E90Post
 


Lux Angel Eyes
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Great Service or OVERKILL?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-15-2007, 12:02 AM   #1
LEA69
BORRIS the BMW!
LEA69's Avatar
Australia
11
Rep
369
Posts

 
Drives: BMW E90 MSPORTS & BMW E34 535i
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Send a message via MSN to LEA69 Send a message via Yahoo to LEA69
Great Service or OVERKILL?

Hey guys, its me again.... my car reached 13000kms and the oil light was on so I looked thru my manual and round out that i needed to top it up just under a litre. OK, so I pop the bonnet and right in front of me there is a sticker saying 'BMW recommends CASTROL oil'. So I ring BMW and ask what model number/ code of Castrol oil i should get and he said that I had to come into BMW and pick one up..... how much? $30.... the guy said that BMW use a 'special' blend of castrol oil... and that I shouldnt just go out and by off the shelf oil for my car...yadda yadda yadda... I'm a chick right.... i know how to drive but dont know much about engines etc...so i rock up that arvo and what do i get:

1 stock standard castrol oil that you can buy off the shelf- no BMW logo or endorsement on the bottle.....

BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For my $30, it came in a nice black zipper vinyl black BMW bag, with wet towelettes, gloves and instructions in a neat little packet...........






WHAT THE HELL??? its oil! I just paid $30 for all that crap when all I did was open the lid, pour 500mls in and put the bottle away!!!??? Super Cheap auto sell that exact same oil for $13.95.

Man I feel like an idiot! I could have just bought me oil and lunch on the way!
Mate, dont get me wrong, I do enjoy the luxuries in life but come on... its like buying satin pouches to pick up dog poop rather than using a scoop - waste of money????!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2007, 03:17 AM   #2
astra
Brigadier General
astra's Avatar
Australia
48
Rep
3,748
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 325Ci Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Send a message via MSN to astra
omg you're a chick????
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2007, 03:20 AM   #3
uhaulball
Brigadier General
59
Rep
4,164
Posts

 
Drives: e90 330xi
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (11)

Send a message via AIM to uhaulball
that is once sexy car...
__________________
'06 bsm e90 330xi : 18" VMR CSL : KW V3 : GruppeM Rep Intake : UUC/Corsa Catback : Hartge Lip : ACS Roof Spoiler
OEM CF Trunk Spoiler : CF Emblems. Pillars. Mirror. Grille : LUXER12 led plate : V1 Hardwired : OG.longtran e90post sticker! circa 2005
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2007, 05:32 AM   #4
moO moO nEL
First Lieutenant
5
Rep
395
Posts

 
Drives: 323i Msport; DC2R (track car)
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Wait a sec...
Why paid $30?
My car has the same warning light on today and I just drove my car back to the dealership after work and they top it up for free.
Also booked next week to fix sunroof rattles and the broken cup holder...and picked up a nice new X5 brochure.

__________________
cheers,

Nelson
2010 NSW CAMS Supersprints champion (3B class)
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2007, 06:04 AM   #5
Chris.G
Banned
Chris.G's Avatar
Australia
44
Rep
3,122
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 LCI MSPORT X5 30d
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (0)

You got suckered in Well ppl learn from there mistakes BMW Artarmon charged $500 for the first oil service i told them to get stuffed and complained to BMW Aus and afterwards i was charged around 15-20 dollars (i forgot now) instead.

Dealerships are mostly called Stealerships these days for a reason
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2007, 06:46 AM   #6
moO moO nEL
First Lieutenant
5
Rep
395
Posts

 
Drives: 323i Msport; DC2R (track car)
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris.G View Post
You got suckered in Well ppl learn from there mistakes BMW Artarmon charged $500 for the first oil service i told them to get stuffed and complained to BMW Aus and afterwards i was charged around 15-20 dollars (i forgot now) instead.
Actually I went Artarmon today. I think they have changed.
__________________
cheers,

Nelson
2010 NSW CAMS Supersprints champion (3B class)
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2007, 06:46 AM   #7
LEA69
BORRIS the BMW!
LEA69's Avatar
Australia
11
Rep
369
Posts

 
Drives: BMW E90 MSPORTS & BMW E34 535i
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Send a message via MSN to LEA69 Send a message via Yahoo to LEA69
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!


and yes Astra... im a chick as well!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2007, 06:47 AM   #8
LEA69
BORRIS the BMW!
LEA69's Avatar
Australia
11
Rep
369
Posts

 
Drives: BMW E90 MSPORTS & BMW E34 535i
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Send a message via MSN to LEA69 Send a message via Yahoo to LEA69
BMW service said that the oil is a consumable part so they wont do it for free...... bugger
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2007, 03:31 PM   #9
1q2w3e4r
Breakfast at Tiffany's
1q2w3e4r's Avatar
12
Rep
1,024
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to 1q2w3e4r
Change dealers, M's are notorious for oil consumption. My SA has given me a couple of litres of top up oil for my M3 for no charge as you could only get the oil through BMW dealers as it's specific for the M3 and now M5/6 engines.
__________________
|| 0-60 3.3| 60-130 7.1| 1/4 11.054@ 132.89 ||
Check out my movies
Current; 996 TT, Cayenne TT, BMW E30, Wifey's; Wrangler, 356A Coupe
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2007, 08:28 PM   #10
eml
Private
Australia
0
Rep
97
Posts

 
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sydney AU

iTrader: (0)

moO moO nEL, you mean the up-and-coming X5? hmmm, gotta visit the dealers soon then.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2007, 09:10 PM   #11
Neo JB
Guest
Rep
n/a
Posts

 
Drives:


Quote:
Originally Posted by 1q2w3e4r View Post
Change dealers, M's are notorious for oil consumption. My SA has given me a couple of litres of top up oil for my M3 for no charge as you could only get the oil through BMW dealers as it's specific for the M3 and now M5/6 engines.
LOL if you own an M3 and are buying a 335 from your dealer, they should chuck in a gold plated Rolex

I had the same problem on mine - needed half a litre top up so I took it to the dealer and told them that I was told that it wouldn't need oil so they need to fix it and got it back an hour later, all topped up, no charge.

You just have to be firm with dealers, otherwise they'll try it on (in BMWs way, they try it on politely LOL)
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2007, 12:29 AM   #12
docbeemer
First Lieutenant
docbeemer's Avatar
Australia
3
Rep
306
Posts

 
Drives: E92 SG 335i
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Melbourne Australia

iTrader: (0)

hi lea,
OMG which dealer did you go to? I've done 4500 kms on my 335 and I'm in three minds as to when to change the oil and filter (the whole new engine break in thing)- at about 5000, 10000, or when the car tells me to. The dealer/mechanic you went to sounds like a snake oil merchant- not good if they want to sell you a car down the track. It shits me when dealers treat people like rich idiots just because they drive nice but expensive cars esp BMW and even though they are not rich or idiots
__________________
335i | 6MT | SG | Jade Grey | Poplar Grain Grey | 19" 230 rims | Sunroof | NAV with TV & voice control | HiFi | Sport Suspension | Rear Sunblind | 35% tints
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2007, 01:37 AM   #13
moO moO nEL
First Lieutenant
5
Rep
395
Posts

 
Drives: 323i Msport; DC2R (track car)
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eml View Post
moO moO nEL, you mean the up-and-coming X5? hmmm, gotta visit the dealers soon then.
Yes the up-and-coming X5
The brochure and price list is there but they still can't organize a car sitting in the showroom.
According to the sales rep, all the Feb production quotas are already sold...by people without seeing the actual car.
__________________
cheers,

Nelson
2010 NSW CAMS Supersprints champion (3B class)
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2007, 04:28 AM   #14
eml
Private
Australia
0
Rep
97
Posts

 
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sydney AU

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moO moO nEL View Post
Yes the up-and-coming X5
The brochure and price list is there but they still can't organize a car sitting in the showroom.
According to the sales rep, all the Feb production quotas are already sold...by people without seeing the actual car.
in that case, this means a visit to the dealers soon (actually, sooner that soon).
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2007, 04:52 AM   #15
LEA69
BORRIS the BMW!
LEA69's Avatar
Australia
11
Rep
369
Posts

 
Drives: BMW E90 MSPORTS & BMW E34 535i
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Send a message via MSN to LEA69 Send a message via Yahoo to LEA69
this was Doncaster BMW , Melbourne East suburbs
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2007, 07:02 AM   #16
docbeemer
First Lieutenant
docbeemer's Avatar
Australia
3
Rep
306
Posts

 
Drives: E92 SG 335i
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Melbourne Australia

iTrader: (0)

That's where I got my car and got my last one (E39) serviced! I'm a bloke- I wonder if they would try that same crap with me? :mad: I guess we'll soon see. I need to go in and get the handbrake cable tightened so I'll ask them then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEA69 View Post
this was Doncaster BMW , Melbourne East suburbs
__________________
335i | 6MT | SG | Jade Grey | Poplar Grain Grey | 19" 230 rims | Sunroof | NAV with TV & voice control | HiFi | Sport Suspension | Rear Sunblind | 35% tints
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2007, 06:04 PM   #17
astra
Brigadier General
astra's Avatar
Australia
48
Rep
3,748
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 325Ci Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Send a message via MSN to astra
Quote:
Originally Posted by docbeemer View Post
hi lea,
OMG which dealer did you go to? I've done 4500 kms on my 335 and I'm in three minds as to when to change the oil and filter (the whole new engine break in thing)- at about 5000, 10000, or when the car tells me to. The dealer/mechanic you went to sounds like a snake oil merchant- not good if they want to sell you a car down the track. It shits me when dealers treat people like rich idiots just because they drive nice but expensive cars esp BMW and even though they are not rich or idiots
i first changed my oil at 10,000kms
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2007, 06:05 PM   #18
astra
Brigadier General
astra's Avatar
Australia
48
Rep
3,748
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 325Ci Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Send a message via MSN to astra
Quote:
Originally Posted by docbeemer View Post
That's where I got my car and got my last one (E39) serviced! I'm a bloke- I wonder if they would try that same crap with me? :mad: I guess we'll soon see. I need to go in and get the handbrake cable tightened so I'll ask them then.
i'm a chick, and they don't try crap on with me anymore... they did to start with...
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2007, 06:19 PM   #19
docbeemer
First Lieutenant
docbeemer's Avatar
Australia
3
Rep
306
Posts

 
Drives: E92 SG 335i
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Melbourne Australia

iTrader: (0)

I've read all the posts in the main section on when people are changing their oil and there seems to be no real concensus. I remember reading an article in a great website called "The truth about cars". They are even more cynical than I am so I love reading their articles. Anyway, say that with new engines, the tolerances are so good and early wear characteristics so slight (they quoted a study done in this regard) that early oil changes are essentially unnecessary. Despite this, I am leaning towards 10,000 k's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
i first changed my oil at 10,000kms
__________________
335i | 6MT | SG | Jade Grey | Poplar Grain Grey | 19" 230 rims | Sunroof | NAV with TV & voice control | HiFi | Sport Suspension | Rear Sunblind | 35% tints
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2007, 06:24 PM   #20
docbeemer
First Lieutenant
docbeemer's Avatar
Australia
3
Rep
306
Posts

 
Drives: E92 SG 335i
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Melbourne Australia

iTrader: (0)

It's so cool to see some aussie chicks who are passionate about their cars. Sometimes I wish my girlfriend was more like that. Keep it up girls

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
i'm a chick, and they don't try crap on with me anymore... they did to start with...
__________________
335i | 6MT | SG | Jade Grey | Poplar Grain Grey | 19" 230 rims | Sunroof | NAV with TV & voice control | HiFi | Sport Suspension | Rear Sunblind | 35% tints
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2007, 06:40 PM   #21
astra
Brigadier General
astra's Avatar
Australia
48
Rep
3,748
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 325Ci Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Send a message via MSN to astra
Quote:
Originally Posted by docbeemer View Post
I've read all the posts in the main section on when people are changing their oil and there seems to be no real concensus. I remember reading an article in a great website called "The truth about cars". They are even more cynical than I am so I love reading their articles. Anyway, say that with new engines, the tolerances are so good and early wear characteristics so slight (they quoted a study done in this regard) that early oil changes are essentially unnecessary. Despite this, I am leaning towards 10,000 k's.
piece of mind...
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2007, 06:45 PM   #22
docbeemer
First Lieutenant
docbeemer's Avatar
Australia
3
Rep
306
Posts

 
Drives: E92 SG 335i
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Melbourne Australia

iTrader: (0)

Yeah, and the extra (paranoid) care we give to new cars. Eg I wash my car every 2 weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
piece of mind...
__________________
335i | 6MT | SG | Jade Grey | Poplar Grain Grey | 19" 230 rims | Sunroof | NAV with TV & voice control | HiFi | Sport Suspension | Rear Sunblind | 35% tints
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:28 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST