E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Klasse Sealant: What is best way to apply?

09-26-2014, 01:35 PM   #1
mike5809
BMW CCA #459447

Drives: '11 335i M-Sport [LeMans Blue]

Garage List
Klasse Sealant: What is best way to apply?

Hello All!

I am detailing my vehicle this weekend as it will probably be the last nice weekend I get. I am not a "detailer" but I do like to clean the car myself. My process is;

- Wash
- Clay
- Wash
- P21S Paint Cleaner (by hand)
- Klasse Sealant, 2 coats (by hand)
- Chemical Guys 50/50 Wax (by hand)

I have been using the Klasse Sealant for about 2-3 years and love it. That said, I hate applying it as it is so hard to get off.

I wanted to see what was the best way to apply and wipe the sealant off. I have heard to let is sit over night and then use a rag & "mist-n-wipe". I have also heard the immediate WOWO method.

I have tried both and it still seems so hard and time consuming to remove the sealant. I know I probably use too much - but I really try to make sure it is just a super thin layer. Usually by the time I do the first coat I want to say F* it and not do anything else.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

'11 BMW 335i M-Sport Coupe xDrive [LeMans Blue] - Starke 19in Wheels, Exotics Tuning CF Lip, CF BMW Performance Diffuser, M3 Spoiler, Eibach Springs/Bilstein Shocks, 35% Tint
'07 BMW 335i Coupe - Sold
'03 BMW Z4 3.0i - Gone

Last edited by mike5809; 09-26-2014 at 01:41 PM.
mike5809 is offline   United_States
      09-26-2014, 01:57 PM   #2
MiniXP
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 08 335i & 01 325xi

I've been using it for awhile now too and up until recently just applying it in a normal way.

Last detail I did I read about the "mist and wipe" method. What I did was apply it to the whole car, then wait 30 min to an hour and wipe it off with a microfiber that has been dampened with QD. Follow that up with a dry microfiber to buff the rest off and dry the panel.

When you read about letting it set or cure for 24 hours, that doesn't mean leave it hazy on the car for that long, it means apply it and wipe it off, then once it's all off leave it for about 24 hrs before doing another coat.
      09-26-2014, 08:58 PM   #3
mbanks21
Captain

Drives: 2006 330i

I put it in a small travel size spray bottle and lightly spritz a panel at a time. Straight out of the bottle was a PAIN IN THE ASS. Thin thin thin thin thin coat
      09-27-2014, 02:43 PM   #4
mike5809
BMW CCA #459447

Garage List
You were both right. I used a tiny tiny tiny amount and it was much easier to get off.

For an area about the size of the trunk lid I used about half a dime sized amount and it was more than enough. I let it sit for an hour then used a damp towel with mist-n-wipe to get it off then buffed with a dry towel. It was much easier to apply and get off (still a PIA )

Here are the results! I think it turned out pretty good. Pictures are crappy as Facebook resizes and compresses.

'11 BMW 335i M-Sport Coupe xDrive [LeMans Blue] - Starke 19in Wheels, Exotics Tuning CF Lip, CF BMW Performance Diffuser, M3 Spoiler, Eibach Springs/Bilstein Shocks, 35% Tint
'03 BMW Z4 3.0i - Gone
      09-29-2014, 11:00 AM   #5
Detailed Image
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Looks like you got it on your own, but here's an article I wrote on this exact topic. It's a great product and takes a little while, but this always made it easier for me... Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze (KSG) Guide and Review. I prefer to wipe off dry first so as to not remove any of it, but I'm sure after an hour you're fine to just use the dampened towel.

Hope that helps in the future.

Ivan @ DI
Detailed Image is offline   United_States
      09-29-2014, 11:56 AM   #6
MiniXP
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 08 335i & 01 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
Looks like you got it on your own, but here's an article I wrote on this exact topic. It's a great product and takes a little while, but this always made it easier for me... Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze (KSG) Guide and Review. I prefer to wipe off dry first so as to not remove any of it, but I'm sure after an hour you're fine to just use the dampened towel.

Ivan @ DI
I saw in your blog post you say you do multiple coats. Do you do the other coats right after the first or do you wait a day or so?
      09-29-2014, 02:06 PM   #7
vapore0n
Lieutenant

Drives: 2010 335i

I used to do multiple coats leaving each one to dry out for about an hr.
Never had an issue removing SG out of paint. Maybe because I was QD the car after each coat too.

Have you ever used Sonus Acrylic Glanz? Its a quick detailer that works great with K SG. Last time I used this it was way back when I used to use Klasse. Worked great, but not cheap.
      09-29-2014, 03:32 PM   #8
mike5809
BMW CCA #459447

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post

Ivan @ DI
Hi Ivan!

I actually read this right after I made this post - it was super helpful! If you wrote this thanks so much!

After reading this I realized I was using way too much. That was my biggest issue. I followed this process almost to a T, including drinking the beverage during the hour curing time Your process worked great and was much easier to remove the sealant. I also wanted to just use a dry towel as I was concerned I would remove some of the sealant but I was tired and didn't want to deal with it - having the damp microfiber made it so much easier.

Again, THANKS SO MUCH!

'03 BMW Z4 3.0i - Gone