E90Post
 


GT Haus
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Ask a Professional Detailer...



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-30-2014, 08:26 PM   #1827
Jspstorms
Private First Class
United_States
5
Rep
155
Posts

Drives: 335 e93 / 335 e92
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Sarasota

iTrader: (0)

Sorry if you already touched on this, but I have an e93 with tan seats. The previous owner must've had the top down all the time, cause it's really dirty. Not worn, just dirt inside the little texture marks. What's the best way to get that stuff out? I've tried leather cleaners, but they don't seem to get it. Any special brushes or tools you recommend that would help the cleaner get down in the texture?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 10:24 PM   #1828
328i_E92_2007
Private
328i_E92_2007's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
99
Posts

Drives: 2007 328i Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Sorry if this has already been asked but is is a large thread. Anyway, i recently got my car wrapped in matte blue, and for now i just have been using a California duster to keep it clean. But I do want to wash it if possible, do you have any comments on how I should keep it clean and maintain it? Any product suggestions? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 11:53 PM   #1829
SHEEDI
Lieutenant Colonel
SHEEDI's Avatar
United_States
49
Rep
1,783
Posts

Drives: 2009 335i - Sport PKG
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [4.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspstorms View Post
Sorry if you already touched on this, but I have an e93 with tan seats. The previous owner must've had the top down all the time, cause it's really dirty. Not worn, just dirt inside the little texture marks. What's the best way to get that stuff out? I've tried leather cleaners, but they don't seem to get it. Any special brushes or tools you recommend that would help the cleaner get down in the texture?
here is the best stuff

http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...r-care-how-to/
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 12:24 AM   #1830
Detailed Image
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Detailed Image's Avatar
United_States
57
Rep
3,657
Posts


Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Albany, NY

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspstorms View Post
Sorry if you already touched on this, but I have an e93 with tan seats. The previous owner must've had the top down all the time, cause it's really dirty. Not worn, just dirt inside the little texture marks. What's the best way to get that stuff out? I've tried leather cleaners, but they don't seem to get it. Any special brushes or tools you recommend that would help the cleaner get down in the texture?
The Leatherique How-To SHEEDI posted is definitely a great article on a great leather cleaning process. If you've tried it though, you may need to try something a little more aggressive to dissolve/remove the dirt. We usually have luck with Meguiar's APC but of course you have to use use it carefully. Try on a small spot, don't rub a lot, definitely use a microfiber towel and not a terry cloth and see if that works.

Hopefully it's nothing really heavy that has soiled the leather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328i_E92_2007 View Post
Sorry if this has already been asked but is is a large thread. Anyway, i recently got my car wrapped in matte blue, and for now i just have been using a California duster to keep it clean. But I do want to wash it if possible, do you have any comments on how I should keep it clean and maintain it? Any product suggestions? Thanks!
As cliche as it may sound, I'd make sure to first ask the person/company who did the wrap and get their recommendation. We've seen no ill effects from using regular car soap, such as Chem Guys Citrus Wash & Gloss, on the few matte wrapped cars we detailed, but as I said, they may have a better recommendation.

Hope that helps!

Ivan @ DI
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 04:27 PM   #1831
lvm3
Enlisted Member
lvm3's Avatar
1
Rep
41
Posts

Drives: 2006 330xi
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Denver

iTrader: (2)

Which is the better quick detailer Meguiar's Last Touch, Chemical Guys Synthetic Quick Detailer, or one you may like better than these two?


Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 08:57 PM   #1832
Detailed Image
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Detailed Image's Avatar
United_States
57
Rep
3,657
Posts


Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Albany, NY

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvm3 View Post
Which is the better quick detailer Meguiar's Last Touch, Chemical Guys Synthetic Quick Detailer, or one you may like better than these two?

Thanks
While we rarely use quick detailer at the shop now, I've always liked Final Inspection M34, but did enjoy Last Touch as well. I haven't used the Chem Guys much, but it worked fine when I used it a few months back. I'm sure you won't dislike any of those.

Ivan @ LUSTR
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 12:57 PM   #1833
shazzy04
Lieutenant Colonel
shazzy04's Avatar
South Korea
19
Rep
1,848
Posts

Drives: '15 F22 M235i
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: South Jersey

iTrader: (6)

Send a message via AIM to shazzy04 Send a message via MSN to shazzy04
I just picked up a new m235i, and I was wondering what products would you recommend for me to use for weekly washes and waxes as well as for the wheels. If it matters I plan to take the car in for a full detail in the spring and fall.

Thanks !
__________________
2015 M235i - Mineral Gray/Coral Red - Cold Weather/ Technology/Premium Packages

Mods coming soon
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 01:32 PM   #1834
Detailed Image
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Detailed Image's Avatar
United_States
57
Rep
3,657
Posts


Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Albany, NY

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazzy04 View Post
I just picked up a new m235i, and I was wondering what products would you recommend for me to use for weekly washes and waxes as well as for the wheels. If it matters I plan to take the car in for a full detail in the spring and fall.

Thanks !
Congrats shazzy. For washing, you could start with something basic like the Starter Kit, but I'd recommend getting a couple buckets and grit guards along with a good hose nozzle, etc.

For the wheels I like P21S Wheel Cleaner and Sonax Full Effect or Plus.

For protection, HydrO2 works great and is very easy to use, especially on wheels. I like the Menzerna PowerLock sealant as well as Optimum Car Wax for the paint protection.

Hope that helps,
Ivan @ DI
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 05:25 AM   #1835
tmdals0213
Major
tmdals0213's Avatar
Switzerland
24
Rep
1,138
Posts

Drives: 3 Series Row Boat
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: amazon.com/prime

iTrader: (1)

Hello Ivan,

I recently got some chemical guys blitz and v07.

is it okay to dilute any of these solutions?

also regarding wet butter wax, is it okay to sort of warm it up and try applying in a more liquidly form?

thank you.
T
__________________
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 05:18 PM   #1836
tmdals0213
Major
tmdals0213's Avatar
Switzerland
24
Rep
1,138
Posts

Drives: 3 Series Row Boat
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: amazon.com/prime

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
Congrats shazzy. For washing, you could start with something basic like the Starter Kit, but I'd recommend getting a couple buckets and grit guards along with a good hose nozzle, etc.

For the wheels I like P21S Wheel Cleaner and Sonax Full Effect or Plus.

For protection, HydrO2 works great and is very easy to use, especially on wheels. I like the Menzerna PowerLock sealant as well as Optimum Car Wax for the paint protection.

Hope that helps,
Ivan @ DI
Hello Ivan,

I recently got some chemical guys blitz and v07.

is it okay to dilute any of these solutions?

also regarding wet butter wax, is it okay to sort of warm it up and try applying in a more liquidly form?

thank you.
T
__________________
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 02:56 AM   #1837
Detailed Image
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Detailed Image's Avatar
United_States
57
Rep
3,657
Posts


Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Albany, NY

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmdals0213 View Post
Hello Ivan,

I recently got some chemical guys blitz and v07.

is it okay to dilute any of these solutions?

also regarding wet butter wax, is it okay to sort of warm it up and try applying in a more liquidly form?

thank you.
T
Hi T,

I have only worked with V07 out of those products and I wouldn't recommend diluting it. I'm not sure if warming the butter wax up would make it easier to apply or not, but I will try to find out. As of now, I'd say just follow whatever Chem Guys recommend on the instructions.

Ivan @ DI
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 06:12 AM   #1838
tmdals0213
Major
tmdals0213's Avatar
Switzerland
24
Rep
1,138
Posts

Drives: 3 Series Row Boat
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: amazon.com/prime

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmdals0213 View Post
Hello Ivan,

I recently got some chemical guys blitz and v07.

is it okay to dilute any of these solutions?

also regarding wet butter wax, is it okay to sort of warm it up and try applying in a more liquidly form?

thank you.
T
Hi T,

I have only worked with V07 out of those products and I wouldn't recommend diluting it. I'm not sure if warming the butter wax up would make it easier to apply or not, but I will try to find out. As of now, I'd say just follow whatever Chem Guys recommend on the instructions.

Ivan @ DI
thank you! hope to hear back from you soon
__________________
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 11:08 AM   #1839
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
111
Rep
2,577
Posts

Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

So before he asked me, my brother paid for one of those Teflon coatings when he bought his WRX. Now he is considering selling the car to get something more appropriate for a family man. He asked me about a slight scratch on his hood, and some other little blemishes around that he wants me to buff out this weekend.

Is there anything I have to worry about differently with one of those coatings? I don't know if he has kept up on the annual application. I know I won't be putting the same coating back on, but does it come off funny or react differently to polishing?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 01:37 AM   #1840
Alihbaloch
First Lieutenant
Alihbaloch's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
329
Posts

Drives: 2008 335i, JB4,DCI,BOV,CP,FMIC
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: WALDORF, MD

iTrader: (3)

hey there, my car is 6-7 years old, it got everyday scratches, scratches from cleaning poorly by previous owners i guess.

what product i can use to bring it back to life?
i have never used a buffer before. or any clay wax.

i have used wax and clean it with micro fiber cloth before it cleans it YES, but doesn't take scratches off.

do you recommend the chemical guys foam cannon?

what will you recommend?
__________________
2008BMW335i
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 01:59 PM   #1841
Detailed Image
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Detailed Image's Avatar
United_States
57
Rep
3,657
Posts


Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Albany, NY

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
So before he asked me, my brother paid for one of those Teflon coatings when he bought his WRX. Now he is considering selling the car to get something more appropriate for a family man. He asked me about a slight scratch on his hood, and some other little blemishes around that he wants me to buff out this weekend.

Is there anything I have to worry about differently with one of those coatings? I don't know if he has kept up on the annual application. I know I won't be putting the same coating back on, but does it come off funny or react differently to polishing?
In general those teflon coatings are somewhat of a scam in my opinion. Therefore I doubt there is protection left on the surface that would alter the paint correction process unless something was applied very recently. To be safe work on a small and less visible area to ensure your polishing and/or sanding process works as expected.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 02:01 PM   #1842
Detailed Image
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Detailed Image's Avatar
United_States
57
Rep
3,657
Posts


Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Albany, NY

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alihbaloch View Post
hey there, my car is 6-7 years old, it got everyday scratches, scratches from cleaning poorly by previous owners i guess.

what product i can use to bring it back to life?
i have never used a buffer before. or any clay wax.

i have used wax and clean it with micro fiber cloth before it cleans it YES, but doesn't take scratches off.

do you recommend the chemical guys foam cannon?

what will you recommend?
I got your PM and sent a reply!

Greg
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 02:41 PM   #1843
Alihbaloch
First Lieutenant
Alihbaloch's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
329
Posts

Drives: 2008 335i, JB4,DCI,BOV,CP,FMIC
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: WALDORF, MD

iTrader: (3)

Replied
__________________
2008BMW335i
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2015, 02:30 PM   #1844
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
111
Rep
2,577
Posts

Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
In general those teflon coatings are somewhat of a scam in my opinion.
I felt the same, and told him once he asked me AFTER he had already paid for it. We were able to get that "hood sliding like Bo Duke" scratches off the hood no problem, then I sealed it up with my preferred Zaino coating. Got him bucket, washing gear, and some supplies for Christmas so he could do it himself going forward. . .
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 08:54 PM   #1845
russco
New Member
russco's Avatar
United Kingdom
3
Rep
7
Posts

Drives: 320i autovogue
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Telford sShropshire

iTrader: (0)

Hi Guys this might have already been asked so sorry if it has. i have an blue e92 and want to get a deep gloss finish on it. I'm for the UK so sun isn't as common as the states like most of you on the forum. which products would you recommend?? also i'm thinking of buying myself a machine polisher but am scared of burning the paint work are the meguiars G220 as good as people say? any advice and opinions are appreciated.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 03:20 PM   #1846
Detailed Image
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Detailed Image's Avatar
United_States
57
Rep
3,657
Posts


Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Albany, NY

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by russco View Post
Hi Guys this might have already been asked so sorry if it has. i have an blue e92 and want to get a deep gloss finish on it. I'm for the UK so sun isn't as common as the states like most of you on the forum. which products would you recommend?? also i'm thinking of buying myself a machine polisher but am scared of burning the paint work are the meguiars G220 as good as people say? any advice and opinions are appreciated.
Glad to see you want to maintain and improve the finish on the E92, that's a great color. Your question is a bit too general as there are way too many products on the market that quite simply do the same thing. Whether you're looking for wash soaps or compounds for correcting paint, you're bound to find 20+ products that people will recommend and that work great. We have quite a few articles trying to kind of narrow this down into what many of the better detailers out there like to use, but even then it comes down to what works best for you. Meguiar's in general has the biggest selection of overall products, from washes, to clay bar, polishes, etc., but that doesn't mean you should only get Meg's products.

For example, we have some Packages that can give you an idea of what products we like to use and you can check out some articles on our Ask-A-Pro Blog to get a better understanding of some of those products.

Personally, as far as the polisher goes, I like the Griot's Garage polisher and the Porter Cable more than the Meg's G220, but I have heard good things about the G220 as well.

Hope that gets you started in the right direction!

Ivan @ DI
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 01:25 AM   #1847
NJ Krish
Second Lieutenant
NJ Krish's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
288
Posts

Drives: Bmw 328xi 2008 Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 Bmw 328xi  [5.00]
Will be getting new VMR 710 with matte black finish coming in tomorrow, I want to keep them protected. What could I use on it? Keeping the matte finish. I was looking up Opti - Coat but stuff like that seems to change it to gloss. With my new rotors and pads the brake build up will be far less, just want to have it protected from salt and dirt etc.

or should I just wash them normally instead.
__________________
---------------------------------------------
Current 2008 Bmw 328xi Coupe Sport N51 /w 3 stage IM | VMR 710 w/ Conti DWS | AA Tune Stage 2 | AA Signature Exhaust | Red Cyba scoops | Lux V4 | Euro-box mod w/ Silicone intake hose | Eibach pro kit w/ Bilstein Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 03:05 PM   #1848
Jsoboti
Lieutenant
Jsoboti's Avatar
7
Rep
504
Posts

Drives: 2011 335i E92 M-Sport 6MT
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

I wash my car at the touchless car wash at least once a week, I had it clay barred and waxed about 6 months ago.

Before the summer hits (early down here in MS) I would like to have my car professionally detailed. The problem is I don't exactly know what I need. I would like the paint to be well protected and easy to maintain. What should I ask for from a detailer? How much should a good job cost?
__________________
JB4 G5 ISO FF | BMS Performance Intake | BMS Wheel Spacers | VRSF Catless DP | Red CYBA Scoops | Supreme Power Lowering Perches | VRSF Charge Pipe | VMR 810 19x8.5 ET35 19x9.5 ET33 | Michelin PSS 235/265 | BMS CDV | BMS Clutch Stop | 4'' Tips
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:33 AM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST