E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Ask a Professional Detailer...

06-26-2012, 05:10 PM   #1651
newtobimmer23

Drives: e90

I recently got my car detailed by a reputable detail center and I'm not sure what to make of it. The paint is exceptionally smooth and great shine. In indirect sunlight, the car looks great and almost brand new.

Sitting in the garage under led and halogen lights, the car looks stunning. However, in direct sunlight, it seems there is some haze going on or the sun hitting the panels and just a weird effect going on that wasn't there before.

Not sure if it is too much product and after a hand wash, it'll be fine or there is damage done. What can it possibly be and what can I do to remedy it? Thanks.
      06-27-2012, 01:45 AM   #1652
nation
Private First Class

Drives: 335i

could you suggest a wax for sparkling graphite? im currently using meg #16 wax.
it worked great on the sti but i think for the money theres got to be something that will really make the paint look deep.
      07-01-2012, 12:27 AM   #1653
nitehawk
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: e92 335i 6MT

Garage List
Hi Greg,

Quick question. How do you typically recommend applying a sealant: by hand or with a PC? I have both the DI Yellow Foam Applicator Pads for hand application and the 5.5" Blue Fine Finishing Pads to use with the PC. The sealant I will use is Blackfire Wet Diamond.

Is there any need to apply pressure or is the natural movement of my hands adequate?

Last edited by nitehawk; 07-01-2012 at 08:30 PM.
nitehawk is offline   Canada
      07-01-2012, 03:13 PM   #1654
WesleyC
Colonel

Drives: BMW

Hi Greg,

Sorry if this has been covered, but I've been having a hard time with my exhaust tips. There is a ton of carbon that has been a pita to remove. I've used the Magic Eraser (both normal and extra strength) with decent results, but it is still not good enough for me. Would 0000 steel wool be a better option? Is there any sort or liquid/paste that you would recommend for me to use to help break down the carbon before I start scrubbing with the steel wool?

Thanks,
Wes
WesleyC is offline   United_States
      07-01-2012, 05:55 PM   #1655
tofu-
Banned

Drives: 335i Jet Black/Coral Red

does nanoscrub strip wax and/or sealants?

both fine and regular versions of the nanoscrub
      07-02-2012, 02:49 PM   #1656
Detailed Image
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtobimmer23 View Post
I recently got my car detailed by a reputable detail center and I'm not sure what to make of it. The paint is exceptionally smooth and great shine. In indirect sunlight, the car looks great and almost brand new.

Sitting in the garage under led and halogen lights, the car looks stunning. However, in direct sunlight, it seems there is some haze going on or the sun hitting the panels and just a weird effect going on that wasn't there before.

Not sure if it is too much product and after a hand wash, it'll be fine or there is damage done. What can it possibly be and what can I do to remedy it? Thanks.
Most likely it's a bugger trail from the detailer polishing the surface. BMW's, especially darker colors, seem to be a bit more prone to this showing up. It's generally fixed by using another finer combination of polish and pad. I would first wash with the Chemical Guys Citrus Wash to remove the protection on the surface. Assuming it's very faint I would most likely use the Menzerna Micro Polish SF 4500 (PO85RD) and the Lake Country Black Finishing Pad (blue or crimson pads works too). This usually helps clear up a light haze.

Afterward you'll want to apply a sealant or wax to protect the finish again. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to help.

Greg @ DI
Detailed Image is offline   United_States
      07-02-2012, 02:56 PM   #1657
Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by nation View Post
could you suggest a wax for sparkling graphite? im currently using meg #16 wax.
it worked great on the sti but i think for the money theres got to be something that will really make the paint look deep.
Thank you for the question I'd be happy to help. First off giving the paint a quick polish could be the biggest help. Polishes help remove oxidation, light swirls, etc. so you get that deep shine back. Even a brand new vehicle can usually benefit from a very light polishing. Therefore depending on the age and condition of the paint you may want to start there.

If you polish or don't a wax certainly can help enhance the appearance. Two of my top choices would be the Chemical Guys 50/50 Limited Series Concours Paste Wax Version 2 and the Dodo Juice Rainforest Rub Soft Wax. Both look exceptional and really make the flake pop! If you want another choice that is more cost effective but still great the Chemical Guys XXX Hard Core Paste Wax is good deal!

Don't forget we have FREE S/H through 7/4 with the code July4Ship12, no min spend. Let me know if you need a polish recommendation and if so let me know more about your vehicle. Take care!

Greg @ DI
      07-02-2012, 03:01 PM   #1658
Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitehawk View Post
Hi Greg,

Quick question. How do you typically recommend applying a sealant: by hand or with a PC? I have both the DI Yellow Foam Applicator Pads for hand application and the 5.5" Blue Fine Finishing Pads to use with the PC. The sealant I will use is Blackfire Wet Diamond.

Is there any need to apply pressure or is the natural movement of my hands adequate?
In my opinion there is very little difference between the application methods. In general a hand application gets in the corners better, while a buffer spreads it thinner and more evenly. Polishes are really where a buffer has a huge advantage and becomes more critical. If I use a buffer to apply a sealant I use a blue pad, if done by hand virtually any soft applicator works just make sure it is CLEAN! Sealants are simply spread on the surface they do not need to be worked in to the surface like a polish, so light pressure is plenty. Our (http://www.detailedimage.com/Auto-De...uide/Sealants/) sealant section of our detailing guide may be helpful as well. Keep me posted if you have additional questions and I hope you enjoy the BFWD!

Greg @ DI
      07-02-2012, 03:34 PM   #1659
Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes. View Post
Hi Greg,

Sorry if this has been covered, but I've been having a hard time with my exhaust tips. There is a ton of carbon that has been a pita to remove. I've used the Magic Eraser (both normal and extra strength) with decent results, but it is still not good enough for me. Would 0000 steel wool be a better option? Is there any sort or liquid/paste that you would recommend for me to use to help break down the carbon before I start scrubbing with the steel wool?

Thanks,
Wes
Wes,

Steel wool can work pretty effectively. I'm not a huge fan of it though because if you use it repeatedly I fear it could add some faint scratches or potentially harm the finish. So if you use it try to do so sparingly just to be extra safe. You may also want to try a cleaner on it like the CarPro Iron X Iron Remover, which I've been using on the paint, wheels, etc. My other go to product is a quality metal polish like the P21S Finish Restorer. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask!

Greg @ DI
      07-02-2012, 03:41 PM   #1660
Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu- View Post
does nanoscrub strip wax and/or sealants?

both fine and regular versions of the nanoscrub
They are not designed to strip off all protection but yes it will remove some of the protection from the surface. The Chemical Guys Citrus Wash or something similar would be wise to wash with before hand so you remove the protection before using the NanoSkin AutoScrub Fine Foam Pad. This is the most effective way to use the product and get maximum cleaning power. Hope this info helps!

Greg @ DI
      07-02-2012, 07:02 PM   #1661
mob17
Brigadier General

Drives: E92 335D

Greg,

I wish you shipped to the UK
1996 E36 316I SE
mob17 is offline   United Kingdom
      07-02-2012, 08:29 PM   #1662
tofu-
Banned

Drives: 335i Jet Black/Coral Red

thanks greg.

is prepsol safe to use on a vehicle 3-4 times a year prior to waxing or post polishing?
      07-03-2012, 12:22 PM   #1663
Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
Greg,

I wish you shipped to the UK
Sorry about that, I sincerely wish we did too. We had so many problems with international shipments it was just too time consuming to continue on with. Hopefully we'll have it back at some point, but it will not be in the near future.

Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu- View Post
thanks greg.

is prepsol safe to use on a vehicle 3-4 times a year prior to waxing or post polishing?
Sorry I'm not sure what you mean by prepsol? Once I have that info I'll try to get back to you.

Greg
      08-06-2012, 11:44 AM   #1664
MxRacerCam
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2008 335i Coupe

Hey Greg,

What do you recommend for an inexpensive orbital? I plan on using a clay bar on my Barbara Red 335i to get rid of the bugs and contaminants, but after I do that, I'll want to use a light cleaner wax and a good sealer wax, and feel like an inexpensive orbital might make my life a lot easier. It's something I'll use once every 6-8 weeks just for upkeep on the one car. I'm not looking to recondition the paint or do anything particularly heavy though.

Thanks for your help!

-Dave
      08-06-2012, 01:54 PM   #1665
BMW335icoupe
Captain

Drives: 2009 BMW 335i Xdrive Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxRacerCam
Hey Greg,

What do you recommend for an inexpensive orbital? I plan on using a clay bar on my Barbara Red 335i to get rid of the bugs and contaminants, but after I do that, I'll want to use a light cleaner wax and a good sealer wax, and feel like an inexpensive orbital might make my life a lot easier. It's something I'll use once every 6-8 weeks just for upkeep on the one car. I'm not looking to recondition the paint or do anything particularly heavy though.

Thanks for your help!

-Dave
Griots Garage.
      08-11-2012, 10:34 PM   #1666
2ndname
Autobot

Drives: E90 325i Auto~NO~Go

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [5.00]
I have a question o' wise one.

Today I've done the following:
1. Washed the car
2. Clayed the car
3. Used Menzerna's SIP PO83 with a cutting pad
4. Used Klasse's AIO with a polishing pad
5. Used 1 coat of Klasse's High Gloss with a finishing pad

Now, in about 2-3 weeks, I will be washing my car again (Yes, black car - PITA), what are the suggested steps? Do I do all of the steps above all over again? I want to rebuild my paint due to neglect from the previous owner so I want to make sure that I'm doing it right. Thanks in advance!
      08-21-2012, 01:40 PM   #1667
Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxRacerCam View Post
Hey Greg,

Thanks for your help!

-Dave

Dave,

Unfortunately the very inexpensive units are usually not worth it because they don't have enough power to work in a polish and the pad/bonnets are not great for the paint. For a high quality buffer that is reasonably affordable the Porter Cable 7424 XP is a great choice, in a kit like this one DI Packages Porter Cable 7424XP 4" Basic Kit.

If you have the time for a two step process I'd highly recommend getting a polish and sealant instead of a cleaner wax and a sealer wax, which would be somewhat redundant. By using a light polish like the Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205 you can clean the surface and remove some of the ultra fine swirls and oxidation. I would apply this with at least two white pads and then pick up one blue pad for the sealant. My favorite sealant is the Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection but the Rejex Sealant will also work great. This combo should produce an incredible shine and protect the surface for months. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to help.

Greg @ DI
      08-21-2012, 01:41 PM   #1668
Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW335icoupe View Post
Griots Garage.
The Griot's Garage Random Orbital Polisher is a great choice as well for just a bit more money than the PC.

Greg @ DI
      08-21-2012, 01:46 PM   #1669
Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndname View Post
I have a question o' wise one.

Today I've done the following:
1. Washed the car
2. Clayed the car
3. Used Menzerna's SIP PO83 with a cutting pad
4. Used Klasse's AIO with a polishing pad
5. Used 1 coat of Klasse's High Gloss with a finishing pad

Now, in about 2-3 weeks, I will be washing my car again (Yes, black car - PITA), what are the suggested steps? Do I do all of the steps above all over again? I want to rebuild my paint due to neglect from the previous owner so I want to make sure that I'm doing it right. Thanks in advance!

Glad to hear the detailing went well! In 2 - 3 weeks you'll have plenty of protection left on the surface so you don't have to do anything. Obviously a nice wash will help clean the surface and you can add that freshly detailed appearance with a quick coat of wax or a spray on product. The Chemical Guys HYBRID V7 - Optical Select High Gloss Spray Sealant is very popular for this task as it adds protection and a noticeable shine. With about 15 - 20 minutes the whole car should look like it was freshly detailed. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to help.

Greg @ DI
      08-21-2012, 11:36 PM   #1670
MxRacerCam
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2008 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
Dave,

Unfortunately the very inexpensive units are usually not worth it because they don't have enough power to work in a polish and the pad/bonnets are not great for the paint. For a high quality buffer that is reasonably affordable the Porter Cable 7424 XP is a great choice, in a kit like this one DI Packages Porter Cable 7424XP 4" Basic Kit.

If you have the time for a two step process I'd highly recommend getting a polish and sealant instead of a cleaner wax and a sealer wax, which would be somewhat redundant. By using a light polish like the Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205 you can clean the surface and remove some of the ultra fine swirls and oxidation. I would apply this with at least two white pads and then pick up one blue pad for the sealant. My favorite sealant is the Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection but the Rejex Sealant will also work great. This combo should produce an incredible shine and protect the surface for months. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to help.

Greg @ DI
Greg, thanks for the reply. I ended up getting the PC 7424XP and the Meguiars Microfiber kit. I am really impressed with how well this kit worked!
      08-22-2012, 04:29 AM   #1671
deng
Sparky

Drives: 2007 328xi

The interior plastics/vinyl and leather is showing its age. What do you recommend I use to clean he polish these materials? I need a really good professional cleaner for my beige colored plastic and vinyl trims.
      08-22-2012, 02:03 PM   #1672
mia335i
Lieutenant

Drives: 07e92 335i

What's your thought of Adams porter cable7424xp kit with swirl
Removal, polish and wax. (the 3 step kit ) comes with clay too. My car is a 09 jet black 335 with some swirls. Thanks