E90Post
 


GTB Performance
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > My 335D has been re-mapped! POWER!!!



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-17-2007, 02:51 PM   #23
squeezebm
Colonel
 
Drives: Audi
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Notts

Posts: 2,652
iTrader: (0)

Only one doubt,would it possible to use a waitrose carrier bag for the chilling part as i can't stand Jamie Oliver
squeezebm is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-17-2007, 03:19 PM   #24
Oli
Campervan man
 
Drives: RS3 and VW Kombi
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: here, there, everywhere......

Posts: 2,667
iTrader: (1)

Wow that sounds amazing, I cant wait to hear the actual figures.:rocks: . As quick as a CSL - that is quick!!!

I ordered my E91 335D today, and like stated above, am already looking forward to remap time.

I like the way, when the ECU lid is open, there is a cup of water only inches away!!!!!!, you wouldnt want to knock that over
Oli is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-17-2007, 04:40 PM   #25
peppernick
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92 335D, Z4M Roadster
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: London, UK

Posts: 350
iTrader: (0)

Squeezebm, he's already thinking about stocking up on portable freezers, you may want to have a word with him ......lol


OliH: E91 335D + re-map, perfect stealth machine. Nobody would even imagine what the wagon is capable off until they get blown away. No loud exhausts or revvy engines, just 100% stealth power!


Quote:
I like the way, when the ECU lid is open, there is a cup of water only inches away!!!!!!, you wouldnt want to knock that over
As you can see, I only let people who knows exactly what they are doing to work on my car. 'Accident' hardly ever happens
peppernick is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-17-2007, 05:56 PM   #26
Fartpimpson
Colonel
 
Fartpimpson's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Alhambra, CA

Posts: 2,416
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Fartpimpson is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2007, 12:20 PM   #27
Oli
Campervan man
 
Drives: RS3 and VW Kombi
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: here, there, everywhere......

Posts: 2,667
iTrader: (1)

Nick, how is the ride on our 'british' roads with the springs on it??
Oli is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2007, 12:59 PM   #28
stressdoc
Moderator
 
stressdoc's Avatar
 
Drives: F80 YMB, 335 E90 ZSP+
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: MO

Posts: 10,041
iTrader: (0)

+1
stressdoc is offline   Dominica
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2007, 01:31 PM   #29
335hopefull
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: thinking about 335 sdn auto sp
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: southern cal

Posts: 31
iTrader: (0)

awsome
335hopefull is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2007, 03:30 PM   #30
adc
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2009 E90 M3 ED
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MD/DC

Posts: 4,113
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmib View Post
Thats very impressive
Why? He now has a modified diesel car that's about as fast as a regular 335i. It's got a fun-robbing automatic transmission which now overheats and could potentially become a big paperweight anytime...


Wouldn't you rather start with the 335i and modify from there?


I know I'll probably be flamed for asking these questions, but really, why would an enthusiast start with a compromised driver's car?
adc is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2007, 04:01 PM   #31
gIzzE
Major General
 
gIzzE's Avatar
 
Drives: E350 cdi Estate.
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Norfolk, UK.

Posts: 5,129
iTrader: (2)

adc, I take it you have not driven one of these, the 680nm or torque is what makes this car.

I did 40k miles in my remapped 535d and never had a single problem with my gearbox even holding back which it does when it overheats.

You guys make me die with your 'gotta be a stick' nonsense, I would take the step over the manual everytime with the 335i/d, far more enjoyable.


I do agree that I would personally prefer the 335i and that is what I bought, but I tell you now, in coupe form the 335i is going to loose shed loads of value when the M3 comes out and it is no longer the top model, where as the 335d will hold its value well as everyone thinks of diesels as 40mpg cars, and when you are paying over $8 gallon mpg starts to become a concern.
gIzzE is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2007, 04:23 PM   #32
adc
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2009 E90 M3 ED
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MD/DC

Posts: 4,113
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
adc, I take it you have not driven one of these, the 680nm or torque is what makes this car.
It may be a big number, but it's spread over a much narrower rev range, which in turn means the gearing must be long, which in turn means the torque to the wheels in gear is not that different from a 335i/535i.

Which in turn explains why the 0-60, 1/4 mile, track times are lower for stock 335i vs. 335d, and why modifying the 335d only makes it about as fast as the 335i.

I could be wrong of course, but I'd like to see opinions to the contrary supported by factual evidence.

Quote:
I did 40k miles in my remapped 535d and never had a single problem with my gearbox even holding back which it does when it overheats.
Good for you. By his own admission, the OP seems to have some tranny issues.

Quote:
You guys make me die with your 'gotta be a stick' nonsense, I would take the step over the manual everytime with the 335i/d, far more enjoyable.
I hope I don't make you die, it's not my intention. But claiming an automatic tranny is more enjoyable, it has got to be just a personal preference, and one that perhaps is not shared by the vast mojority of those who label themselves driving enthusiasts.

In the end, it's whatever floats your boat. Me personally, I would never buy an automatic car for myself. Therefore 335d/535d are excluded.


Quote:
I do agree that I would personally prefer the 335i and that is what I bought, but I tell you now, in coupe form the 335i is going to loose shed loads of value when the M3 comes out
Sorry. I buy my cars for my own personal enjoyment, not the person I'll eventually sell it to.
adc is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2007, 05:19 PM   #33
Terry335
Banned
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Socal

Posts: 2,587
iTrader: (0)

Feel free to post the 335D bin file to the forum if its available...
Terry335 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2007, 05:23 PM   #34
peppernick
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92 335D, Z4M Roadster
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: London, UK

Posts: 350
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Why? He now has a modified diesel car that's about as fast as a regular 335i. It's got a fun-robbing automatic transmission which now overheats and could potentially become a big paperweight anytime...


Wouldn't you rather start with the 335i and modify from there?


I know I'll probably be flamed for asking these questions, but really, why would an enthusiast start with a compromised driver's car?
I part exchanged my 6MT E46 M3 for the 335D. The manual gearbox was brilliant for me but it is now a 'fun-robbing' option. I got tired of it. I prefer not to use the clutch anymore, even on my multiple track day outings and Nurburgring trips. It's my new personal preference.

As for the automatic transmission overheating, probably but only time will tell. I guess experimenting is part of the enjoyable side of tuning. If it doesn't work, I'll just put it back to stock. However, it's working brilliantly now, and at least I am willing to try it out so other people will know.

I chose the 335D because it's something different, something I haven't owned before, a 'performance' diesel car. It just floats my boat this moment in time. If I get bored of it, I'll sell on and get an E92 M3, or an E46 CSL, a 335i or switch camp to Porsche with their brilliant GT3s. All depends on what I like at a specific time. Right now I'm enjoying myself with the D, so it will stay.

I am an enthusiast, but more a hobbyist intriqued by the latest gadgets. I'm never a purist, but I understand where you're coming from.


Quote:
I buy my cars for my own personal enjoyment
That's exactly what I have done
peppernick is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2007, 05:29 PM   #35
peppernick
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92 335D, Z4M Roadster
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: London, UK

Posts: 350
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliH View Post
Nick, how is the ride on our 'british' roads with the springs on it??
Again it's subjective. For me, it's no problems at all, I ran round London in a E46 M3 dropped on TEIN coilovers with solid bushes for 3 years. This set up is a lot more 'comfortable'. However, if you find even the stock Sport suspension on the harsh side, you'll hate it.
peppernick is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2007, 05:31 PM   #36
gIzzE
Major General
 
gIzzE's Avatar
 
Drives: E350 cdi Estate.
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Norfolk, UK.

Posts: 5,129
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
It may be a big number, but it's spread over a much narrower rev range, which in turn means the gearing must be long, which in turn means the torque to the wheels in gear is not that different from a 335i/535i.

Which in turn explains why the 0-60, 1/4 mile, track times are lower for stock 335i vs. 335d, and why modifying the 335d only makes it about as fast as the 335i.

I could be wrong of course, but I'd like to see opinions to the contrary supported by factual evidence.



Good for you. By his own admission, the OP seems to have some tranny issues.



I hope I don't make you die, it's not my intention. But claiming an automatic tranny is more enjoyable, it has got to be just a personal preference, and one that perhaps is not shared by the vast mojority of those who label themselves driving enthusiasts.

In the end, it's whatever floats your boat. Me personally, I would never buy an automatic car for myself. Therefore 335d/535d are excluded.




Sorry. I buy my cars for my own personal enjoyment, not the person I'll eventually sell it to.

Some good points, and I agree with you always buy what you like, I do.

The 'stick' comment was just something that makes us laugh in the UK, not meant as a serious dig, just light hearted banter.
I had a CSL until 2 months ago and that had SMG, and I still got people tell me that wasn't a real drivers transmission, if it isn't a manual it isn't a real gearbox. Sorry I just don't agree with that at all.
I can drive better with the step, one less thing to think about, I took a few manual 335i's out and just prefered it, as you say personal preference.
The manual is fine, but these are luxury German autobahn mile munchers we are talking about here, now a GT3 I would always buy in manual guise, until the DSG arrives of course.
gIzzE is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-20-2007, 08:50 AM   #37
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
 
dxb335d's Avatar
 
Drives: E46 M3 CS
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ''Fandango Towers''

Posts: 29,262
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
love it nick absolutely love it.

when are you next down the pod?

carl
dxb335d is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      04-20-2007, 09:38 AM   #38
- Paul -
Major General
 
- Paul -'s Avatar
 
Drives: see above.
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Yorkshire, UK

Posts: 7,271
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [5.00]
2005 645  [4.50]
Test drove the 335d yesterday - it certainly is fast. Still couldn't get to grips with the auto though. As I'd been ragging it with full throttle the gearbox automatically adjusts its revs etc so it keeps the revs high. Found this a little disconcerting as I wasn't controlling the revs. If it were a manual I would have changed down. (I did change down eventually by pushing the flappy paddle thing.) Suppose it just takes getting used to. 335i test drive next (if the dealer can source one!!)
__________________
- Paul - is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      04-20-2007, 09:41 AM   #39
spesrf25
Second Lieutenant
 
spesrf25's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: UK (Florida Native)

Posts: 240
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stnewcar View Post
Test drove the 335d yesterday - it certainly is fast. Still couldn't get to grips with the auto though. As I'd been ragging it with full throttle the gearbox automatically adjusts its revs etc so it keeps the revs high. Found this a little disconcerting as I wasn't controlling the revs. If it were a manual I would have changed down. (I did change down eventually by pushing the flappy paddle thing.) Suppose it just takes getting used to. 335i test drive next (if the dealer can source one!!)
Where do you live? Just broke mine in a week ago.....I'm near huntingdon. I'm tired of seeing all of these people wanting a 335i test drive, and unable to receive. I'm going to offer one good deed to someone, and hook a bro up.
__________________
2007 335i Coupe
Space Gray, Black w/Dakota/Aluminum, Sports Pac, Premium Pac, iDrive, Manual....Mods: Painted Reflectors, Hoen xenonmatch bulbs for Angels and Fogs

spesrf25 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      04-20-2007, 10:02 AM   #40
- Paul -
Major General
 
- Paul -'s Avatar
 
Drives: see above.
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Yorkshire, UK

Posts: 7,271
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [5.00]
2005 645  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spesrf25 View Post
Where do you live? Just broke mine in a week ago.....I'm near huntingdon. I'm tired of seeing all of these people wanting a 335i test drive, and unable to receive. I'm going to offer one good deed to someone, and hook a bro up.

I'm in York - bit of a way from you but many many thanks for the offer!!!

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&hl...=UTF8&z=8&om=1
__________________
- Paul - is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      04-20-2007, 10:06 AM   #41
335hopefull
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: thinking about 335 sdn auto sp
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: southern cal

Posts: 31
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppernick View Post
I part exchanged my 6MT E46 M3 for the 335D. The manual gearbox was brilliant for me but it is now a 'fun-robbing' option. I got tired of it. I prefer not to use the clutch anymore, even on my multiple track day outings and Nurburgring trips. It's my new personal preference.

As for the automatic transmission overheating, probably but only time will tell. I guess experimenting is part of the enjoyable side of tuning. If it doesn't work, I'll just put it back to stock. However, it's working brilliantly now, and at least I am willing to try it out so other people will know.

I chose the 335D because it's something different, something I haven't owned before, a 'performance' diesel car. It just floats my boat this moment in time. If I get bored of it, I'll sell on and get an E92 M3, or an E46 CSL, a 335i or switch camp to Porsche with their brilliant GT3s. All depends on what I like at a specific time. Right now I'm enjoying myself with the D, so it will stay.

I am an enthusiast, but more a hobbyist intriqued by the latest gadgets. I'm never a purist, but I understand where you're coming from.



That's exactly what I have done
enjoy enjoy enjoy
335hopefull is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-20-2007, 10:08 AM   #42
spesrf25
Second Lieutenant
 
spesrf25's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: UK (Florida Native)

Posts: 240
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stnewcar View Post
I'm in York - bit of a way from you but many many thanks for the offer!!!

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&hl...=UTF8&z=8&om=1
Yeah, that's a bit far.
__________________
2007 335i Coupe
Space Gray, Black w/Dakota/Aluminum, Sports Pac, Premium Pac, iDrive, Manual....Mods: Painted Reflectors, Hoen xenonmatch bulbs for Angels and Fogs

spesrf25 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      04-20-2007, 12:54 PM   #43
bronco
Colonel
 
bronco's Avatar
 
Drives: e92
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Atlanta

Posts: 2,103
iTrader: (0)

I just wish we had the 335d in USA...
__________________
SaaS - The world of tomorrow is already here...www.saaschronicles.com
bronco is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-20-2007, 01:01 PM   #44
gIzzE
Major General
 
gIzzE's Avatar
 
Drives: E350 cdi Estate.
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Norfolk, UK.

Posts: 5,129
iTrader: (2)

With fuel at $2-3 a gallon does it really matter?? do you really need to save 5mpg over the 335i?
gIzzE is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:21 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST