E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Selling the car with or without coilovers?

03-27-2017, 12:04 AM   #1
n55jb4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328xi 2007 Auto

Selling the car with or without coilovers?

I'm putting coils on my 328 and was wondering when I decide to sell it - would there be an issue selling it with coilovers? I'm suspecting 99% of regular people have no idea what coilovers are and they will say car is too stiff and probably needs a new suspension lol
Anyone has experience selling like this and if it's a no issue to sell car with coilovers?

P.S. I can't do swap myself due to back issues so paying a shop $400-500 for every swap is not an option, I would prefer to sell it with coils on
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 10:32 AM   #2
Underground6t9
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi, Lexus is250

Selling a car with aftermarket suspension will deter potential buyers away. Now if you end up trading it in it won't mater.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 10:35 AM   #3
n55jb4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underground6t9 View Post
Selling a car with aftermarket suspension will deter potential buyers away. Now if you end up trading it in it won't mater.
Sad, but I guess that's true I'll keep stock suspension and will have to pay to swap it then - I don't see any other choice
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 11:22 AM   #4
Atx328
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i sport

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2011 BMW 328  [0.00]
I had a non-BMW with slightly stiff Coilovers and I had 4 potential buyers tell me that it was too stiff.

So I swapped the shocks back to stock and the next person that drove it bought it immediately.
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2017, 11:25 AM   #5
Newb_bimmerE92
Rep
Drives: Space Gray E92 335i

Similar situation, I had a GTI on coilovers and I think it deterred most people. I think things like exhaust, suspension work, intakes, tunes, etc. indicate to some people that car was likely beat on in return making it a potential headache down the line.
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2017, 04:11 PM   #6
n55jb4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yeah, you guys right. Well, I don't know what to do. I have a box of coilovers on my hand and i'm itchy to install it. It's a shame most people don't appreciate a good suspension and only want soft and plush floaty stock garbage suspension KW V1s aren't overly stiff, in fact they are softest ones among coilovers, have good reviews and lifetime warranty and yet I'm sure I'll have issues selling the car with them
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 04:48 PM   #7
Mr. Tasty
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT

I have never met someone buying a used BMW having issues with purchasing a modified car. It is older and out of warranty.
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2017, 12:09 AM   #8
n55jb4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Tasty View Post
I have never met someone buying a used BMW having issues with purchasing a modified car. It is older and out of warranty.
That would be wonderful, but posters above are saying opposite. I'm confused
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 12:30 AM   #9
sk5
Registered
Rep
Drives: 06' 330i

as am i GWIS though!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 01:00 AM   #10
trjn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 and a B7 quattro

You will never get back your mod money. Your money, your car. You can install whatever you want in your car.

Even if you put the stock suspension back when selling you will still pay for the swap(twice), unless you Diy. And what are you going to do with the coilovers you take out? Sell it for cheap? You will be wasting your time/money.
Also good condition coilovers are better than busted stock suspension anyway.

Not worth the trouble. If it makes you feel better, I sold my e46 with coilovers installed and didn't have any problems with the buyers. You have to be up front about it and for the right buyer, it may actually get you better value.
However, if you are going to sell the car soon and your stock suspension is good, why even bother getting/ installing coilovers.
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2017, 02:25 AM   #11
n55jb4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trjn View Post
You will never get back your mod money. Your money, your car. You can install whatever you want in your car.

Even if you put the stock suspension back when selling you will still pay for the swap(twice), unless you Diy. And what are you going to do with the coilovers you take out? Sell it for cheap? You will be wasting your time/money.
Also good condition coilovers are better than busted stock suspension anyway.

Not worth the trouble. If it makes you feel better, I sold my e46 with coilovers installed and didn't have any problems with the buyers. You have to be up front about it and for the right buyer, it may actually get you better value.
However, if you are going to sell the car soon and your stock suspension is good, why even bother getting/ installing coilovers.
Yeah you are right man. It's just I was owning this car for a long time and always wanted coils and now I finally got them in a shiny box and it's just I'm dying to install them. On the other hand I totally agree it's a waste.
At this point I'm ready to lose mod money, all I want is to sell it with no issues with coils on when time comes, but I fear since it's increasingly hard to sell old bimmers I will get stuck waiting for that right buyer while 99% will turn away thinking suspension is broken or something since it will seem too stiff for them
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 09:46 AM   #12
Jakester
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i 6MT

If you always wanted coils and now you have them, install them. There are buyers out there for stock cars and there are buyers out there for modified cars. If you are just getting to modding your car, I would hope that it will be a long time down the road until you consider selling it anyway. Enjoy what you own while you own it.
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2017, 10:33 AM   #13
Newb_bimmerE92
Rep
Drives: Space Gray E92 335i

Yeah, the satisfaction you get from it will probably outweigh the potential (if any) loss in money from resale.
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2017, 02:42 PM   #14
dannyhavok
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 328xi 6MT

Why mod your car if you're already planning on getting rid of it? Install them and enjoy it, it'll probably make you want to keep the car longer anyway.

I trade in my last car, a MINI, with ST coilovers installed. The dealership wanted the stock suspension so they could swap it back to sell it.
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2017, 02:45 PM   #15
n55jb4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyhavok View Post
Why mod your car if you're already planning on getting rid of it? Install them and enjoy it, it'll probably make you want to keep the car longer anyway.

I trade in my last car, a MINI, with ST coilovers installed. The dealership wanted the stock suspension so they could swap it back to sell it.
Was ride bumpy on ST coils? I'm ready for it to be stiff, but I don't want to get bumpy up and down constantly lol
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 04:08 PM   #16
dannyhavok
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 328xi 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by n55jb4 View Post
Was ride bumpy on ST coils? I'm ready for it to be stiff, but I don't want to get bumpy up and down constantly lol
I didn't find it bad at all. It was a stiff little car in general but it just felt firm and tight, not harsh or jarring. I'm going to get KW V1's for my 328xi I think.
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2017, 04:30 PM   #17
trjn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 and a B7 quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by n55jb4 View Post
Yeah you are right man. It's just I was owning this car for a long time and always wanted coils and now I finally got them in a shiny box and it's just I'm dying to install them. On the other hand I totally agree it's a waste.
At this point I'm ready to lose mod money, all I want is to sell it with no issues with coils on when time comes, but I fear since it's increasingly hard to sell old bimmers I will get stuck waiting for that right buyer while 99% will turn away thinking suspension is broken or something since it will seem too stiff for them
Its not increasingly hard to sell old bimmers.
I couldnt find a car with the packages I wanted in the car for almost a year. At least in my area and they charge a premium. You are right, you get a base (no) package bimmer for sure for much less money and they are everywhere.
I am sure I can sell my car quite quickly(for a respectable price) whether modified or not. My car is currently stock and may do some suspension work soon. But I already have eyes for a next coupe(the one I am looking for are quite rare in this part of the country) and if it happens to appear for a decent price, I will sell my current car regardless if I do the suspension work or not. If your car is well maintained, fully loaded and the buyer even remotely knows about the importance of packages, he/she will buy it regardless of suspension.

PS: A quality set of coilovers will ride better(smoother) than stock xdrive suspension unless you lower it to the extremes.

You can send the coilovers to me if you dont want to install them.
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2017, 05:29 PM   #18
n55jb4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trjn View Post
You can send the coilovers to me if you dont want to install them.
Appreciate 0