E90Post
 


Extreme Power House
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Ask a Professional Detailer...



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-12-2011, 09:33 AM   #1431
Royal Flush
Major
Royal Flush's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
1,306
Posts

 
Drives: 335i, 335is, GT-R, SL65
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NoVA/NYC/LV

iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to Royal Flush
Quote:
Originally Posted by schan View Post
Thanks Greg. I tried purchasing what you recommend and applying the e90 coupon code but that code doesn't work. Is there an updated code?
Coupon code should be "e90post" and not "e90", that might be where you're having a problem. It also won't work if another coupon is already applied.

(I just tried and it worked and message read "Coupon code E90POST applied!")
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 12:26 AM   #1432
schan
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
38
Posts

 
Drives: 328 sport pkg wht/blk
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: los angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Flush View Post
Coupon code should be "e90post" and not "e90", that might be where you're having a problem. It also won't work if another coupon is already applied.

(I just tried and it worked and message read "Coupon code E90POST applied!")
Thanks. i made a typo. but even then i think it only applies to certain items? i try applying that coupon to a porter cable package but got "Discount codes do not apply to this item"
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 07:18 AM   #1433
Royal Flush
Major
Royal Flush's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
1,306
Posts

 
Drives: 335i, 335is, GT-R, SL65
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NoVA/NYC/LV

iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to Royal Flush
Quote:
Originally Posted by schan View Post
Thanks. i made a typo. but even then i think it only applies to certain items? i try applying that coupon to a porter cable package but got "Discount codes do not apply to this item"
You're right that it applies to certain items. The coupon code doesn't apply to any "packages". If you purchase the Porter Cable separately, it would apply.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 03:10 PM   #1434
Detailed Image
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Detailed Image's Avatar
United_States
53
Rep
3,543
Posts


 
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Albany, NY

iTrader: (5)

The 10% off coupon code is e90post, but it doesn't apply to DI Packages, tools and sale items. If you enter in the code it will read applied and it will automatically apply to all the applicable items and exclude the exempt items. If you have any questions please let me know!

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 03:42 PM   #1435
Cosa Nostra
Banned
7
Rep
268
Posts

 
Drives: 335i coupe
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Sicily

iTrader: (0)

Hi George:

I take really good care of my BMW 335i coupe (albeit it is parked outside), and am tired of trying all of the waxes and polishes out there, as none of them achieve that beloved wet shiny look [Let's see in the past I've used BMW OEM carnuba wax; Black magic "cherry" liquid wax; Eagle One nano wax; Maguiars Gold Class wax; Turtle Ice wax; Maguiars Synthetic wax; and the list goes on and on LOL!...]. For the average do-it-yourselfer like me, who doesn't have the time or money to justify a gazillion processes/steps, what is the best way to go? I know how to wash and dry a car pretty much. Is a clay bar SAFE and worth the extra effort - I can definitely feel contaminants on the surface even after washing - if so which brand/type? I have a Simoniz 10" orbital polisher (motor: 120V, 0.65 A, 60 Hz; orb/min: 2600; weight: 4 lb 10 oz or 2.07 kg) and safely?? used it on my previous 325i sedan (faster and better results than by hand I think) but given that any orbital polisher inevitably vibrates the car panels as you use it, and old-schoolers like my father recommend always doing it by hand, I am afraid to use it on my current 335i coupe. I've been told that pure carnuba wax is the best way to go (I don't see much results using it), so what is the best one- or perhaps 2-step polish/wax or sealant out there? I presume the best way to go is always a 2-step polish/sealant (lasts longer than wax?), or is there an all-in-one that's good enough? Basically I'm looking for professional results that can be achieved in 2 hours, with products that are available at major retailers at affordable prices. Any comments w/b most appreciated.

Regards,
Greg F. (gotta love the first name!)

Last edited by Cosa Nostra; 09-25-2011 at 12:48 PM.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 11:33 AM   #1436
Detailed Image
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Detailed Image's Avatar
United_States
53
Rep
3,543
Posts


 
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Albany, NY

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg007 View Post
Hi George:

I take really good care of my BMW 335i coupe (albeit it is parked outside), and am tired of trying all of the waxes and polishes out there, as none of them achieve that beloved wet shiny look [Let's see in the past I've used BMW OEM carnuba wax; Black magic "cherry" liquid wax; Eagle One nano wax; Maguiars Gold Class wax; Turtle Ice wax; Maguiars Synthetic wax; and the list goes on and on LOL!...]. For the average do-it-yourselfer like me, who doesn't have the time or money to justify a gazillion processes/steps, what is the best way to go? I know how to wash and dry a car pretty much. Is a clay bar SAFE and worth the extra effort - I can definitely feel contaminants on the surface even after washing - if so which brand/type? I have a Simoniz 10" orbital polisher (motor: 120V, 0.65 A, 60 Hz; orb/min: 2600; weight: 4 lb 10 oz or 2.07 kg) and safely?? used it on my previous 325i sedan (faster and better results than by hand I think) but given that any orbital polisher inevitably vibrates the car panels as you use it, and old-schoolers like my father recommend always doing it by hand, I am afraid to use it on my current 335i coupe. I've been told that pure carnuba wax is the best way to go (I don't see much results using it), so what is the best one- or perhaps 2-step polish/wax or sealant out there? I presume the best way to go is always a 2-step polish/sealant (lasts longer than wax?), or is there an all-in-one that's good enough? Basically I'm looking for professional results that can be achieved in 2 hours, with products that are available at major retailers at affordable prices. Any comments w/b most appreciated.

Regards,
Greg F. (gotta love the first name!)
Greg,

Thank you for the message and I'd be happy to help. I understand time is often short and the detailing process has to go fast. I'll outline some of the fastest and most effective products I often use. The buffer you have most likely has a terry cloth bonnet and it's probably doing more harm than good for the surface. A wax may temporarily cover it up but they often leave a little haze of micro fine surface imperfections. I would suggest doing it by hand or saving up for a quality buffer that can utilize paint safe foam pads, assuming your buffer does not already have them.


If you want help washing faster I'd highly recommend washing with the Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine New Formula (ONR), it should save you time and it's a big help in cold weather. These two kits are a great value if interested - DI Packages Basic Hose Free Wash Package with ONR or DI Packages Optimum No Rinse (ONR) Washing and Drying Kit.

As for creating the shine I would recommend trying to do a full detail at least once a year and throughout the year just maintain the shine. If time permits I would recommend a clay bar like the DI Packages DI Gentle Fine Grade Clay Bar 100g & Clay Lube. It's a safe and effective way to deep clean the paint.

After cleaning polishing the paint is where you really create the shine. The Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205 is an awesome light polish that can remove ultra fine swirls, oxidation, etc. to make the clear coat more optically clear. Apply it with a foam applicator and use medium pressure for best results.

Now let's enhance the shine with a sealant that will protect the paint for months to come. For the absolute fastest application I HIGHLY recommend the Optimum Opti-Seal & Free Yellow Foam Applicator. Simply spray a fine mist on the supplied applicator and buff it on extremely thin and you are DONE! It dries completely clear and requires no removal, yet looks amazing and protects for months not weeks.

I understand this is a three step process but again just do all three at least once a year and the car will remain in great condition. In between you can just wash normally or with the ONR and protect it every 3+ months (or less if desired) with the Optimum Opti-Seal.

If you have any other questions please let me know.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 08:31 PM   #1437
Dukat
First Lieutenant
Dukat's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
383
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 X3 35i
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Hi Greg,

Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine gets great reviews. One of the recommended uses is to mix it with regular car wash, like the Gold Class wash.

If the No Rinse solution is made to slide off the car very easily, won't it take the soap/suds/bubbles from the wash right off not giving it time to sit on the car and pull up dirt?

Another listed use for No Rinse is as a detailing spray. I'm assuming it will remove dirt, but will it leave a shiny layer like a true detailing spray?

Thanks
__________________
2012 X3 35i | Mineral Silver | Oyster | Wave Wood
Packages | Sports | Cold Weather | Dynamic Handling | Premium | Technology | Premium Sound
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 03:22 PM   #1438
Detailed Image
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Detailed Image's Avatar
United_States
53
Rep
3,543
Posts


 
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Albany, NY

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukat View Post
Hi Greg,

Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine gets great reviews. One of the recommended uses is to mix it with regular car wash, like the Gold Class wash.

If the No Rinse solution is made to slide off the car very easily, won't it take the soap/suds/bubbles from the wash right off not giving it time to sit on the car and pull up dirt?

Another listed use for No Rinse is as a detailing spray. I'm assuming it will remove dirt, but will it leave a shiny layer like a true detailing spray?

Thanks
Yes you can mix the ONR with a shampoo if desired, but it's not a must have step. I'm personally not a fan of the Gold Class, I always seem to get a residue from it that is why I didn't pick it up for DI. However yes in general you can mix in a shampoo if desired, but now you'll want to rinse afterward. The shampoo will still help break up contaminants the ONR won't inhibit this process.

The ONR can be used as a quick detailer as well but it won't add any shine.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 01:40 PM   #1439
Cosa Nostra
Banned
7
Rep
268
Posts

 
Drives: 335i coupe
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Sicily

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
Greg,

Thank you for the message and I'd be happy to help. I understand time is often short and the detailing process has to go fast. I'll outline some of the fastest and most effective products I often use. The buffer you have most likely has a terry cloth bonnet and it's probably doing more harm than good for the surface. A wax may temporarily cover it up but they often leave a little haze of micro fine surface imperfections. I would suggest doing it by hand or saving up for a quality buffer that can utilize paint safe foam pads, assuming your buffer does not already have them.


If you want help washing faster I'd highly recommend washing with the Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine New Formula (ONR), it should save you time and it's a big help in cold weather. These two kits are a great value if interested - DI Packages Basic Hose Free Wash Package with ONR or DI Packages Optimum No Rinse (ONR) Washing and Drying Kit.

As for creating the shine I would recommend trying to do a full detail at least once a year and throughout the year just maintain the shine. If time permits I would recommend a clay bar like the DI Packages DI Gentle Fine Grade Clay Bar 100g & Clay Lube. It's a safe and effective way to deep clean the paint.

After cleaning polishing the paint is where you really create the shine. The Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205 is an awesome light polish that can remove ultra fine swirls, oxidation, etc. to make the clear coat more optically clear. Apply it with a foam applicator and use medium pressure for best results.

Now let's enhance the shine with a sealant that will protect the paint for months to come. For the absolute fastest application I HIGHLY recommend the Optimum Opti-Seal & Free Yellow Foam Applicator. Simply spray a fine mist on the supplied applicator and buff it on extremely thin and you are DONE! It dries completely clear and requires no removal, yet looks amazing and protects for months not weeks.

I understand this is a three step process but again just do all three at least once a year and the car will remain in great condition. In between you can just wash normally or with the ONR and protect it every 3+ months (or less if desired) with the Optimum Opti-Seal.

If you have any other questions please let me know.

Greg @ DI
Thanks Greg, I'll definitely give these products a try! However, I live in Toronto, Canada, so how can I order them???

Last edited by Cosa Nostra; 10-01-2011 at 01:52 PM.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 08:31 AM   #1440
lvm3
Enlisted Member
lvm3's Avatar
1
Rep
41
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 330xi
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Denver

iTrader: (2)

D.I. Guys,

I just received my order from you and want to thank you for your many written pages of assistance that you have given others. I have read through your postings on this site and on your site reviewing products and techniques that I will be using. My order was received in good time and I appreciate the 10% discount! Count me as yet another loyal customer!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 07:42 PM   #1441
jjohnson085
New Member
1
Rep
10
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 328i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Tampa,FL,US

iTrader: (0)

Stained Carpet

Hi,

Looks like some water got under the passenger side BMW floor mats and now the carpet is stained. Any recommendations on what to use to try and get the stain out or am I screwed?
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 01:22 PM   #1442
Greg Nichols
Enlisted Member
Greg Nichols's Avatar
0
Rep
38
Posts

 
Drives: CAR
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Utah

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjohnson085 View Post
Hi,

Looks like some water got under the passenger side BMW floor mats and now the carpet is stained. Any recommendations on what to use to try and get the stain out or am I screwed?
I appears you have a dye transfer from the bottom of the floor mat, you will need a solvent to remove that or diminish it. Most APCs will likely set the stain so I wouldn't go that route. dedicated carpet cleaners are your best bet from carpet cleaners. IME if you try to dry steam that stain you will set it. citrus solv by bridgepoint http://interlinksupply.com/index.htm...++++++++++++++ is a good starting point. You need to test in a blind spot to see how it works first. The CS might need to be added to another solvent to help clean.

Cheers,
__________________
Detailing guru with a touch of class
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 09:15 PM   #1443
jmaville
Second Lieutenant
2
Rep
233
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 F30 335i xdrive M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: CT

iTrader: (-1)

Garage List
How to fix a spot in my paint? A painless dent remover took out a door ding and then wet sanded the high spots...after some compound is gone but then appears? What should I do to fix this?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 12:33 PM   #1444
Detailed Image
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Detailed Image's Avatar
United_States
53
Rep
3,543
Posts


 
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Albany, NY

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaville View Post
How to fix a spot in my paint? A painless dent remover took out a door ding and then wet sanded the high spots...after some compound is gone but then appears? What should I do to fix this?
The compound must have not really fixed the situation because the results from a compound are permanent. It's possible a glaze or wax was used afterward that temporarily covered up some ultra fine imperfections. Can you take some pictures of the spot/marks and describe them in more detail? The more information I have the better I can tailor a response to your needs.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 10:50 AM   #1445
soslower82
Private First Class
China
4
Rep
184
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

i'm looking to detail my 2009 e92. do u sell a starter kit? I already have a PC. Car has a lot of orange peel for being OEM paint. My E46 M3 didn't have this much orange peel.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 11:00 AM   #1446
Royal Flush
Major
Royal Flush's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
1,306
Posts

 
Drives: 335i, 335is, GT-R, SL65
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NoVA/NYC/LV

iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to Royal Flush
Quote:
Originally Posted by soslower82 View Post
i'm looking to detail my 2009 e92. do u sell a starter kit? I already have a PC. Car has a lot of orange peel for being OEM paint. My E46 M3 didn't have this much orange peel.
DI Packages
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 11:23 AM   #1447
335 oClock
MOE
335 oClock's Avatar
United_States
65
Rep
2,530
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 e92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (13)

Send a message via AIM to 335 oClock
can I wax matte black wheels? using petes 53 wax from chemical guys
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 11:24 AM   #1448
335 oClock
MOE
335 oClock's Avatar
United_States
65
Rep
2,530
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 e92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (13)

Send a message via AIM to 335 oClock
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjohnson085 View Post
Hi,

Looks like some water got under the passenger side BMW floor mats and now the carpet is stained. Any recommendations on what to use to try and get the stain out or am I screwed?
http://www.chemicalguys.com/Carpet_a...spi_191_16.htm

most amazing product.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 11:38 AM   #1449
sorryiwasnapping
Private First Class
1
Rep
137
Posts

 
Drives: '12 VW GTI
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335 oClock View Post
Make sure you dilute it properly. This stuff is very powerful, and very awesome
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 11:39 AM   #1450
sorryiwasnapping
Private First Class
1
Rep
137
Posts

 
Drives: '12 VW GTI
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335 oClock View Post
can I wax matte black wheels? using petes 53 wax from chemical guys
I can't see why you couldn't. however, I would recommend using a sealant instead, a decent sealant should last a bit longer than a wax.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 11:45 AM   #1451
335 oClock
MOE
335 oClock's Avatar
United_States
65
Rep
2,530
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 e92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (13)

Send a message via AIM to 335 oClock
i sealed it twice already using jet-seal 8)


Quote:
Originally Posted by sorryiwasnapping View Post
I can't see why you couldn't. however, I would recommend using a sealant instead, a decent sealant should last a bit longer than a wax.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 01:06 PM   #1452
sorryiwasnapping
Private First Class
1
Rep
137
Posts

 
Drives: '12 VW GTI
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorryiwasnapping View Post
I can't see why you couldn't. however, I would recommend using a sealant instead, a decent sealant should last a bit longer than a wax.

apparently I may be incorrect after reading you original thread. Eric definitely knows his stuff, so if he suggests that Matte requires a certain wax, he's most likely correct. Though, he didn't mention anything on Sealants.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:28 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST