E90Post
 


European Auto Source
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Ask a Professional Detailer...



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-18-2012, 09:00 PM   #1563
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
DUI Elite's Avatar
22
Rep
1,721
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 SGM E90
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (4)

Thoughts on Lexol Leather cleaner and also conditioner?

Cleaner claims to pull out oils, and the conditioner claims to bring back the matte finish of an original seat. Any personal experience with either product?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 11:42 AM   #1564
Detailed Image
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Detailed Image's Avatar
United_States
53
Rep
3,548
Posts


 
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Albany, NY

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu- View Post
Thanks

i actually had to re-compound the entire vehicle with meg 105 on a surbuf pad. some of the sanding marks were bad enough that they required me to do it twice! i followed that up with 203S white pad and finally po85rd black pad.

I haven't completed the vehicle yet. only up to step 2 with 70% of the car.

tough work!
Yeah that routine sounds like a more likely scenario but it really just depends on the shop. Good luck with this process the results will be worth it!

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 11:48 AM   #1565
Detailed Image
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Detailed Image's Avatar
United_States
53
Rep
3,548
Posts


 
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Albany, NY

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUI Elite View Post
Thoughts on Lexol Leather cleaner and also conditioner?

Cleaner claims to pull out oils, and the conditioner claims to bring back the matte finish of an original seat. Any personal experience with either product?
Both products are solid but not my favorite. If you are shopping locally it's usually one of the better options, but please don't use any of the heavy dressings out there. I would highly recommend Leatherique Prestine Clean and Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil instead, for much better results. They do cost more but I think it's worth the investment to provide your leather optimal care. Best of all we are having a HUGE 25% off sale through 3/22/12 if interested. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to help.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 04:58 AM   #1566
DSB335d
Lieutenant
13
Rep
558
Posts

 
Drives: '11 335d DSB/oyster&black/navi
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: West palm beach

iTrader: (0)

Clay bar use

My apologies if this has been addressed already.

Anyway I have a couple spots (bird crap) on my '11 335d. I hand wash it once a week and noticed a couple spots where the paint is slightly hazy where bird crap had been on the car. I picked up a med grit clay bar (clay magic) and also the recommend clay lube (49 body shine). I was very liberal with the spray as I used the clay bar on the 2 spots.( this is after I hand washed the car)

It left some very fine scratches where I used the clay bar.

How do I go about properly removing these fine scratches?

Thanks for any help.
Jason
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 10:55 AM   #1567
tofu-
Banned
43
Rep
2,858
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Jet Black/Coral Red
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: nyc

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSB335d View Post
My apologies if this has been addressed already.

Anyway I have a couple spots (bird crap) on my '11 335d. I hand wash it once a week and noticed a couple spots where the paint is slightly hazy where bird crap had been on the car. I picked up a med grit clay bar (clay magic) and also the recommend clay lube (49 body shine). I was very liberal with the spray as I used the clay bar on the 2 spots.( this is after I hand washed the car)

It left some very fine scratches where I used the clay bar.

How do I go about properly removing these fine scratches?

Thanks for any help.
Jason
medium leaves marring on my car too. is yours jet black by any chance?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 05:39 PM   #1568
DSB335d
Lieutenant
13
Rep
558
Posts

 
Drives: '11 335d DSB/oyster&black/navi
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: West palm beach

iTrader: (0)

Deep sea blue. How do you remove the marring?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 11:48 PM   #1569
tofu-
Banned
43
Rep
2,858
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Jet Black/Coral Red
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: nyc

iTrader: (4)

either use a less aggressive clay or you'll have to use a light polish every time.

i only clay when i intend on polishing, so it's not a biggie for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 01:30 AM   #1570
mr.e90
Captain
12
Rep
709
Posts

 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cali

iTrader: (9)

Greg, I recently got my car vandalized and my lights also got keyed. They are not so deep but enough to notice. How can i remove these? Please help. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 10:07 AM   #1571
Detailed Image
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Detailed Image's Avatar
United_States
53
Rep
3,548
Posts


 
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Albany, NY

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSB335d View Post
My apologies if this has been addressed already.

Anyway I have a couple spots (bird crap) on my '11 335d. I hand wash it once a week and noticed a couple spots where the paint is slightly hazy where bird crap had been on the car. I picked up a med grit clay bar (clay magic) and also the recommend clay lube (49 body shine). I was very liberal with the spray as I used the clay bar on the 2 spots.( this is after I hand washed the car)

It left some very fine scratches where I used the clay bar.

How do I go about properly removing these fine scratches?

Thanks for any help.
Jason
Jason,

Sorry to hear about the bird droppings. In general I only recommend the fine grade bar combined with a wash for these situations. A medium grade bar is more commonly used for excessive tar, paint overspray, etc., because they are prone to marring the paint. To remove any ultra fine scratches or etches from bird droppings I would use the same polishing process. Start off with a light polish and use a more aggressive one as needed. So I'd suggest starting with the Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205 and moving up to the Meguiar's Ultra-Cut Compound M105 as needed. After the surface is clean apply a few small drops on a foam applicator and buff it on with medium arm pressure or use a buffer ideally. As soon as you are done you can wipe away the polish with a clean microfiber towel and inspect the results. If it's not enough move up to the M105 with medium to firm pressure in a circular arm motion. That should take care of the marks if not a buffer will need to be used with these same polishes before moving up to a wet sanding but hopefully neither is necessary. Good luck!

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 10:14 AM   #1572
Detailed Image
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Detailed Image's Avatar
United_States
53
Rep
3,548
Posts


 
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Albany, NY

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.e90 View Post
Greg, I recently got my car vandalized and my lights also got keyed. They are not so deep but enough to notice. How can i remove these? Please help. Thank you.
Very sorry to hear it, that is really terrible. If you can easily feel the marks with your finger they may be too deep to be buffed out and a body shop may be needed. If they are not too deep my recommendation is basically identical to the above post.

"So I'd suggest starting with the Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205 and moving up to the Meguiar's Ultra-Cut Compound M105 as needed. After the surface is clean apply a few small drops on a foam applicator and buff it on with medium arm pressure or use a buffer ideally. As soon as you are done you can wipe away the polish with a clean microfiber towel and inspect the results. If it's not enough move up to the M105 with medium to firm pressure in a circular arm motion. That should take care of the marks if not a buffer will need to be used with these same polishes before moving up to a wet sanding but hopefully neither is necessary."

For the headlights the process is basically the same. Check out these articles if you want to see it more in depth.
http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...s-on-a-budget/
http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...ation-process/

I hope this info helps and I hope you somehow catch these vandals. Maybe pick up one of those motion sensitive night cameras that hunters use. Take care!

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 12:27 PM   #1573
zanth119
Buy the ticket, take the ride!
zanth119's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
84
Posts

 
Drives: 2002 330cic, 2012 328ix Wagon
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Philly, PA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Hi Greg - getting ready to do the first full detail on my E91 this weekend. As you recommended, will be sealing with the Blackfire Wet Diamond, and then want to try a coat of Poorboys Natty's Paste Wax (Blue) on top. I want to apply the wax with the PC 7427 XP, and I have the black (AKA grey) LC pads. Can you advise on the following, please?

What's the best way to get the paste wax onto the pad, and how much should be used per panel?

What speed should the PC be set to?

How much hand pressure on the PC should be used?

Any other tips for a waxing newb would be helpful. Thanks!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 07:27 AM   #1574
nitehawk
Lieutenant Colonel
nitehawk's Avatar
Canada
20
Rep
1,638
Posts

 
Drives: e92 335i 6MT
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (15)

Garage List
Hi Greg,

Quick question, how should one store their clay bar to keep it like new and prevent it from drying up?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 09:19 AM   #1575
Weaselboy
Major
Weaselboy's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
1,101
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 335i F30 Sedan
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: SoCal USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitehawk View Post
Hi Greg,

Quick question, how should one store their clay bar to keep it like new and prevent it from drying up?
I store mine in a zip-lock bag and that seems to keep the clay fresh.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 10:09 PM   #1576
Detailed Image
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Detailed Image's Avatar
United_States
53
Rep
3,548
Posts


 
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Albany, NY

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanth119 View Post
Hi Greg - getting ready to do the first full detail on my E91 this weekend. As you recommended, will be sealing with the Blackfire Wet Diamond, and then want to try a coat of Poorboys Natty's Paste Wax (Blue) on top. I want to apply the wax with the PC 7427 XP, and I have the black (AKA grey) LC pads. Can you advise on the following, please?

What's the best way to get the paste wax onto the pad, and how much should be used per panel?

What speed should the PC be set to?

How much hand pressure on the PC should be used?

Any other tips for a waxing newb would be helpful. Thanks!
I would suggest a black or blue pad to apply the BFWD. In general paste waxes like the Natty's Blue Paste Wax are meant to be applied by hand. You could try to spread a bit of the wax on the face of the pad I feel you'll waste a lot of time and product. Instead I would just simply recommend applying it by hand or pick up the Poorboy's World Liquid Natty's Blue Wax instead. This liquid wax can be applied by hand or with a buffer and a blue or black pad.

In general I apply sealants and liquid waxes at speed three. No pressure is needed for these products, polishing is the step that requires some pressure. Your goal is to evenly apply a nice thin coating.

If you need more tips don't hesitate to ask questions or check out our detailing guide and our Ask a Pro Blog. Hope this helps!

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 10:14 PM   #1577
Detailed Image
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Detailed Image's Avatar
United_States
53
Rep
3,548
Posts


 
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Albany, NY

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitehawk View Post
Hi Greg,

Quick question, how should one store their clay bar to keep it like new and prevent it from drying up?
Store the clay bar in an air tight container like this one - DI Accessories Clay Bar Storage Container. Before sealing it spray the bar with some clay lube and then store it out of direct sun at room temperature. It should be fine if you follow this basic precaution. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to help.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 12:05 AM   #1578
HK8888
Captain
HK8888's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
938
Posts

 
Drives: '08 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 M3 Coupe  [5.00]
What's the best cleaning/conditioning product for Fox Red leather currently in the market?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 09:42 AM   #1579
1080eyes
Enlisted Member
United_States
2
Rep
34
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 328i vert.
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Alabama

iTrader: (0)

Greg,
Great info and thanks.
I just took delivery of a 328i demo. the interior plastic had a couple of spots where the black plastic, had some white "scrape marks" on them. (like what gets on the door sill shoes marks) I tried some interior cleaner I had laying around. Didn't work. What can I use to restore the black in the plastic?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 07:20 AM   #1580
zanth119
Buy the ticket, take the ride!
zanth119's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
84
Posts

 
Drives: 2002 330cic, 2012 328ix Wagon
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Philly, PA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
I would suggest a black or blue pad to apply the BFWD. In general paste waxes like the Natty's Blue Paste Wax are meant to be applied by hand. You could try to spread a bit of the wax on the face of the pad I feel you'll waste a lot of time and product. Instead I would just simply recommend applying it by hand or pick up the Poorboy's World Liquid Natty's Blue Wax instead. This liquid wax can be applied by hand or with a buffer and a blue or black pad.

In general I apply sealants and liquid waxes at speed three. No pressure is needed for these products, polishing is the step that requires some pressure. Your goal is to evenly apply a nice thin coating.

If you need more tips don't hesitate to ask questions or check out our detailing guide and our Ask a Pro Blog. Hope this helps!

Greg @ DI
Cool, thanks Greg, weather isn't cooperating this weekend, but I'll post up pix when I get her shined up, really appreciate all the advice. Also, thanks for the info on the training, should you guys ever offer in the future keep us posted...
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 03:58 PM   #1581
Detailed Image
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Detailed Image's Avatar
United_States
53
Rep
3,548
Posts


 
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Albany, NY

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK8888 View Post
What's the best cleaning/conditioning product for Fox Red leather currently in the market?
I personally recommend the Leatherique Prestine Clean and Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil combo. It does a great job of cleaning and conditioning the leather. Use some extra product on older seats and use a bit less to maintain newer seats. Check out this step by step guide if interested in learning more with before and after pics - http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...r-care-how-to/. I hope this helps and I'd be happy to answer any other questions you may have.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 03:59 PM   #1582
Detailed Image
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Detailed Image's Avatar
United_States
53
Rep
3,548
Posts


 
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Albany, NY

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanth119 View Post
Cool, thanks Greg, weather isn't cooperating this weekend, but I'll post up pix when I get her shined up, really appreciate all the advice. Also, thanks for the info on the training, should you guys ever offer in the future keep us posted...
Glad to help and when the weather gets better we hope to hear about your results.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 06:19 AM   #1583
E46toE90
Sparkling Graphite Metallic FTW
E46toE90's Avatar
32
Rep
2,576
Posts

 
Drives: lci m-sport e90 n55
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: the bronx

iTrader: (12)

Great thread thanks for the help !

I have a 2006 e90 with black Dakota leather. It is my daily driver and have alot of oil build up on the seat. My rear seats are extremely dry and seem to throw off a slight white. How can I take care of this ?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 11:10 AM   #1584
rogerdiaz
Lieutenant
United_States
6
Rep
541
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335d
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Durham,NC

iTrader: (2)

scuff gloss black grille

This is a whitish paint scuff/scratch on plastic gloss black grille. superficial. caused by some part of a bicycle landing on my car.

Any detailed image products for this issue?
Attached Images
   
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:38 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST