E90Post
 


Lux Angel Eyes
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Ask a Professional Detailer...



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-10-2010, 12:12 AM   #1189
Detailed Image
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Detailed Image's Avatar
 
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Albany, NY

Posts: 3,484
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowess Symphony View Post
I need something that makes the tires shiny and cleans the rims at the same time. Do they make something like that? I hate having to wipe off my tire shine off of the rims after cleaning them.
Unfortunately, I don't know a product that dresses the tires and cleans the wheels at the same time. I don't think it's possible to create a product that cleans brake dust and leaves behind a dressing. I know of products that clean both the tires and the wheels, such as Blackfire Wheel and Tire Gel, but you still need to dress the tires after cleaning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missoap View Post
Hi there,
after my last trip i got lazy and didn't clean off the bugs on the front bumper and hood. it has been a week and when i washed my car today the bugs came off but they left little yellowish spots on the paint. any idea how i can get them off?
Thanks!
You should be able to remove the yellow spots by using a fine grade clay bar and some clay lube. After claying the area to remove the bug remains, be sure to follow up with some protection as the claying process will diminish the durability, if not remove, the rest of your protection on your paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw-er1 View Post
need help, i just got an oil change and i think they dropped some oil on my gloss grille. Now its has something that looks like water spots. I can remove it. I tried even vingear. Any ideas?
I'd try a chemical polish on the grill, something like Klasse All In One would be the first thing I turn to. Beyond that you can try various or stronger polishes to try to remove the stains.

Hope this helps guys.
Detailed Image is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2010, 02:17 AM   #1190
PandaBear
Banned
 
Drives: 2009 335i X-Drive
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Long Island, New York

Posts: 7,271
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2009 335i X-Drive  [0.00]
2007 328xi  [0.00]
where can i purchase the 0000 steel wool to clean my exhaust tips with?
PandaBear is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2010, 04:32 AM   #1191
Alext
Colonel
 
Drives: B M W
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Everest

Posts: 2,019
iTrader: (2)

Can I use Merzerna Sealing Wax by hand on Ventureshield? Can I also use Opti-seal on Ventureshield too?
Alext is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2010, 04:47 AM   #1192
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
 
1QuikWS6's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 E92 328iX N51 3-Stage
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Blitzburgh, PA

Posts: 4,600
iTrader: (81)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaBear View Post
where can i purchase the 0000 steel wool to clean my exhaust tips with?
I got mine at local hardware store. I'm pretty sure you can pick it up at either lowes or Home Depot also
__________________
2009 328ix E92//SGM//ACS Roof Spoiler//MTech Aero Lip+Trunk Spoiler//M3 Side Skirts//CF Roundels+Grilles//M3 Novillo Interior//Perf Shift Lever+Boot//MPerf DCT Wheel//M3 GT3 eBrake Handle+Boot//ACS Pedals//M3 Mirrors//LCI Tails w/LUX Rev//DTEC V7 AE+MTec 6000K D1S+HPB HID 6000K Fogs//HPB LED Interior//RPI Scoops//CF Euro Airbox+Underhood Hsgs//K&N//BMW PE//MTech Rear Bumper-iS Sport Diffuser//CF Strut Brace//Vishnu OFT//BMW 193M's+Kumho 4X
1QuikWS6 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2010, 10:08 AM   #1193
PandaBear
Banned
 
Drives: 2009 335i X-Drive
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Long Island, New York

Posts: 7,271
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2009 335i X-Drive  [0.00]
2007 328xi  [0.00]
ah okay thanks bro
PandaBear is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2010, 08:04 PM   #1194
Detailed Image
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Detailed Image's Avatar
 
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Albany, NY

Posts: 3,484
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaBear View Post
where can i purchase the 0000 steel wool to clean my exhaust tips with?
Yep any local hardware store should have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alext View Post
Can I use Merzerna Sealing Wax by hand on Ventureshield? Can I also use Opti-seal on Ventureshield too?
Yea, Opti-Seal would be the better option since you don't risk leaving product along the edges.
Detailed Image is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2010, 08:15 PM   #1195
Nedim
Captain
 
Nedim's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Des Moines, IA

Posts: 712
iTrader: (4)

I bought a Surface works 10 inch buffer. My car is AW and I want to get rid of the swirl marks. I would really appreciate it if you gave me a list of what polish to use, the wax, the pads and anything else i need to use. You can email me at nedimcajic@gmail.com
Nedim is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-11-2010, 07:57 AM   #1196
Alext
Colonel
 
Drives: B M W
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Everest

Posts: 2,019
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
Yep any local hardware store should have it.



Yea, Opti-Seal would be the better option since you don't risk leaving product along the edges.
Thank you
Alext is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      08-11-2010, 01:36 PM   #1197
Detailed Image
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Detailed Image's Avatar
 
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Albany, NY

Posts: 3,484
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedim View Post
I bought a Surface works 10 inch buffer. My car is AW and I want to get rid of the swirl marks. I would really appreciate it if you gave me a list of what polish to use, the wax, the pads and anything else i need to use. You can email me at nedimcajic@gmail.com
Replied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alext View Post
Thank you
Anytime
Detailed Image is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-18-2010, 08:20 PM   #1198
Nedim
Captain
 
Nedim's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Des Moines, IA

Posts: 712
iTrader: (4)

I got my porter cable and i was using a white pad with the meguries finishing polish...the swirls are still there...and i am pushing pretty hard. what am i doing wrong?
Nedim is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-19-2010, 09:17 AM   #1199
Detailed Image
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Detailed Image's Avatar
 
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Albany, NY

Posts: 3,484
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedim View Post
I got my porter cable and i was using a white pad with the meguries finishing polish...the swirls are still there...and i am pushing pretty hard. what am i doing wrong?
Depending on the severity of the imperfections, that particular combination may or may not be aggressive enough to remove the swirls. If you're using the M105 / M205 combo, be sure to read this article on how to properly prime your pad and apply the product with your PC. You may need to kick it up to orange pads or a more aggressive polish or compound.

Also, whenever you aren't getting the results your expecting here are a few key things to follow:
- Work in a smaller area
- Move the buffer slower
- Use a higher speed
- Add more pressure
- Make sure you are using a light that reveals imperfections as you are polishing such as either Brinkmann light

Hope this helps.
Detailed Image is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-23-2010, 08:13 PM   #1200
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
 
Brunotheboxer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boston/Cape Cod

Posts: 2,999
iTrader: (0)

I have a 335is in LeMans Blue. I basically just wash her every two weeks as she is garaged a lot. What do you rec. for a wax or sealant that is the easiest, least time consuming, and less prone to user error but gives good shine and long lasting protection. I usually just use a paste wax that I would buy at the local auto parts store but I think I want to do a little better on this car.
__________________


"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Brunotheboxer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-24-2010, 12:53 PM   #1201
Detailed Image
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Detailed Image's Avatar
 
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Albany, NY

Posts: 3,484
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunotheboxer View Post
I have a 335is in LeMans Blue. I basically just wash her every two weeks as she is garaged a lot. What do you rec. for a wax or sealant that is the easiest, least time consuming, and less prone to user error but gives good shine and long lasting protection. I usually just use a paste wax that I would buy at the local auto parts store but I think I want to do a little better on this car.
I'd highly recommend going the route of Blackfire Wet Diamond for your sealant. This is one of the best sealants out there in terms of ease of use, protection, durability and a deep wet shine, similar to a carnauba wax. Many detailers and enthusiasts will end with the BFWD instead of topping it with a wax, but if you'd like a wax to add even more pop, you could pair it up with the Blackfire Midnight Sun for a killer sealant, wax combo. The Midnight Sun wax is very easy to apply and remove and looks very deep and wet. Here's a recent article one of our detailers published using the Midnight Sun Wax.

I can give you some other options, but that would certainly be one of my top pics.

Keep us posted on what you end up going with and how things turn out
Detailed Image is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-24-2010, 07:26 PM   #1202
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
 
Brunotheboxer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boston/Cape Cod

Posts: 2,999
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
I'd highly recommend going the route of Blackfire Wet Diamond for your sealant. This is one of the best sealants out there in terms of ease of use, protection, durability and a deep wet shine, similar to a carnauba wax. Many detailers and enthusiasts will end with the BFWD instead of topping it with a wax, but if you'd like a wax to add even more pop, you could pair it up with the Blackfire Midnight Sun for a killer sealant, wax combo. The Midnight Sun wax is very easy to apply and remove and looks very deep and wet. Here's a recent article one of our detailers published using the Midnight Sun Wax.

I can give you some other options, but that would certainly be one of my top pics.

Keep us posted on what you end up going with and how things turn out
Is this something I can just put on after washing or is there a lot of prep. involved? I'm looking for something that I can just use after washing as I go to the gym 4 to 5 days a week and bust my ass and by the weekends I just dont have the strength to spend all day doing a car detail. If this is something I can use without a lot of prep work then this might be perfect for me. Btw. its not that I'm lazy its just that the gym and bodybuilding are a top priority for me..Thanks..
__________________


"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Brunotheboxer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-24-2010, 07:39 PM   #1203
jopa489
BMW/Detailing Addict
 
jopa489's Avatar
 
Drives: Estoril F30 335i 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New England

Posts: 6,561
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunotheboxer View Post
Is this something I can just put on after washing or is there a lot of prep. involved? I'm looking for something that I can just use after washing as I go to the gym 4 to 5 days a week and bust my ass and by the weekends I just dont have the strength to spend all day doing a car detail. If this is something I can use without a lot of prep work then this might be perfect for me. Btw. its not that I'm lazy its just that the gym and bodybuilding are a top priority for me..Thanks..
You shouldn't need to apply Blackfire more than 2-3 times per year. Most would recommend stripping any previous protection off your paint (so the sealant is able to bond properly) and clay the car. It might take you an afternoon, but it's only a few times per year.

For a ride in your IS, I may give you a hand if you want..
__________________

jopa489 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-24-2010, 07:56 PM   #1204
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
 
Brunotheboxer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boston/Cape Cod

Posts: 2,999
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopa489 View Post
You shouldn't need to apply Blackfire more than 2-3 times per year. Most would recommend stripping any previous protection off your paint (so the sealant is able to bond properly) and clay the car. It might take you an afternoon, but it's only a few times per year.

For a ride in your IS, I may give you a hand if you want..

Where are you located? I would do this on weekends which means I'm down the Cape. I think it would take me more than an afternoon to do all of this. I'm big, slow, and lumbering.......
__________________


"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Brunotheboxer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-24-2010, 09:07 PM   #1205
jordantii
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tampa Bay

Posts: 162
iTrader: (0)

Can this be buffed??

This is on the roof of my 07 335. There are 2 spots. I have a DA and all sorts of products. I ran this by my friends at Mothers and from the picture they are saying it looks like off gassing under the clear. I have my own theories. I just bought the car, CPO and did not see this till I got home. Bought the car on the other side of the state.

I can drive back to the selling dealer for a repair but that does not make too much sense right now.

What do you think??
Attached Images
 
jordantii is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-25-2010, 07:19 AM   #1206
Detailed Image
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Detailed Image's Avatar
 
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Albany, NY

Posts: 3,484
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunotheboxer View Post
Is this something I can just put on after washing or is there a lot of prep. involved? I'm looking for something that I can just use after washing as I go to the gym 4 to 5 days a week and bust my ass and by the weekends I just dont have the strength to spend all day doing a car detail. If this is something I can use without a lot of prep work then this might be perfect for me. Btw. its not that I'm lazy its just that the gym and bodybuilding are a top priority for me..Thanks..
The prep work involved is what you want to make of it. At a minimum you need to wash it and dry it prior to applying the sealant and / or wax. Besides that its up to you, you will get maximum durability and best shine if you properly prep the paint by claying and polishing after wash, but certainly isn't necessary. I hear you about the gym, I can barely move today

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordantii View Post
This is on the roof of my 07 335. There are 2 spots. I have a DA and all sorts of products. I ran this by my friends at Mothers and from the picture they are saying it looks like off gassing under the clear. I have my own theories. I just bought the car, CPO and did not see this till I got home. Bought the car on the other side of the state.

I can drive back to the selling dealer for a repair but that does not make too much sense right now.

What do you think??
Something like that probably can't be buffed because chances are it's under the clear. It's either a defect in the paint or a result of impact from something. These types of marks are pretty typical after a car gets egged. I'm not sure what a dealer would even do for you in this case other than a respray of the panel...

Keep us posted, I'm curious what they have to say.
Detailed Image is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-25-2010, 11:46 AM   #1207
MetsFan
First Lieutenant
 
MetsFan's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 e90 328xi
Join Date: May 2009
Location: MA

Posts: 301
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
I just bought a bottle of BFWD (Thanks to DetailedImage ) I've read that one application lasts about 3 months or so. I'm going to do a complete detail early September at some point. If I want the sealant to last till March or April, do I need to apply a couple of coats? I don't think I'll be able to do another full detail in the dead of winter.

If so, how long do I wait till I apply the next coat?

Thanks!
MetsFan is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-25-2010, 12:40 PM   #1208
jordantii
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tampa Bay

Posts: 162
iTrader: (0)

[quote=
Something like that probably can't be buffed because chances are it's under the clear. It's either a defect in the paint or a result of impact from something. These types of marks are pretty typical after a car gets egged. I'm not sure what a dealer would even do for you in this case other than a respray of the panel...

Keep us posted, I'm curious what they have to say.[/QUOTE]

It does not look like an impact at all. Looks like a defect in the paint. That is what the guys at Mothers said as well. I am going to take it to my local dealer and see what they have to say about it. Otherwise I will have to drive to Fort Lauderdale and have them paint the roof. I dread this. I would want to choose who did the painting.

I will keep you posted. And thanks for the reply.
jordantii is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-26-2010, 11:38 AM   #1209
Detailed Image
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Detailed Image's Avatar
 
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Albany, NY

Posts: 3,484
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetsFan View Post
I just bought a bottle of BFWD (Thanks to DetailedImage ) I've read that one application lasts about 3 months or so. I'm going to do a complete detail early September at some point. If I want the sealant to last till March or April, do I need to apply a couple of coats? I don't think I'll be able to do another full detail in the dead of winter.

If so, how long do I wait till I apply the next coat?

Thanks!
Depending on weather conditions, how much the car is driven, how it's stored, etc. you can get up to 6 months protection. For optimal results, layer at least 2 coats spaced at least 8 hours apart in application. If you could, stick it out and apply your sealant at the end of October / early November so you have most of your protection during the winter. Once you get a nice day reapply it 3 - 4 months after application.

Even if you do a detail in Sept, a simple wash and reapplication of the sealant in October is still your best bet. Thanks again for your support, keep us posted how everything turns out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordantii View Post
It does not look like an impact at all. Looks like a defect in the paint. That is what the guys at Mothers said as well. I am going to take it to my local dealer and see what they have to say about it. Otherwise I will have to drive to Fort Lauderdale and have them paint the roof. I dread this. I would want to choose who did the painting.

I will keep you posted. And thanks for the reply.
Yea it was tough to see if there was any type of dent from impact but that's typically what it can look like. Hopefully this gets resolved for you in a way that doesn't make things look worse from a bad respray. Best of luck w/ everything, ideally you get to choose the painter like you said.
Detailed Image is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2010, 10:43 AM   #1210
PSU335i
Second Lieutenant
 
PSU335i's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 335i
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Philly

Posts: 248
iTrader: (2)

I just bought a small bottle of ONR, along with about $90 of other stuff from DI. Should I follow up an ONR wash with a spray wax or a QD or neither?
PSU335i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:33 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST