to videos on their site.
7. Use or try new products to determine if they are better than what you are currently using, e.g., I love Griot's Garage Spray Wax, but recently found two newer nano-wax spray products from HiLustre and Eagle One - they APPEAR to work better. Embrace newer technology.
8. Get in the habit of cleaning your car; this will improve efficiencies, speed and quality of your work. Cleaning regularly makes everything easier.
9. Learn to use an orbital polisher/waxer - orbitals are simple to use and remarkably effective. Another great point. Many options out there. I scored a great slightly used Porter Cable off eBay for $62. You don't have to break the bank here.
10. Buy a Master Blaster to dry your car. I have this on my wish list but in the meantime, I use my leaf blower. Neighbors think I'm crazy but oh well.
11. Keep asking good questions.

Semper Fi

Former USMC...thank you for your service. My 2 cents in red.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 07:48 AM   #15
KlausPA
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: 2011 BMW 328i Xdrive

Just wash it... Deep Sea Blue here. I just wash my car once a week and sometimes more than that with water and nothing else. I've been doing this for more than 20 years. No need for soap.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 08:12 AM   #16
Fundguy1
Captain
Rep

Drives: 335 e93

Mines white. Drive thru car wash $4, or dealer wash, free. Once every week or two.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 12:01 PM   #17
guop
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: e90 lci 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
Mines white. Drive thru car wash $4, or dealer wash, free. Once every week or two.
apparently drive thru washes and automated ones can swirl and scratch your paint pretty badly.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 12:23 PM   #18
KlausPA
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: 2011 BMW 328i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by guop View Post
apparently drive thru washes and automated ones can swirl and scratch your paint pretty badly.
Unless is touch less... I use them only when it is 20 degrees or less outside to rinse all the calcium chloride crust off the paint.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 12:38 PM   #19
Fundguy1
Captain
Rep

Drives: 335 e93

It's white, not black. Can't see any of those on white. It also has 200,000 miles but outside looks new. I had a g35 and corvette, both in black before. Swirls everywhere even with only hand wash and keeping it wet entirely while washing. Really just depends on your paint color.
'08 e93 AW 335i 6MT,Mich Pilot SS 235/275,19x8.5,19x9.5 Breyton Race CS rims,JB4 G5,Stoptech drill/slot,laser interceptor jammers,Cree 80w angels,smart top,GPS&Passport,BMW ground FXs,carbon fiber spoiler,VRSF 7"FMIC&charge pipes,BMS DCI,tint.Vargas stg2+,billet 6x6 comp,20T,clipped turbos,VRSF catless DP,Motiv dual clutch.Cobb V3 w/PTF,M3 frt cntl arms,AKE black sub bush,waveTrac LSD&lockdown,KW V2,Motif fuelrail 203,000 miles!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 04:44 PM   #20
aarwilli
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 08 335i Coupe

I personally just post pictures when it's clean and then it always seems clean
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 06:25 PM   #21
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2008 BMW 335i (E90)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalgoods13 View Post
A lot of these posts makes me cringe and is actually adding damage and swirl to your paint

-clay every month adds swirls
-wipe with damp cloth is dragging dirt over the paint
-using wool as to microfiber
-spray wax adds glaze on your paint and hides the mar and swirls

Detailedimage site can correct most of these incorrect practices
FWIW, I'm one of those who damp wipes his car and uses spray wax between washes/polishing and, although I like keeping the car looking clean, there's a limit to how anal I get about it.

My car is Metallic Black Sapphire and, if there were any "mars and swirls", I'd be able to see them easily but, I use Klasse polish and sealant as well as Meguiar carnauba wax, to protect the surface of the paint between spray washes.

FWIW, the way I damp wipe the car isn't much different than the way I spray wash it. After I dust the car w/a California Car Duster, I spay the area to be wiped w/water and then use a very damp towel followed w/a dry one to keep the mess down and dry off the car more quickly.

The car isn't all that dirty to begin with when I damp wipe it and I don't notice any scratching as a result. If the car is really dirty, I'd spray wash it and, if I notice any scratches, I just polish them out. I don't use microfibers for washing (which purists consider a no-no) because I don't find them effective. I just use clean cotton towels, which work fine for me.

As for the spray wax that I use, it doesn't leave a "glaze" that I notice but letting my car sit in the garage for long periods of times allows a noticeable "haze" to develop.

The spray way removes the haze and leaves a very light coat of wax that is easy to buff out, which makes the car look showroom bright. If it actually "hides the mars and swirls" (of which there are very few on my car), all the better. I use microfiber towels for polishing and buffing.

This approach is good enough for me and makes the car look far better than any other cars that I see on the road.

Last edited by SSW; 11-28-2014 at 01:58 AM.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2014, 08:37 PM   #22
Wrecker335d
Wondering what to do..
United_States
Rep

Drives: like a cock

Oh look, more Marines, lol.

I find it annoying to keep my BSM car clean all the time. I gave up on it. I normally wash it twice a month, and compound/polish/wax once a month.

I just clay bar'd my car for the first time today, and did a polish/carnauba wax from McGuire's. I believe the results came out great and my swirl marks/minor scratches went away.

OEF Veteran
Appreciate 0